Headin South for Some "Tooth" Whitening!! A Dizneydawn TR ACTUAL Update 7/14

I used to live 15 minutes from Mexico, MO and we played Louisiana for HS sports! Then there is Versailles, MO.....don't pronounce it the French way...we Missourians pronounce Ver-sails. :)

Jill in CO

:rotfl::lmao::rotfl2:
You are killing me!!!!

Iowa is so funny - I swear it's just that they did not know any better!!! We stoped at the Iowa welcome center once (which had an antique store in it) and the sign said something like Iowa - Where the Fun Happens

I took a picture of it. I'll try to find it for you at home.

I agree about road trips. They can be so fun, but to be fun takes extra time and then you don't get to where you want on time. Especially on the way to your destination - I just want to get there! Going home, eh, I can take my time. No rush.

Did you get to Smyrna then at 11:30 Or did you stop somewhere before there?

There is a town in Iowa called Fertile which is near Climax.

Again, Iowans will try and make you think they are all religious until they get their Freak on!

Just quietly lurking until I read that.....Seriously, I MUST quit drinking coffee when I'm reading your TRs!!!! :rotfl2:
Being originally from Iowa, there's always something to comment on in your reports :goodvibes
I am glad you know it is just in jest! Minnesotaaaaahhhhh is not any better dontcha knooow? ;)
I also love the Little Brown Church (as well as the Grotto of Redemption in West Bend)....we made a detour to stop at both when driving back to NJ from IA a few years ago.....Just another former Iowan, trying to convince her husband that she's all religious and whatnot! ;)
Let me know when he buys it!:lmao:
:rotfl: OK, I nearly fell out of my chair with the names of these places. Seriously?!? Who ever thought those were good ideas? LOL!!!!!
Men.;)
Your gas station reminds me of when DH and I were chased out of Myrtle Beach by hurricane Fran-whole town was on a mandatory evac so we thought the side roads on the map looked good:confused3 Several hours into our journey we passed exactly enterprise-a hot dog stand in front of a trailer park-"the park and blow" kid. you. not.
OMgoodness! I want to open a carwash/biffy stop called the Sh** & Shine! :rotfl2:
Enjoying the TR so far! I am a newbie to your reports but am excited to read some more!
Welcome and make sure to get over to the food report to know what we devoured this trip!:lovestruc
Glad you are not out!!!:rotfl2:
I used to live 15 minutes from Mexico, MO and we played Louisiana for HS sports! Then there is Versailles, MO.....don't pronounce it the French way...we Missourians pronounce Ver-sails. :)
Ohhhh...that sound so much classier!!! Like Hooper, Nebraska is pronounced Huhpper. Those Nebraskands always getting so uppity!
Jill in CO

:rotfl::lmao::rotfl2:
You are killing me!!!!
Am I on your insurance plan? I would be the first person they would suspect ya know!

Did you get to Smyrna then at 11:30 p.m.?

Yup we did!!

Honestly I could have cried because there was not a lot to see or do. Then, we got excited because we thought we were farther south than we were!

P1090215.jpg

Only to be let down to find out someone who did not pass geography in HS was declared namer of towns and villages in Missouri.

:lmao::lmao::lmao: That would have gotten me so excited too! I would also have probably made an inane comment about hearing the waves of the Gulf soon. Alas. Town naming trickery is cruel, isn't it?

Hilarious start, now off to go catch up on your food report! :goodvibes

Ok so I have to ask, What is the mascot for the Intercourse, Pa High School?:teacher::rotfl2::lmao::rotfl::confused3

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Well, I know the first thing that comes to mind, but I probably can't post it here.

It's so Amish there that I don't think the have a real high school in that town.

Hilarious start, now off to go catch up on your food report! :goodvibes
So thankful you took the time to visit me here!!!
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Well, I know the first thing that comes to mind, but I probably can't post it here.

It's so Amish there that I don't think the have a real high school in that town.

I looked it up and at least found this:

# Leacock Elementary School
3656 Old Philadelphia Pike
Intercourse, PA
mascot - Indian

Here are some other unique ones/idiotic:

AZ
Salome - Frogs - Cause nothing is as bad @ss as a frog.

Yuma - Criminals - I wonder if they have a bumper sticketr that says, "My Criminal stole more than your honor role student"?

AR
Hartford - Hustlers - If the forefathers only knew how big Hugh Heffner would be - they would have been the Bunnies.

Harrison - Golden Goblins - Because the Pewter Goblins was already taken.

Ozark - Hillbillies - Bib Overhauls and single teeth complimentary at Graduation.

CA
Morgan Hill: Live Oak - Acorns - Sometimes you feel like a nut...sometimes you don't!

Napa - Vintage Crushers - Really? I believe drinking wine is about as vintage as you can get.

Ojai: Ojai Valley School - Spuds - They thought about the Taters but the Mr. Potato Head guy did not fit below the logo.

Yuba City - Honkers - I'ma honker your a honker, wouldn't ya like to be a honker too?

Okay - this is way too fun...I will need to keep posting my faves throughout the next week. No way to properly appreciate it all in one sitting. :lmao:

Let me get this straight, you passed through St. Louis and didn't stop to say hi?? Or even text "We're driving passed you"?? Or in any way let me know that you were within touching distance for a brief time????? Do I smell or something?

:hug:
Just caught up on this and your food report after a few days without a computer and loving it :goodvibes:goodvibes
Welcome back!
Let me get this straight, you passed through St. Louis and didn't stop to say hi?? Or even text "We're driving passed you"?? Or in any way let me know that you were within touching distance for a brief time????? Do I smell or something?

My cell was dead and that has your number!!! Dan's darn GPS on his phone only gave us a few miles ahead at a time so it was a suprise for me too!!!! I said we were idiots for not having a map! I was anxious the whole time having my life dictated my only a 3x4 screen and not a big, outdated Atlas!!

In fact Dan will tell you I argued that I thought our way through Iowa would send us through St. Louis. He said, "No, it turns to the east before then."

Hmmmm...who was right???

The girl!

I yelled out "hiya" Stacey towards the downtown area where I thought maybe your theater might be!:hug: I also appreciated the length of your drive home!!!:worship:

P1090191.jpg

This church means something to me because my Aunt was married here the second time around.

Your aunt must've been VERY short :rotfl:

Iowa's best known convenience chain:

P1090203.jpg

That is just SO wrong :rotfl2:

I started to drive and Dan became Polly Polaroid in St Louis.

P1090223.jpg

P1090225.jpg

So pretty!!

Great update!

I'm on board! Enjoyed your last TR and my mother and I are doing a 4 days Mom/Daughter trip in about a week! (hopefully i'll start a TR). But noticed you went through Hannibal, my husband is 20 minutes from there!

Since you went to Tutto Italia (we have a late ressie there on our upcoming trip) what would you recommend? My mom and I will be splitting meals because the portions are usually huge.

Reading your TRs just make me want to go on a road trip MORE AND MORE. But Andrew doesn't like driving long distances and it would be hard for me to drive all day. I'm sure I'll be able to convince him one day...

Oh my goodness.....The sign for the bar with the back room.....that's my new screen name on msn.

Day 2

We awoke early. Really early for only getting a long nap. It was worth it though. Stretching out and literally putting our feet up felt great after the sardine can marathon.

We left before they would think of having breakfast out. It had originally been budgeted we would not pay oop for breakfast but getting on the road proved to be worth more in value because it would mean another road trip stop for breakfast and more stories to tell.

P1090228.jpg

Was the going price in TN that morning @
P1090227.jpg
:scared1:

We did find out via a reputable CNN site that there is a website you can go to on your phone and get the local gas prices within a certain radius or you can zoom out to look at a national average per state/region. We found out that indeed, TN was way cheaper than GA would be and we tried to use it when possible.

I believe it was: gasbuddy.com FYI. :thumbsup2

About an hour into the drive we were either tired or hungry and we decided to make a pit stop at a Mountain Top TN Waffle House. I have posted the food review of it already here: Waffle House review
but as a recap, we walked into a NASCAR time warp.

Every man in the place had a NASCAR ball cap on unless it was the guy who had the NASCAR jacket on because he was heading into work. There was one other couple in there but I think she may have been a lady of the night and I don't mean batwoman!!!

She was not attractive, looked like a washed up Loretta Lynn after being drug around by a coal cart a few times. She was wearing her fashionable Summer teeth, even though it was clearly only early spring.

I bet she wears white after labor day too cause she is a fashion rebel that way.

You all know what Summer teeth are dontcha?

If not ask and I will let ya know. :teacher: ;)

There were two men wrapping up their time on the Waffle House clock and our waiter Koty, took care of us while the cook, slapped on some bacon, got himself a fine batter, he got himself an old fiddle cause you know there aint nothing better than the sun commin up with cakes on the griddle!

I actually love Waffle Houses. I also love the South. All of it, although sometimes I do not understand the mentality of people who do not have enough teeth to hold a cigarette in their head, buying more cigarettes instead of buying teeth. :confused3

I suppose it is like an ahummmmm, cough, sputter, point at self... overweight person buying another doughnut, instead of a gym membership! :idea:

It is a strange thing to experience as a Northerner, to head south and notice the quantity of people who smoke or sit in a restaurant and be asked if you want a smoking section or not. The South is home to tobacco and the North is home to hot dish coma's.

We did have the best morning, listening to locales talk about their lives, their work and show such tremendous pride in their pickups. Seriously, not a blemish on a truck from the 70's. Looked like it had just rolled off the showroom floor. In Minnesota there would be softball size holes throughout because of all the darn salt on the roads.

We finished up, and headed out less than 30 minutes later. The sun was just about to rise and we had the most gorgeous view over mountain ridges and a beautiful lake. I kept thinking how lucky I would be to someday be here full time.

P1090229.jpg

Our goal was to be at WDW by 6:30 p.m. and we were ahead of schedule and excited. The home stretch of the drive was on!

Once we entered GA, the weird got worse.

We ate at a Krystal...again, get your hiney over to the food review pages!!!

It was after that we knew peaches were just a cover story for GA's number one money maker.

Or tail shaker.

Perhaps, baby maker?

P1090235.jpg

Why is it that GA insists on letting you know you can see more than just plain ole run of the mill neked strippers?

They are either "Totally," "Completely", or "Entirely" neked. They also try and use slick, smooth talking words like, "check it out."

And encase you were not smart enough to catch on to their innuendos, the local establishments will continue to beat you over the head with multiple billboards every ten feet, and after the exit another 200 feet, just because you may have had a sleeping wife in the car who wakes up after the exit only to slap her husband on the arm and say:

"Honey, why did ya not tell me that that thar exit had a Georgia must see attraction?"

I remember the kids being old enough to read and each of them going through the phase of reading aloud passing billboards. Squinting to make out the words until they came into sight and open mouth forming the letters into words until they knew they were not in Minnesota anymore.

They were in the Bible Belt. :littleangel:

Maybe it should have been referred to as Garter Belt? :lmao:

The other pet peeve about GA, is their road construction for 237.8 miles where only about 60 feet is actually being worked on by 78.5 workers.

I have never seen a state where they have orange cones every few feet for miles and miles and miles with no sign of construction.

P1090238.jpg

P1090239.jpg

My theory is that they are like my Grandma was with her furniture. They keep the cones out so one side stays good and looks pretty always. The plastic protector of couches everywhere to Great Depression mindset.

We stopped at the outlets just south of Atlanta and I stocked up on my hair supplies I had forgotten at home and also found my Champs Elysees perfume I like from France Pavilion, for 1/2 off on a daily special!!! :cool1:

About an hour south, just before you cross the border into FL, I spotted a lone billboard on the left side of the road, claiming to have the worlds best hot dogs. It must have been God's will because usually I do not read billboards across the highway that are low to the ground.

We ate at a awesome little Lake Side place, enjoying the warm air and turning our faces to the sun like we had never seen it before.

P1090244.jpg

Dan looking cute and mysterious! ;)

P1090248.jpg

Dan looking like a Mafia Hit man.

Our next gas fill brought us to a much needed car wash.

That did not work.

P1090249.jpg

Or at least it did not like money from the North.

Seriously, Dan was shoving in every dollar bill he had in any increment of funds and it kept spitting it back out. It would take it, think about it, tease Dan into assuming finally it would be accepting of our offerings and then spew it out like baby vomit.

This happened for almost 5 minutes while people were in line behind us so we could not back out and could not go forward.

I was LMAO, and Dan was not finding me funny.

Which only made me laugh harder.;) :rolleyes1

Finally he paid with a credit card and the signal lit for us to drive in.

I am not positive but I think the cars behind us were high fiving each other.

It was also at this particular location that an older, handicapped, man approached Dan while he was pumping and asked him for money.

He claimed he forgot his wallet and needed money for his truck. Dan gave him some and he moved onto other people in the tank area as well.

As I watched, it was interesting to see his different approach to men, based on their color.

He was black.

When he asked Dan, he asked politely but not with any sort of familiarity.

When he approached a black man in front of our car with a very expensive watch, shoes and vehicle, he went up, stretched out his hand and acted as if they were long time friends. If I were him, the money of that man would make me more subdued if anything.

Then he went on and it was the same approach, based on the color of the person at the pump. That did not mean all black people gave him money because he was turned away by some. It did make me wonder how this 60+ man came to his conclusions of approach and what was going to be received well from whom.

It made me wonder what his story was. He had an older green truck with handicap plates. He walked with an obvious hip concern and I did not care if he actually needed the money or if it was a scam. I was just glad in that moment I was lucky enough to be in my shoes and not his. :worship:

Up next: We finally arrive!!!!

I am really enjoying your report, and you've just gotten started!

Hmm... I thought I was the only one who took pictures of gas price signs on vacation. :rotfl2:

Day 2

We stopped at the outlets just south of Atlanta and I stocked up on my hair supplies I had forgotten at home and also found my Champs Elysees perfume I like from France Pavilion, for 1/2 off on a daily special!!! :cool1:

You were in my backyard!! Yes, GA loves some road construction. I am dissapointed that you didn't mention the charming billboards that are intermingled with the stripper signs-these are the best they are for TOYS;)-kids can read those at a really young age!!

:rotfl2:Being a Georgian, I really get a kick out of this update!!
Construction and inept construction workers? We've got PLENTY!
I've noticed the signs before, mostly on the way to FL in south GA. We live just north of Atlanta and don't see many around here, but get down to Atl and below and WHOA! Kids don't even have to be able to read to know that those ladies are not dressed right--just ask my kids:rolleyes:.
I don't have a truck, but I do take good care of my mini-van:thumbsup2.
Something I've noticed about Waffle House--doesn't matter what area it's in, it will be a Nascar warp zone, complete with ladies and their Summer teeth. Something about that place draws the best people! Good food fast? Yes, and with some quick and easy people, too!

We had so many similar sights (of course we drove the same road I'm sure throught TN and GA) and I thought similar thoughts at the stripper signs and the construction!! We (especially my car-loving DH) always notice how old the vehicles are with NO RUST!!!

But you put such a humorous spin on it all!!!:lmao:

Call me naive, but I do not know "summer teeth." :confused3

Someday on a road trip, I am going to stop at one of the 200 outlet malls we pass by!! Even though there are three within an hour of my house, (I don't go to those that often either) I always want to stop, but we never do.

Ok....I'll be the one to ask.

What in the WORLD are summer teeth? :confused3
And just a p.s. NASCAR is nothin'. IndyCar series is where it's at!!

I find it ironic you mention the smoking, because here in NC they actually passed a state law a couple of years ago banning smoking from all establishments that could be visited by someone under 18 (at least, I think that's the fine print of the law). So when you walk into a restaurant here, you don't get an option. You'll be sitting in non-smoking.

:rotfl: at the car wash. There's one by my house that takes so long to "authorize" your credit card that my mom swears there's a little person inside who has to walk to the bank and ask to see your credit report.

There's also a Versailles (pronounced, as jedijill says, "Ver-sails" in Kentucky. We drove through on the way to Indy. I think we also may have passed Rome too.

Georgia has similar smoking bans-all restaurants are non-smoking (inside anyway) our county parks are even tobacco free (no dippin allowed either):cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1: Can you tell I am a proud non-smoker.

Gotta love the summer teeth:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter