help with my two dogs....

vivilasvegas

Earning My Ears<br><font color=green>When confused
I have two dogs, one is almost 9, the other is 5. They've gotten along all the time. (had both since puppies)

Last night, I was on the computer when I heard the younger do a low growl by a food bowl. ( they each have different ones, but we had recently moved the older dog's to give her more room, he was at her bowl). My older dog was trying to push him away from the food I'm guessing, and then all of a sudden I hear all this bark like they are fighting. I get up and yell the younger dogs name right away, and he ran straight into his hiding spot, and sat there looking upset. My older dog was fine and eating then playing. Okay.....

so then after a while, I noticed she has a bit of dried blood on the tip of her ear.(she has floppy ears) Now, I don't know if my younger dog meant to bite her, or if it was an accident. They playfight all the time, and he's bigger than her. It's a tiny cut, and the vet said she'd be fine without me coming in.

So the rest of the night, he kept sniffing her and trying to lay down next to her. He followed her all over the place! No barking or growling, she just ignored him like she always does. And then they slept in the same room all night long.

Do you think I should be keeping them separated when no one is home with them? Or do you think it was a one time deal? He knew he was bad, because he kept trying to come over and lick my hand or cuddle.

I'm upset.

Aww, that's too bad. It could have been a one time thing or it could be that the younger dog is trying to take over as "top dog". Either way, I would be cautious around food since this seems to be where the problem lies currently. No unsupervised meals or snacks. Correct the younger dog if he even has the *thought* about being aggressive toward the older dog. Lots of positive reinforcement if all goes well. Hopefully, it won't be a bigger problem if you nip it in the bud. It really sounds to me like the younger dog is just being pushy (which is correctable) but the other thought I had is could there be anything going on with the younger dog healthwise, maybe not feeling well, irritable, etc (though this I doubt since he was over by the other dog later on)?

I lost an elderly brother/sister pair recently and in the 12 years they were together I have to say there was never any aggression between them except once in a while outside when the female tried to take the male's beloved frisbee in the middle of a game, LOL. Perhaps it was because they were the same age, I don't know. :confused3 If you think of canine behavior in the wild, it would be normal for a younger dog to take over the "pack" when he senses the older dog is getting frail. However, in a domestic situation, the younger dog has to learn this is not ok. Just be careful, and scratches to your older dog.

vivilasvegas said:
I have two dogs, one is almost 9, the other is 5. They've gotten along all the time. (had both since puppies)

Last night, I was on the computer when I heard the younger do a low growl by a food bowl. ( they each have different ones, but we had recently moved the older dog's to give her more room, he was at her bowl). My older dog was trying to push him away from the food I'm guessing, and then all of a sudden I hear all this bark like they are fighting. I get up and yell the younger dogs name right away, and he ran straight into his hiding spot, and sat there looking upset. My older dog was fine and eating then playing. Okay.....

so then after a while, I noticed she has a bit of dried blood on the tip of her ear.(she has floppy ears) Now, I don't know if my younger dog meant to bite her, or if it was an accident. They playfight all the time, and he's bigger than her. It's a tiny cut, and the vet said she'd be fine without me coming in.

So the rest of the night, he kept sniffing her and trying to lay down next to her. He followed her all over the place! No barking or growling, she just ignored him like she always does. And then they slept in the same room all night long.

Do you think I should be keeping them separated when no one is home with them? Or do you think it was a one time deal? He knew he was bad, because he kept trying to come over and lick my hand or cuddle.

I'm upset.

No, don't do anything; they just had a tiff and they're working it out, it's just what dogs do occasionally. My younger one has to be occasionally reminded by my older one who's the boss. She 'forgets', I think, on purpose!

Could it have been that the older dog is confused about the new bowl location, or that she wants her bowls back where it was? The younger dog may be worried that the older dog is infringing on his space, his bowl, and is worried that he won't get enough to eat if the older dog is there eating it. I think it would be normal to defend his own bowl.

Sounds liek a little doggie tiff. I'd probaly casually "supervise" feeding time for a few days, and if there's any gorwling just nip it in the bud, but it doesn't sound liek anythign too serious.

I have an 11 year old dog, and my best friend has a 4 year old dog that she just got a few months ago. They get along great for the most part, but if there is food involved, every once in a while there will be a growling. We just yell "hey" and it stops and they behave nice and share. ;)

LoveWDW said:
Could it have been that the older dog is confused about the new bowl location, or that she wants her bowls back where it was? The younger dog may be worried that the older dog is infringing on his space, his bowl, and is worried that he won't get enough to eat if the older dog is there eating it. I think it would be normal to defend his own bowl.

No, he was at her bowl! I don't know what he was doing, I think he thought she was done eating, and went to finish her food. That's when she came back over by the bowl!

From now on, I'll be sitting and watching them during feeding times. It's never been a problem before, so I didn't pay much attention.

I'm just worried that they will fight all the time now. :guilty:

They shouldn't start fighting all the time.

Dogs are very pack oriented, and within the pack there's a hierarchy-somebody is top dog, and somebody is low man on the totem pole. Fighting only occurs when one dog is aiming to be higher in the pack. Dogs will 'test' their position in the pack every now and then.

You, as the human, are the 'top dog', and you can definitely tell them to knock it off like the other poster suggested, they'll listen because you're the boss.

Seriously, don't worry too much about it! :wizard:

It seems like your younger dog is jockying for position-he wants to be the alpha dog. Keep a close eye on them while they are eating. My dog and my parents' dog are the same way. I once put my dog's dinner in Blackie's bowl while he was in the kitchen. Well, the alpha dog took issue with that and growled for Copper to get out of the way. Copper and Blackie are fine together, and your dogs should be too-I wouldn't worry about it.

vivilasvegas said:
No, he was at her bowl! I don't know what he was doing, I think he thought she was done eating, and went to finish her food. That's when she came back over by the bowl!

From now on, I'll be sitting and watching them during feeding times. It's never been a problem before, so I didn't pay much attention.

I'm just worried that they will fight all the time now. :guilty:

More than likely, this will take care of your problem. I'm sure they'll be fine. We have a beagle who we have to correct from time to time (over food issues). She just gets a little carried away with herself, but then she's embarassed when we get on to her.

My mom's dogs "play fight" sometimes...and we'll yell their names to get them to knock it off.

Once the older one yelped...looked like the younger one got a good nip in. my mom wasn't concerned...even the vet said not to worry, saying "they'll draw blood once...and that'll be it. mark my words".

so far so good...hope it works out for your doggers.

The younger dog may be sensing a loss of capability with the older dog. This happended with my dogs about a month before my older one began to decline. If they were mine, I'd take the older dog in for a check up.

drayke said:
The younger dog may be sensing a loss of capability with the older dog. This happended with my dogs about a month before my older one began to decline. If they were mine, I'd take the older dog in for a check up.

That just made me tear up!!! :rotfl: I love my older dog, she's the first dog I've ever had.

Feeding time went fine today according to my boyfriend. He said they are both sleeping on the bed right now. We'll see what happens....

My two basenji's get snarky with each other on a regular basis...well, Sally gets snarky with Buddy.

They get into tiffs every once in awhile, but never anything serious. And, truth be told, even though Sally gets snarky when she thinks Buddy has "invaded her space", she also gets stressed out when she doesn't know where he is (i.e. when we take him to the vet)

I wouldn't worry about it too much...I think of them as just like kids. Sometimes they just have those sibling rivalry spats!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter