Here now and was bumped out of BW View

I love the boardwalk view but booked garden view for a trip with date changes. Although I missed the boardwalk view, I didn't think the pool view I got was bad. I would have been happy with free dining, even if you are only using quick service. You have to eat somewhere, unless you planned to go offsite.

Boardwalk is a favorite of ours regardless of view. I'd be happy with the free dining, but that's just me.

We were more than happy with the free dining. I just prefer the view. We did scramble and get a few reservations. Good thing DS is better today but not really hungry. :). I just feel the communication was terrible. We never asked for the dining they offered and I do believe it's very generous. I just miss the view.

We purchased at BWV for the view and we book our vacations 11 months in advance. If they were to change my view for our upcoming May vacation I would be asking for all my points back. Totally unacceptable to find out upon check in.

We were more than happy with the free dining. I just prefer the view. We did scramble and get a few reservations. Good thing DS is better today but not really hungry. :). I just feel the communication was terrible. We never asked for the dining they offered and I do believe it's very generous. I just miss the view.
we only book BW view, & can understand your initial disappointment - especially, with all the months of planning only to be informed at check-in, & then your DS getting sick. I'm sure everything felt a bit out of whack.
now that the initial disappointment (hopefully) has faded a bit: WOW!! free dining - that's fantastic!! :thumbsup2 maybe try some new restaurants, and revisit old favorites, test out the new BW restaurant, enjoy the slower pace (and more likelihood of reservations) at different resort eateries & DTD.
with a bit of time, this disappointment will hopefully start to feel like a fun adventure!!! :yay: many wonderful memories are of the special things we always do at WDW, but there many more memorable times when we did something different - hope you have a wonderfully unusual vacation (with no more unwelcome surprises ;) )!!

We also only book BW view. We tend to be in our room more than most people. I would be SO disappointed if I were told at checkin that we would be bumped. But I hope that I have lived long enough to roll with the punches and enjoy the free dining. I hope that every effort is being made to minimize these bumps and to notify in advance those affected. And I hope the rehab does not continue to run behind schedule because that is sure to make a mess of reservations!

That is disappointing to hear. This once happened to a friend of mine who is also a DVC member while staying at AKV and not only did she get her meals included they also gave her one free tour.

See? That's kinda my thing. A request is one thing, but a category is a category. You paid for that.
I understand disappointment but things happen that are beyond DVC's control as well as people make mistakes. The fact it's a booking category does not rise to the level of guarantee in my book.

It's all good, Dean. You and I will just have to agree to disagree on that one to the extent that "things do happen," but they should be compensated for accordingly when they do.

I do have a question, this isn't meant to incite anything. It is a very sincere question.

I wonder if anybody got BW View rooms that day. I'm assuming all BW View rooms were "in-service." If that's not the case, who got to decide who got one and who didn't and what methodology did they use to make the decisions?

Wilson, totally agree. When I book a B/W view category, I expect a B/W view (and will admit that not all B/W views are created equal and you can't always get lucky). I would not use that same amount of points for a garden/pool view because I do not like the garden/pool view. If I can't get B/W view, I prefer standard view. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will finish this up because we will be there soon. If they move us to garden view, I would instead ask for standard and for the points difference to be put back into my account with no restrictions. Would gladly accept free dining....hopefully it's the Deluxe Dining??? I could do some serious damage to my waistline, though.

Luv2Trav.....I sincerely hope you and your family are having better days....hope your kiddo is feeling better.

I do have a question, this isn't meant to incite anything. It is a very sincere question.

I wonder if anybody got BW View rooms that day. I'm assuming all BW View rooms were "in-service." If that's not the case, who got to decide who got one and who didn't and what methodology did they use to make the decisions?

I thought I read somewhere that Crest of the Wave was being worked on this week. I would imagine they only do a floor at a time? If you are already staying there, do they make you move? Sure am glad I'm not the person that has to figure it all out.

You are so lucky to be at the Boardwalk! I know your DS will feel better soon and you will all have a wonderful time.

Just saying if I was there and had BW view, I would switch with you in a heart beat, for the comp you got. There are times that things get over booked or changed and most companies just say sorry and see if you except this. Think about how many people get bumped from airlines. If this had happened instead of a simple room change, you could have been out a lot more then a view, with little comp.
This is where I believe Disney has gone above, sometimes they move you to a bigger room, if available, but this time they gave free dining. That is not a cheap comp, and I am sure if you asked at the time, they might have been able to get a few ADRs for you as well.
Grab some take out with your free food, head down to the BW grab a seat and enjoy the view from there.

It's all good, Dean. You and I will just have to agree to disagree on that one to the extent that "things do happen," but they should be compensated for accordingly when they do.
It's the nature of timeshares, things happen. The problem with compensation is that in this type of situation it comes from the members. It's not that no compensation is reasonable but that FD was overboard in this situation.

I'm sure it depends on when you got there and when you were checking out (if they needed your room empty by a certain date). If you refused the comp, they may find someone else to bump if they hadn't checked in yet. I suspect they start trying to bump people early in the day in case some people demand additional compensation.

yikes! we have a BW view for 6 nights startign on april 21. I will say that the village green section , which is a preferred view (same amount of points as BW view) is nice too. but they are mostly studios.
getting back points wouldn't work for us, as we are renting points from friends. and it wouldn't do them any good to get the points back either, that is why they are renting them to us. they might expire and they can't use them anyway.

Just saying if I was there and had BW view, I would switch with you in a heart beat, for the comp you got. There are times that things get over booked or changed and most companies just say sorry and see if you except this. Think about how many people get bumped from airlines. If this had happened instead of a simple room change, you could have been out a lot more then a view, with little comp.
This is where I believe Disney has gone above, sometimes they move you to a bigger room, if available, but this time they gave free dining. That is not a cheap comp, and I am sure if you asked at the time, they might have been able to get a few ADRs for you as well.
Grab some take out with your free food, head down to the BW grab a seat and enjoy the view from there.

Umm, there are federal laws regulating the compensation for involuntary denied boarding that pay a lot of money. A booking category is just that, a separate room type that you are purchasing, at a different price level. There is a finite number of those available rooms, so selling more that what is available is a risk that is taken by the company. Rooms taken out of inventory should be communicated with the customer, so that they have the CHOICE to accept or make other arrangements...hence airlines make opportunities for people to cancel or change with impeding weather situations.

When not given what was paid, the offer should be what is up to the customer of what is good enough. While some may think free dining is great...others don't need/want the free dining, so what good is it to offer someone a bottle of free expensive wine, when they don't drink alcohol? At a bare minimum, the difference in points should have been refunded without even asking between booking category and category given.

The son being ill, i hope he is better and that the vacation isn't a wash out. I would be totally bummed if that was something i planned for, paid for and was denied at the last second. People do a lot of planning...while you or i may plan for rides and restaurants, some people "plan" to just sit on the balcony and people watch..because thats what makes them happy. if you were denied your most looked forward to part of the vacation (which you planned and paid for to ensure that you got what you wanted), its a heartbreak situation that maybe free food doesn't do for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter