Hicks on Holiday 2 - Done Brung the Kin Folk-Sept. 07 w/pics UPDATE 12/10/08 pg 41

MoM, I am curious about something. I have seen and read about teaching babies sign language and thought it an interesting concept. I always tell my small grandchildren, and older ones, when needed, that they need to express their thoughts with words and not throw fits. I am thinking that if a baby could communicate they would not be so frustrated and it would be good for the parents as well. Have you found that to be true? Of course, I know that babies do communicate in their own way but not all parents pick up on clues and the wee ones will communicate in whatever 'language' they need to get what they want and if they do not get what they want/need they tend to shut down.

When I offer to hold a seat or some other such thing at DW it is an attempt to help and not cause problems. I loved seeing you but would not have wanted you to miss out on something on my account. I am easy to get along with, no matter what my children say. :rotfl:

I meant watching the signers at CP and other venues. I try not to watch folks when they talk in whatever method cause I can read lips. :banana:

I do not get the folks who get mad at families with children who leave the cue, leaving a family member behind to hold their place, to take wee ones to ummmm, 'wee'.:lmao: I do not even mind when they do so to give the kids a bit of run around time. Sure beats everyone having to suffer with children who are cranky and wound up. People forget that they were once children themselves even if they are not lucky enough to have any themselves. :hug:

My bil, and others, do not GET that I do not need someone to go to DW with me because I know so many folks down there and am apt to meet even more. If only I could find someone to help me with the drive down and back I would be a happy woman. :thumbsup2

Is your mil already for her Friday party? Are you? I will be sending special Pixie Dust that day for it to go well and that she recuperate quickly so she can lead you on a merry chase next trip. :love:

More rain expected today, just what we do NOT need. SG

I am so ANGRY!!!:furious:

My internet has been really bad lately, booting me several times a day,
and then yesterday, it worked ALL day,
UNTIL...
I had JUST started working on an update,
actually had it 2/3 of the way DONE,
was just trying to get some pics loaded onto Photobucket,
when SHAZAAM...

NO INTERNET!!!

You probably heard me yell "NOOOOOOOOOOO!"
as the windows of internet closed on me.

I can never get all those witty words back again.
Sigh.

Alas, I will try my best, but it will have to wait until tomorrow.
:(
Is THAT what that noise was!!!!

How frustrating!!!!! I use Google Docs to type up my Trip Report, it saves itself, and I can work on it from any computer.

Are you running amuk on Sarah's TR?
AMUK !!!!!AMUK !!!!!AMUK !!!!!!
woohoo.gif

She has to have something to do when she's not screeching down my street, beeping the horn at me.
:lmao:

Just Kidding T! Love ya, mean it!

Update coming up, while I am waiting for our burgers to cook....

Hey, I actually got stopped by the cops ::cop: the other day for driving slowly!

This flag must date to WWII, and therefore be a prop for Pearl Harbor.
How can I tell?
Count the stars.

IM000798.jpg

We haven't been on the back lot tour in awhile. I guess we should do it again sometime.

You are too smart figuring out that flag is form WWII!!! :thumbsup2
I thought about counting the stars like you said, but I got dizzy and started seeing stars, so I stopped....:lmao:

I'm working on an update. Just got a new one up on my food report (link below).

Missed replying to these, so:

MoM, I am curious about something. I have seen and read about teaching babies sign language and thought it an interesting concept. I always tell my small grandchildren, and older ones, when needed, that they need to express their thoughts with words and not throw fits. I am thinking that if a baby could communicate they would not be so frustrated and it would be good for the parents as well. Have you found that to be true? Of course, I know that babies do communicate in their own way but not all parents pick up on clues and the wee ones will communicate in whatever 'language' they need to get what they want and if they do not get what they want/need they tend to shut down.

Still giggling over you calling me "Momofthemasses",
which, depending where you put the space,
after the first e, or after the third m,
means something totally different. LOL

I really do think it helps. It gives them a chance to express some things earlier rather than later.
We don't do too many signs, and I think the more you do, the more it would help.

How frustrating!!!!! I use Google Docs to type up my Trip Report, it saves itself, and I can work on it from any computer.

I'll have to try that. Thanks!

AMUK !!!!!AMUK !!!!!AMUK !!!!!!
woohoo.gif

:rotfl:

Like I said, trying to do an update. Forgot I left everyone hanging with our MGM tour. LOL

In the mean time, you welcome to check out my food report. popcorn::

Just checking in snce I've been gone a few months!! had to see where you were!!! Well I'm on the same day! Wed Sep 19th 3rd day of our trip, but we've just eaten lunch soooooo I guess you are a little ahead but Hey this gives me hope!!!!:goodvibes

Love your reports so far! TGMR was the very first ride we rode at WDW!!! We loved it and I want to go baaaaaaaaaaaaaaacccckkkkkkk!!

Yes I was whining and I'm not ashamed!! i can whine I'm the Mom the kids aren't allowed!!!! :angel:

:goodvibes I can't believe you've been working on this for almost 10 months and I'm just finding it! I love it and I'm loving living vicariously through your family (only child here :rolleyes: )

Just checking in snce I've been gone a few months!! had to see where you were!!! Well I'm on the same day! Wed Sep 19th 3rd day of our trip, but we've just eaten lunch soooooo I guess you are a little ahead but Hey this gives me hope!!!!:goodvibes

Love your reports so far! TGMR was the very first ride we rode at WDW!!! We loved it and I want to go baaaaaaaaaaaaaaacccckkkkkkk!!

Yes I was whining and I'm not ashamed!! i can whine I'm the Mom the kids aren't allowed!!!! :angel:

Yeah, it makes me feel better that other Fall 2007 travellers haven't finished their reports yet.
I only hope that if we go back in Fall of 2009 that I have it done by then. LOL

:goodvibes I can't believe you've been working on this for almost 10 months and I'm just finding it! I love it and I'm loving living vicariously through your family (only child here :rolleyes: )

Welcome! You can just jump in the 15 passenger with us, we probably wouldn't notice. LOL
I've been working on my Food Report, so this is next up. Hopefully in the next few days.
I have a lot of pics, and I have been trying to upload them first, so I'm not trying to do that and type at the same time.

Thanks for reading!

WE WANT AN UPDATE! WE WANT AN UPDATE! WE WANT AN UPDATE! After reading the food update I had hoped to find one here too, but you did say you're working on one so maybe sometime this weekend it will be up??? Don't feel rushed though....:rolleyes1

~Beka~

MOM (which is my shorthand for Mom of MASSES)

I am shocked that I did not realize the double meaning of the nickname I have given you. I would NEVER think of the second version of YOUR family. Never met nicer folks. :love:

I find the signing fascinating. I am the kind who holds new babies, usually my grandkids, and looks at them and studies them to see WHO they are. I firmly believe that the core of who we are is there before birth and it is a parents/grandparents job to bring that out to their best advantage. I do not think you can change basics, just tweak a bit. I have managed to convince the children in my life that bad language and fits are not proper and you need to communicate with words instead. No matter how reasonable (never seen a reasonable one yet) request it will not be granted when throwing a fit with this grandma. I am a tough old lady.:lmao: I am very good at giving my kids alternative words for the ruder versions though. ;)

Hope you are having a great day, SG

HI EVERYONE! WE ARE GOING BACK TO POP SEPT. 3-10TH WITH FREE DINING!!
SORRY I HAVE NOT POSTED IN A LONG TIME!!!
I SEE EVERYONE IS DOING GOOD AND GOING STRONG WITH ALL YOUR POST!!
HOPE EVERYONE HAS A WONDERFUL SUN.
JUST WANTED TO SAY HI TO YOU ALL!!
KATHY:flower3:

Yahhhhhhhhhhhhh just finished reading the whole trip report so far!!!!!I am loving it and having some good laughs along the way!!!
Ok so gonna ask when is the next update coming??!!!:)

WE WANT AN UPDATE! WE WANT AN UPDATE! WE WANT AN UPDATE! After reading the food update I had hoped to find one here too, but you did say you're working on one so maybe sometime this weekend it will be up??? Don't feel rushed though....:rolleyes1

~Beka~

This report requires a little more brain power, picture organization, and the assistance of DisneyGirl, so it doesn't get worked on as often.
Daddy and the boys are going camping tonight, so maybe we can work on it then!

MOM (which is my shorthand for Mom of MASSES)

I am shocked that I did not realize the double meaning of the nickname I have given you. I would NEVER think of the second version of YOUR family. Never met nicer folks. :love:

Hope you are having a great day, SG

LOL I KNEW you didn't mean the bad one. Giggle.

I just am easily amused by punctuation. Have you ever read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"?

HI EVERYONE! WE ARE GOING BACK TO POP SEPT. 3-10TH WITH FREE DINING!!
SORRY I HAVE NOT POSTED IN A LONG TIME!!!
I SEE EVERYONE IS DOING GOOD AND GOING STRONG WITH ALL YOUR POST!!
HOPE EVERYONE HAS A WONDERFUL SUN.
JUST WANTED TO SAY HI TO YOU ALL!!
KATHY:flower3:

That sounds great! I bet you are having fun planning. Eat all that good WDW food for me! :cool1:

Yahhhhhhhhhhhhh just finished reading the whole trip report so far!!!!!I am loving it and having some good laughs along the way!!!
Ok so gonna ask when is the next update coming??!!!:)

The pressure....aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh......

LOL

Glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for reading everyone!

I just found your report and just finished reading it all. :worship: to you for having and raising 7 children. You must have a lot of patience. I'm going to be lucky if I can stand 2 kids...:rotfl:
DH and I were at WDW for free dining on Sept 22-29. We did not spend much time at MGM...it was way too hot the day we were there and DH was melting from the heat and was going to have a meltdown if we did not leave and we never did make it back...it didn;t make too much of an impression with him. Probably when we take our future kids there will be more stuff for us to do when we go. We spent a lot of time in the world showcase in EPCot. Wonder why??:confused3

I just found your report and just finished reading it all. :worship: to you for having and raising 7 children. You must have a lot of patience. I'm going to be lucky if I can stand 2 kids...:rotfl:
DH and I were at WDW for free dining on Sept 22-29. We did not spend much time at MGM...it was way too hot the day we were there and DH was melting from the heat and was going to have a meltdown if we did not leave and we never did make it back...it didn;t make too much of an impression with him. Probably when we take our future kids there will be more stuff for us to do when we go. We spent a lot of time in the world showcase in EPCot. Wonder why??:confused3

Thanks!
God has really blessed us!

If in my life I can dispell one myth,
it's that you have to be a special kind of person
to raise a larger number of children.

You don't.

Children are difficult, no matter how many you raise.

[And funny how nobody looks at people
raising just one or two and says
"Wow, you must have no patience at all! LOL ]

But they are also huge blessings, and more just bring more love.

The first two are the hardest thing you will ever do.
If you quit then, you miss out on the best part.
Things get so much easier when there are more of you to keep baby happy! :grouphug:

Besides, as long as they just come 1 or 2 at a time,
you just learn as you go.
Were I the mom of septuplets,
well, then, I think there has to be a special award for THAT! LOL

It looks like you will be getting some of the love soon! LOL
Babies are the best!

We love the Epcot World Showcase too.
We just never seem to hit the best weather to experience it.

Thanks for reading!

The Hicks meet a Mermaid, and a Beast, AND
Have You Seen that Old Run Down Hotel? Disney Should Know Better!
MGM/DHS Park Day, Sept. 19, 2007

When we last left the Hicks they had a “crash” course in sign language
and had narrowly avoided disaster in Catastrophe Canyon.

Ok, so bear with me, this part is a little fuzzy for some reason.

Maybe I was just too shook up from the earthquake and flood.
:rolleyes1

Upon exiting the Back Lot tour,
we spent a mere moment looking at the movie prop displays,
but there were more exciting things to do, somewhere out in the park,
so we continued on our way.

The Hicks were planning on attending the next showing of
Beauty and the Beast that they could.
Luckily, that was not for a little while.

We weren’t concerned about seeing the parade,
so we had no need to figure that into our plans.

We carefully avoided the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground:
1) Because when it’s brutally hot outside, it’s brutally hot inside the playground

2) We didn’t want the kids to get distracted–things to do, people to see

3) This place gives John and I the hives,
because it is REALLY hard to keep track of seven kids all at once.

For some reason, we avoided going past the big hat,
so that put us roughly in the area of Echo Lake.

DisneyGirl and I have mulled this over,
and feel that we made a last minute attempt to see the Indiana Jones show,
only to find it already in progress.

[Notes, darn it. :sad2:
Stop trying to enjoy the sights
and you children’s glowing faces
and start taking notes!!!!]

I vaguely remember being back near the Hollywood and Vine at some point,
because we took this picture of Mary Poppins near there.

IM000924.jpg

DisneyGirl claims that Mary Poppins was no where near H&V.
But since it’s my trip report, I get to decide where Mary Poppins is/was.

We decided that since we had some time before B&B would start,
and we were headed (roughly) in that direction,
that we should see when the next showing of Little Mermaid would be.

I think.

:confused3

Suffice it to say, we had time to visit the Mermaid, so visit the Mermaid we did.

IM000029b.jpg

Everyone loved the show, especially Bionic SIL,
because as we have said before,
Ariel is her favorite princess.

Let me just tell you one other observation I have made about this show.
There is a mist of water that sprays down on the audience during the show.
When we visited in February, we didn’t get wet from this.
When we visited in August and Sept., we did.
I think they crank the thing up to super soaker when it’s hot out.
Not that we were complaining.
It was really refreshing.
But it was just a tad bit surprising the first time it happened.

I really am impressed by the talent of Disney performers.
Day after day, multiple shows a day, and they just always give it 100%.
This is especially true of Beauty and the Beast, but more on that later.

Having refreshed ourselves “Under the Sea,”
we realized we still had time to spare before the show,
so we headed toward that end of town to see what the wait time for Tower of Terror would be.
We have never had the chance to ride this ride before this trip.
It didn’t exist on our honeymoon.
Most of the kids have been too small until now.
The ones that weren’t too small refused to ride it.
John and I didn’t want to take turns going alone.

This trip, we had a bunch of adventurous relatives along,
the kids were easier to dupe, I mean convince, into it,
and Mom was willing to sit with the littles.

I felt guilty that Mom was always sitting alone with the kids,
so I decided to sit this out with her.

We found a nice shady spot next to the entrance of Rockin’ Roller Coaster,
which was closed at the time.
What we didn’t know, was that it was a smoking section.
:eek:

But, it was so convenient and shady, we decided to stay.
Besides, we didn’t want John and everyone to have to hunt for us.

It was really hot sitting there,
but we passed the time wondering
if that was our family’s screams that we were hearing from the Tower.
I believe we also passed the time making multiple trips to the restroom
that was conveniently located across the street.

Have I mentioned that we spent a lot of time in Disney bathrooms???

Now, let me take a moment, to share with you the humor that is...
The Chef.

The Chef, understanding that the Disboards have acronyms for EVERYTHING,
was reading over my shoulder one day and said “What’s TOT?”
“Tower Of Terror,” I replied.

He thought a moment and said

“They should have called it:
Totally Awesome Terrifying Elevator Ride - Tower of Terror.”

Me: “Why?!?”

Chef: “Then it would be TATER-TOT!”

If that boy could harness that brain power
for something significant...the world would be a better place!

It wasn't too long before our group came tromping up,
smiles PLASTERED on their faces
:jumping1:

And then John said those fateful words.

"There's practically NO wait.
You need to come on Tower of Terror with me."

:scared1:

Next up: The Hicks Finally meet that Beast, AND...
AND...Sarah Screams like a little girl.

Yippee! An update! I also scream quite a lot during TOT. It's the only ride in all of WDW that I am very apprehensive to ride. Although I always end up on it and want to go again. :confused3 Keep the TR coming! :thumbsup2

~Beka~

Yahhhhhhhhhhhhhh an update I think I will bypass TOT this being our first trip and all!!!ell that's my excuse and I am sticking to it!!!;)
I am also looking forward to fitting in as much as we can so that can be excuse number 2!
Looking forward to more updates!:)
kt

Yippee! An update! I also scream quite a lot during TOT. It's the only ride in all of WDW that I am very apprehensive to ride. Although I always end up on it and want to go again. :confused3 Keep the TR coming! :thumbsup2

~Beka~

Exactly!

Yahhhhhhhhhhhhhh an update I think I will bypass TOT this being our first trip and all!!!ell that's my excuse and I am sticking to it!!!;)
I am also looking forward to fitting in as much as we can so that can be excuse number 2!
Looking forward to more updates!:)
kt

It's really cool, and not as scary as roller coasters.
Ok, it is scary, but not in the same way as roller coasters!

Another update coming up!

The Hicks Finally meet that Beast, AND...
AND...Sarah Screams like a little girl.
MGM Park Day, Sept. 19, 2007

So when we last left the Hicks,
Sarah and Mom had been watching several of the small children
while the rest of the crew enjoyed the delights that are
the Hollywood Tower Hotel.

Though, personally, I think they’ve let the place get a little run down. :rotfl:

The adventurous Hicks had gotten through the Tower of Terror ride,
and John had just informed me that I was about to ride it myself,
and he wasn’t taking no for an answer.

And, ya know, I have never been able to say no to this man.

In fact, when we first started dating,
I tried NOT to date him,
because I had decided I was through with dating.

I wanted to meet a nice guy and get married.

And I thought he was nice,
but I wasn’t sure he was the marrying kind.

I told him “This won’t work out. We’re not right for each other.”

And he batted his gorgeous gray eyes at me and said “You’re wrong.”

:cool2:

To which I replied giddily, “Ok.” :lovestruc

And that was 19 years ago this July.

:cloud9:

So, almost 20 years later,
he was talking me into going on the Tower of Terror.

The ride really was a walk-on,
which was quite shocking
considering there were plenty of people in the park.
Perhaps they had all run down and gotten on it at rope drop???

Everyone always talks about the theming of this ride,
and I have to agree, it is pretty cool.
We didn’t really get a chance to check out the queue too much,
but you can’t help but notice all the work that went into it
as you are making your way to the elevators.

I knew all about the drops,
and had seen a show that told how they made the rolling elevators,
but I wasn’t really prepared for my elevator to roll out of
the first elevator shaft and down the hall.

May I just say, this part is REALLY cool!
It actually goes too fast.
I could have rolled around the hotel a bit more.
But, the hotel had other ideas.

I don’t remember the actual amount of drops,
but I do remember hearing my own voice,
and being unable to stop squealing.

When we had ridden Space Mtn earlier in the week,
DisneyGirl was merciless in teasing me about screaming on that ride.
I can’t help it.
It’s not because I’m scared,
it’s just sort of an uncontrollable reaction to being hurdled through space.
:confused3

I also tend to scream when having my babies.
When Danger Boy was born, I had back labor.
I also had an epidural.

Until it wore off.

At that point, having been pain free for a few hours,
I was not tolerating the pain very well,
and was being VERY vocal about it.

The hospital had little hallways that connected pairs of rooms,
in which they stored emergency equipment.

The dad from the connecting room poked his head into our room
and said “Would you mind keeping it down in here?
My wife is in labor and the noise is bothering her.”

I believe every eye in the room turned and looked at this man in amazement.

The nurse walked over, and said “How ‘bout I shut this door.”
Then, she looked at the rest of us and said
“What does he think this, the Ritz-Carlton?”

She was my hero,
because I have heard of nurses yelling at patients for screaming,
but she took my side.

So, now you see, it was beyond my control to scream on the Tower of Terror.

May I just say, this is now one of my FAVORITE rides!
I like it better than roller coasters. It’s just a different sensation.
I like floating up out of my seat. Makes me feel skinnier. LOL

I didn't hear until after the trip
the story of Princess K's first (and last) TOT ride.

Whilst I was sitting in the shade, visiting with Mom,
I had sent my poor 4.5 yo girl to ride the TOT
with all the adventurous folks.
The Chef, DangerBoy and The Inquisitor were all too chicken,
but Princess K was game. :lmao:

She merrily skipped and hopped all the way through the line,
entered the elevator willingly,
watched wide-eyed as they rolled through the halls,
then just before they were entering the drop sequence,
K looks at Daddy with big suspicious eyes and says,
"This goes down, doesn't it?"

:scared1:

and then it was "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

Needless to say, K survived,
but probably won't be blindly going on any rides any time soon.

So, ride over, we joined up with the group
who had apparently decided to eat some popcorn and ice cream.
This entire trip, Grandma kept wanting to buy a treat for the kids,
with cash,
forgetting we had all those snack credits to spend.

Not to mention,
a Beauty and the Beast show was just about to start.
Everyone wolfed down their food,
while John and I had a discussion about whether B & B
was required attendance for him and the boys.
Well...no. What did you have in mind???

John and the boys, minus The Inquisitor,
all decided that they would rather go see
the Lights, Motor, Action Stunt Show.
Apparently John is not as much a fan of musical theater as I thought he was.
:rotfl2:

There was no way we’d all get to see it,
as it didn’t start to around the time B & B was ending,
but I was ok with the four of them branching off.

We discussed what else we wanted to do that day,
and we all agreed that while Indiana Jones Show was a must,
that we were all too beat to wait around for Fantasmic.
Well, except for Stitch Jr.,
who was sorely disappointed all week that he missed it.
How he knew what it was, I have no idea,
but he really wanted to see it.

The boys took off,
and we headed into the Theater of the Stars
(well, I thought that’s what it was called,
but now I can’t find it on the map as being that.)

The warm-up act is one of our favorite attractions at WDW. I won’t give away their shtick, but they are great.

IMG_0304.jpg

They don’t perform on Mondays, I think,
so we hadn’t seen them on our last trip.
And we were really happy to see them again.

And on to the main show....

May I just say, I could watch this show multiple times on a trip,
if John would go for it.
I LOVE the music of Beauty and the Beast.
It gives me goose bumps every time.
These performers give a Broadway quality show,
although abbreviated, multiple times a day.

Here’s a few pics of the action:

These were taken either by DisneyGirl or Poch Jr.

IM000829.jpg

IM000834.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0311-1.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

We left the show completely satisfied with our Disney performance experience.

Next up: Roger’s brother and a Shao Lin Stunt Show Encounter...

:banana: :banana: :banana:

I check in with your trip report and find 2 fantastic updates!!!

I took notes, so here yah go:

Good call avoiding the parade! It was one of the poorest excuses for a "parade" that I'd ever seen!

I didn't know Mary Poppins was ever at MGM! I was laughed at by a CM when I asked if she was ever there!

Don't you know that even if you don't remember what happened on your trip, you have to state it as fact!? I have learned to do this on my non- note taking days! I also base my facts on pictures!

How come the smokers always get the nice, shady spots?

TATER-TOT!! :rotfl: :lmao:

Oh, I love your condensed version of why you married John!!!

I can't believe how inconsiderate you were, making noise during labor!

"This goes down, doesn't it?" :rotfl: The poor girl!

I love the Beauty and the Beast show, too! :love:

Okay, now I know a certain sister with a "best version" trip report that hasn't heard from you for quite a few installments. :rolleyes1

4.5 and going on TOT woooooooo what a little dare devil!!!!
I am looking forward to the B&B show too,another to add to my long list of to do's!
I have a feeling the grandparents we are taking with us will want to pay cash for treats even though we are on the Delux Dining Plan...oh well I guess I will let him.
Looking forward to reading more adventures...
:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!