High School Class 2013: Picking Colleges..Check in Here!

We always have stressed a good education to DS, it seems as far back as kindergarten :faint: DS was always a good student, not GAP in younger years but a solid A/B student. He took some honors classes in HS, no AP classes. In his younger years he did a lot of community service but it dropped off as he got older. He did work throughout HS. That is a bit of background. However, what I would do different is take a step back and listen to his wants. It is ok to encourage and suggest ideas but remember that this is their journey. DH and I got so hung up on what others were doing and what THEY thought we (and DS) should do. I feel that we were pushing him too hard to do what we thought...more so our dream and not his.

DS always said he wanted a D3 school for sports as he didn't play baseball for the HS as he didn't like how it ran. He wanted to be a walk on player. DH and I were on him so much as if he was trying for ivy league. Nearly badgering to do community service or take AP classes. Our HS is highly ranked and he had 450 graduates...he was ranked in the top 20% In the end he was accepted at 6 of the 7 schools he applied to. He did what he needed to do for him but we went nuts and should have listened more to what he wanted. For the schools he wanted he had the SAT scores well above where he needed to be first shot out yet I had him taking them 4 times and the ACTs 3 times. This sort of thing. It all created more stress than needed to be.

Talking to my neighbor who has a high school senior this year she and DH offered to by their DS a car if he went to community college. Basically to save money. A no go. But she said the same thing it is their journey. We are there to guide them but it's time for them to start being more responsible.

We know people that have made their boys become eagle scouts, dragging them through as it was the parents dream. Point being, sometimes it's hard to let them start living their life

Now that I've rambled on, hope that makes sense and helps

Thank you for your candor. This is a good reminder and I hope I can keep this in mind throughout the process.

I thought when you took the ACT you selected what universities to send the results directly to.

Most people don't take advantage of the free results sent because they want to see their scores before sending their best ones to the college of their choice. I know my son & daughter have both done that. It costs $10 per school to send later -- well worth it for many students.

My DS has been accepted to 1 rolling admissions school already (sister goes there so its a bit lower on his list), one rolling we are waiting for the school to send transcripts (don't start til Monday) and 3 schools that all accept the common app. He hasn't even started the essays yet and 2 of those are his top schools. Yikes! Between soccer everyday but Sunday & school starting, I hope he makes the time this weekend as promised.

How are those applications coming? Everyone surviving the process?

One application done here, many more to go! Two angry outbursts, one tearful moment, and yet DD survived the one application. Well, I assume she survived, she grabbed her cat and is cuddling in her room with it, possible still crying.

Poor kid, I know she is nervous about all the changes, but she is making herself a mess with her sudden indecision! She was back and forth on her choice of major on the application, because she suddenly doesn't know if she wants to study Elementary Education or Psychology! I thought she figured this out this summer, but now she is second guessing herself.

She is worried about her grades, wishing she had gone in for more help in Honors Chemistry sophomore year, because that "D" is not looking so good!

And on it goes, so much pressure.

Elder DD's college application process was traumatic because she was just such a terrible procrastinator, and put off getting everything done until the weekend before it was due! And she only applied to one school, but luckily got in!

Younger DD is not the procrastinator, but she instead puts so much pressure on herself to do everything "perfectly", that she just falls apart worrying about the decisions she makes. These next couple of weekends of college applications are not going to be fun, because she has 5 schools she is applying to, and fears not getting into any of them!

I am staying out of this as much as possible, because I know she isn't mad at me, just mad at the fear of the future, but nothing I say will help at this time, so I am going to go and bake some cookies for when she calms back down.

Some days, I am glad I only had two children! :laughing:

One application done here, many more to go! Two angry outbursts, one tearful moment, and yet DD survived the one application. Well, I assume she survived, she grabbed her cat and is cuddling in her room with it, possible still crying.

Poor kid, I know she is nervous about all the changes, but she is making herself a mess with her sudden indecision! She was back and forth on her choice of major on the application, because she suddenly doesn't know if she wants to study Elementary Education or Psychology! I thought she figured this out this summer, but now she is second guessing herself.

She is worried about her grades, wishing she had gone in for more help in Honors Chemistry sophomore year, because that "D" is not looking so good!

And on it goes, so much pressure.

Elder DD's college application process was traumatic because she was just such a terrible procrastinator, and put off getting everything done until the weekend before it was due! And she only applied to one school, but luckily got in!

Younger DD is not the procrastinator, but she instead puts so much pressure on herself to do everything "perfectly", that she just falls apart worrying about the decisions she makes. These next couple of weekends of college applications are not going to be fun, because she has 5 schools she is applying to, and fears not getting into any of them!

I am staying out of this as much as possible, because I know she isn't mad at me, just mad at the fear of the future, but nothing I say will help at this time, so I am going to go and bake some cookies for when she calms back down.

Some days, I am glad I only had two children! :laughing:

Oh goodness, can we relate to this here! I want to offer up my thoughts on El Ed vs. psychology. My DS17 is interested in psychology with a counseling concentration, but he knows he wants to go to seminary after to be a youth pastor. Everyone we have talked to who is in the field has said you really can't do too much with a bachelors in psych. In order to find a decent job, you have to go on for your masters. Some have even gone as far as to say that a bachelors in psych is useless. Just something to keep in mind as she decides.

El Ed was my major- but I graduated at a time when jobs for teachers were scarce. It is looking like we are back in those kind of times again- but she might be OK if she is willing to teach in an inner city environment.

My DS has two apps started and saved- but it's the essays that he is dragging his feet on. He is a big time procrastinator. We have also had the tears, the angry outbursts and the "just let me do it my way" conversations. I know he is afraid and this is how it is coming out. In fact, I know he is terrified. He approaches every new situation with trepidation, so of course, this is a HUGE new situation. I just keep telling him we are here to back him up, etc. etc.

Best of luck to your DD throughout the process!!

Not a good weekend for us at all!!! It is 4:30 on Sunday afternoon with ZERO apps done! :headache:

Right now she is (under extreme force) practicing for ACT. I realize that the "theatre" schools don't put a lot of weight on grades and test scores, but seriously, she has to get a higher score than she did the first go round in June. Her attitude SUCKS this weekend. Everything we do is wrong, we are all against her, she hates us, yada, yada......

The idea this weekend was to try to narrow our list, but instead it has grown by one school. I will be so glad when this year is over and she is off somewhere. We have always had a difficult relationship, but this year is going to test us beyond anything we've ever done. :rolleyes1

We have talked about apps. That's about as close as I think we'll get until DS takes the ACT & SAT again. He did tell me today that he will work on common app essays so he'll have something started once his scores come in. I am content with little bits at a time. I know he's stressing over it all so I'm trying to feed him info and extract info from him selectively and in very small pieces... patience :-)

We finally got two more apps submitted last night. That brings our total to four, thus far. Of course, that's really just the apps and transcripts. They all have other materials that need to be sent in, too. I'm hoping this holiday weekend we can knock out some more in between rehearsals.

I guess it's different here. DD doesn't do well with parental pressure, so I've been leaving her alone. School starts 9/4, so she's been finishing her AP class work as well as doing the common app, some of the supplementals, and working on an essay or two. I don't know what more she has to do at this point, although I'm expecting to produce plastic to pay for SATs and applications. So, I have no clue what's due, when for her. OTOH, she's beign really pleasant about the whole thing, so on balance, I can't complain.

Hearing you all talk about "common apps" I had to look it up, since I have never heard about this. What a great idea! And why on earth don't any of the schools DD is applying to take advantage of this!:headache: So much time would be saved, not to mention tears!

Ugadog, I feel for you, having a DD that you clash with at times. That was me and my eldest. The two of us are so similar in many things, and she hated that I could guess what she was thinking or how she was feeling. I can tell from the look on her face if she was telling the truth back when she was just a toddler! Emotionally, we two are very closely tied, and I think this is what causes so much angst between us, even to this day. And the procrastination - gosh, I really dislike that part about her! Makes me worry about how life will be if I die tomorrow, you know? Younger DD, she will take care of everything, older DD, she will be a mess. Oh well, just have to keep living, avoiding airplanes and submarines, so that I can occasionally remind her to pay her bills and decide if she is going to graduate school! Sorry Ugadog, it never ends! :)

DD did finish two applications yesterday, and two more just need the essays. She plans on taking care of that over the long weekend.

And now we begin the second full week of Senior year at High School. DD is already complaining she has no clothes to wear. Closet full of clothing, nothing to wear. Just wait until my little clothes horse gets to college, and has a tiny closet and has to wear the same clothes more than once every two weeks! :rotfl2:

Hearing you all talk about "common apps" I had to look it up, since I have never heard about this. What a great idea! And why on earth don't any of the schools DD is applying to take advantage of this!:headache: So much time would be saved, not to mention tears!

Ugadog, I feel for you, having a DD that you clash with at times. That was me and my eldest. The two of us are so similar in many things, and she hated that I could guess what she was thinking or how she was feeling. I can tell from the look on her face if she was telling the truth back when she was just a toddler! Emotionally, we two are very closely tied, and I think this is what causes so much angst between us, even to this day. And the procrastination - gosh, I really dislike that part about her! Makes me worry about how life will be if I die tomorrow, you know? Younger DD, she will take care of everything, older DD, she will be a mess. Oh well, just have to keep living, avoiding airplanes and submarines, so that I can occasionally remind her to pay her bills and decide if she is going to graduate school! Sorry Ugadog, it never ends! :)

DD did finish two applications yesterday, and two more just need the essays. She plans on taking care of that over the long weekend.

And now we begin the second full week of Senior year at High School. DD is already complaining she has no clothes to wear. Closet full of clothing, nothing to wear. Just wait until my little clothes horse gets to college, and has a tiny closet and has to wear the same clothes more than once every two weeks! :rotfl2:

Wait, your daughter's schools don't use the common app? None of them?

Are they all jury based admissions or something? I know there are a few but I'd check to make sure she's filling out full applications not SUPPLEMENTS from her schools.

Tons of schools have extensive supplements TO the common app, but you still need to complete that.

Are they all jury based admissions or something? I know there are a few but I'd check to make sure she's filling out full applications not SUPPLEMENTS from her schools.

Tons of schools have extensive supplements TO the common app, but you still need to complete that.

My son hasn't seen the common app yet either. But, so far, he's only started the application for one school and briefly looked at one other school's process. He went on their site and hit the "Apply Now" button and it did not take him to a common app. I'll be interested to see if he runs into it.

Went to the Common App website. So far, none of the Virginia schools my son is applying to use it. Guess it's not that common.;)

Went to the Common App website. So far, none of the Virginia schools my son is applying to use it. Guess it's not that common.;)

Heh, like I said there are some... I know there's a big Indiana school that doesn't too. Just struck me as strange that ALL the schools her daughter is applying to wouldn't. Anything's possible, just saying to be sure!

Heh, like I said there are some... I know there's a big Indiana school that doesn't too. Just struck me as strange that ALL the schools her daughter is applying to wouldn't. Anything's possible, just saying to be sure!

Two very popular, elite Virginia public universities were on the Virginia list. The other three "popular" ones in the state were not. The rest that were on there were sort of the lower tier schools. I wonder what makes a school decide to use or not use the common app?

I just checked out the common app website too, because I honestly had never heard of it before! None of the schools that my DS is applying to are on the list (three private Christian schools, and two state universities).

Cornflake, just checked, and nope, not a one of the schools DD is applying to use this Common App. I do appreciate you bringing up checking to make sure she wasn't just doing the supplements, so at least I know!:thumbsup2

Sadly, even the schools she thought of applying to aren't included in the Common App. We are looking at Illinois and Indiana schools, so maybe these states are just a bit behind. If I had a third child, maybe they would be onboard by then.

Hopefully others are helped, though. If I hadn't of read this here, I would not have even known it be available. I will definitely let my friends with upcoming college students know about the Common App. It is a great idea!

Never heard of a common app until I read this thread a few minutes ago. DD applied to one school last night and after Googling, I see it was a college listed on the common app site. Oops! There is only one other college on there that she will be applying to. Is it worth it now to use the common app?

Virtually NONE of our schools use the Common App. In fact, Carnegie Mellon may be the only one. All the rest are submitted directly through the school's website. It's a major pain!

Never heard of a common app until I read this thread a few minutes ago. DD applied to one school last night and after Googling, I see it was a college listed on the common app site. Oops! There is only one other college on there that she will be applying to. Is it worth it now to use the common app?

You may have to.

As I said, many, many schools that use it have supplements to it - students are generally required to fill out both. The supplements can be so extensive they look like applications themselves. There can be supplements asking for like, two long essays, short ones, expanded info on extracurriculars, volunteering, etc., etc.,

So I'd make sure she filled out a full app - and that the other school allows you to apply just through them without using the common app.

The common app. has an essay, all the general info, it was meant to incorporate the standard stuff from most applications. When it originally came into use, years ago, it was in place of apps.

Some schools still accept just it alone, some don't use it, and many, many, many have instituted supplemental apps that are basically their apps over again, to go along with.

Some supplementals are small and just ask like 'why do you want to attend' type essay or for some extra info. Some are like 6 pages of essays, short answers, extra info, etc.

Virtually NONE of our schools use the Common App. In fact, Carnegie Mellon may be the only one. All the rest are submitted directly through the school's website. It's a major pain!

That's why I thought that poster's may be juried apps - aside from the occasional state school type deal, the only ones I knew of that didn't use it were that type of program, like what your daughter is interested in, tech, fine art, dance, etc.

I'm surprised to hear so many others not using it, like the Va. schools and such.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter