HELP..DS just ordered something on Ebay!!

mjbaby said:
Still, if the OP feels strongly about the issue and is able to recreate her day to give support - with some level of evidence like store receipts, phone records, statements from friends, etc. - to her claim that she wasn't around when the purchase was made then she can probably get out of it - if she really, really, really wants to.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Brier Rose said:
And yes...my DS is 7, and cannot read yet. He just turned 7, his bday was the end of OCT. We homeschool (bring it on :rolleyes: ), and made the decision to not start K5 until he was 6. He is doing great so far, but no he cannot read.

I am not sure if anyone else has made similar comments but from the looks of the original post ( before it was edited :rotfl: ) this person has no room to speak about a 7 year old not knowing how to read, I am sure they are an adult and they cannot even spell!

Originally Posted by mum4jenn
I can understand the seller not believing the story though because every 7 year ol I have been around (I work in a schol) knows how to read at that age!!

( Taken from Summerrluvv's post )

mjbaby said:
Now, this puts the burden of proving that the OP's son did the clicking without the OP's knowledge but I imagine - depending how far the OP wanted to go with this - if a sort of diary of the day's events could give a level of back up to the story. So, if the OP remembers that she logged on to ebay, made a phone call to Aunt Sally, ran to the grocery store, came home to make another phone call, went to the neighbors to talk about the cookie exchange and came home to the "you win" email, there may just be cause for mediation to consider the case. Judges make awards and decisions all the time on the basis of diaries such as this - one reason that some executives keep their appointment calendars for years in case they're needed for lawsuits and investigations. My dad keeps his calendars for at least five years.

Anyway, it's not a terribly expensive item and so the lesson to be learned here is a cheap one. Still, if the OP feels strongly about the issue and is able to recreate her day to give support - with some level of evidence like store receipts, phone records, statements from friends, etc. - to her claim that she wasn't around when the purchase was made then she can probably get out of it - if she really, really, really wants to.

:earseek: You are kidding..right?? This is a $35 sleeping bag....

Geez - I know I'm bored - which is why I continue to read this thread that has gone wayyy out of control...but, recreating the scene of the crime is probably wayyyy more energy & effort than OP wants - or, even should put into this issue. Good grief! I'll remember to never post my mistakes on this forum and ask for advice - especially, when it is an EBAY related issue. Now...let the flames begin :teeth:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

shades said:
:earseek: You are kidding..right?? This is a $35 sleeping bag....

Geez - I know I'm bored - which is why I continue to read this thread that has gone wayyy out of control...but, recreating the scene of the crime is probably wayyyy more energy & effort than OP wants - or, even should put into this issue. Good grief! I'll remember to never post my mistakes on this forum and ask for advice - especially, when it is an EBAY related issue. Now...let the flames begin :teeth:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Of course I don't think she should do it - that's why I said the lesson to be learned was cheap. My point was, and clearly I didn't make it well, was that the buyer in question is underaged and therefore cannot be held to the contract. So, IF (and it's a big IF) the OP really didn't want to pay then there is most definitely an out. My point was in response to all of the comments that ran along the lines of "well, you're in a contract now" and the OP may not be contracted at all, by the terms of the law (which take precedence over whatever ebay may have to say on the subject).

So, yeah, my tongue was firmly in cheek in the context of my suggestion, but not in the substance of the suggestion itself.

NancyIL said:
Just pay for the sleeping bag and be done with it.
WELL SAID! That would be the right thing to do. Ebay is not Target and it does say a bid is a binding contract. Buy the sleeping bag and sell it, give it as a gift OR donate it to Toys 4 Tots! It is NOT the seller's fault if anyone lets someone else use the computer or a child bids. Buy it and be glad he didn't buy something more expensive.

Why would you even assume or insinuate the poster cannot spell? Perhaps they just arent the best typer? I hate when people get on others about so called spelling ignorance when sometimes its just plain typing too fast!

Tiffann4k said:
I am not sure if anyone else has made similar comments but from the looks of the original post ( before it was edited :rotfl: ) this person has no room to speak about a 7 year old not knowing how to read, I am sure they are an adult and they cannot even spell!

Tiffann4k said:

IT IS CALLED A TYPING ERROR !!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS WHY I WENT BACK AND EDITED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am an excellent speller however when I type fast and furious at times my fingers miss a key or don't press down hard enough OR my fingers hit two keys at once because I am using a DISNEY keypad and it is made for little kids fingers.

Tiffann4k said:

And let me add.........HOW DARE YOU insinuate that I do not know how to spell. Should I go back and read every one of your posts to find all of your typing errors and then post them and call YOU stupid?????

Tiffann4k said:

And by the way check out your profile at the bottom .....that SHOULD be need to LOSE 85 pounds NOT LOOSE!!!!!!! TALK about calling the kettle BLACK!!!!!!!!!!

AND after looking at some of your posts it looks like you are the one with spelling problems. You seem to use "your" instead of "you're" quite a bit as well as other errors...hmmmmmmm.typing mistakes or what???....hmmmmmmm????????????

mum4jenn said:
And let me add.........HOW DARE YOU insinuate that I do not know how to spell. Should I go back and read every one of your posts to find all of your typing errors and then post them and call YOU stupid?????

...and how dare you belittle someone else's child because they cannot read. :rolleyes:

I did not belittle a child. I just have never heard of a 7 year old not able to read.

mum4jenn said:
I did not belittle a child. I just have never heard of a 7 year old not able to read.

Well now you have. Like many others have pointed out, not all 7 year olds can read enough to know what they are clicking on when on ebay. Your comments were snarky and uncalled for, specifically the homeschooling and lower performing schools part. My son will be seven next month and attends a great school, however he does not read yet.

NancyIL said:
Just pay for the sleeping bag and be done with it.

Wow....Seven pages before someone was able to give the correct answer to the problem in a single sentence.

Nice job!:)

mum4jenn...

Pointing out spelling mistakes is usually done by those who can't spell very well themselves. Funny how it always comes back to bite them in the butt, huh? :teeth: Besides, there's an old rule on the Dis.....the first poster who stoops to playing with the spell checker loses (or looses depending on who is typing;)) the argument.

Just buy the sleeping bag and give it to the Salvation Army. You'll feel better and your child will have ended up doing a good deed!:goodvibes

Oh brother..some people are so darn touchy here. You cant say this, you cant say that...the statement was that she hadnt heard of a child 7 years old not being able to read before...did she say this posters child is dumb or stupid? Did she come out and say it was "only" because he is homeschooled? I swear some are so darn defensive its ridiculous

Instead of defending all that why not realize that sometimes our kids make mistakes and its out job as parents to deal with it instead of putting blame on the "victim" who happens to be an honest ebay seller!

Brier Rose said:
I did not get offended. I just wanted to make it clear that he does not. Not yet anyway. We're working on it, and it's going well. We're taking it at a very slow pace, moving forward when he seems ready. I've never really been into the whole numbers thing...must do X by age Y. He's much more in to math and science than reading right now.

I also homeschool my DD who did know how to read VERY well at that age, so I can see how it might be hard to believe. Sometimes I just have to step back, and remember that just because I know I'm telling the truth doesn't mean someone else does.

I've been in elementary ed for almost 20 years and have never seen a 7 yo that could not read. Weird. I know he can catch up, but most kids I know are reading beginner books by 5yo. I'm sure he'll take off once he's taught. Does he know his letters yet?

Brier Rose said:
The seller knows I do not want the item, I told him exactly that, and then I offered to pay his fees because honestly the ONLY thing I feel responsible to cover is that. He responded...

We also have automated our tax books and we can only keep this accurate if
we have the sale taken off, paying the selling fee would only pay that
portion. The gross amount of sell would still be on our books.

and then went on to say that I could get something else in his ebay store for the same value instead.
I thought about, decided I did not want to spend 50.00 on something I had no plans to buy, and decided I would sent him a check for $15.00.

According to what I have learned here, this should cover his fees plus be a little extra for aggravation. Even though he will not just "let me off the hook", he has been very nice about the whole thing actually.

Could a compromise be that you could still purchase the sleeping bag and give it to Toys For Tots or a needy child in your area? I'm not sure what the status of the item is now, but just a thought. At least it would serve a worthy purpose.

summerrluvv said:
Well now you have. Like many others have pointed out, not all 7 year olds can read enough to know what they are clicking on when on ebay. Your comments were snarky and uncalled for, specifically the homeschooling and lower performing schools part. My son will be seven next month and attends a great school, however he does not read yet.

And bythe way.......the OP WROTE a reply saying she was NOT offended by my not having heard of 7 year old children unable to read. Go back and read it again.

mum4jenn said:
And bythe way.......the OP WROTE a reply saying she was NOT offended by my not having heard of 7 year old children unable to read. Go back and read it again.

Why do I need to go back and read it again? I read what you typed and still find it snarky. Perhaps that wasn't your intention, however that is how it came across.

I also wanted to add. Those that have children who are having trouble reading, www.starfall.com is a good site. My son loves it. He can read short books like the HOP books, but that's about it. This site is definately helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter