High School Class 2013: Picking Colleges..Check in Here!

Thought I'd bump us back up with some good news: my DD finally has her first artistic acceptance! We visited Coastal Carolina this weekend where she did her interview/portfolio review. On Monday she received word of her acceptance. She is beyond thrilled! She really, really loves CCU. It is a truly up and coming theatre program with great talent and a terrific faculty. I'm trying to keep her grounded, though, because she has many more auditions and visits to do. Plus, no decisions can be made until all financial packages are in. I will say, though, that I would be very happy if she ends up a Chanticleer. :thumbsup2

Congratulations! What a wonderful opportunity! :cheer2: (and not a bad place to have go visit;)).

Our son got accepted into the one and only school he applied to, Wake Forest. He was very much like his older sister (she graduates from Cornell this spring): both had their hearts set on one school and one school only. Of course now that he is going off to school his sister is coming home for graduate school (and to work and pay off some student loans!)

Lovethatmouse: Congratulations! Isn't it wonderful you are not in a holding period any longer. My dd is in Walz and that is the "best" freshmen dorm, according to my dd. It is also air conditioned and I can tell you VERY, VERY, VERY clean, any time I have been there, and that is what my dd and her friends say too. The dorm selection goes by first come first serve and the ED kids are mostly all in Walz since they get first preference. We made sure we sent in deposits right away when dorm selection was concerned (your dd doesn't need to choose a roommate at that time).

My dd made very close friends and my dd enjoys being around fun but smart students. The friends I have met (one from DC stayed over during the break and I have met others Family Weekend and breaks) are all very, very nice.
My dd was on a FB page last year that was made for all the 'Berg kids that were accepted/deposited and they met in the city a couple of times before they started school so they "knew" each other before the first day.

Congratulations and PM me with any questions since this is the first I've been on this thread since I posted in November.

Thanks! We are very excited. I think Walz will win out over Brown, but we are going there in a few weeks to check them both out. Unfortunately we had prior plans that cannot be changed so we can't go to Accepted Students Day. I called them and they said no problem, just let them know when we will be in town and they will show her around. She did join a FB page for class of 2017 and hopefully will get to know some kids before school starts. I'm going to PM you with some questions - it's so much to take in!

Congrats to those whose kids have been accepted so far. It must be a great feeling.

We have two acceptances but not exactly where DS wants to go so we are still waiting on a few more. I'm guessing it will all be happening within the next month or so.

My daughter got the smallest meal plan with the most flex bucks. I think for someone in a dorm where you need a meal plan but trying to eat healthy that is a good way to go. If she winds up in Traditions or Ragans she won't get a meal plan. She lost weight the summer before college and has lost another 15 pounds since shes been there. She did have weight to lose and she looks amazing. She is eating well but making healthy choices and being diligent about portion control. I think all the walking they do really helps too.

My daughter got the smallest meal plan with the most flex bucks. I think for someone in a dorm where you need a meal plan but trying to eat healthy that is a good way to go. If she winds up in Traditions or Ragans she won't get a meal plan. She lost weight the summer before college and has lost another 15 pounds since shes been there. She did have weight to lose and she looks amazing. She is eating well but making healthy choices and being diligent about portion control. I think all the walking they do really helps too.

DD will need a meal plan, she wants Broward or Reynolds and should end up in one due to her low priority number (under 190). I think we are going with the smallest meal plan, higher flex! They will surely change it before we get to sign up though! She has Preview in a few weeks!:) Her AP classes are killing her with work now, I told her to hang in there! Thanks for the response.

Reading about all these acceptances reminds me of when I was going through this process. It seems just like yesterday but really it was almost 6 years ago. Good luck to all of the graduates on making such an important decision. The best piece of advice I got from my mom when making this decision was to follow your heart because this is the next 4 years and you don't want to be unhappy and regret your decision. I saw this over and over in college the ones who didn't follow there heart and mainly came for money or other reasons didn't last long.

I realized I didn't give my thoughts about Coastal Carolina. We love, love, love the school!! The faculty seem so genuine and truly concerned about their students. There was a terrific sense of community among the current students and faculty. I got the sense that is a very nurturing environment. The campus is lovely, and Myrtle Beach is just 15 minutes down the road. The area seems very safe, and there is plenty to do outside of school. If we knew we could get the kind of financial aid we need, our search would be over. The theatre department is one of those up and coming schools that won't remain a secret very long!

Just came acroos this...

two graduating from our household in May.

DfosterS19 is deciding between Univ of Colorado and Univ of Kentucky. He's making his UC visit this week and then we will know which one to send the deposits to.

DS18 has made the decision and will attend St. Gregory's University. If we send in the deposit by the end of the month, we receive $800 off the annual housing. :banana:

Subscribing now and will go back to read the threads.

Good News for DS. He received word today that he got a presidential Scholarship from U of Buffalo (SUNY). Tuition, room, board, and even books. What a huge weight off of all our shoulders.

He was also accepted into the honors program at U of Michigan.

Good News for DS. He received word today that he got a presidential Scholarship from U of Buffalo (SUNY). Tuition, room, board, and even books. What a huge weight off of all our shoulders.

He was also accepted into the honors program at U of Michigan.

Congratulations!!!!

Tinijocaro--What great news! That must be such a relief for you. It's always nice to know someone wants your kid, badly enough to give him all that money.

Speaking of which, my DD got a Presidential Scholarship from Loyola ($17k/year). That's a big deal, since it's one of her top two schools, and I wasn't expecting her to get anything from them, based on merit. Shows what I know. She and I are heading down to Baltimore next weekend for one last visit before she has to decide--it's the furthest school, and we've only seen it for a generic tour last summer. This time, she and I are flying down for the weekend, and she'll have a scholarship breakfast, then they have an open house. I want her on that campus every second possible so she can really see if it's a good fit for her. She also decided to apply for their Honors program--she was iffy on this, thought it might be too hard for her, but then she really pulled up her verbal SAT score, and now getting this big scholarship, maybe she's feeling more confident. Either way, she's a kid who's going to really embrace the college experience, so I'm letting her handle things in her own way.

Tinijocaro--What great news! That must be such a relief for you. It's always nice to know someone wants your kid, badly enough to give him all that money.

Speaking of which, my DD got a Presidential Scholarship from Loyola ($17k/year). That's a big deal, since it's one of her top two schools, and I wasn't expecting her to get anything from them, based on merit. Shows what I know. She and I are heading down to Baltimore next weekend for one last visit before she has to decide--it's the furthest school, and we've only seen it for a generic tour last summer. This time, she and I are flying down for the weekend, and she'll have a scholarship breakfast, then they have an open house. I want her on that campus every second possible so she can really see if it's a good fit for her. She also decided to apply for their Honors program--she was iffy on this, thought it might be too hard for her, but then she really pulled up her verbal SAT score, and now getting this big scholarship, maybe she's feeling more confident. Either way, she's a kid who's going to really embrace the college experience, so I'm letting her handle things in her own way.

That is great news!!

Does this cover most of the costs? My son seemed to be cotacted heavily by Loyola but, to be honest, I assumed it was pricey. Maybe I was wrong...

No, it doesn't even come close to covering the costs! But, we also got word this week that her grandmother put a huge chunk of $$ in a 529 for her (better late than never, don't get me started). She also has a couple of trusts that she can tap. So, the scholarship puts Loyola more in line with the other colleges she's been accepted to.

I must say, I'm a little concerned that Loyola is a pricey finishing school for rich kids. It kind of gave off that vibe when we last visited. They put a lot of emphasis on educating the whole student, and on service--those are things that appeal to my DD. But I want to make sure she's getting what she needs to be employed when she leaves, so that will be my focus while we visit next weekend. I privately refer to it as "Stepford College", because everything was so perfect--everything. The buildings were gorgeous, the grounds were immaculate, everyone was friendly, you expected the custodian to break out into song. KWIM? It also has the nicest dorms, the best meal plan, small classes, accessible teachers--it just makes me think there has to be more to the story. But, maybe I'm just paranoid.

No, it doesn't even come close to covering the costs! But, we also got word this week that her grandmother put a huge chunk of $$ in a 529 for her (better late than never, don't get me started). She also has a couple of trusts that she can tap. So, the scholarship puts Loyola more in line with the other colleges she's been accepted to.

I must say, I'm a little concerned that Loyola is a pricey finishing school for rich kids. It kind of gave off that vibe when we last visited. They put a lot of emphasis on educating the whole student, and on service--those are things that appeal to my DD. But I want to make sure she's getting what she needs to be employed when she leaves, so that will be my focus while we visit next weekend. I privately refer to it as "Stepford College", because everything was so perfect--everything. The buildings were gorgeous, the grounds were immaculate, everyone was friendly, you expected the custodian to break out into song. KWIM? It also has the nicest dorms, the best meal plan, small classes, accessible teachers--it just makes me think there has to be more to the story. But, maybe I'm just paranoid.

Well, I'm so sorry we didn't visit! My son would have loved that. He's quite the prince!!!

I get your concerns, though. I suppose that when a college is that pricey they are spending their money on *something* and when you are paying that kind of money, you do expect to see a dorm that has been updated post-1970. I guess they key information would be to find out how lucky their alumni have been and how well-regarded the degree is with employers that your daughter would be interested in.

Congrats to Tinijocaro and BuzznBelle'sMom! Every bit helps, I know!

We are back home for two days before hitting the road for College Madness Part 4. This last leg will finish us up with the exception of her in state safety, which is scholarship only.

Update from the weekend: VCU wasn't well received. She just didn't "feel" it. Well, neither did her sister or I. Richmond is quirky and artsy, but safety is a concern among other issues. Again, it is just so important to do these visits. There is no way you would know from looking at a website or reading online in a forum about the "feel" of the school. At one point in this journey, I had thought Unifieds were the way to go. I still think it might be a good way to initially get the interview/audition done, but I would encourage all parents and students to visit those schools where there is an acceptance!

Shenandoah: WOW! We had a totally different feel here. First, Winchester is a great town and Virginia is just breathtakingly beautiful! My older D and I want to go back in good weather and just explore the state. The Conservatory's faculty and staff were very welcoming, as were the current students. My D was impressed with the facilities, and I was impressed with the warmth and genuineness we felt from everyone. Margie Cullers is a hoot and did a super job keeping the day from feeling stiff and from keeping the emotions among the parents too high. Kudos to her and her staff! My D said the interview went very well, she thought. I think Coastal and Shenandoah are neck and neck now!

Next up: We leave Tuesday for Ohio (Wright State and Otterbein). Wednesday evening takes us to Illinois (DePaul), and Friday we go back to Pittsburgh for Point Park. Whew....I'm tired just writing it. I am pleased that my D seems to be open to other schools, even though one particular school at the beach still has her heart!

Update from the weekend: VCU wasn't well received. She just didn't "feel" it. Well, neither did her sister or I. Richmond is quirky and artsy, but safety is a concern among other issues.

Just a note about VCU... a TON of kids from my son's high school go there, as you know its big draw is art and medical/dental schools. Almost every parent I know has issues with safety after a visit, the area just outside of campus doesn't seem like a good place to be. But almost to a person the kids LOVE this school and I can honestly say I haven't heard any first hand accounts of problems. Obviously your daughter has to be comfortable there, but wanted you to know that what you felt is pretty normal for that school. Full disclosure, we have visited and my son's been accepted there but it is way down his list because they aren't strong in his anticipated major.

We hear ok things about Shenandoah (it's ~ an hour away), other than it being dead on the weekends.

Good luck

Just a note about VCU... a TON of kids from my son's high school go there, as you know its big draw is art and medical/dental schools. Almost every parent I know has issues with safety after a visit, the area just outside of campus doesn't seem like a good place to be. But almost to a person the kids LOVE this school and I can honestly say I haven't heard any first hand accounts of problems. Obviously your daughter has to be comfortable there, but wanted you to know that what you felt is pretty normal for that school. Full disclosure, we have visited and my son's been accepted there but it is way down his list because they aren't strong in his anticipated major.

We hear ok things about Shenandoah (it's ~ an hour away), other than it being dead on the weekends.

Good luck

Just wanted to chime in on PlutoPony's post. We live about an hour and half away from VCU so, naturally, a LOT of kids from our area attend. Just about everyone has the same feelings you do after their first visit. In fact, my son didn't even apply to go there because they stopped there during a cross-country meet and he just was underwhelmed. But everyone we know who goes there, really ends of loving it and it has a very good reputation for the arts.

DS just heard from his last school - and he's in!
That's 4 acceptances (3 with his field of study, 1 super-instate-safety); 1 waitlist; and 1 denial.

This last one is his top choice so we know where he's going next year :-)
I'm relieved and excited and a little scared all at the same time!

Someone please tell me it's less stressful with the second child! At least I have a few years before we need to do this again.

Mom2travel--What good news!

I don't know if it'll be easier the second time around. Certainly, having done it once, you know what questions to ask, what to look for, etc. I know my older two have such different personalities, the college search will go very differently. DS15 will definitely stay in-state, if not local. I'm not even sure if college is a good choice for him, so community college might be a good option.

DD17 and I will be travelling to Baltimore this weekend, for her last chance to check out Loyola. We've been once, she's been accepted, and got a presidential scholarship last week, so it might be "the one"--this tirp might decide it. Her other top choice is BU, which is only a couple of hours away, so we can visit there any time (assuming she's accepted, of course).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter