HELP..DS just ordered something on Ebay!!

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by Brier Rose, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Brier Rose

Brier Rose <font color=9999FF>The Tag Fairy prefers to remain

I have no idea how this happened! I have never ever ordered something off of ebay, but was going to today, so I registered this morning.

When I came in this afternoon, I had received the activation email, so I clicked on it to finish up the registration process. I went back to the ebay store, and was looking around when I had to leave the room, and laid the lap top down. When I got back DS 7, was looking at some things on it, but I thought that was it.

Just now, I went to check my email, and have this congratulations you won a power ranger sleeping bag notice!!! WTH??

Now what do I do?? Dsis says if I don't buy it, I may never be able to buy anything on ebay again.(not that that's the end of the world, but still)

What should I tell the seller?
    TIA

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. ohiominnie

ohiominnie <font color=teal>It's interesting when you google

I think I'd tell the seller "I'll Paypal you tonight." It's not the seller's fault your DS got onto the computer. Get the sleeping bag. If it was my kid they'd be forking over their allowance until the thing was paid for.

Be sure to have a tricky password for ebay and always log out! ;)

4. KarenAylwood

KarenAylwood <font color=red>It wouldn't be the holidays withou

:earseek: Wow. That is pretty crazy!!

:goodvibes your way...

I guess you could email the seller and try to explain what happened. I can't imagine that they would be that understanding (sounds like a good "dog ate my homework" excuse though!!). I'm figuring from your post that you wouldn't just buy the sleeping bag? ....

It's not like you had any feedback so I'm guessing you could just get another account and it wouldn't be that big of a problem. Some other Ebay pro's will step in about this I'm sure.

I think DS needs a little talking to though... :rolleyes:

5. Brier Rose

Just to be clear he did not know he was "buying" something. This isn't even something that he wanted. As best I can tell he was just clicking on pictures to see them bigger, much like he does when we are looking together at toys on say target.com, etc... He doesn't even know how to read yet, so I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he did not do this on purpose! If it's anybody's fault it's mine.

I will be more careful from now on, but like I said I had NO idea it was that easy to buy something on ebay or I would have never even left the computer laying around.This is the first time I have ever even been on ebay...believe it or not!

I just emailed the seller and told him the honest truth. Guess I'll have to wait and see. No I do not want this item, but I guess we'll see.

6. KarenAylwood

KarenAylwood <font color=red>It wouldn't be the holidays withou

:rotfl:

Awwww. Never thought about it before... but I guess it is pretty easy! Let us know what happens.

Just out of curiosity... did you "buy" it for a lot of money??

7. Brier Rose

It was $35.00 plus $12.00 for shipping. I'm not sure how much they go for in the store. I'll have to ask my mom, she gave my DS one almost just like it last year for Christmas!

8. Brier Rose

He just emailed back. Let's just say he's not happy!

He said that when an item is bought ebay considers that a contract, and the seller automatically gets charged a selling fee. Is this true?

I told him to let me know what it is, and I would pay it. I really do not want this thing, but I don't want my mistake to cost the seller any money!

He says that if I do not pay for the item he will do a Non-paying bidder against my account to get back his fees from EBay. Is there really a need to do this, I offered to pay it. :confused3

He says he will not do a negative feedback if this was an accident but he will have to get some of his fees back.

9. WatchinCaptKangaroo

WatchinCaptKangaroo DIS Veteran

So many buyers use their kids as an excuse to explain away buyers remorse that you should be prepared to either buy the bag when the seller says too bad, it's your account you're responsible or start over with a new ID (but you need a new credit card and stuff) and start over.

10. WatchinCaptKangaroo

Yes, there is a final value fee that is a percentage of the purchase. He also pays the listing fee.

That sound fair. Offer to pay his final value fee, his original listing fee and new listing fees.

He can do it to get his fees back from ebay, but if you pay the fees he shouldn't do a NPB against you.

11. PrincessJasmine

PrincessJasmine Mouseketeer

What I don't get is exactly how he did this if he can't read. You usually have to type in a bid amount, and when I'm buying on Ebay I always get a prompt to re-enter my password when I bid...

12. Rella Bella

Rella Bella <font color=deeppink>We offer gifts of love becaus

If your seller would agree to this and not list you as a Non Paying Buyer or give you bad feedback you would both come out okay.
    But if he insists on doing NPB or will give you bad feed back JUST BUY IT!

Just starting out you may not realize that ANY bad feedback will follow you... I'd even say haunt you! I know many Ebay regulars who won't deal with buyers or sellers with bad feedback and until you have a lot of positive transactions people will not trust you.

IMHO It's just not worth it to refuse to buy. Just get it and donate it somewhere or something... don't let it ruin your future with Ebay.

13. briannesmom

briannesmom <font color=coral>Definitely not the kind of shot

The seller can file the Non Paying Bidder report to get his fees back from ebay. There is an option on a NPB for both parties to mutually agree not to complete sale. This way you won't get a non paying strike on your account and he will get his fees back.
    I would do what WatchinCaptKangaroo said and offer to pay his fees for this auction and the new listing fee. If he does leave you negative feedback start over with a new account. You will have a hard time buying anything with feedback of -1.

Amy

14. WatchinCaptKangaroo

You can also buy it and then re-sell it on ebay. When you list it after the description you can say that you bought it ended up not needing it so you are reselling it.

15. Brier Rose

That's what my sister said! We can't figure it out. I though maybe he just hit a button, but she said it would have to be several buttons. :confused3

As best I can tell, this wasn't an item up for bid, but rather a buy it now item from an ebay store. Does that make it easier?

16. PrincessJasmine

PrincessJasmine Mouseketeer

It does make more sense that way. I would still think a password prompt would come up but I guess it didn't.

17. Brier Rose

Ok, I just got another email from him. He doesn't really want me to just pay the fees. He's offered to let me just buy something else from his ebay store for the same price, so I think I'll have another look.

18. my3kids

my3kids <font color=blue>Helpful Cruise Board regular!<br>

It isn't easy to put a bid in on eBay....you have to go through entering the bid, then confirming. It just doesn't happen with clicking on pictures.

I would probably just buy the item. And remember to sign out anytime you put the lap top down. :)

19. Kimmielee

Kimmielee <marquee><font color=blue>The first person to repl

I don't get a password prompt unless quite a while has passed since viewing the last item. If you are actively moving around and looking for an item it doesn't prompt you!

20. tiggger1

tiggger1 <font color=green>I put vicks on my feet<br><font

i thought you could go into my ebay and cancel a bid if you needed to? it should have been in the congrats email you got. You arent supposed to you it unless it was an accident and since this was, i would try to use it....

21. aka-mad4themouse

aka-mad4themouse <font color="blue">Budget Board Co-Host</font>

I sounds as if he's at least trying to work with you. Either way, you're out the money. :sad:
    Two lessons learned from this:
    1. Always log out of any website that is connected to you financially (online stores, PayPal, banking, CC sites, etc.) and close the browser window they were in.
    2. Little minds are curious and little hands are fast. I'm sure that your DS now understands that the laptop is not his personal toy and it's only okay to use it when Mom or Dad is supervising. Imagine if he had accidentally stumbled on some "adult" material! :scared1: