Hiring disabled people to get to front of lines? WHAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow the link in Larryz's post if you haven't. Very interesting to say the least.

Yeah, looked at it after I posted...oops....still about the same, just add in these people REALLY believe they are superior to others.
These are the type who are above all because of their wealth and undoubtedly can and will do anything to feed their superiority complex.
Hopefully, the IRS takes a really hard look at their tax returns.
Disgusting.
What goes around comes around...not soon enough for these types!
Would not want to be them at the pearly gates, for sure!

I just wonder why someone would be proud of this. If they want to stoop to this level they can just get their own GAC as a PP mentioned. If they are really part of "the 1%" they can afford a VIP tour. The quote, "this is how the 1% do Disney," sounds more like a 5%-er trying to pretend to be a 1%-er to me.

I agree with the bolded. If you were truly in the 1%, I have no doubt you could throw enough money at Disney to get VIP services beyond what is publicly advertised. Surely one does not need to be Tom Cruise to get front of the line/back door access to attractions; one just need to have Tom Cruise money.

That woman in the NY post article is scum as far as I'm concerned. :mad:

Her child would have had to wait 2 hours for a ride. Poor thing. Just another entitled individual who doesn't think the rules of basic decency apply to them.

I'm sorry, but I honestly don't believe overall that you save time doing this tactic.

From the article: “My daughter waited one minute to get on ‘It’s a Small World’ — the other kids had to wait 2 1/2 hours,” crowed one mom, who hired a disabled guide through Dream Tours Florida.

If it wasn't a time saver, I don't think they'd keep doing it.

Unbelievable.

Maybe Disney needs to take a closer look at places that do this, like Dream Tours Florida, which was the company listed in the article.

Since Small World was specifically mentioned, there is no 'back' or go directly to the front of Small World.

This picture shows the handicapped line for Small World.
PA130085.JPG

It is required to be used by guests with mobility devices (like wheelchairs) because the regular line is not accessible. It is also used by guests with GACs who need a less crowded place to wait. In our experience, often over 1/2 of the guests/groups using it are using it for that reason - they don't have a mobility device.
This picture shows a time when the wait was similar or possibly slightly shorter than the wait in the 'regular line.' The handicapped boarding area is toward the left side of the picture, down at the bottom of the ramp.The ramp at the top of the picture is part of the regular line - you can see how widely spaced the people are in that part of the line.
The ramp people are coming up on the right of the picture, toward you is the exit.

This picture show Small World at a time when the wait in the handicapped area was longer than the wait in the regular line.
P1030217.JPG

My family was at the bottom of the ramp, waiting to get on. The picture is taken from the opposite direct compared to the first picture, looking toward the entrance and exit.
The ramp on the far left of the picture has the people who will get on the next 2 boats.
The ramp in the middle is the exit ramp. The ramp to the far right of the picture is the handicapped line and it went all the way to the entrance and out the gate at the top.
These are some more pictures of Small World that show a longer wait.
The posted wait time for the regular line was 25 minutes and you can see people, at least in this part of the regular line you can see, are widely spaced.
image31.jpg

This is the handicapped line at the same time. This line was shown in my previous post and is used by all guests with mobility devices plus guests who need a less crowded waiting spot.
image32.jpg

The actual entrance to handicapped line is way up where you can see a man and woman in orange shirts. It extends from the front of this picture all the down the ramp that is shown in the pictures in the previous post. All the people to the right of the photo are also part of the handicapped line.
The regular entrance is where you can see a sign in the background, between the heads of 2 people with orange hats.
In this case, people in the handicapped line will be waiting much longer.

How "cool" can it be when part of your WDW plan involves hush-hush conversations and a coded call to a disposable cell phone. Waiting for Karma.popcorn::

Maybe Disney needs to take a closer look at places that do this, like Dream Tours Florida, which was the company listed in the article.

What could Disney do with them if they found this to be true?

if Dream Tours provides the service as described, is it against any of Disney policy?

Does Disney prohibit outside companies to act as paid tour guides within their parks?

I am just curious on what recourse Disney has with this

Trying to look at it from another light.. It could be the tour guide loves Disney and really wanted to be a Disney tour guide despite their disability. But the fact that they asks who referred you before they even take your call shows the whole thing to be shady. If you're so rich, pay for an an official tour guide. Gees! The NY woman's attitude was despicable!

if Dream Tours provides the service as described, is it against any of Disney policy?

Does Disney prohibit outside companies to act as paid tour guides within their parks?

Actually, Drem Tours Florida looks legitimate - they have a very complete website and their mission statement is to provide services so people with disabilities are ble to go o WDW - looking at their photo album shows some very disabled individuals, who they are helping go on trips.
http://www.dreamtoursflorida.com/photo-gallery/
Anyone without a disability using their services is kind of like people who were buying black market Make a Wish buttons in the past to use for their healthy child.
Its pretty obvious from their mission statement that they are trying to provide experiences or people with disabilities.
http://www.dreamtoursflorida.com/about-us/missions-and-goals/

WHAT IS DREAM TOURS?
Dream Tours is a travel resource whose mission is to extend the unforgettable Dream Tours Vacation experience to as many individuals with disabilities and their families as possible. Dream Tours accomplishes this mission through a program that provides premier disability information for travelers, links to resources, networking opportunities, marketing and public relations on disability related subjects.

OUR GOALS
PROGRAM GOALS  DREAMS
To dramatically enhance the self-esteem of every traveler, inspiring and enabling them to realize their full potential as members of society
To recognize that social interaction is at the heart of the human experience for all people
To emphasize community inclusion for individuals with disabilities, fostering partnerships to provide access to the same social, cultural and recreational facilities and activities enjoyed by all citizens
To provide enriching activities that are meant to challenge everyones own personal physical abilities and at the same time allow them to socialize with their peers in a safe environment
To create a mechanism for sustainability, businesses, partnerships and grants, successfully continuing the program
To provide resources and supports to families vacationing with family members who have a disability.

Is there anything within Disney's policies that prohibits this?

Does Disney have a rule that forbids outside tour guides? Would this fall under that?

If not, isnt this just another example of people doing what Disney allows?

I imagine that people have been paying for years to gain advantages like this and Disney has allowed it to take place.

Sigh.

Yeah. Cuz this is almost the same as using a late FP before 3/8/12.

As disgusting as it is, Disney has no recourse, since they don't ask for proof of disability.

From the article: “My daughter waited one minute to get on ‘It’s a Small World’ — the other kids had to wait 2 1/2 hours,” crowed one mom, who hired a disabled guide through Dream Tours Florida.

If it wasn't a time saver, I don't think they'd keep doing it.

Unbelievable.

She should have asked me.

I would have told her for free that if you're going to Disney when the wait for Small World is 2 1/2 hours, you're going to Disney at the wrong time.

From the article:

"Ryan Clement runs Dream Tours Florida with girlfriend Jacie Christiano, whom the rich Manhattan mom indicated was her family’s guide.

A working phone number for Christiano couldn’t be found, and Clement refused to put The Post through to her. A message left on Facebook was not immediately returned by Christiano.

Clement denied that his gal pal uses her disability to bypass lines. He said she has an auto-immune disorder and acknowledged that she uses a scooter on the job."

So the owner's girlfriend is the disabled person that is being hired??

Sigh.

Yeah. Cuz this is almost the same as using a late FP before 3/8/12.

Who said anything about FPs?

I just am trying to figure out if what that is reported from the NY Post (a sensational "paper" to say the least) is against Disney rules.

Does Disney have any policies in place that would prohibit this and that they could take any action against anyone that did this

From the article:

"Ryan Clement runs Dream Tours Florida with girlfriend Jacie Christiano, whom the rich Manhattan mom indicated was her family’s guide.

A working phone number for Christiano couldn’t be found, and Clement refused to put The Post through to her. A message left on Facebook was not immediately returned by Christiano.

Clement denied that his gal pal uses her disability to bypass lines. He said she has an auto-immune disorder and acknowledged that she uses a scooter on the job."

So the owner's girlfriend is the disabled person that is being hired??
Here is their 'Meet the Team' information from their website:
http://www.dreamtoursflorida.com/about-us/meet-our-team/

And, here's a link to their photo page of customers:
http://www.dreamtoursflorida.com/photo-gallery/
- according to their website, very disabled people are thir target customers, including people in group homes who would not be otherwise able to go.

Who said anything about FPs?

I just am trying to figure out if what that is reported from the NY Post (a sensational "paper" to say the least) is against Disney rules.

Does Disney have any policies in place that would prohibit this and that they could take any action against anyone that did this

My apologies if I read too much into this comment:

If not, isnt this just another example of people doing what Disney allows?

Unfortunately, this does not surprise me one bit.
There are people of the me, me, me mindset who believe their wants and needs come before those of anyone else.
They will say and do anything to appease their need to feel superior and above everyone else.
They are the misfits of society and even worse they raise children who will become the same way.
These are the types of people who raise criminals, in the end.
Similar to welfare fraud, same mindset.
Such a sad state of affairs.
They ruin things for those who honestly need extra help because of their disabilities.

Where is the like button when you need it. It's the same people who's kids do no wrong too. And sadly, these people are multiplying at an alarming rate

Yeah, looked at it after I posted...oops....still about the same, just add in these people REALLY believe they are superior to others.
These are the type who are above all because of their wealth and undoubtedly can and will do anything to feed their superiority complex.
Hopefully, the IRS takes a really hard look at their tax returns.
Disgusting.
What goes around comes around...not soon enough for these types!
Would not want to be them at the pearly gates, for sure!

Don't feel bad. What you posted is still accurate. We are becoming overrun with the people who have a me first mentality.

She should have asked me.

I would have told her for free that if you're going to Disney when the wait for Small World is 2 1/2 hours, you're going to Disney at the wrong time.

Seriously. Our first trip was over Thanksgiving week and our wait wasn't close to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter