HELP..DS just ordered something on Ebay!!

DMRick said:
By the way, the OP said:
So did the seller assume she was offering to pay for the item? The fees? Somewhere I got confused, I think. I guess I didn't see where he was bullying her, just stating what he would do if she didn't pay..and since she didn't want the sleeping bag, he offered alternatives, trying to work it out for both of them.

The seller knows I do not want the item, I told him exactly that, and then I offered to pay his fees because honestly the ONLY thing I feel responsible to cover is that. He responded...

We also have automated our tax books and we can only keep this accurate if
we have the sale taken off, paying the selling fee would only pay that
portion. The gross amount of sell would still be on our books.

and then went on to say that I could get something else in his ebay store for the same value instead.
I thought about, decided I did not want to spend 50.00 on something I had no plans to buy, and decided I would sent him a check for $15.00.

According to what I have learned here, this should cover his fees plus be a little extra for aggravation. Even though he will not just "let me off the hook", he has been very nice about the whole thing actually.

Brier Rose said:
According to what I have learned here, this should cover his fees plus be a little extra for aggravation. Even though he will not just "let me off the hook", he has been very nice about the whole thing actually.
I'm glad you feel that way. I wish he had said ok to the fees, since it would have been a better experience for you. Just for my own curiosity..how many days were left on the item..I'm wondering if it was a store item, or an ebay item that went into his store. I thought maybe it was actually an auction item that had limited time and that was why he didn't want to just relist it. If not, then it really would have been nice of him to ok the fees (stores fees are much less for listing, and he would get back end of sale fees just by saying you both backed out). Another scenerio he could have played out, was to relist and "forgive" the fees if it sold.

You know, as I said before, I run my own business, and my DH is self employed as well. We have had people back out of deals before where we had minimal time invested, and it would never occur to either one of us to try and get money out of it. Really, just always considered that a part of doing business.

Now if I had already invested supplies, or was losing money some other way because of a customer, that's different. I would expect to be payed for whatever I had in it. That is why I offered to pay the buyer what he has actually lost.

It's disappointing yes, but you win some, you lose some.

A few threads down there is an ebay buyer that sold something it turns out they didn't have. Amazingly that whole thread consists of nothing but how the buyer should be understanding about the whole thing and let it go, because it's not a big deal...happens all the time.

What if that buyer really wanted that item, and bought from you, thus missing out on other opportunities to purchase from someone, and now lost out the chance to ever own that item? Wouldn't that be a big deal to the buyer? But most sellers think they should just let it go. Seems like a double standard to me.

If I'd had known this thread was going to turn into something like this, I would have never even posted. I just had no idea how ebay works, and was confused about what to do, so first thing I thought was ask the disboards!

Stupid me. The way things have been around here lately I should have known better. I feel like I have gotten everything from being called a liar, to my son being a liar, to what kind of mother am I for letting him get a hold of the computer in the first place.:guilty:

I have no reason on God's green earth to come on here and lie about any aspect of this fiasco. And I am certianly not in denial when it comes to my son. He did not do it on purpose, and at least in THIS house my children have never been, and never will be punished for an accident, so no I won't be making him pay for the item either.

I don't feel I should have to buy the item, I do feel I should have to pay the seller any fees he would be out..end of story.

To those that actually helped me, thank you.

DMRick said:
I'm glad you feel that way. I wish he had said ok to the fees, since it would have been a better experience for you. Just for my own curiosity..how many days were left on the item..I'm wondering if it was a store item, or an ebay item that went into his store. I thought maybe it was actually an auction item that had limited time and that was why he didn't want to just relist it. If not, then it really would have been nice of him to ok the fees (stores fees are much less for listing, and he would get back end of sale fees just by saying you both backed out). Another scenerio he could have played out, was to relist and "forgive" the fees if it sold.

I honestly don't even know. The whole thing is just such a blur now. I never even saw the item until it showed up in an email that I had bought it.

All I know is this person has an ebay store that has a rotating string of pictures at the bottom of the screen. You can get the line of pictures to stop my placing the curser over it, and then if you want to see a larger picture of it, click on it. This takes you to a screen with a larger picture, and beside it, a buy it now button. The are no places to place a bid, no time left of this item, nothing but a buy it no button. That's all I know.

With all the spoof email out there before you do anything go to ebay and check your My Ebay. This will confirm an actual sale. This will double check your email just in case. If you have never really used ebay before you would not know about all the fake emails that are going around. I have gotten several about a watch I supposedly bought and never did. Just check before you send anything okay :bitelip:

moniot said:
With all the spoof email out there before you do anything go to ebay and check your My Ebay. This will confirm an actual sale. This will double check your email just in case. If you have never really used ebay before you would not know about all the fake emails that are going around. I have gotten several about a watch I supposedly bought and never did. Just check before you send anything okay :bitelip:

Thank you. Another poster mentioned that earlier also, and then I got sidetracked and forgot to go check.

After I read your post, I went and looked, and unfourtunatly it looks like my DS really did buy it. I really do appreciate your helpful suggestion, that's what I was looking for when I posted here. :)

Brier Rose said:
A few threads down there is an ebay buyer that sold something it turns out they didn't have. Amazingly that whole thread consists of nothing but how the buyer should be understanding about the whole thing and let it go, because it's not a big deal...happens all the time..
I wouldn't consider it "not" a big deal. If I did that, I would apologize, offer a discount on something else I had, but there isn't much more I could do. If someone sold something they didn't have, what could they do to fix it? They can't make it appear. No one is out any money. Yes, the buyer will be disappointed, but it isn't costing the buyer any money. Chances are the buyer doesn't hear several times a month, that my aunt, sister, girlfriend bid without my knowing it. I'm sorry this turned sour for you. I think so many of us sellers have had sooo many people give excuses lately, we are less forgiving than we once might have been. I really didn't think people thought you were lying, but I think we (at least I was) were just trying to explain to you why sellers have stopped believing it when they hear excuses. This is a first time for you..your son hasn't done this before. We hear them more and more.
It's good advice given..make sure your son really did bid, before you send money, by logging onto eBay and clicking at the top on My eBay.
I too am self employed, and most of my work is time, but I do bill people, if they don't pay for their item (I generally get a down payment before I start the work, to cover my costs and first hour). I have even sent a couple to a collection agency. I do write it off if they never pay, but luckily, it's not a common problem. As I said before, it is too bad he wouldn't let you just pay costs..but perhaps you were the 10th person this week, and he was frustrated.
Your first note asked what should you do, what should you tell the seller. I think most people answered in their opinion. I don't think they were slamming you, just giving their opinion. It's a message board and we all have lots of opinions when asked.

mum4jenn said:
Our system scores well above the state average so I guess I did not take homeschooling and lower performing schools into consideration.
(bold added by me)

WOW! Interesting juxtaposition of those two things there.

Wow.

DMRick said:
Your first note asked what should you do, what should you tell the seller. I think most people answered in their opinion. I don't think they were slamming you, just giving their opinion. It's a message board and we all have lots of opinions when asked.

Yes, but how many "other" comments did I get?

Everything from my DS should be punished, to the subtle suggestions that this may not be a totally true story, and then even picking apart whether or not my DS can read!

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but feel like I got much more than just opinions on what to do.

I can't believe that I have been at this all day, or that I'm letting it bother me so much. The whole thing just makes me sad. :guilty:

Backing away now.

I read threw most of the posts. I did not see mention of contacting EBAY. Is that possible and explain the situation to them?

I found the item, the man would be out .03 if he let her out of the sale and filed for ending fees for mutual withdrawal. These are instant buy it nows, if he put it right back up (he didn't so far) he would have been out a couple of hours. I don't think it would take much time to relist, because he uses Vendio and it's one click for what this is. He'll be out some time on his books, so a couple bucks is all I would send for the time he'd have to spend fixing them (just to ease my own conscience). He'd be foolish to neg her, a 0 as he has 100% high feedback after some mutual neg withdrawals and a few neutrals. I think we all have to assume, somehow it was an accident, she's beat herself up about it enough..she doesn't need me to add to it. She's right IMO, we were willing to let the seller off (who sold something they didn't have) with nothing more than.."I feel your pain". For me, it's time to let this buyer off too. I don't often let buyers who bid off, so this is a biggy for me :rotfl:

edited to add, this particular item has been listed since May in his store. Not sure what that has to do with anything, but I find it interesting.

Wow, as someone who has been researching buying quite a few items on Ebay, I think after reading this my mind has been changed.

My sister has been buying on Ebay for quite a few years and when she heard that DH was looking to buy a new laptop computer, Visio Software, and a plotter, she told me to look on Ebay.

So I have been looking, and some of the prices are great, some are good, some are okay. So then I started looking at feedback, how many months/years they have been selling, etc. Well DH did buy his laptop from Ebay and all went well, and I am glad because it did save us a lot of money.

But after reading this thread, with so many sellers who say "oh, I get the I did not mean to buy it excuse all of the time", " I will leave negative feedback and then you will not be able to buy/sell on Ebay again." I don't think there is any reason to buy from Ebay.

Why put up with all of the "drama" of Ebay sellers just to save a few bucks?? If I buy something at Target, walk out to my car and turn around and walk back in and return it, there will be no problem. They won't say "well you knew that you bought this, so just keep it"

Sorry to the OP for hijacking your thread, but like you I am new to Ebay and was amazed by the responses that you got.

barbeml said:
Wow, bizarre story.

Maybe it was a "Buy It Now" transaction? That still involves at least two clicks in just the right spot. Maybe your kid is a genius!

The kid is 7, clicking buy it now, doesn't qualify a 7 year old as a genius, sounds like you're being sarcastic.

To the OP:
It happens especially when it's a buy it now, Ebay doesn't log you out automatically unless you've been away for a long while. I would have handled this somewhere else besides the Disboards due to the remarks like the one above.

JennaTX said:
But after reading this thread, with so many sellers who say "oh, I get the I did not mean to buy it excuse all of the time", " I will leave negative feedback and then you will not be able to buy/sell on Ebay again." I don't think there is any reason to buy from Ebay..
Where do the many sellers from this board say that they would leave a neg so the OP wouldn't be able to buy /sell on eBay again?

Why put up with all of the "drama" of Ebay sellers just to save a few bucks?? If I buy something at Target, walk out to my car and turn around and walk back in and return it, there will be no problem. They won't say "well you knew that you bought this, so just keep it"

I think sometimes people forget that Ebay is not a retail outlet, it's an auction site. Would you expect to go to an auction in person and get the same customer guarantees that you get when you go into Target? I certainly wouldn't.

You can get some incredible buys on Ebay. The down side is that you are bidding on an auction and other than misrepresentation or fraud, it's a buyer beware situation just as it is in a real live auction. When I can get the prices Target can for their merchandise, I'll give the guarantees they give.

If you're not willing to take all the risks associated with buying at an auction, then Ebay isn't for you.

Btw...I'd never, ever bid on computers on Ebay. It's much too risky for my tastes.

Brier Rose said:
Stupid me. The way things have been around here lately I should have known better. I feel like I have gotten everything from being called a liar, to my son being a liar, to what kind of mother am I for letting him get a hold of the computer in the first place.:guilty:.
--------------------------------

I don't think ANY of this at all! I'm still thinking it may have been a "scam".. Unless I'm doing something wrong (I've been buying all weekend - winning auctions and using the BIN feature) it's not that "easy" to just "click" the button and a purchase has been made.. :confused3

I don't think your son made the purchase at all - and being a "bad" mom because your 7 yr. old had access to your computer? Oh please :rolleyes: .....people need to chill out here..

Whatever you decide to do, don't let the negative comments here get under your skin.. They're nonsense as far as I'm concerned..

I think alot of sellers on this thread are venting their "ebay christmas frustrations" out at the OP's expense. I am a seller as well and yes, i've heard the 'my kid did this by accident' excuse but i have been on the OTHER end as well. My son bid on a Yugioh card once w/o me knowing. i was still signed in. the seller was very nice about it so one good turn deserves another. when someone gave ME that same excuse, i said, no problem, it happens.

I seem to recall from a business and trade law class that contracts may not be legally entered into by minors without a parent's signature. That is, if someone's 17 year old manages to somehow get some cash together to buy a car and drives it away from the seller (let's say it's a used car bought from an individual) and then decides to repudiate the contract, he or she may ask for the money back at any time. And, in some states, the kid doesn't even have to give the car back.

Now, this puts the burden of proving that the OP's son did the clicking without the OP's knowledge but I imagine - depending how far the OP wanted to go with this - if a sort of diary of the day's events could give a level of back up to the story. So, if the OP remembers that she logged on to ebay, made a phone call to Aunt Sally, ran to the grocery store, came home to make another phone call, went to the neighbors to talk about the cookie exchange and came home to the "you win" email, there may just be cause for mediation to consider the case. Judges make awards and decisions all the time on the basis of diaries such as this - one reason that some executives keep their appointment calendars for years in case they're needed for lawsuits and investigations. My dad keeps his calendars for at least five years.

Anyway, it's not a terribly expensive item and so the lesson to be learned here is a cheap one. Still, if the OP feels strongly about the issue and is able to recreate her day to give support - with some level of evidence like store receipts, phone records, statements from friends, etc. - to her claim that she wasn't around when the purchase was made then she can probably get out of it - if she really, really, really wants to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter