Hiring disabled people to get to front of lines? WHAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched Fox 2 this morning but fortunately had to leave before this story came on. I never ceases to amaze me how low people will go just to rise above other people.

It almost makes me more sad than angry.

My 25 year old son is Autistic. I would do ANYTHING if he didn't need the GAC, but without it, Disney, which is his only passion in life, would be unattainable for him. I only pray that those who abuse this blessing don't ever have a real reason to discover what it was originally meant to do. I am truly grateful for the opportunity to share Disney with my son. I'd gladly trade a 3 hour wait in a line for his completeness. Sad commentary on who we as a people have become.

+1000 Nobody who needs a GAC card is happy about it.

This is so unfortunate. People have to live with themselves and the poor choices they make. My conscience would not allow me to do that, but everyone is different. The ironic thing is that we have a family member who is eligible for a GAC card and we choose not to take it. Although it would be nice not to have to wait in a long line, it has not been a hardship for our family. I am not saying every disability should forgo the GAC. It is just our choice and we have been fine with it. Sad that people who don't need it choose to abuse the system.

I watched Fox 2 this morning but fortunately had to leave before this story came on. I never ceases to amaze me how low people will go just to rise above other people.

It almost makes me more sad than angry.

I was watching Fox 2 this morning as well but somehow missed the story. It just sickens me to read this story. We are a family that legitimately needs a GAC but have never abused the accommodations that Disney is able to provide. I am so afraid that people like this will cause Disney to do away with the GAC. :sad2: But I do want to add is that the GAC does not get you front of the line access. In many cases we actually wait longer than the mainstream lines. So some of the information in the article is not factual, at least not based on our experiences.

My only beef with this is that it hurts the other people who REALLY need to use GAC!! It won't hurt seasoned Disney vets like most everyone on the DIS because we know how to tour and have a good (and fast) time at Disney!! And if we are put out by these people...generally those Disney obsessed will find a way to get back! So no harm there!!

But for someone who genuinely has a disability and needs GAC...this one ride could make their day or ruin it if they are put out by someone abusing the system!

I'm not feeding the troll today...learned my lesson on that one!! lol!! :teacher:

Here's a picture of the guide standing: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lines-disabled-woman-poses-family-member.html

The article states that she has an autoimmune disease. The scooter might be being used as a stamina/endurance aid. It's possible that she doesn't have a mobility impairment but has fatigue which can be severe in autoimmune disease.

There are many, MANY reasons why people may genuinely need to use a wheelchair or ECV. Mobility impairment is only one. Lack of stamina is another. And contrary to the misguided beliefs of some people, you can't always tell just by looking at them.

minnie mum said:
Do you really need to be told how incredibly wrong your statement is? In SO many ways. :sad2:

(I was going to use the word 'ignorant', but wasn't sure you would understand the distinction). http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ignorant

What exactly is wrong with it? If you don't think their are many, many people who use scooters out if laziness or to try to work the system i feel sorry for you for being so naive. Do you know the definition of naive?

There are many, MANY reasons why people may genuinely need to use a wheelchair or ECV. Mobility impairment is only one. Lack of stamina is another. And contrary to the misguided beliefs of some people, you can't always tell just by looking at them.

Yup. I have an autoimmune disease (MS) with fatigue as my biggest issue. There were several posts earlier that referred to her as having a mobility impairment. Splitting hairs but it could well be stamina/fatigue issues instead.

I agree with the bolded. If you were truly in the 1%, I have no doubt you could throw enough money at Disney to get VIP services beyond what is publicly advertised.

I agree. Really rich people would just use the VIP Tour Services that Disney offers, which offer a lot more than a GAC anyway. And you have a large enough group (up to ten people), it becomes an even better deal.

I don't know what is worse..the bragging Mom or the company that provides the "handicapped" person. I find it all appalling and an abuse of disney policy that was put in place to help those people that truly need a GAC.Truly sad what has become of American society that this has become a money maker.

With that said....if you are in a wheelchair, you are more comfortable then those of us that have to stand and endure long lines or have to wait until a FP time. Which is probably the niche this company found. Perhaps a change of policy may come of this...hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter