Hicks on Holiday 2 - Done Brung the Kin Folk-Sept. 07 w/pics UPDATE 12/10/08 pg 41

MOM, back in the day we used to stay at Ramada because they offered free meals for kids so I can imagine what Free Dining means to you and your family.

I have a friend currently at DW so I know that it is being offered next year until Oct 1st! Make sure to book so that you can be there during F&W and enjoy all those FREE tastings!

I am sorry I slipped with the son/daughter thing. I remember your daughter well. She makes a very good impression. Please tell her I said hello?

I am betting it will be the CS option but I might be wrong. My family says I am always wrong but guess who they call when they make a mistake? :banana:

SG/Linda

MOM, back in the day we used to stay at Ramada because they offered free meals for kids so I can imagine what Free Dining means to you and your family.

I have a friend currently at DW so I know that it is being offered next year until Oct 1st! Make sure to book so that you can be there during F&W and enjoy all those FREE tastings!

I am sorry I slipped with the son/daughter thing. I remember your daughter well. She makes a very good impression. Please tell her I said hello?

I am betting it will be the CS option but I might be wrong. My family says I am always wrong but guess who they call when they make a mistake? :banana:

SG/Linda

DisneyGirl does not mind the mix-up, as she knows you're pretty ok. :thumbsup2

I'm betting on the CS being the free deal too.
WDW is all about the cost-cutting right now.

But this past time they allowed upgrades to Deluxe, (just pay the difference),
so I am HOPING they allow you to pay the difference and upgrade to basic.
If Fay has done what I think she has done,
combined with bad economy and gas prices,
I am HOPING it will be in WDW's best interest to entice my family to come to WDW.
I think they'd rather have my money than NOT have my money. Just a hunch. LOL

Have a GREAT trip!

I'm excited that you might get to go again next year! :banana: :banana: :banana:
I believe we will forgo free dining next year to be able to go at Christmastime! Plus, my parents really want to go with us, but Dad can't in september due to his job.

~Beka~

I'm excited that you might get to go again next year! :banana: :banana: :banana:
I believe we will forgo free dining next year to be able to go at Christmastime! Plus, my parents really want to go with us, but Dad can't in september due to his job.

~Beka~

We are sooooo torn between saying we're definately going and we're definately not. So we hang in an annoying limbo of denial.

Even IF there is free dining, it will all depend on John's job. He works in automotive production. Enough said. :sad2:

I can't seriously plan, because I don't want to be disappointed.

We had to cancel a trip in Feb. '05. Hated that. But it worked out, because then they offered free dining that fall.

I want to go in December some time, but the free food + seven kids is a hard combo to pass up.

Yes, I believe you are right oh wise one! Better to get some cash from us than none. I have been through it all and seen it all but want to go back again! :rotfl:

Each trip is unique and we can bend to the circumstances. As long as there is a Golden Corral nearby where I can load my dh up for a mere $5 or so before heading to the parks I am good to go!

Please tell DisneyGirl that I am honored with her comment. You cannot trick a child or an animal. They know who really likes them and who is faking it. I fake really, really well. :rotfl: Shame grownups have to go and spoil kids. Well, not YOU too much, as you still have the child in your heart. :laughing: :love:

Did I tell you that my bil's who think woman are stupid want me to take them to DW for Christmas this year? One is a Victoria and Albert's type and the other is a McDonalds dollar menu type. Should be an interesting trip, if we go. :scared1:

SG

Yes, I believe you are right oh wise one! Better to get some cash from us than none. I have been through it all and seen it all but want to go back again! :rotfl:

Each trip is unique and we can bend to the circumstances. As long as there is a Golden Corral nearby where I can load my dh up for a mere $5 or so before heading to the parks I am good to go!

Please tell DisneyGirl that I am honored with her comment. You cannot trick a child or an animal. They know who really likes them and who is faking it. I fake really, really well. :rotfl: Shame grownups have to go and spoil kids. Well, not YOU too much, as you still have the child in your heart. :laughing: :love:

Did I tell you that my bil's who think woman are stupid want me to take them to DW for Christmas this year? One is a Victoria and Albert's type and the other is a McDonalds dollar menu type. Should be an interesting trip, if we go. :scared1:

SG

Did you read Marivaid/Marina's trip report about taking her sis to WDW? OY!
Makes me realize how GREAT our trip actually was!

Sounds like fun. If they get annoying, just ditch them and blame senility. LOL

MOM, I doubt I would get away with ditching them. One is a retired judge, younger than I and the other some sort of international man of mystery, retired from the IRS. They could track me down and would. :lmao:

They look upon me as an oddity, sort of like a dog that can talk. I do not have to know everything, they are amazed that, as a woman, I know anything at all. :dance3:

I will have to check out that travel report. I would be afraid to post some things for fear that the person I wrote about might find it one day, and track me down. :scared1:

SG/Linda

Yepp, the bounceback for free dining is available. I saw the paper yesterday.

MOM, I doubt I would get away with ditching them. One is a retired judge, younger than I and the other some sort of international man of mystery, retired from the IRS. They could track me down and would. :lmao:

They look upon me as an oddity, sort of like a dog that can talk. I do not have to know everything, they are amazed that, as a woman, I know anything at all. :dance3:

I will have to check out that travel report. I would be afraid to post some things for fear that the person I wrote about might find it one day, and track me down. :scared1:

SG/Linda

They sound interesting. I'm sure John would love it if someone referred to him as an International Man of Mystery. Ya baby!

Here's Marina's trip link: Why I didn't talk to my sister for a week

Tell her you found it here, in my report. It spreads the love around. LOL

Yepp, the bounceback for free dining is available. I saw the paper yesterday.

Better and better! Are you there now???

My one bil works overseas so he does not have to pay US income taxes so that is why I refer to him as such. He sets up tax systems in other countries. He has only been shot at once though. Hard way to make a buck. IMO. :scared1:

I went in and tracked down the TR and have saved the link for when I return home. I am too far behind in my work to read it and truly enjoy it right now. I will tell her or she will read this. :flower3:

Back to work and trying to keep my eyes open. :banana:

SG

Poch Jr. Meets the Real Deal
Animal Kingdom
Sept. 20, 2007

When we last left the Hicks they were on a train
headed for deepest darkest Africa.

Well, not really, but the “Wildlife Express Train” IS pretty cool.

I don’t think we even went to Conservation station our first trip,
but we did our second, and actually really liked it.

The Path to Conservation Station, Rafiki as host:

IM000936.jpg

There are a lot of cool veterinary displays, and a lot of other exhibits.

Sometimes you even get to see a surgery!

Cool mural (w/ lots of hidden mickeys!):

IM000938.jpg

IM000939.jpg

My kids are a big fan of the “sounds” exhibit.
You go into little soundproof rooms, put on earphones,
and Grandmother Willow talks to you about sounds in the wild.

It is really cool! :thumbsup2

And receives very little advertisement.

We had to stumble across it ourselves.

We were in luck for some character interaction, as we noticed Jiminy Cricket was receiving guests.

D. Nephew Stitch Jr. (notice Mom in the background! LOL):

IM000944.jpg

IM000945.jpg

D. Niece Poch Jr.

IM000946.jpg

IM000947.jpg

The bunch (and Mom, LOL):

IM000948.jpg

IM000949-1.jpg

Then, much to Poch Jr.’s joy, Pochohantas appeared!

Poch and Poch Jr.:

IM000940.jpg

DisneyGirl and Poch:

IM000942.jpg

I spent the majority of this time sitting on a bench with Babycakes.

I was tired, and she was hungry.
[I have nursed in the most unusual WDW locations,
but I've been doing it a long time, so it doesn't faze me.]

Then, the group decided to go out and check out the petting zoo area.

IM000950.jpg

I like the fact that guests do not feed the animals, so they tend to be less agressive.

IM000951.jpg

The Mickey Butt sheep:

IM000952.jpg

IM000953.jpg

IM000954.jpg

Wow, that's flexible!!!

IM000955.jpg

Yup, they are soooo much less agressive, they are practically comatose:

IM000956.jpg

:lmao:

We looked over the merchandise for sale by the petting zoo,
and then decided to head back to the train,
as it was almost time for our fastpasses for the safari.

Next Up: “Wow, those Animitronic Animals look Very real!”

We also didn't bother with conservation station until our second trip. But we also did the listening booths. I liked going over there if not for the fact that it's not crowded and there's no lines for characters! Last year I got to pet a burmese python! Me, who's scared of the little snake in the garden! I guess I knew it had to be safe if it's at Disney! :thumbsup2

~Beka~

We also didn't bother with conservation station until our second trip. But we also did the listening booths. I liked going over there if not for the fact that it's not crowded and there's no lines for characters! Last year I got to pet a burmese python! Me, who's scared of the little snake in the garden! I guess I knew it had to be safe if it's at Disney! :thumbsup2

~Beka~

Very brave! :thumbsup2

Yeah, the character interaction is pretty good. I didn't write it, but knowing that's where you can meet Pochahontas is part of the reason we went back there. Didn't want to let dniece down! :wizard:

I noticed how soon your trip is! Yay!!! :banana:

Have a GREAT trip!!!

Great day so far. I would love to meet Jiminy Cricket, I have never seen him around the parks. One for the list.

Laur's princess:

I love the talking palm tree conversation! Tessa was pretty disappointed when we didn't see it this time.

Climbing on the ruins? You rule breakers!

I've never seen the sample cars! Sounds cool! I could sit in it with Sawyer if he's too small to ride! ;)

We took Tessa into one of those sounds booths when she was 2. The animals sounded so real that she tore off her headphones and cried with fear! It was really cool! :rotfl:

Hey, I've never seen anyone other than Stanley back at the Conservation Station! How cool that you saw Pocahontas AND Jiminy Cricket!

"Now that's flexible" :lmao:

I'm a little slow. I never figured out why these goats were so much nicer than most goats in a petting zoo!

“Wow, those Animatronic Animals look Very real!”
Animal Kingdom
Sept. 20, 2007

When we last left the Hicks, they had been to the
Wildlife Express/Rafiki’s Planet Watch/Habitat Habitat
/Affection section/Conservation Station area of AK.

Typing all that plus the time it takes to ride the train there
takes more time than touring the actual place.

No, not really, but sometimes it seems that way.

We actually had spent quite a bit of time there.

But now it was time to move on to our Fast Pass for the Safari.

Have I mentioned that we LOVE the safari. Love, love, love it!

The first time we went on it, we saw tons of animals.

The second time, we even saw the lions!

That time was the funniest, though,
due to Princess K’s very excited 2 year old running dialogue.

“Cow mommy, cow!!!” (Wildebeest, I think.)

“Crock-a-gators mommy!”
(Now our family name for those animals that are either crocodiles or alligators, but none of us desire to get close enough to find out.)

“Mangos mommy!” (Translation - Flamingos)

IM000989.jpg

We were hoping this time would be just as successful,
but I was a little worried,
because usually it is best to go first thing in the morning,
especially when it’s hot.

IM000958.jpg

Even with a fast pass we had to wait probably 15 minutes.

But, the newbies were terribly impressed
at how we had walked past hundreds of people in the stand-by line.

That's right people, I'm good, and don't you forget it!

I do not know what it is about Animal Kingdom,
but I have not been there on an empty day yet!

IM000962.jpg

IM000961.jpg

IM000960.jpg

We have read several anecdotes
about people thinking the safari animals are animatronics.
:lmao:

Notice the fine crafting on these animatronic Watusi cattle

IM000977.jpg

IM000979.jpg

IM000976.jpg

That cracked us up,
so now we always have to make a fuss about how “real” all the animals are.
I mean, WDW is good, but not that good! LOL

IM000970.jpg

IM000968.jpg

IM000965.jpg

The newbies loved the ride as much as we do.

IM000978.jpg

IM000972.jpg

IM000999.jpg

We even had a close encounter:

IM000996.jpg

And some elephants:

IM000987.jpg

IM000986.jpg

IM000984.jpg

IM0001801.jpg

We finished the safari,
and decided this would be a good time as any to get lunch.

I had thought it might be a good time to try Restaurantasauras,
as we were ready for some basic, McDonald’s type food.

We walked through Africa, around the big tree,
and paused for a moment,
confused by the good smells emanating from Pizzafari.

I knew that dnephew and dniece would eat pizza.
And that Pizzafari had GF pizza available.
It sounded like a good idea.

But something in the back of my brain was saying “you didn’t plan on this for a reason!”
:confused3

We even parked the stroller,
pulled the small children out of it,
and started to walk in.

But then I remembered that they didn’t have pizza on the kid’s menu.
:eek:

I spoke up.
:scared:
We all stopped,
and with some mild grumbling we did an about face,
re-loaded the stroller,
and continued on our way to Restaurant-a-sauras, and an tour of Dinoland.

[Thanks to DisneyGirl for all the pics.
I never am able to take fast enough pics on the safari.
I usually have a baby bouncing on my lap! LOL]

Next up: Dinos a Go-Go

Seriously lacking in cool hick-ish language (is there such a thing) to say "Woo Hoo ... I read the whole thing".

Excellent TR. Can't wait to read more.

AHR

You have some lovely pictures of the safari :thumbsup2 I especially like the elephant ones, we only ever seem to see them from afar.

Laur's princess:

Seriously lacking in cool hick-ish language (is there such a thing) to say "Woo Hoo ... I read the whole thing".

Excellent TR. Can't wait to read more.

AHR

Welcome! Thanks for the TR love. I'm taking so long to write it that I'm having trouble hanging on to readers. But I'm trying to fix that. :thumbsup2

DisneyGirl did a great job taking pictures.

I'll pass that along. She loves photography. (so did I at that age, and still do)
Her camera's not quite as good as mine, and she keeps saying "I think you need to get a new camera, and give me that one." LOL

You have some lovely pictures of the safari :thumbsup2 I especially like the elephant ones, we only ever seem to see them from afar.

Laur's princess:

Thanks! Like I said, I never have gotten good safari pics. DisneyGirl was on the money that day.

Thanks for reading everybody!

I'm off to my mom's for the weekend, no updates to after that. She has dial-up and none of my pics. LOL

Have a great weekend!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter