Have to say I was a little disappointed with AKL Kidani

I am curious to know if the email confirmation of the reservation listed the request.

Usually, if I make a request, I am told "no problem" to make the request but that requests are not guaranteed. And then, on my reservation, the request is typically listed but has "NT GTD" next to it.

I am wondering if they would put "GTD" if it was in fact guaranteed. FWIW, I never expect to get my requests, but when I have I was pretty happy! :goodvibes

OP, hope your next trip is better. :flower3:

I have to agree with the OP that Kidani Village isn't my bag for several reasons the least of which is value for my dollar. Maintenance was a big issue for us...we never could get the AC to run lower than 74 and this is with having the maintenance team come to villa twice to see if they could help. The front desk was very helpful though in that they offered to move us back to the Poly from where we came but alas we stocked our fridge and would have had no place to store all our goodies. However, I will say that I work for a leader in orthopaedic implants and a trip to WDW would not be the first place recommended to go to one to several months after total knee surgery. Perhaps the seashore may have been a better trip for you at the time. Sorry you had so many problems and I hope your next Disney adventure will reward you with many magical times.

I sympathize with you, but 10 minutes away from a room in AKL would be on Osceola Parkway.

Was that necessary? If you have ever been to Kidani you would know it is a good 10 minutes one end to the other. There was no need to be rude.

OP, sorry you weren't happy, but requests are just that - requests. I agree that your original Savanna view room wasn't truly a Savanna view room, but they took care of that.

When I make a request and am told "No problem", I assume that means that the request is noted, not that I'm definitely going to get it. And JMHO, but I would have never planned on doing WDW so soon after knee replacement unless I was going to use an ECV.

We all put ourselves out here in a public forum to share info for others & to obtain info from others to help plan our stay. I have rec'd invaluable information from some of our Dis'ers!
That being said, not everyone agrees with people's posts, which are absolutely fine, & there's ways to make suggestions so the next trip can be booked without such difficulty as perceived by the O.P.
There isn't any need to jump on the negative bandwagon as so many threads wind up doing. Saying ppl should be thankful for their room category, start talking inside hotel lingo, etc.
sounds like she was being quite patient to wait for something that she thought was a possibility.we didn't hear about her screaming, demanding some sort of compensation, etc.
when ppl want to give info that's suggestive in nature, or informative, that's great! For some reason, it seems to head into the derogatory nature, condescending, etc.
I always think to myself-Would I say this to a person straight to their face & what would the reception be to my words? I feel like many people don't think about how their words may be taken or the tone for which theyre perceived.
I know that I want ppl to feel comfortable @ confident for the things that they wrote & not feel judged or attacked in anyway!
Lets give some Disney Love!!

OP, sorry you weren't happy, but requests are just that - requests. I agree that your original Savanna view room wasn't truly a Savanna view room, but they took care of that.

When I make a request and am told "No problem", I assume that means that the request is noted, not that I'm definitely going to get it. And JMHO, but I would have never planned on doing WDW so soon after knee replacement unless I was going to use an ECV.

That's exactly how I would take it. "No problem" means I will make a note of your request on the reservation. I'm sorry about your knee problem. It would have been nice if both rooms weren't so far apart, but maybe they are so booked that they can't move people around.

OP I totally get why you were unhappy, and you had a right to be so. I agree with what some have pointed out here, a request is only that, a request. But it seems like your interactions with a CM lead you to believe it would be .... no problem . I am also with you 100% about expectations at disney. This isnt some budget vacation destination, its a very pricy high end, for many, once in a lifetime, vacation. We should expect more, not settle for less and defend disney just because we love wdw and want to pretend they do no wrong.

Its very much like the animal towel thread, the people who say they want them or think they should be included have been attacked , why, because other people dont care about them, and so put people down for suggesting disney ought to up its service and ensure them.... despite the fact disney advertises them all the time. Of course those same people might throw a fit if dumbo was down for repair ... and we wouldnt give a care. People enjoy different aspects of a disney vacation, and for us to expect a higher level of customer service when spending the type of cash wdw takes, only serves to better everyones experi3nce.... to expect less will only ensure you, and we all, l get less.

Me: I would like to request a chocolate fountain in my room where the shower nozzle usually is. Can I do that?

Guy on phone: sure you can. I'll make a note of it on your reservation.

Me: so they'll know to make sure that chocolate comes out of my shower?

Guy: that's right! Got that request all set for you.

Me: great!

Guy: we sure are!

If I am told "no problem" in response to a request, then I expect it to mean "no problem, you will get your request". I should not have to read between the lines or scour a board like this one to determine that it really doesn't mean squat. They should flat out SAY that it is unlikely, (or slightly possible, or whatever) if that is what it comes down to. But of course they don't want to do that, because people might hesitate to book at all. Classic bait and switch, if you ask me, and not what I would expect paying thousands at Disney World.

I don't consider what the OP was first given to be a Savannah view room, and it's hard for me to believe that anyone one else would be happy if they put up the money/points and were given a view of a road.

Are you familiar at all with Kidani???? The exact room she describes which is at the end of the building overlooking the pool - overlooks the Pembe Savannah. That IS a savannah view room. It is a DVC only savannah which those in Jambo do not have a view of. For many that is not a preferred view as most people including myself and obviously the OP included would rather have a room on the sunset savannah. Thus, in the recommendation I gave, it is better to ask the front desk the room or bead location of your room before actually going to the room so if it is not what you want you can ask for something different.

Additionally, please look up the word request. As mentioned, the OP made some requests. These are requests not a GUARANTEE. At DVC, you can request specific things just as a lot of other people are doing. Disney will make note of your REQUEST. Disney will try to honor your request, but it is never a guarantee nor should it be taken as such. They get a lot of requests every day and they can't make everyone happy and guess what - everyone else with their requests are spending the same thousands of dollars that you are.

I am not someone who drinks the Disney kool-aid, however, in this instance they are NOT in the wrong. This is not a bait and switch. Although you may not want to "read between the lines or scour a board like this one" to find out the truth about these things, it is the responsibility of DVC owners to understand all aspects of owning and using their ownership. And, if you are put off by the fact that you can only put in a request and not get a guarantee and that will keep you from booking than great - more room for me.

I don't understand the draw to Kidani personally it's huge, the hallways are long (yes, I've walked them), the pool location is inconvenient, and there's no quick service (I don't cook on vacation). I think you are right to choose Jambo house next time. Sorry you had such disappointment in your accommodation situation.

I'm really sorry things didn't work out for you. I think you have every right to be a little disappointed. You have to be so careful about room views. At lots of hotels if you can even catch a glimpse of something they will categorize it as the next category up. Its one of the reasons I never pay for a "good view". You never know what you'll get.

As far as the requests go, I would have viewed "no problem" as we can do that as well. Arriving at 10, it seems hard to believe that they weren't going to have two rooms available together at some point when check in isn't until 4, but maybe there were just a shortage of guests checking out on that day close together. I can understand only being able to meet one of your requests, close or together, but to not meet either just seems like an oversight. It honestly sounds like they didn't take note of the requests at all, until you went back and reminded them. I wonder if they might have lost your initial requests. I've had that happen to me before. Even when I called two weeks before and confirmed they had them. Otherwise, you would think they would at least ask which request was the most important to honor if there was an issue with fulfilling both. I also think I read somewhere that the different types of rooms are on different floors, so if you were in say a villa and the other party was in a standard room, I could see where you would end up on different floors. But if that was the case, then they should have told you when you initially asked about it. I'd definitely just book one large villa next time over two rooms just to be sure.

OK - let me make this as clear as I can for those of you who continue to think that I have drank Disney Cool aid and seem to have thought my "demands" and "high expectations" were unwarranted............

I booked my reservations with FAMILY booking theirs MONTHS before I had knee surgery. Kidani may not have been the best choice. Yes I rented an ECV, but didn't expect to use it around the hotel as I'm doing VERY well walking around and have been since my surgery. However, Disney is not the vacation to push the limit. I also have a special needs child that can get overwhelmed (and so can I as his parent) so I called MS back when we booked and specifically asked "IS THERE ANY WAY we can REQUEST that the rooms can be linked together so they can be CLOSE TOGETHER in the hotel. The response "ABSOLUTELY - we can put a Travel With on both reservations and then the person assigning rooms will assign them in the same area as close as possible." That is USUALLY how I phrase things, because I don't know how some of you were brought up, but I was brought up to be POLITE, UNJUDGEMENTAL, and to ASK IF THINGS ARE POSSIBLE, and not be am obnoxious demanding rude individual, even when I am paying for things. So no, I did not walk around check in demanding things.
To me, "as close together as possible" does not mean the other side of the flipping hotel. But not only did I speak to Member Services at DVC to put the Travel With on the reservation, but it was noted on the on line check in spot, AND I called the hotel number DIRECTLY, and they noted it in what ever system they use on BOTH reservations (Yes I used both reservation numbers and spent 20 minutes on the phone with a lovely woman who's name I have written down in my type A notepad). And yes, that person ALSO said "this should NOT be a problem".
When we checked in they said that they had no idea what I was talking about, so moved the other party, 3 floors beneath us.

As for our non-savannah "savannah" view room. It was no where near a pool (FAR past it) and it was actually PAST the actual "savannah" that was after the pool. It was overlooking the FENCE on the end of the savannah. So no, while the room itself was in the "block" of rooms that was considered Savannah View rooms, this room did not overlook a savannah, and I did not want my special needs son trying to hang OVER a balcony on the 5th floor trying to look around a corner to see animals that were on this savannah. Were there animal there?? Yes- we could see them if we walked down the hall and looked out the windows between the buildings.

As for my having high expectations- my expectations are fine and I'm comfortable with them. If you feel I need to lower them, oh well. I feel bad for people who go through life with low expectations. I've lived through a lot and have decided that I will not settle because life it too short. You never know when something will turn and it is ripped away so when you want something and PAY FOR IT, then yes, you should expect it. Do I walk around life demanding the best of everything - absolutely not. If I did, I would trade in my special needs son for a "perfect child" and my part time job so I can take care of him for the high paying one I gave up when he was born. Don't judge my reasoning for expecting MY Disney vacations to be magical. Some people NEED that magic in their life once in a while, and when they start out expecting it and it's nothing but frustration, then that sucks a little bit out of it right from the get go. So yes, I have a right to be a little disappointed. I stated right from the beginning that the hotel staff was wonderful, the food, hotel, etc... amazing. Just the whole check in process and reservation process disappointed me. So I most likely will NOT stay there again, and would most likely stay at Jambo house. So shoot me.

I've never understood people that post something, and then get mad when everyone doesn't agree with them.

You were one of hundreds of guests with requests, and they did the best they could. From the perspective of a room assigner, your requests are no more important than another guest's requests. Sorry you weren't happy with the results, but in a system where the goal is to meet the requests of as many people as possible, someone is going to be unhappy. I'm sorry that this time it was you.

OK - let me make this as clear as I can for those of you who continue to think that I have drank ... stay at Jambo house. So shoot me.

I'd be upset too! When children/families are involved, WDW should accommodate proximity requests. I don't understand the "request" mentality. Room assignments should not be random, sounds like they were in your case. I've traveled with family or friends on three different occasions (BWV and SSR); rooms always adjacent or across the hall. I'd like to hear a CM's take on room assignments. Is it computer generated, first come first serve or what?

The corner Savannah View should be be reclassified as a "got lucky" Standard View. That view is a Savannah Tease. I've never complained at Disney but I'd insist on being moved too; glad they listened.

Don't let the Disboard posters upset you! You don't know these people!! This message board is for entertainment purposes; laugh about it. Really!

I don't understand the "entitlement" that some people feel that have when they spent "thousands" of dollars on a WDW vacation. you spent thousands and so did I. you work hard and so did I. you have family and so do I. you have limitations, so do I.
if you wanted an ocean room and paid extra for an ocean room, but you requested to be close to your companions who didn't want an ocean room, how do you suppose this is handled? you paid more for your room because you wanted special, but your travel mates didn't spent as much but you wanted to be close to them. so does disney upgrade them for free, or downgrade you?
as others have said, a request is only a request. I would complain if the shower didn't work, the sink was clogged or the overall room was not adequate. to complain because you didn't like that you weren't close to people who didn't pay for the same type of room you paid for is a bit over the top.
sorry

I don't understand the "entitlement" that some people feel that have when they spent "thousands" of dollars on a WDW vacation. you spent thousands and so did I. you work hard and so did I. you have family and so do I. you have limitations, so do I.
if you wanted an ocean room and paid extra for an ocean room, but you requested to be close to your companions who didn't want an ocean room, how do you suppose this is handled? you paid more for your room because you wanted special, but your travel mates didn't spent as much but you wanted to be close to them. so does disney upgrade them for free, or downgrade you?
as others have said, a request is only a request. I would complain if the shower didn't work, the sink was clogged or the overall room was not adequate. to complain because you didn't like that you weren't close to people who didn't pay for the same type of room you paid for is a bit over the top.
sorry

Bad example. We stayed with friends at VBR. Friends payed for ocean view and we did not; placed across the hall from one another.

"Entitlement" is inaccurate. The OP did not say she was entitled by contract with Disney to get her requests fulfilled. She was upset. Disney said "absolutely" and it didn't happen. Disney should have said "no guarantee." I wonder if the OP used online check-in; I recall you may list requests.

I did use online check-in and that was the "Third" place the request was noted. As for "how can two categories be accommodated? I asked specifically.
Our co-travelers had standard view requested- we had savanna view. We were told they would "most likely be" parking lot view across the hall from us and we'd be savannah view across the hall from them. Trust me- I asked many questions as I have never stayed here before. If they kept my friend's ORIGINAL room request and moved us to a room across the hall rather than upgrade them, then our requests would have been met. It just didn't make any sense to me.

I'm not mad that everyone doesn't agree with me, I just don't like assumptions being made based on a post. While I understand it's difficult to glean an entire situation from reading someone's post, it is just that- a post. I felt posting MY disappointment was a.) warranted as it is a community to express both positive and negative experiences to benefit others and I was originally asking if anyone had a similar situation that could have been handled differently to avoid the disappointment (perhaps my post wasn't clear enough), and b.) my experience could be helpful to someone that may be in a similar situation down the road considering Kidani for their EXTENDED family wanting to stay there.

It doesn't mean everyone needs to tell me to lower my expectations. I have no intention of doing so. THAT is the part that I don't like. Don't tell me how I SHOULD act, what I SHOULD expect. It's judgmental. I didn't ask you to judge ME or my expectations - just your take on the SITUATION. Too many people here have difficulty separating the person from the person's problem. People telling me they felt Disney did the best they could do - Thank you. People telling me that I'm asking too much. I don't think so. If you do, sorry for that, and you can continue to think so, but don't judge ME based on who YOU are and what YOUR situation in life is because you only walk in your shoes.

I'm saying when people state that they paid "thousands of dollars" for vacation they need to get something.. you get what you paid for. there are no promises

I'm saying when people state that they paid "thousands of dollars" for vacation they need to get something.. you get what you paid for. there are no promises

That's my take as well...I too would have complained about the first room not really being a savanna view, because via points, the OP paid for a savanna view room.

Other than, they were just requests. My expectations are that I get what I pay for, and anything else is just a nice to have. I don't consider that to be low expectations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter