High School Class 2013: Picking Colleges..Check in Here!

Not a good weekend for us at all!!! It is 4:30 on Sunday afternoon with ZERO apps done! :headache:

Right now she is (under extreme force) practicing for ACT. I realize that the "theatre" schools don't put a lot of weight on grades and test scores, but seriously, she has to get a higher score than she did the first go round in June. Her attitude SUCKS this weekend. Everything we do is wrong, we are all against her, she hates us, yada, yada......

The idea this weekend was to try to narrow our list, but instead it has grown by one school. I will be so glad when this year is over and she is off somewhere. We have always had a difficult relationship, but this year is going to test us beyond anything we've ever done. :rolleyes1
:faint::faint:
Senior year forums was lots of stress, head butting and just plain not fun. We survived it and now he admits we weren't so wrong after all. :idea:

Wait, your daughter's schools don't use the common app? None of them?

Are they all jury based admissions or something? I know there are a few but I'd check to make sure she's filling out full applications not SUPPLEMENTS from her schools.

Tons of schools have extensive supplements TO the common app, but you still need to complete that.

Not all the schools my DS plied to used the common app. He found the common app to be so very detailed and the other apps a snap.

On the upside, yesterday brought two very positive emails for my daughter from Coastal Carolina and Otterbein! I'm hoping it's what she needed to keep her moving along in this never ending process.

Another weekend, another attempt at college apps! DD is looking to finish two essays, then be done! How about the rest of you? Or is everyone off on vacation this long weekend and I am the only ogre expecting these apps to be finished? :laughing:

Once the apps are done, DD can study for the ACT, in hope of bringing up her grade. She only needs to increase her score by 1 to qualify for basic tuition scholarships at some of the schools she is looking at.

I am looking forward to when the apps and ACT are over with, and we can just flit through the rest of senior year, with no one feeling pressured to do anything. As if that would happen! ;)

We are still doing nothing and just talking. My son is having trouble picking a major and feeling good with it. I just don't know how we will best pursue this. We are only now discussing the Personal Statements. Two of his schools just want the personal statement versus the essay. They want it short, sweet, and creative. My son asked his teacher what to do if you're just a boring person?

My son also told me last night that I didn't love him enough because I wouldn't consider letting him go to Rennesaular (I know I'm spelling that incorrectly) University. I had never heard of it but it is apparently a very well-ranked engineering school. And it's about $59,000 a year total cost. Ah, no way.

No work on apps this weekend but DS is planning to do some practice tests for next weekend's ACT. Right now that's more important. He just needs to bump himself up a little bit, mostly on the science section but his english couldn't be hurt by another point or two either

We are still doing nothing and just talking. My son is having trouble picking a major and feeling good with it. I just don't know how we will best pursue this. We are only now discussing the Personal Statements. Two of his schools just want the personal statement versus the essay. They want it short, sweet, and creative. My son asked his teacher what to do if you're just a boring person?

My son also told me last night that I didn't love him enough because I wouldn't consider letting him go to Rennesaular (I know I'm spelling that incorrectly) University. I had never heard of it but it is apparently a very well-ranked engineering school. And it's about $59,000 a year total cost. Ah, no way.

Rensselear (RPI) is a fantastic school - very highly regarded engineering programmes and an awesome hockey programme, heh. No grants or other help on the cost? Clearly you don't love him. ;)

Rensselear (RPI) is a fantastic school - very highly regarded engineering programmes and an awesome hockey programme, heh. No grants or other help on the cost? Clearly you don't love him. ;)

Yes, I truly don't love him enough....

I read all about the school last night.:)

He might get some merit aid but it wouldn't be enough. Even if they gave him half, it wouldn't be enough. I have one other kid in college!

Yes, I truly don't love him enough....

I read all about the school last night.:)

He might get some merit aid but it wouldn't be enough. Even if they gave him half, it wouldn't be enough. I have one other kid in college!

What kind of engineering is he into? If he can engineer an appropriate snow fort/igloo, he can cut down on winter dorm fees!

What kind of engineering is he into? If he can engineer an appropriate snow fort/igloo, he can cut down on winter dorm fees!

He's leaning toward mechanical.

I had actually NEVER heard of this school. I am so sheltered here in Virginia!

I started get all sorts of e-mails and regular mail from them. They my son got regular mail yesterday asking him to apply and the application fee would be waived. He asked me about it and, because of the HEAVY marketing, I assumed incorrectly that they were some sort of fly-by-night college. Well, I was wrong. They are very well ranked. But I believe that my son can get a good engineering education for about $18,000 per year versus $59,000 (or best case $30,000 with aid).

He's leaning toward mechanical.

I had actually NEVER heard of this school. I am so sheltered here in Virginia!

I started get all sorts of e-mails and regular mail from them. They my son got regular mail yesterday asking him to apply and the application fee would be waived. He asked me about it and, because of the HEAVY marketing, I assumed incorrectly that they were some sort of fly-by-night college. Well, I was wrong. They are very well ranked. But I believe that my son can get a good engineering education for about $18,000 per year versus $59,000 (or best case $30,000 with aid).

If they're soliciting him and waiving his fee, they may be willing to give him awards. Not that lots of places don't do that, they do, but ...

They are a very well-known and highly-ranked and regarded school. I have nothing at all to do with engineering and I know RPI (I am in NY but noplace near them). Thus, they have money.

If it doesn't cost anything to apply, why not? If he was accepted and your contribution still equals out to too much, you can go to them and say you can't afford it and see if they find more money. They give grants, scholarships, etc., because they have a kitty because see above. What's the harm? If he knows upfront that he can't go unless they give substantial grants... :confused3 I mean he's old enough to grasp how much you don't love him and all so...

I dunno...I personally regard RPI very highly (as an engineer), but then today, DD17 received stuff from them. She wants to be a teacher and didn't do spectacular on her math SAT :confused3. She's about as far from a potential engineering student as you can get. We both cracked up when we saw the letter. So, maybe RPI is just doing heavy recruiting for whatever reason.

Meanwhile, DD has been doing parts of the common app on-loine, and probably doing some other stuff, too. I really don't bug her about it. First off, it only irritates her. Also, she's finishing up her summer work (school starts 9/4 here) and has cross country practice, so there's a lot on her plate right now. And the early action deadline isn't until 11/1, so I don't feel like pushing her would gain anything. She did sign up to take the SAT's again in November--if she can go up by 20 points, it'll open a lot of merit aid doors for her.

The admissions officer at one school specifically said 1300 combined on verbal and math. None of the schools currently use the essay portion. We're hoping they change that--if you extrapolate, the number would be 1950 for all three, and DD is above that. She just scores much better on the verbal and essay portions.

Also, all three schools we've visited to date said that 1300 (same criteria) would qualify her for the honors dorms/honors programs. I don't know if she wants to go that route, but it would be nice to have the option open to her.

I don't know about SAT scores for scholarships, for here in the Midwest, ACT seems to be the big test. That said, and I assume this holds true for schools everywhere, some of the more accepting state schools may have lower requirements for Merit Scholarships than the more competitive schools, but if the admission fee is waived, and the child is willing to fill out the app, go for it, what have you got to lose? :)

Regarding Merit Scholarships, DD #1 had a 32 on her ACT. She qualified for one of the merit scholarships at Purdue with that (which is a 32). DD#2 received a 27 (my bad test taker:worried:). She needs a 28 to qualify at two of the state schools with lower admission standards, and she will hopefully up her grade by one when she retakes. Her GPA will qualify, but not her ACT, for the two schools.

The two other schools DD is applying to, she needs that 32. I do not believe this will happen. She is applying anyway, just to see what happens, since one of the schools is Purdue, and if her sister goes for graduate work there, little sister wants to be there, too (what can I say, they really like each other).

At this point, I am not so sure I want my younger one at a school with admission requirements that are so high. I do not worry that she will be unable to do the work, but I do worry that she will be so lost amongst all the high-achieving students, that she will feel unintelligent and then just give up. This is how she is.

I believe DD will have better success at a school where she will be at the higher end of the admission requirements, and thus have more confidence in her ablity to do well, if that makes any sense? After all, I saw her struggle with self-doubt regarding her intellectual ability in her AP courses, where she was surrounded by her peers that are running for top graduating positions, and many a time she just didn't want to try to succeed. She just didn't feel she would ever measure up to her peers (and her best friends are #1 and #4 in the class, so she is surrounded by very motivated peers!).

This Senior year, DD is taking dual credit courses instead of the AP's with her friends (and at least we know she gets credit for these classes, instead of just hoping she does well on the AP test!). She has the highest grade in these classes, though it is only week 3, so this may change! Yet, she feels so very confident and willing to go above and beyond on her homework, really taking the time to make sure it is all done correctly, because she feels she has a chance to excel in these classes. That's why I am just not so sure that she should go to a school where she is at the low end of the capability ladder! But how do you tell this to your child, without them twisting it in their mind to "mom thinks I am stupid"? Because I know that is what would happen, I would have done the same thing!

Can we please go back to Kindergarten? :p

There is no across-the-board magic SAT number (or GPA for that matter) for merit scholarships. At some schools, a 1300 is great and gets a student money, and at others it is barely enough for your application to be considered. Most selective schools look at the student as a whole and test scores are only part of that.

For the record, my son who is a freshman, scored higher than the figure y'all are tossing around and he did not get any merit scholarships.

There have been some developments in the last few days. While viewing the CMU site, I found that they offer Early Decision for Tech majors. Additionally, the site says that CMU guarantees to meet "demonstrated need" for its Early Decision acceptees. This brings the dilemma of whether to apply ED or regular. :confused3

Since I have been doing FAFSA for a couple of years with my older daughter, I know my approximate EFC. I also know "demonstrated need" can be up to the college to decide. Early Decision is binding, though, we could potentially decline based on the aid given. I am very torn as to what to do!

I am thrilled to report thatt DS finished one app today and wrote his personal statement!! He has it saved until we figure out the process for sending transcripts. His hiigh school is having a college info night for seniors on Wednesday night so we will find that info out then.

This is a big deal for us...getting him to this pooint has been like pulling teeth!

I am thrilled to report thatt DS finished one app today and wrote his personal statement!! He has it saved until we figure out the process for sending transcripts. His hiigh school is having a college info night for seniors on Wednesday night so we will find that info out then.

This is a big deal for us...getting him to this pooint has been like pulling teeth!

:cool1: Congrats! Getting that first app done is a huge step.

Our weekend has not been what I had planned. Yesterday our three year old beagle broke her ankle in two places! Five hours at the emergency vet and $400 later, we were home with a flowery purple splint and instructions for a new one in two days. :scared1: Needless to say, the apps were put on hold. Thankfully, today is a holiday, so we can get back to it in between caring for the patient.

I'm starting to wonder how my poor kid is going to get his apps done.

Between cross country and his part-time job, he hasn't had many free moments. He works at a dog "resort" and they have him doing an 8 hour shift each day this holiday weekend because they are so busy. The only free weekends he has coming up are in October and we've "booked" those with the ACT and SAT. I hate feeling pressured!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter