Hiring disabled people to get to front of lines? WHAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
SMH, that is just ridiculous!! :rolleyes2

Most of the lines are streamlined any more, only a handful are left that you need to use an alternate entrance, and many times you end up waiting LONGER!!!

Case and point, Spaceship Earth!! There will be NO LINE outside for the average person, but you use the handicapped entrance and you can wait anywhere from 15-30 minutes!

These people should just use FP, seriously!!

Here is their 'Meet the Team' information from their website:
http://www.dreamtoursflorida.com/about-us/meet-our-team/

And, here's a link to their photo page of customers:
http://www.dreamtoursflorida.com/photo-gallery/
- according to their website, very disabled people are thir target customers, including people in group homes who would not be otherwise able to go.

Maybe Dream Tours needs to make an official statement distancing themselves from the NYP article and clarifying that they are not "black market".

Actually, if I was the owner of Dream Tours, and if I was actually on the up-and-up, I'd be consulting a lawyer right now. :headache:

Maybe Dream Tours needs to make an official statement distancing themselves from the NYP article and clarifying that they are not "black market".

Actually, if I was the owner of Dream Tours, and if I was actually on the up-and-up, I'd be consulting a lawyer right now. :headache:
Me too

I'm sorry, but I honestly don't believe overall that you save time doing this tactic.

I've used a GAC and in most instances it's a slower process than the regular lines. I won't say there aren't certain attractions where it might be quicker, but overall it's actually much slower.

Also, if you use a scooter or wheelchair you don't need a GAC to use alternate entrances for attractions. The handicap vehicle gets you to an alternate entrance, not the GAC.

I believe there are many misconceptions about all of this at Disney.

If you use fastpass that will get you into the attractions quicker.
That's what I thought as well!!! I know that there are some very special circumstances where you might not have to wait in line, but that would be pretty much a Make a Wish situation or such.

From the article: “My daughter waited one minute to get on ‘It’s a Small World’ — the other kids had to wait 2 1/2 hours,” crowed one mom, who hired a disabled guide through Dream Tours Florida.

If it wasn't a time saver, I don't think they'd keep doing it.

Unbelievable.
I've been to WDW more than 30 times, at all times of year. Well, not on Christmas day or July 4th, but I'm not stupid!!! I have seen IASW have a wait time of 40 mins just one time. Otherwise? Less than 15!! I can't imagine it ever having a wait time of 2.5 hrs. And to say that someone waited one min?? Just not so. As already noted, the ECV/handicap line is the same as the other line...and it doesn't always mean that you get right on!!!

This story just boggles my mind. I can't imagine someone actually telling people this. There are so many incorrect things being said, or that can at least be questioned.

I agree that there are soulless people out there but I am not sure I agree with the outrage on this. Surely the woman from the article is someone of high means but low class. She is the type of person that thinks they are owed an entitlement and clearly lacks character.

But as the PP said - look at it from a different light. It doesn't mean the entire practice is bad. A person with a disability is making good use of a challenging situation. They have a competitive advantage and are using it (putting aside the argument on just how much better a GAC is over proper planning and fast passes).

If you hired a tour guide, showed up that day and it was someone in a EVC would you decline their services? If you had an excellent time with them and a great day, would you rehire them next time or would you pass because of the GAC? If you say pass, that's getting into a discrimination grey area.

Someone is offering you a cheaper rate and potentially faster lines,why wouldn't you hire them? Should someone with a disABILITY not be allowed to be a tour guide?

The jerks from the article are not placing an ad on Craigslist looking for a disabled person to exploit. They are hiring a professional that has held themselves out for hire.

I think the real issue here should be the sense of entitlement exhibited by some, not that handicapped people are being given jobs.

Perhaps they ask for references not because they're shady, but they are tired of negative reactions to of people who cannot separate a legitimate business that does not go against any policy from some of the people that hire them and then brag to the Post that they exploited someone.

Is there anything within Disney's policies that prohibits this?

Does Disney have a rule that forbids outside tour guides? Would this fall under that?

If not, isnt this just another example of people doing what Disney allows?

I imagine that people have been paying for years to gain advantages like this and Disney has allowed it to take place.
I think the important thing to remember here is that this is not commonplace. It's not like 50% of the guests walking into the park have hired disabled people or faked a disability to get GAC cards. It's a small small tiny percentage of total WDW guests. And I'm not sure Disney is "allowing" it -- they'd have to know exactly who's doing it and how often in order to "allow" it. And, due to ADA and other laws, they are not allowed to ask people who request a GAC card to "prove" their disability.

I think probably what happens is that the people who do this think they're getting something special, but in reality, they can maybe shave a couple hours off of a multi-day vacation. Once they arrive, they may discover that it's actually not that much different with a GAC card than without one. For a few attractions, sure. But for most of the headliners, they're going to be mainstreamed into the larger line anyway.

I say ... if someone wants to pay a disabled person to get them a "free" GAC card -- let them. It's like the people who want to park at DTD to take a "free" bus into the parks instead of paying the $14 fee. They'll learn soon enough that it's not really that big of a bargain.

And then everyone else can just go about their own vacation and stop worrying about what a minute tiny percentage of the WDW guest base is doing. ;)

As for the mother who was bragging that her child only had to wait one minute for "Small World", while everyone else waited 2 1/2 hours -- first off, I don't believe that Small World EVER hits 2 1/2 hours. It's a fast-loading, high capacity ride. Chances are, she's exaggerating just a bit. :rolleyes1

Second ... all of you with young kids know this ... that mom will be severely bitten in the behind when her little special entitled child grows up into a spoiled demanding entitled teenager. Mama will definitely get what's coming to her. :thumbsup2

:earsboy:

I think the important thing to remember here is that this is not commonplace. It's not like 50% of the guests walking into the park have hired disabled people or faked a disability to get GAC cards. It's a small small tiny percentage of total WDW guests. And I'm not sure Disney is "allowing" it -- they'd have to know exactly who's doing it and how often in order to "allow" it. And, due to ADA and other laws, they are not allowed to ask people who request a GAC card to "prove" their disability.

I think probably what happens is that the people who do this think they're getting something special, but in reality, they can maybe shave a couple hours off of a multi-day vacation. Once they arrive, they may discover that it's actually not that much different with a GAC card than without one. For a few attractions, sure. But for most of the headliners, they're going to be mainstreamed into the larger line anyway.

I say ... if someone wants to pay a disabled person to get them a "free" GAC card -- let them. It's like the people who want to park at DTD to take a "free" bus into the parks instead of paying the $14 fee. They'll learn soon enough that it's not really that big of a bargain.

And then everyone else can just go about their own vacation and stop worrying about what a minute tiny percentage of the WDW guest base is doing. ;)

To me, there is a difference between being dishonest and obtaining a GAC card versus hiring someone who may be disabled to be a tour guide.

I agree, this is not commonplace but my question still remains:

Are there Disney policies in place that prohibit the hiring of external tour guides?

Once you get past the moral outrage people display, is this person doing anything that Disney doesnt allow? Is the tour company doing anything that is against Disney policy?

great... i use GAC im in a chair for about 1/2 year my prosthesis causes me alot of issues.... i already hear abuse about disabled people using GAC... this is not helping the situation.

ive said many times why disney cant ask for a copy of the blue badge when you request one,

and let me just say if i was paying somone 160dollars an hour to sit in a que at kilimunjaro saffaris for 2 hours i would rather use the line, lol, only older rides in disney do you really skip a que, most rides require you to wait a little longer than normal stand by. TSM Kilimunjaro especially. haunted mansion, i have to wait for everyone else to leave the stretching room before the cast member lets us into the que system ... so it dosnt get you very far in the lines at all. epcot for spaceship earth i waited over 50-60mins to ride as you wait at the exit on some seats wait for a cm to come get you.

anyways it seems these peopel doing this in the article are using this to advantage i have no issue disney questioning my disability.

i just dont like when people start seieng the GAC as this amazing que-jumper card... believe me its not!!

anyways rant over lol

I agree that there are soulless people out there but I am not sure I agree with the outrage on this. Surely the woman from the article is someone of high means but low class. She is the type of person that thinks they are owed an entitlement and clearly lacks character.

But as the PP said - look at it from a different light. It doesn't mean the entire practice is bad. A person with a disability is making good use of a challenging situation. They have a competitive advantage and are using it (putting aside the argument on just how much better a GAC is over proper planning and fast passes).

If you hired a tour guide, showed up that day and it was someone in a EVC would you decline their services? If you had an excellent time with them and a great day, would you rehire them next time or would you pass because of the GAC? If you say pass, that's getting into a discrimination grey area.

Someone is offering you a cheaper rate and potentially faster lines,why wouldn't you hire them? Should someone with a disABILITY not be allowed to be a tour guide?

The problem here is that, yes, if it were a legitimate tour guide that happened to be disabled, fine. But, if it was a disabled tour guide who is offering there presence as a way to circumvent lines because of their disabled status, it is JUST PLAIN MORALLY WRONG!

The jerks from the article are not placing an ad on Craigslist looking for a disabled person to exploit. They are hiring a professional that has held themselves out for hire.

I think the real issue here should be the sense of entitlement exhibited by some, not that handicapped people are being given jobs.

Perhaps they ask for references not because they're shady, but they are tired of negative reactions to of people who cannot separate a legitimate business that does not go against any policy from some of the people that hire them and then brag to the Post that they exploited someone.

Just because something does not go "against policy" does not make it ethically okay.

This article is a fabrication in some reporters mind. What do they say about how much to the written newspaper world should be believed? Not much!

We traveled with a family member In a push wheelchair for at least 40 trips to DW. We never got front of line access and never waited a minute or two in Small World. In fact Small World is one of a few non-streamlined attractions in DW. Like the safari in AK you almost always wait longer in the handicapped line.

Most attractions in DW are now streamlined so everyone other than the Fast Pass entrance users, all wait in the same lines. A few attractions pull chair users out at the end of the line and a few like Haunted Mansion have you enter a line at the exit area. There can still be quite a wait to do this.

I see no benefit to using a tour guide like this unless the person is sanctioned by Disney to guide, pays a fee as a company to Disney, and then basically has a auto-fast pass (sanctioned apparently by Disney for a fee) for all fast pass attractions.

There really is no benefit to hiring a guide in a scooter or wheelchair over a non -handicapped guide. Disney knows of the guide companies and appears to allow them. Disney also offers VIP guides that are CM's and can offer some back stage routes to some attractions as well as the automatic fact pass thing.

The only front of line access in Disney World is for Make A Wish children! And they are by far less than this 1 percent quoted in this poor article.

Do these people have special park passes? I was pretty sure the terms and conditions of our annual pass include not using them to "run a business in the parks".

So I wonder - do they buy day passes it have special tour guide passes?

Ali's is this related to the recent posts about personal tour guides who swat up and down they don't use GAC for the shortened waits they promise?

This makes me sick and pissed off at the same time. Do these kind of people really think those of us who actually need a GAC really love needing one? My daughter has a rare lung disease and uses oxygen daily. Trust me we would gladly trade her crappy lungs and have to wait in a hot crowded line. We are at the point in her life now that we celebrate her "beating the odds" as she is now 11 yrs old and doctors told us they had never seen a child with her disease live past 5 yrs old.

A person who is knowledgable about Disney, especially fast passes, with a touring plan, and a GAC probably can move efficiently throughout the parks. Fast enough that a novice thinks they are getting special access.

By making this public, the 1% is screwing themselves. So are the disabled selling their services. All it means is that for all new rides, the regular queue will be accessible. Therefore they either have to get a FP or wait it out. And if FP+ ever launches, it will make it harder for someone to hire a "guide" last minute and still reserve the FP's in advance. They will have to hope walk up FP's are still plentiful.

I find all these inquiries about whether or not it is against Disney policy to do this a bit unsettling. Just because it's not breaking the "rules" doesn't mean it's not morally wrong! :confused:

I'm beginning to think this article is a gross exaggeration if not a downright fabrication based on a conversation a "reporter" with some "entitled mom" who thought she was getting a great deal or using her money to buck the system. 2 1/2 hours for IASW??? Really???

To me, there is a difference between being dishonest and obtaining a GAC card versus hiring someone who may be disabled to be a tour guide.

I agree, this is not commonplace but my question still remains:

Are there Disney policies in place that prohibit the hiring of external tour guides?

Once you get past the moral outrage people display, is this person doing anything that Disney doesnt allow? Is the tour company doing anything that is against Disney policy?
There are policies and guidelines for external tour guides, yes. For example, you could not stand at the front of MK and charge people $100/day to be their tour guide around the park. But if you owned a tour guide business, you could contact Disney about being one of their "partner" companies, like they have partner hotels and partner airlines. And yes ... outside tour companies are allowed in (which is pretty obvious during cheerleader weeks, South American holiday breaks, and Pop Warner time).

The thing is ... there is general language in the info you get from Disney that says that the tour company will operate in a fair and ethical manner (or something to that effect). It's that kind of umbrella clause that allows Disney to say, "I'm sorry, but doing a nudist tour of the Studios is not permitted via your agreement with us" without ever having to state, specifically, in the agreement "All guests must be wearing clothes".

My guess is that, with this article coming out with Mrs. Braggy McEntitledPants talking all about her great trip and how she by-passed all the lines, Disney will take another look at the tour company and have a little discussion with them regarding how they behave while on Disney property. Might not stop them, but they'll know that Disney knows.

So ... while there is no specific policy that says a tour company can't do what they're doing, there is a general code of conduct that all companies are expected to follow.

I believe it is morally wrong for anyone to engage in this type of arrangement.... exploiting a handicapped person for this purpose is inexcusable.

But, then why does no one object to Disney VIP tours, which charge an astronomical amount of money and get front of the line privileges.
Why does a "normal, middle income" family stand on lines, while the rich go to the front of the lines with the VIP tour.

And for those of you who will say they do not go to the front of the lines, I've seen it myself.

A person who is knowledgable about Disney, especially fast passes, with a touring plan, and a GAC probably can move efficiently throughout the parks. Fast enough that a novice thinks they are getting special access.

I completely agree with this, we have travelled during Christmas and Spring break... utilizing the fastpass system, and did very well.

I believe it is morally wrong for anyone to engage in this type of arrangement.... exploiting a handicapped person for this purpose is inexcusable.

But, then why does no one object to Disney VIP tours, which charge an astronomical amount of money and get front of the line privileges.
Why does a "normal, middle income" family stand on lines, while the rich go to the front of the lines with the VIP tour.

And for those of you who will say they do not go to the front of the lines, I've seen it myself.

But it is it really exploiting a handicap person, if that person is advertising and offering that type of tour?

If, and that is a big If with the NY Post, we can take the article at face value, is that handicap person from that company offering and advertising her tour guide services among this group of people?

That is what I wonder.

There are policies and guidelines for external tour guides, yes. For example, you could not stand at the front of MK and charge people $100/day to be their tour guide around the park. But if you owned a tour guide business, you could contact Disney about being one of their "partner" companies, like they have partner hotels and partner airlines. And yes ... outside tour companies are allowed in (which is pretty obvious during cheerleader weeks, South American holiday breaks, and Pop Warner time).

The thing is ... there is general language in the info you get from Disney that says that the tour company will operate in a fair and ethical manner (or something to that effect). It's that kind of umbrella clause that allows Disney to say, "I'm sorry, but doing a nudist tour of the Studios is not permitted via your agreement with us" without ever having to state, specifically, in the agreement "All guests must be wearing clothes".

My guess is that, with this article coming out with Mrs. Braggy McEntitledPants talking all about her great trip and how she by-passed all the lines, Disney will take another look at the tour company and have a little discussion with them regarding how they behave while on Disney property. Might not stop them, but they'll know that Disney knows.

So ... while there is no specific policy that says a tour company can't do what they're doing, there is a general code of conduct that all companies are expected to follow.

Thank you. That does make perfect sense. I wonder if the tour company in the article has that sort of partnership with Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter