Have I inadvertently stopped understanding the English language?

Thank heavens someone else said this! I have been going bonkers about the spelling and punctuation. OK, so I am a writer in the real world and my tolerance is way below everyone else's, but goodness gravy! There are some people on this board who have such horrible spelling, grammar and punctuation that I don't even bother reading their posts. They probably have some really good things to say, but it's like fingernails down a blackboard to me!

Grown-ups, take a few seconds to re-read what you've typed and fix some boo-boos. We lead by example. Kids, ask someone to read your post before you post it. You will only learn how to do better by receiving guidance. My to (oops, I mean 'two') cents!

Hi i saw this thread and would like to disagree I use english but on the internet
and with VMK having a limited chat space why do you think we say plz or ty or ttyl and with some players being kids like me i would say let them do it and by the way I only use that language on vmk where there is a limited chat space i use my normal chat on Boards because it looks better.

jasonpwns - I believe they were only talking about this because there is no limited vocabulary here like on VMK - VMK speak, I think is perfectly acceptable on VMK. But what happens is alot of the children talk and write like that in real life, not just VMK-Speak, but Text-Speak as well. Sorry becomes sry, people becomes ppl, even ok becomes just k! Its crazy!

My wife and I talk in instant messages when I am at work sometimes, and you have no idea how angry I get with her when she purposely misspells words and goes into text speak. It make her appear less intelligent and I know she is very intelligent and smart. Writing sentences like "wat m i post ta do?" makes the person appear not just unintelligent, but stupid. This is especially so when you know the verbage is coming from an adult.

threeboysmom said:
Be??? Again, I have to ask you this question...... Don't you have anything better to do??? LOL! Where are those boxes we talked about?? Get busy throwing them out! :rotfl2:

OK, I know I've done this before, so it's kind of lame, repeating myself... But, who else would like to hear what Pink would sound like as a Swedish Chef? (Click the link, and then select Dialectize...)

Nanoer said:
like ok but like no miss cuz like we like like out l33t so no ty but i think meh will stick with da coolio talk like yeah
Sorry Nano. But you sound like you have had almost zero education.
:teeth:

Or maybe you haven't. The education system in this country stinks. :rolleyes:

(You know I'm kidding you, right?)

JeanJoe said:
What was that you just said? I decided to translate your cryptic post into something that more readers here would understand.
Say what???

:lmao: :lmao:

Laurabearz said:
I had a teacher once tell me.... you can know everything in the whole world, but if you can't communicate with people what is the point of knowing it.... (yes english teacher lol)
Exactly!

DaraAllen said:
Grown-ups, take a few seconds to re-read what you've typed and fix some boo-boos. We lead by example. Kids, ask someone to read your post before you post it. You will only learn how to do better by receiving guidance. My to (oops, I mean 'two') cents!
When all my own knowledge fails, I use MS Word. Helps a lot to correct spelling and grammar. :)

JeanJoe has WAY too much time on the computer... Tell me, how long did it take to find the "dialectizer"?

Anyway, back on topic. It's obvious some people are too lazy to spell everything out. But other DIS'ers waste their time deciphering it... (It took me a minute to figure out everything in JeanJoe's quote.) On AIM, I type fast enough to type out everything while others slave over abbreviations... I have the reputation of fastest typer in my grade.

English is one of my best subjects, for a reason of course. I have a knack for spotting errors that even my OWN teacher missed!

JeanJoe said:
OK, I know I've done this before, so it's kind of lame, repeating myself... But, who else would like to hear what Pink would sound like as a Swedish Chef? (Click the link, and then select Dialectize...)

Oh.My.Goodness. I think you've given me the BEST laugh I've had in a
while! Not only was Pink's "dialectized" post funny, but the signature
information was priceless to read, too!

"Pink is woman, hear her roar" turns into "Peenk is Vumun! Heer her ruer"
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I have ascertained that the aforementioned composition, placed at the penultimate position of this thread, has indeed tactfully addressed one of a plethora of issues on this forum.

I likewise contend daily with the insufficient punctuation, unsatisfactory grammar and overabundant implementation of abbreviations. In addition, the consistent utilization of vague or obscure acronyms and substitutions, is exceedingly vexatious and establishes an irksome level of exertion to be imperative to the consummation of my daily examination of the verbosity in this forum.

Oh yaeh adn I fnid taht msot of Y'all kan't speel reely will iether ya mite tri a spill checkr wonce innawhile to. Cuase it is so vrey hrad too reed teh jnuk ya posst smetoimes i cna hradly raed it msyelf. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I try to use proper English. It can get hard when you haven't been in school for a month. ;) I think that the word "plz" should be out of the dictionary. I hate the word "plz" to no end. It is so annoying!

If it's like a normal mistake like forgetting an "s" on the end of a word, I don't mind much. If you post like this: Kewl! Plz give me urs infernoz!11! That gets on my nerves.

I like reading and writing because it can boost you vocabulary, which is something the kids of today need. ;)

CaptainBrain, who says that proper English is important!

I suppose i do understand the need to understand what you are saying, if that makes any sense what-so-ever.LOL. I think it is ok to use things like srry and pp, it is just easier for those who are in a hurry. Well you may notice that i do not use punctuation very often well for once in my life I am! I think its ok to use shortened versions of words but not so many codes people!! I understand lol and brb but my! Where do you come up with over half of these!

I try to speak proper English. I really do. I like using OMG and BSOD. I don't have a reason why, I guess I just like these 2 for some reason. I use acronyms on a daily basis in my job. Being in the same department for a few years you realize that no one outside of my office would understand a conversation between us! For example, "please move pn 457821 into CTNG for a K&N shipment to P41." This is what I sound like every day geesh.... :p

I agree too that some awareness of what some are typing from time to time would be appreciated.

This site is an informal setting so some abbreviations like BSOD, lol, roflao, and others that are common to everyone I believe is perfectly fine- but also agree that is it really that much more difficult to type sorry or please?

Punctuation- it would be nice for a little more to be used by some- some people's posts are so difficult to read because your brain is looking for these natural stops and there are none.

Another thing that is difficult to read is what I call the block typers- who often have a lot of good information but put it all in one big paragraph without much in the form of a break between ideas. Sure they may have punctuation and proper spelling but it is all jammed together and sometimes difficult to read on a computer screen- especially for those who are reading while doing other activities.

I have been a member of many boards- and one had a rule about the "Chat speak" in messages- and one moderator was really irked by it more than others- she would go around deleting the posts- I usually just made a comment about the post would be easier to understand and more may respond to their comment if they took the time to write it legibly.

Now I'd also like to say that everyone makes errors- you may have a few typos or words spelled wrong, some subject verb disagreements :-)) ), and other minor faux pas that really are understandible- I don't think anyone expects perfection from all- just take a little time to look at what you are doing -if you know you have a problem with spelling- then spell check before you send, reread to make sure you can understand what you just wrote.

And if you find you don't have the time to be considerate to others by doing these few little things- then maybe you should consider another way to occupy your short time instead of posting... just a thought there

Virtuallyme, maybe you should have started this thread because that is EXACTLY what I wanted to say. I agree with you Wholeheartedly! ;)

Very nice, that is what i was trying to get at but some people are better with words that me. lol!

VirtuallyMe said:
Another thing that is difficult to read is what I call the block typers- who often have a lot of good information but put it all in one big paragraph without much in the form of a break between ideas. Sure they may have punctuation and proper spelling but it is all jammed together and sometimes difficult to read on a computer screen- especially for those who are reading while doing other activities.
I will admit that I'm sometimes guilty of this very thing. I've always had problems with trying to figure out where end the paragraph! :teeth:

jasonpwns said:
Hi i saw this thread and would like to disagree I use english but on the internet
and with VMK having a limited chat space why do you think we say plz or ty or ttyl and with some players being kids like me i would say let them do it and by the way I only use that language on vmk where there is a limited chat space i use my normal chat on Boards because it looks better.

Not to be mean, but that was the longest run on sentence I have ever seen! You tried to use punctuation, but used it only at the end. I couldn't breathe by the time I got to the end. This is exactly what this thread is talking about. I understand that you are a kid. The point was that using this on vmk is one thing, but on boards, we should try to at least make sentences.

JeanJoe said:

Now this is the funniest site I have seen in awhile! Thanks for the laughs! :rotfl2:

I know this thread is over a month old, but I am seeing posts, recently, that are possibly even more ambiguous than before lol. Instead of restating myself, I thought I'd just post on this thread (to avoid repeats not just in threads, but what I write as well.) :thumbsup2

Wat is wrng with chu!? front, every1 types goods and nice. I don'ts understand when you say peeps type bads. can you pls helps me understands?! Tys. srry!

LOL wow it was very difficult for me to type like that. I have noticed that instead of real numbers, people are using words like to or tea. I have caught myself doing it a few times. I think vmk is making all of us dumber.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter