High School Class 2013: Picking Colleges..Check in Here!

Thought I would give this thread a bump. DD leaves one month from today.

Is anyone else going through a whole slew of different emotions? I am so happy for her and can't wait to have her start on this new part of her life. On the other hand, I am so sad and I feel like a part of my life is coming to an end. That sounds so dramatic! I promise that on the surface I appear fine, but this is going to be very hard for me. I hope she absolutely loves this new journey, but I am nervous, anxious, and worried at the same time. A big part of me wishes I could have just left her at orientation last week so I can just get this process started. Instead, it is just looming over me. I know I will be fine once she is settled, but since I know it is inevitable, I almost want it to get here sooner rather than later. So am I the only one in some weird emotional vortex at the moment?

Thank you for describing my feeling perfectly. DS has not been an easy kid
to have around much of the time, more so than your average teen. OTOH, he ended
up receiving a complete full ride to the University he is going to, including
room, board, and books- so we are incredibly proud of him for that accomplishment.

I can tell he is busting at the seams to be on his own. I know it will be such a growing time for him.

Yes, emotions are all over the place with this one. One minute I'm wishing he was gone already, the next I'm wishing for another year. This next month is going to be soooo long. He's only going 20 minutes away so I really have no
reason to be boo hooing.

Best of luck to everyone trying to get through this next month!

I bought bed risers on someone's recommendation--they add 7" under a bed. (I think $10 or so from BB&B) We bought the skinny storage containers, so DD can stack them if she likes. She's already organizing her stuff into them. She's naturally messy, though, so I suspect her grand organization scheme will be out the window by wek 3. Not my problem, though.

I bought bed risers on someone's recommendation--they add 7" under a bed. (I think $10 or so from BB&B) We bought the skinny storage containers, so DD can stack them if she likes. She's already organizing her stuff into them. She's naturally messy, though, so I suspect her grand organization scheme will be out the window by wek 3. Not my problem, though.

I hadn't thought of bed risers. Might just need to buy some. We can always return them.

I think DS just needs a cardboard box to dump everything in :lmao: He is a "pile it up" kinda guy. Claims he likes to be able to see his stuff!
Maybe clear bins would work... hmmmm.....

I tried to get DS to just use his cc and buy stuff but he apparently wants mommy to help. And out of the other side of his mouth is asking if we're leaving quickly after drop off on move-in day. I guess it's not just us parents who are conflicted ;)

I think DS just needs a cardboard box to dump everything in :lmao: He is a "pile it up" kinda guy. Claims he likes to be able to see his stuff!
Maybe clear bins would work... hmmmm.....

This thread is really helping.

I have found my people. :rotfl:

My DD got clear bins with different colored lids. Target had a number of sizes, and some are on sale this week.

And it's so funny, how they bounce back and forth between, "Dig me, I'm an adult!", and "Mommy, come help me!" Just in the past week, I made DD call to get her new passport (our post office requires making an appointment), call about her missing transcripts (3 short calls, they were found at her university, problem solved), and took her to the bank to get a checking/debit account and joint credit card. She hates phone calls "talking to adults", but her transcripts and passport are no longer my problem. And in the bank, she was totally freaking out at all the banking jargon and having to handle her money herself. Of course, I found out later that she was dancing around at her dance studio, waving, "Debbi the Debit Card" to all her friends. Go figure.

P.S. You guys know I would have picked up her transcripts and driven them to Boston if necessary, right? I wouldn't really leave her hanging in a pinch, I just wanted her to make the first effort to resolve the problem.

Check out the college website and make sure bed risers are allowed. I know it says they are not allowed at DD's college. The beds there are already adjustable.

For those who are trying to figure out what to buy, I was at Bed, Bath, and Beyond this past weekend and they were able to print out a list specific to my DD's college. We still avoided things like containers for under the bed or anything that will take a lot of space until we see what we are working with but we got desk organizers, a shower caddy, hair care items, a trash bin, etc. We already ordered pillows, blankets, sheets, and towels on-line, as well as a lamp and a fan. I also figure on picking up laundry soap, bleach, and dryer sheets when I go shopping again. I am not worried about decorations for now. Those don't have to be setup the first day and she still doesn't know which dorm or who her roommate will be. I figure some things she may want to coordinate on.

I am in the same place as all of you with the emotions. I am happy and excited and nervous and sad. I am just all over the place! I dread not having her here. She is good company. Thank goodness for Skype and Facetime. At least we can stay in touch and catch up with one another here and there!

P.S. You guys know I would have picked up her transcripts and driven them to Boston if necessary, right? I wouldn't really leave her hanging in a pinch, I just wanted her to make the first effort to resolve the problem.

LOL! I'm the same way. Ready to do whatever I can, but letting him attempt to do it all himself first. So far, I haven't really needed to do much. Though he is still dragging his feet about calling his advisor to change his schedule to drop a class that he placed out of due to AP score (maybe he's still shocked he placed out - it was his hardest (and worst) class of HS and we nearly fell over when that was his best AP score!)

My DD just came and kissed me goodnight. She said, "I've kissed you goodnight almost every single day of my life for 18 years. I'm going to miss that the most." REALLY????? Are you trying to kill me here? I don't think I will stop crying the rest of the tonight. I've told her I want her to be a snot-nosed teenager from this point forward so I will be happy when she leaves!

I really wish our first to go was a girl. I'm lost on what to suggest to my son for his room. Anything I ask him about needing, he says no. Do you want some sort of mirror for your desk for putting in contacts (bathrooms are likely down the hall)? Nah. Do you want a rug in case your room isn't carpted? Nah. Do you want a fan in case the A/C isn't good enough? Nah. Do you want anything to hang on the wall? Nah. I'm really at a loss here. It took me a month just to get him to commit on new sneakers. So I think I just need to get some things and stop asking. But I just don't know what is typical for boys.

Anybody out there with boys previously away at school have suggestions?

This made me laugh. Sounds like my DS! He has been away all summer working at an overnight camp, so we have seen very little of him. When he is home on weekends, he is at grad parties and his girlfriend's house. Not much time with mom and dad :*( I happened to be in Target the other day, and noticed a small section of Twin XL stuff- comforters, sheets, blankets- that kind of stuff. I went ahead and bought him a comforter, a set of sheets and a blanket. When he got home Friday night, I showed it to him, thinking if he hated it, I would just bring it back. He was like "That's great. Thanks!". :rotfl2: We still need to go out and get a mattress pad, maybe another set of sheets (I am thinking he will wash these and put them right back on the bed, only needing one set. That is what he does at home?!) and some towels. He wants a bedrest, and a new desk lamp (the kind that is natural light). He has his roommate assignment and they have been facebooking- the roommate is bringing the TV, my DS is getting an area rug, and they are sharing the expense to rent a microfridge. The only way they can have a microwave is by renting this unit, so they are going to do it.

Other than that, no more thought has been put into what he needs. He gets home from camp for good on August 10, so we will have 2 weeks or so to get stuff together before we move him into his dorm on August 24.

Camp has been good preparation for me I think. I am getting used to him not being around. I miss him- but I know he will be fine.

Question about TV in the dorm room. Do most kids have a TV in their room? Do dorms tend to provide cable?

I remember half the fun of being in the dorm was hanging out in the common lounge watching Luke and Laura on general hospital and watching MTV videos together "We are the world..."
Can you tell I went I college in the 80's?

Tinijocaro said:
Question about TV in the dorm room. Do most kids have a TV in their room? Do dorms tend to provide cable?

I remember half the fun of being in the dorm was hanging out in the common lounge watching Luke and Laura on general hospital and watching MTV videos together "We are the world..."

Yes to both tv questions. Wi-Fi is pretty standard too. Ds's roommate brought a tv and video game system, though I don't believe they had much time for either.

We visited a really small school last year (500 students) and they said they purposely didn't provide cable in the dorms so the kids would hang out in the lounge and watch TV together. They had huge crowds for the popular shows and for big finales or special events (the conventions) the school would serve popcorn and soda and they would pack the place in. DD isn't going to that school and every single school we visited (including the one she is going to) provides free cable in all the dorm rooms. Ugh! I liked it the way it was "back in our day" much better.

I went to college at the same time as you, and I totally sat in the lounge at 3 pm to watch GH!

My DS's school provides cable hook up and Internet. His roommate is bringing the TV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter