Here now and was bumped out of BW View

Umm, there are federal laws regulating the compensation for involuntary denied boarding that pay a lot of money. A booking category is just that, a separate room type that you are purchasing, at a different price level. There is a finite number of those available rooms, so selling more that what is available is a risk that is taken by the company. Rooms taken out of inventory should be communicated with the customer, so that they have the CHOICE to accept or make other arrangements...hence airlines make opportunities for people to cancel or change with impeding weather situations.

When not given what was paid, the offer should be what is up to the customer of what is good enough. While some may think free dining is great...others don't need/want the free dining, so what good is it to offer someone a bottle of free expensive wine, when they don't drink alcohol? At a bare minimum, the difference in points should have been refunded without even asking between booking category and category given.

The son being ill, i hope he is better and that the vacation isn't a wash out. I would be totally bummed if that was something i planned for, paid for and was denied at the last second. People do a lot of planning...while you or i may plan for rides and restaurants, some people "plan" to just sit on the balcony and people watch..because thats what makes them happy. if you were denied your most looked forward to part of the vacation (which you planned and paid for to ensure that you got what you wanted), its a heartbreak situation that maybe free food doesn't do for you.
I'm certain if the member protested the offer, Disney would try to find someone else willing to take it. If they were out of options, I'm certain they'd find an offer that was acceptable to the member. Remember that, unlike commercial hotels and airlines, DVC does not overbook. So this should be a very, very rare occurrence.

Umm, there are federal laws regulating the compensation for involuntary denied boarding that pay a lot of money. A booking category is just that, a separate room type that you are purchasing, at a different price level. There is a finite number of those available rooms, so selling more that what is available is a risk that is taken by the company. Rooms taken out of inventory should be communicated with the customer, so that they have the CHOICE to accept or make other arrangements...hence airlines make opportunities for people to cancel or change with impeding weather situations.

When not given what was paid, the offer should be what is up to the customer of what is good enough. While some may think free dining is great...others don't need/want the free dining, so what good is it to offer someone a bottle of free expensive wine, when they don't drink alcohol? At a bare minimum, the difference in points should have been refunded without even asking between booking category and category given.

The son being ill, i hope he is better and that the vacation isn't a wash out. I would be totally bummed if that was something i planned for, paid for and was denied at the last second. People do a lot of planning...while you or i may plan for rides and restaurants, some people "plan" to just sit on the balcony and people watch..because thats what makes them happy. if you were denied your most looked forward to part of the vacation (which you planned and paid for to ensure that you got what you wanted), its a heartbreak situation that maybe free food doesn't do for you.
Those rooms are not purchased as such and booking cat are not guaranteed. Any such governmental regulations would not apply to this situation.

At a bare minimum, the difference in points should have been refunded without even asking between booking category and category given.
I would be totally bummed if that was something i planned for, paid for and was denied at the last second. People do a lot of planning...while you or i may plan for rides and restaurants, some people "plan" to just sit on the balcony and people watch..because thats what makes them happy. if you were denied your most looked forward to part of the vacation (which you planned and paid for to ensure that you got what you wanted), its a heartbreak situation that maybe free food doesn't do for you.
As far as the points go I think that is part of the original poster's issue-they were bumped to garden/pool view which is "worth" the same # of DVC points as BW view but definitely NOT the same so there wouldn't have been a point difference to refund (unless they refunded the difference between standard view and the higher categories). I agree it would totally suck to be bumped especially if you wouldn't have stayed at BWV without the BW view or would have booked standard to conserve points-it would be nice if DVC would have offered either free dining or point reduction depending on the bumped guest preference-we all know they have developer points they have to hold onto for each resort so I would think they could use some of those to compensate for the rare situations like this

I think free dining is more than enough compensation. Where do you plan to eat? I just did a quick check for you and there are a ton of great places to eat dinner tonight with reservations available. Don't mean to be harsh but you are at WDW - make the best of it. A BWV or a GV is not a deal breaker situation. Hope on the free dining and have fun.

I suppose I should give up on the BW view waitlist I have for later this month.

I would be happy with the free dining.

I think free dining is more than enough compensation. Where do you plan to eat? I just did a quick check for you and there are a ton of great places to eat dinner tonight with reservations available. Don't mean to be harsh but you are at WDW - make the best of it. A BWV or a GV is not a deal breaker situation. Hope on the free dining and have fun.

It would be a deal breaker for me. And I wouldn't want free dining.

I would want what I booked.

And, I think it is offensive of you to say to someone that you don't mean to be harsh, make the best of it. It's not your vacation that has been impacted.

It's the nature of timeshares, things happen. The problem with compensation is that in this type of situation it comes from the members. It's not that no compensation is reasonable but that FD was overboard in this situation.

In this case it was in DVC's control, I checked in on the 25th and had a 3rd fl request and found out that all the 3rd floor BW view were taken out of service for renovation. My Guess is that the contractor did not get all the 5th floor BW units done and that is why there was a shortage. If the renovation contract was properly written then the extra cost should be on the contractor.

I ended up with a 2nd FL BW view over the clothes store. I have heard complaints about these units but I found it good , as it had a huge balcony to sit out on.

And since the post above responds, now I will also.

It may be fine with you and you may think it's fine for anybody else (which is what your post implies to me) but fortunately, you don't get to make that call for me. I get to decide what's just and right by me. I may not get it, but I still get to decide. As the above poster said and I said earlier in the thread, I could care less about free dining. Further, I'm sure that when I told them that (in a kind and professional manner), I would have likely been offered something else. At that time, I would have had to decide whether that was enough to satisfy my dissatisfaction.

I understand a lot of people would have just let it slide. I might have too. I don't know. I wasn't there. What I do know is that I paid for the room and booked and was promised it. I hate the word "entitled" 90% of the time, but in this case, yes; I was entitled to it, and I should get it.

Just my opinion.

In this case it was in DVC's control, I checked in on the 25th and had a 3rd fl request and found out that all the 3rd floor BW view were taken out of service for renovation. My Guess is that the contractor did not get all the 5th floor BW units done and that is why there was a shortage. If the renovation contract was properly written then the extra cost should be on the contractor.

I ended up with a 2nd FL BW view over the clothes store. I have heard complaints about these units but I found it good , as it had a huge balcony to sit out on.
We've had this basic discussion over the years related to pool and resort renovations. I know there are some out there that think everything should be planned and people notified before the 11 month window but that is unrealistic, IMO. Non of us know about the contract situation or similar. It is just as likely, if not more so, that the reservations were in place prior to the contract and this was planned in advance with them knowing there were more reservations than rooms. We know that was the case with two of the AKV issues from a few years ago. And we know they left purposefully left it up to the resort to handle the issue and they did it poorly. We also have had a similar issue the last BWV renovation where guests were moved away from BWV BW view, many to BCV.

And since the post above responds, now I will also.

It may be fine with you and you may think it's fine for anybody else (which is what your post implies to me) but fortunately, you don't get to make that call for me. I get to decide what's just and right by me. I may not get it, but I still get to decide. As the above poster said and I said earlier in the thread, I could care less about free dining. Further, I'm sure that when I told them that (in a kind and professional manner), I would have likely been offered something else. At that time, I would have had to decide whether that was enough to satisfy my dissatisfaction.

I understand a lot of people would have just let it slide. I might have too. I don't know. I wasn't there. What I do know is that I paid for the room and booked and was promised it. I hate the word "entitled" 90% of the time, but in this case, yes; I was entitled to it, and I should get it.

Just my opinion.
Personally I don't feel it's my place to tell anyone what they should or should not be happy with in this situation. However, I feel very comfortable in having an opinion of what DVC should offer. In this case it's the difference between the BWV and standard view points, roughly 24 points for a studio or the financial equivalent thereof at around $10 pp. I realize that not everyone will be happy with that solution and others would be thrilled, that would be their choice either way. IMO Disney often gives too much to the squeaky wheel but worse than that they are inconsistent in such matters.

Requests are a different story. I've always requested top floor with boardwalk view and only got it once in 10 years. And that was the 1 bedroom that is really Village Green. I also request close to elevator and usually end up down by Jellyrolls. I have asked if anything else was available (always no) but I've never complained, requests are not guaranteed.

Requests are a different story. I've always requested top floor with boardwalk view and only got it once in 10 years. And that was the 1 bedroom that is really Village Green. I also request close to elevator and usually end up down by Jellyrolls. I have asked if anything else was available (always no) but I've never complained, requests are not guaranteed.
I think that's one of the misunderstandings people have here. Booking categories are not contractual and are not necessarily guaranteed either. I know many are looking at them as if they were but in reality they are not just like a dedicated or lockoff isn't guaranteed. Some people have even shown up and didn't have a room at that resort at all. I remember one person posting they were told that their reservation had been transferred to OKW (from BCV) because they were overbooked and they were the odd person out because they didn't own there so they were placed in their home resort. This type of situation is one of several reasons that I believe DVC should not have done away with the request priority system. With that in place the issue of who was getting bumped was set by their booking timing rather than being somewhat arbitrary.

I think that's one of the misunderstandings people have here. Booking categories are not contractual and are not necessarily guaranteed either. I know many are looking at them as if they were but in reality they are not just like a dedicated or lockoff isn't guaranteed. Some people have even shown up and didn't have a room at that resort at all. I remember one person posting they were told that their reservation had been transferred to OKW (from BCV) because they were overbooked and they were the odd person out because they didn't own there so they were placed in their home resort. This type of situation is one of several reasons that I believe DVC should not have done away with the request priority system. With that in place the issue of who was getting bumped was set by their booking timing rather than being somewhat arbitrary.

I agree with the priority system. One of the reasons I bought BWV instead of OKW in 1999 was because I was told requests were filled by reservation date and I would have a good chance of getting the boardwalk view if I booked at 11 months (this was before boardwalk view was a separate category). My first reservation I was given a room over the quiet pool, very disappointing. After that, I booked standard view for less points rather than gamble. When boardwalk view became a category, I've always booked it, it brings back that 11 month priority being a factor. I would be disappointed if I showed up and didn't get it but in the case of a renovation, stuff happens. Like you said, only the member can say what they feel is adequate compensation and negotiate. I would be happy with free dining for everyone in the room. Depending on the number of people, that would be worth more than the difference in points from standard view. I don't think a refund of all the points is reasonable.

We are home now and did make the best of it and found dining reservations. Which was difficult since both of my DS's had the stomach flu 2 days from each other (BW view would have made it more tolerable since we were stuck in the room for those 2 days) but that is not Disney's fault. I was VERY disappointed because I wanted BW view or I would have chosen another resort is all. I was more than happy with the free dining. I was just making a point of the poor communication and informing us once we checked in. They needed to inform us before arriving. The reason they provided to us was the renovation going on.

Last edited:
luv2trav, I totally sympathize with your situation. not everyone is enamored with the dining plan. even tho it isn't disn'ey's "fault" that your sons had the flu, it still makes the dining plan that much less desirable.

I for one am glad you posted. these are things people should know about. we are preparing ourselves mentally for the possibility, since we have a BW view end of april.

now I don't know what to hope for! because I have seen pictures of the refurbished studios and I relaly hate it no permanent table, just one that folds up and down from the murphy bed . ugh. guess I am hoping for a bw view studio that hasn't been refurbished yet. I doubt that will happen..

anyway, just throwing my support your way. don't let anyone make you feel bad for being disappointed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter