High School Class 2013: Picking Colleges..Check in Here!

We have another academic acceptance: Webster. For the Conservatory, they call this stage of acceptance: Applaud. That's kind of different and cute. Our visits and interviews finally begin next weekend, so maybe, just maybe there will be an artistic acceptance in a month.

That is funny on the Hogwarts tie in! I tried to convince DD to apply to Princeton as they have "houses" and thought the campus great but could not convince her. We really need to visit Florida State and will check out Suwannee! Thanks for the thoughts.

You can actually google and read about FSU Suwannee resembling Hogwarts! Maybe you can meet Mrs. Killings too! She is a well known fixture. My son knew her. http://www.fsunews.com/article/20120125/FSVIEW1/120124022/Mrs-Eva-Killings-brightest-light-FSU

I got DD an excellent housing number (under 190) Tuesday morning when housing app opened. It was scary, slow, and nerve-wracking! DD should get the dorm she wants now! And it is one of the old ones by Suwannee that are redone into suite-style. She is very excited.:hyper: They were close to 3000 by Tuesday evening.

DH and I visited Princeton years ago. It is beautiful, but FSU is too! More so to me, at least the east side.

We have another academic acceptance: Webster. For the Conservatory, they call this stage of acceptance: Applaud. That's kind of different and cute. Our visits and interviews finally begin next weekend, so maybe, just maybe there will be an artistic acceptance in a month.

Congratulations!!! Very best of luck with the artistic acceptance portions ahead.

So DD just got an almost free ride to a no-name state school.

This is me: :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

This is DD: :headache::rolleyes1:sick::rolleyes:

It is a small, lesser known (read: nobody has ever heard of it) school. She asked her professor about it and he was very much in favor of it. He said it is a perfect choice. He knows many of the professors there, thinks she will get a good education, and he said not to pass up free. :lmao: In addition, she will be going directly into a master's program at a name brand school. Once she has that degree, her undergrad won't really matter, imo.

I made her apply to this school. I had read that if you have very good grades/test scores, and you apply to the smaller state colleges who don't generally end up with the top students, you would get a lot of money. She was accepted there months ago but never received money so we have just kind of ignored it. Now that they are offering her a so much money, we need to rethink this.

We are going to visit next week. I've asked her to go in with an open mind. Not sure how that is going to go. :rolleyes: I don't know anything about the school and I am not going to form any opinions until I check it out. I do know that if she were to pick this school, she will walk out with an undergrad degree, an MA, and a car without a penny of debt. I think that is certainly worth considering. Not sure I have her convinced of that. :lmao: Of course, it will be her decision. I will not force her into any school. She knows the costs, she is a good decision maker, and I will support her with whatever she decides.

LisaR said:

It is a small, lesser known (read: nobody has ever heard of it) school. She asked her professor about it and he was very much in favor of it. He said it is a perfect choice. He knows many of the professors there, thinks she will get a good education, and he said not to pass up free. :lmao: In addition, she will be going directly into a master's program at a name brand school. Once she has that degree, her undergrad won't really matter, imo.

I made her apply to this school. I had read that if you have very good grades/test scores, and you apply to the smaller state colleges who don't generally end up with the top students, you would get a lot of money. She was accepted there months ago but never received money so we have just kind of ignored it. Now that they are offering her a so much money, we need to rethink this.

We are going to visit next week. I've asked her to go in with an open mind. Not sure how that is going to go. :rolleyes: I don't know anything about the school and I am not going to form any opinions until I check it out. I do know that if she were to pick this school, she will walk out with an undergrad degree, an MA, and a car without a penny of debt. I think that is certainly worth considering. Not sure I have her convinced of that. :lmao: Of course, it will be her decision. I will not force her into any school. She knows the costs, she is a good decision maker, and I will support her with whatever she decides.

Congrats and good luck!!

It is so hard to make some of these decisions!

You can actually google and read about FSU Suwannee resembling Hogwarts! Maybe you can meet Mrs. Killings too! She is a well known fixture. My son knew her. http://www.fsunews.com/article/20120125/FSVIEW1/120124022/Mrs-Eva-Killings-brightest-light-FSU

I got DD an excellent housing number (under 190) Tuesday morning when housing app opened. It was scary, slow, and nerve-wracking! DD should get the dorm she wants now! And it is one of the old ones by Suwannee that are redone into suite-style. She is very excited.:hyper: They were close to 3000 by Tuesday evening.

DH and I visited Princeton years ago. It is beautiful, but FSU is too! More so to me, at least the east side.

My daughter is a freshman at FSU now and loves it. Her dorm is right next to Suwanee, she is in Broward and it is gorgeous inside totally redone. Her priority number was in the 300's and that was her first choice and she got it. Even though she is a second semester freshman her status has already been changed to Junior because of all the IB credits she came in with. She got straight A'S her first semester and made the presidents list and honors program. Loves her roommate. No sorority as of yet but now she is looking into joining the honors frat, and is also interviewing to be an RA. She has made so many friends and everyone loves it there.

My daughter is a freshman at FSU now and loves it. Her dorm is right next to Suwanee, she is in Broward and it is gorgeous inside totally redone. Her priority number was in the 300's and that was her first choice and she got it. Even though she is a second semester freshman her status has already been changed to Junior because of all the IB credits she came in with. She got straight A'S her first semester and made the presidents list and honors program. Loves her roommate. No sorority as of yet but now she is looking into joining the honors frat, and is also interviewing to be an RA. She has made so many friends and everyone loves it there.

That's great! My son is doing very well there too. He is a Sr., makes Presidents or Deans list each semester and loves it. He was in Ragan last year. He is in an apartment now.

YES, DD wants Broward or Reynolds I think. That is great to hear that a 300 got into Broward. I know it is small and her number is right above the number of residents in Broward. So I figured it was likely she could get that. I am not sure if she has a shot at Gilchrist. She will have some AP credits going in!

I don't think she is going to do a sorority, but who knows at this point! My mom was in one there, I was not.

My daughters BF is in Landis and she has so many friends in there and Gilchrist, those walkways between dorms get utilized constantly. AS far as her dorm location for freshman I don't think she would change a thing. I think the halllways etc in broward seem much nicer than in Gilchrist and Landis. Lovely hardwood carpet and just meticulous. I seriously couldnt believe it when we dropped her off in August, I was just blown away. If she doesnt get an RA position I think she is trying for Traditions first and then Ragans 2nd for the fall.

That is great!!!!! I really hope she decides to take the free ride.

My son got his Honors College acceptance yesterday to West Virginia University. He was already accepted into their engineering department back in December. The Honors College was a separate admittance. I ended up paying the academic deposit and housing deposit for WVU. It's really my son's third choice school; however, if he is going to go there, I want him to have the benefit of living in the Honors College dorm (new, beautiful) which is first-come, first-serve as far as getting in. Since WVU is rolling admissions, many people already know they are going. Room selection starts on February 1st.

So, darn it, I just had to come off a few hundred dollars. Fortunately, if I notify them by May 1st, I will get all of the academic deposit money back and HALF of the housing deposit.

My daughters BF is in Landis and she has so many friends in there and Gilchrist, those walkways between dorms get utilized constantly. AS far as her dorm location for freshman I don't think she would change a thing. I think the halllways etc in broward seem much nicer than in Gilchrist and Landis. Lovely hardwood carpet and just meticulous. I seriously couldnt believe it when we dropped her off in August, I was just blown away. If she doesnt get an RA position I think she is trying for Traditions first and then Ragans 2nd for the fall.

Traditions wasn't open when my son was in Ragan, but my cousins daughter loves it! Says it is very nice.

What meal plan did your DD have last semester and this one? We got my son the 150 black when he was in Ragan and he had leftover meals, used the Flexbucks. He used his kitchen at Ragan some. DD doesn't need unlimited and will eat off campus some. Probably most bfast in her room! I am thinking 150 or 180 black with the flexbucks. Any advice for a girl that doesn't stuff herself and likes to eat healthy most of the time?

My son got his Honors College acceptance yesterday to West Virginia University. He was already accepted into their engineering department back in December. The Honors College was a separate admittance. I ended up paying the academic deposit and housing deposit for WVU. It's really my son's third choice school; however, if he is going to go there, I want him to have the benefit of living in the Honors College dorm (new, beautiful) which is first-come, first-serve as far as getting in. Since WVU is rolling admissions, many people already know they are going. Room selection starts on February 1st.

So, darn it, I just had to come off a few hundred dollars. Fortunately, if I notify them by May 1st, I will get all of the academic deposit money back and HALF of the housing deposit.

Congratulations! I sympathize with all those fees though, just went through that!

Congratulations, Christine!

We can't any deposits until: 1) artistic acceptances are in and 2) financial packages are in. Sigh..I'm so ready to get these auditions going. The waiting is awful!

Congratulations, Christine! That is great for your DS. When do you find out about the other two (his 1st/2nd choice). We are still awaiting Amherst and Florida, but all of the others are set.

Has anyone particpated in a scholarship competition weekend? DD was invited to compete for Harold Alfond Foundation schloarship at Rollins College in a few weeks and wondering if others have been through a similar process to see what to expect.

Congratulations, Christine! That is great for your DS. When do you find out about the other two (his 1st/2nd choice). We are still awaiting Amherst and Florida, but all of the others are set.

Has anyone particpated in a scholarship competition weekend? DD was invited to compete for Harold Alfond Foundation schloarship at Rollins College in a few weeks and wondering if others have been through a similar process to see what to expect.

My daughter did! It was a small private school in another state. She just did it a week ago. She flew up there herself so I can't give direct experience. They had already offered her their top scholarship that they award to honor's students. This competition awarded one free ride, one full tuition for one year, plus a dozen plus other scholarships based on many different criteria which awarded from $30,000 down to $500. She won two more scholarships, but the school is just too expensive even with all the money she won.

She said they did one on one interviews, small group interviews, and then they had a dinner where each participant had to speak. They didn't give her anything up front to prepare for so she went in cold. Although we both knew that there was a 99.9% chance that she would not attend this school, they paid for her to go up there so we felt it would be a great learning experience for her. She enjoyed her time up there and felt it was worthwhile. Also, the school didn't end up appealing to her as much as she remembered from when we used to live there. Plus, she discovered she really isn't a cold weather type person anymore.

The waiting for financial aid to come through is KILLING my son! And I'm antsy about it too! We really can't decide until we see some numbers. C'mon March!!! (we haven't put any deposits down yet- although the private school will refund us if we bale by May 1. The state school won't refund anything, so we won't send a deposit in to that one until we are absolutely certain).

My daughter did! It was a small private school in another state. She just did it a week ago. She flew up there herself so I can't give direct experience. They had already offered her their top scholarship that they award to honor's students. This competition awarded one free ride, one full tuition for one year, plus a dozen plus other scholarships based on many different criteria which awarded from $30,000 down to $500. She won two more scholarships, but the school is just too expensive even with all the money she won. .

GREAT info ... thanks so much for sharing LisaR! I am thinking certainly a good experience for her to go through, no matter the outcome.

My dd was accepted Early Decision. We did the early read and they came up with the money we needed to send her there. She is thrilled beyond belief. She will be majoring in Dance and English. Any suggestions on the dorms? She is thinking of Walz and Brown.

She had applied to Ithaca (accepted early action), Binghamton, (early action - will hear this week) Purchase, Geneseo, and University of Richmond. I know we have to decline all those, but she still wants to know if she was accepted or not lol.

Lovethatmouse: Congratulations! Isn't it wonderful you are not in a holding period any longer. My dd is in Walz and that is the "best" freshmen dorm, according to my dd. It is also air conditioned and I can tell you VERY, VERY, VERY clean, any time I have been there, and that is what my dd and her friends say too. The dorm selection goes by first come first serve and the ED kids are mostly all in Walz since they get first preference. We made sure we sent in deposits right away when dorm selection was concerned (your dd doesn't need to choose a roommate at that time).

My dd made very close friends and my dd enjoys being around fun but smart students. The friends I have met (one from DC stayed over during the break and I have met others Family Weekend and breaks) are all very, very nice.
My dd was on a FB page last year that was made for all the 'Berg kids that were accepted/deposited and they met in the city a couple of times before they started school so they "knew" each other before the first day.

Congratulations and PM me with any questions since this is the first I've been on this thread since I posted in November.

Thought I'd bump us back up with some good news: my DD finally has her first artistic acceptance! We visited Coastal Carolina this weekend where she did her interview/portfolio review. On Monday she received word of her acceptance. She is beyond thrilled! She really, really loves CCU. It is a truly up and coming theatre program with great talent and a terrific faculty. I'm trying to keep her grounded, though, because she has many more auditions and visits to do. Plus, no decisions can be made until all financial packages are in. I will say, though, that I would be very happy if she ends up a Chanticleer. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter