Hicks on Holiday 2 - Done Brung the Kin Folk-Sept. 07 w/pics UPDATE 12/10/08 pg 41

MOM, if we are ever there again please invite me to just sit and watch your kids in the pool. I love watching people and those are such a delightful bunch of people. I am sorely glad that I am a grandma since I can get away with delighting in watching small children play while many times a man cannot. :sad1:

That would be fun. I hope we can work that out next time. :goodvibes

Bimming suit? Mine would be BRIMMING. I keep thinking I might at least dip my toes in a pool one day but have not, yet.

I got a bimmin soup that looks like a tank top and shorts, and I feel good enough to walk all the way from the 50s to the kiddie pool without a burqa.
Not attracting a lot of attention...but that's a good thing! LOL

Bradley was also in Jumungi and a few other movies you might have seen. Touched by an Angel and some TV shows too. He does voice over work now and is trying to get back in front of the camera. He has two children of his own now. Time flies.

I liked Jumangi. Truly a scary movie, without gore. That's the kind of scary movie I like. :thumbsup2

Homeschool kids and public school kids are alike, some do well, some do not. It all depends. Mostly on the parents, in either situation. Helps to have kids who listen though.

I will be in charge of the library this year. I have a feeling it might be because there is no funding and they think that I will make sure they have what they need. Reminds me that I have to go through the stacks of books I got over the summer and sort them out. :rotfl: Beanbag chairs for all!!

SG

I have found that too. Personality is not changed based on the mode of education. The thing I like is that my kids are not as jaded, and not as "savvy," in a good way. I always say my dd14 is naive in a good way, and mature in a good way, as opposed to being mature in a bad way, and naive in a bad way, which is what I see from a lot of kids these days.

Yes, I think you did mention that spent lots of time in the bathrooms...;)

That's kind of an ugly rabbit! Yep, he must be related to Roger.

"Only less protest-y" :rotfl: :lmao:

The great mystery of the WDW Buddist monks....:rotfl:

I can't agree with you more on relaxing by the pool. I don't find swimming around after thrashing, splashing children real relaxing! I love the kiddie pool (or as Sohappy's kids refer to it, "the cat pool")!

I am so glad you appreciate my humor. Probably why we get along so well. :hug:

"cat pool" :lmao: Sounds like something my kids would say.

Anytime you can contain children in a safe environment while you get to sit and rest it is a good thing.:cool1:

SG

With seven kids, I am ALL about containment. :rotfl:

A good friend of mine once took her seven kids to WDW, and every 5 minutes she would count heads "1.2.3.4.5.6.7"
Finally her dh said "STOP counting them, they're all here!!!"

She went along for a few minutes, and then finally said "I can't stand it, I HAVE to count them." "1...2...3...4...5...6........"
"1...2...3...4...5...6.......AAAAAAHHHHHHH! There's only SIX!!!"

Sure enough, they had lost one. Thankfully she was a cool headed eight year old, who found a map and walked herself to guest relations. She was still waiting in line there when they found her. :lmao:

All that to say, you can never be too careful.

I'm loving this report!!! :lmao:

Thanks! :goodvibes

Thanks for sharing another great day. I thought it was funny that the older kids were too grown up for Kim Possible - I am nearly 30 and that is still one of my favourite shows! I was also lucky enough to meet them at MGM :goodvibes

Laur's princess:

Thanks for sharing another great day. I thought it was funny that the older kids were too grown up for Kim Possible - I am nearly 30 and that is still one of my favourite shows! I was also lucky enough to meet them at MGM :goodvibes

Laur's princess:

They seem to forget how old they are when they get around Mickey. :thumbsup2

Thanks for reading!

Why do we call him Charmin?
Well, that's what Bitsy and Princess K call Princes,
or any other guy they like.

The other day they were playing, and the conversation went like this:

Princess K: "I love Jake, and HE is my Charmin."
(I THINK they got the name from a character in Hannah Montana.)

Bitsy: "No, I love Jake. He loves me. He is MY Charmin."

Princess K: "No, he's MY Charmin."

Bitsy: "NO, he's MY CHARMIN!!!"

The Inquisitor: "HI, I'm Jake!!!"

Bitsy, to Princess K: "You can have him."

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Just read the whole thing and enjoyed it immensely. I normally wouldn't quote at all but this post had me crying at my desk from laughter. Thank goodness my office is empty today or how would I explain the guffaws?

Very entertaining. I look forward to more!

Just read the whole thing and enjoyed it immensely. I normally wouldn't quote at all but this post had me crying at my desk from laughter. Thank goodness my office is empty today or how would I explain the guffaws?

Very entertaining. I look forward to more!

So glad we could entertain you! :rotfl2:

They keep us in stitches also.

Thanks for reading.

MOM, :rotfl:

There should also be premarital counseling as there are many complications in a mixed marriage. Ya know those who like it over the top and those who prefer it unroll from the bottom. :laughing:

SG

MOM, :rotfl:

There should also be premarital counseling as there are many complications in a mixed marriage. Ya know those who like it over the top and those who prefer it unroll from the bottom. :laughing:

SG

I hear ya.
I have already warned my kids that if they love WDW so much, they had better find a spouse that does also. Makes life soooo much easier. LOL

MOM, I have a feeling that all will work out with you and you will be enjoying Disney family vacations with your great grandkids even. :cool1:

My children did not listen to me. I have a grandchild or two who does though. :lmao:

SG

Is It Hot In Here - Or Is It Just Me?
Animal Kingdom
Sept. 20, 2007

Back in 1907 we Hicks made a trek to Nepal, and attempted to climb Mt. Everest.

IMG_0355-1.jpg

Oh, I'm sorry, I am confused.
We’re talking 2007! Got it.
Well, good, that’s a much more interesting story anyway.

When we last left the Hicks,
they had managed to hit 3 parks in three days,
so that left one more for that Thursday – Animal Kingdom.
We LOVE Animal Kingdom,
and get really confused when people say it is just a half day park.
Personally, I think it takes half a day just to get from one side of it to the other,
but maybe that’s just me.

Honestly, I understand theming needs to be a priority,
but couldn’t they have figured out an EASIER way to get from the front of the park to the back,
other than having to go through EVERY land on the way???
Not to mention, the giant air-conditioning dome over Animal Kingdom must be permanently broken,
because MAN is it hot in there!
The Jungle experience is extremely authentic.

The only time we have been to AK that it was NOT unbearably hot is February.
And it was STILL hotter there than in the other parks.

All that said, we were excited to show the cousins AK, and to try out a ride that was new to us, Expedition Everest.

On the way in, we lost Stitch Jr. for a moment.
He had stopped to have a conversation with Wes Palm, AK’s resident talking palm tree.
Stitch Jr.: “What are you?”
Wes Palm: “What do you mean, what am I? I’m a Tree.”
Stitch Jr.: “Then where’s your coconuts?”
Wes: “I don’t have coconuts. I’m not a coconut tree.”
Stitch Jr.: “Then where’s your bananas?”
Wes: “I don’t have bananas. I told you, I’m a palm tree. Look over there.
There’s palm trees over there and they don’t have any bananas.”
Stitch Jr.: “Well...I still think you should have some kind of fruit!”

At this point we intervened, and dragged Stitch to the turnstiles.

We were pretty early,
but when we approached the turnstiles,
there seemed to be a lot of confusion going on.
The restaurant early ADR line seemed to be severely malfunctioning,
with a bit of chaos surrounding it.
There was also a bit of one ticket line was really long,
while others were weirdly sparse.
Of course, we ended up in the middle of the long line.
And didn’t want to abandon it only to find ourselves in the back of another.

Finally they started taking tickets, and we were off.
Well, for a moment.
It all came to a screeching halt when SOMEBODY,
and I won’t mention who,
decided to use the bathroom.

:rolleyes:

Did I mention that my smaller children were on a mission to visit EVERY restroom in WDW???

And for some reason, this took a REALLY long time,
and, yup, you guessed it, we missed the little opening spiel.

While I was assisting said small child in the bathroom,
the rest of the group was entertained by cast members with boxes of bugs.

Hey, what entertains us may not entertain you, but whatever works.

We made it up to the tree of life viewing area
and stopped to let Bionic SIL take some pics of the tree.

We made our way toward Africa to ride the safari.
There was already quite a wait, so we decided to get a fast past.

I have to say the Fast Past cms must be some of the most patient people,
because every time I have been back there,
they are always having to deal with someone who doesn’t know what a fast pass is,
doesn’t understand how to get one,
or what to do with one once they do get one.

Bionic SIL and I went together to get all the fast passes,
and were able to do so without incident.

We then headed for Everest,
wondering if we would be able to ride,
or if we would have to come back.

On the way to Asia,
we stopped to take our traditional family photo with the Big Feet Bench.

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

Caution: Climbing on the ruins will not be tolerated. Do not attempt!
Just because WE got away with it, doesn't mean you will! :rolleyes1

I love the ruins that dot the landscape in AK.
And I really LOVE all the theming in Asia.
:lovestruc

IMG_0355.jpg

At Everest, surprisingly enough, there wasn’t a very long wait.

I had wanted to ride,
but that morning I was feeling kind of oogy
(maybe the heat was doing me in finally?)
so I told the adventurous few to go ahead.

Chef C and all of my younger kids stayed with Mom and I to wait.

I wanted to watch for them coming down the hill,
but, it was waaaaay too hot to stand in the sun while waiting,
so Mom and I sat in the shade next to the sample ride car.

These sample cars are pretty cool.
If you want to see in advance what the size of the car is,
and how it is configured,
there are usually sample cars tucked away in a secluded spot for you to try out.

The crew was back in record time, very excited by the experience,
and John told Chef C that he HAD to ride with him.

They jumped back into line, and were off.

When they got back, Chef C all smiles,
we decided to make our way back to Africa,
with the intention of heading over to the Wildlife Express,
to catch a ride to Conservation Station/Rafiki’s Planet Watch,
the attraction that takes the longest to get to,
AND has the most names for the least amount of stuff!

Next Up: Poch Jr. Meets the Real Deal

Yay for AK! It's our favorite park and I don't understand why people call it a 1/2 day park either. :confused3 Usually we don't get there till the latter part of our trip and the heat and walking take the fun out of it. So this year we've smartened up and will be doing AK on our first day. Only took us 2 years to figure that one out! :rotfl:

~Beka~

Heck, I keep reading your TR and find myself wanting to move in with you. Shame you already have a perfectly wonderful grandma or I just might.:rotfl:

Intelligent kids with senses of humor? Love it!

Three days until I leave. Nothing ready. :scared1:

SG/Linda

Yay for AK! It's our favorite park and I don't understand why people call it a 1/2 day park either. :confused3 Usually we don't get there till the latter part of our trip and the heat and walking take the fun out of it. So this year we've smartened up and will be doing AK on our first day. Only took us 2 years to figure that one out! :rotfl:

~Beka~

Hmmm....not a bad idea. Have to keep that in mind for next time.

Heck, I keep reading your TR and find myself wanting to move in with you. Shame you already have a perfectly wonderful grandma or I just might.:rotfl:

Intelligent kids with senses of humor? Love it!

Three days until I leave. Nothing ready. :scared1:

SG/Linda

Linda - Come on over! LOL

DD14 just said "no one can have too many grandmas." :goodvibes

Three days! :scared1:

We were there 3 years ago this week. Right in the middle of Katrina (who thoughtfully missed Orlando in her trek of misery). And it's a month until when we were there last year. Sniff.

Kind of glad I don't have that financially over my head at the moment, and holding out hope that the job situation stays steady and that they offer free dining again next year!

Thanks for reading!!! :banana:

I just stumbled on your trip report and am excited to read it, if only for your ingenious titles (Vittles A Go Go is my favorite). I'm going to start catching up now! :surfweb:

I just stumbled on your trip report and am excited to read it, if only for your ingenious titles (Vittles A Go Go is my favorite). I'm going to start catching up now! :surfweb:

Oooo, how exciting! Love new readers! Welcome!

I post at a slow pace, but if you stick with me I promise to attempt to entertain you! :thumbsup2

Thanks for reading!

MOM, you have to TRY to entertain? Nah, you do it, as you do everything else, effortlessly. Just comes naturally. Please tell your son that I said that there is no such thing as too many grandchildren either. :love:

BTW, I know from a good source that there IS a bounceback for Free Dining next year. I have also heard, from another source that I do not know as well, that it will be the same DP as this year. I do not know about that one as I have read that the UK is being offered the new CS option but I am guessing that you guys will not mind either way. No tips!!

My weight loss group is having their national convention at DW in July of next year. No free food though. We all shall be sooooo disappointed. :rotfl:

SG

BTW, I know from a good source that there IS a bounceback for Free Dining next year. I have also heard, from another source that I do not know as well, that it will be the same DP as this year. I do not know about that one as I have read that the UK is being offered the new CS option but I am guessing that you guys will not mind either way. No tips!!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
YOU JUST MADE MY DAY ABOUT FREE DINING FOR NEXT YEAR!
THAT IS WHY WE ARE PLANNING FOR THAT TIME NEXT YEAR IS TO GET FREE DINING THANKS TO SARAH'S TRIP REPORT I HAVE LEARNED ALL ABOUT IT
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana::banana:

MOM, you have to TRY to entertain? Nah, you do it, as you do everything else, effortlessly. Just comes naturally. Please tell your son that I said that there is no such thing as too many grandchildren either. :love:

My weight loss group is having their national convention at DW in July of next year. No free food though. We all shall be sooooo disappointed. :rotfl:

SG

Actually, I don't know what I typed, but it was my daughter that you met that said that about you, so it really means something since she met you! :thumbsup2

Yeah, the fact that the UK is getting free dining already is hopeful. I am hoping that even if it is the CS plan, that they will let us pay to upgrade to the basic TS plan, as daddy likes the sit-downs. Upgrade and tip would still be cheaper than out of pocket for us!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
YOU JUST MADE MY DAY ABOUT FREE DINING FOR NEXT YEAR!
THAT IS WHY WE ARE PLANNING FOR THAT TIME NEXT YEAR IS TO GET FREE DINING THANKS TO SARAH'S TRIP REPORT I HAVE LEARNED ALL ABOUT IT

We can all hope together! :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter