Have I inadvertently stopped understanding the English language?

Discussion in 'Virtual Magic Kingdom (VMK) Museum' started by Loves Disney, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Loves Disney

Loves Disney Department of Redundancy Department.<br><font colo

Or has the VMK section of the Dis picked up on a new found language? lol It seems like with each passing day, I understand some posts less and less.

I have noticed a huge lack of punctuation use...has anyone else? I have also noticed countless spelling errors. Now, I am not going to complain about how awful it is to spell something wrong because I know a forum is not a professional document requiring perfect spelling. Heck, I don't spell everything perfectly, but I have seen some posts get to the point of being undistinguishable and almost foreign sounding to me. lol.

I have seen this more common to the VMK forum so could this be a result of the VMK dictionary or just the game itself? (as it is a chat game).

On a forum, is it necessary to say "plz" and "ppl" etc? I know acronyms are a huge part of online chat, but in a forum, where you are given time to think about what you are saying, does it hurt to type out a couple more letters. I don't see the pain in writing, "sorry" instead of "srry".

Now, I don't mind the small mistakes, I just find it frustrating when what I am reading looks like a secret code...

I don't know, but I always find it interesting to hear what people have to say, I just wish some would find a way to say it in the language of the board they are posting on. I don't know if I am wrong to find it annoying when I can't comprehend even a sentence of a post. Is it wrong to want to understand what someone's thoughts are? If something cannot be understood, is what is written, a waste? Surely, I don't want any kind of thoughts wasted as every thought matters and is important.

As the days move forward, I can only imagine what language we will be speaking a year from now on this forum....(if we are even still here lol). :rolleyes:

This is just something I think needs to be thought about when posting here on the Dis and not just in the VMK forum section.

I am sorry if I sounded totally discourteous, I meant this thread in the best possible light. :blush:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cteddiesgirl

cteddiesgirl <font color=deeppink>Not invisible to the Tag Fair

Well, I agree with you. It is actually one of my pet peeve's when trying to read a post and there is little to no punctuation. Or every other word is in "short" form.
    And of course there's the wowidkhowtogetthisbutitsocool!
    Then there is the just plain indistiguishable language that just does not make any sense no matter how hard you try to figure it out.

I can't understand why some people don't care if they are understood or not.
    It also leads me to believe that some people are just plain ignorant. It's one thing when you're a child, but some of the stuff I've seen has been below what I think some of these kids should be capable of. But I do try not to judge them either by my own experience. I know that I was reading at the age of 3 and reading high school level books in the 3rd and 4th grades. But I know that most kids aren't like that. And I know that some people (kids and adults) have some slight problems with reading and writing. I also know that I'm not in any way perfect. Many times while typing I'll put ans instead of and. And many times while writing I've caught myself leaving the e off of the. lol And that's just a couple examples.

But it still boggles my mind on some of the poor grammar I've seen. And it's not just on this forum. I've seen it on several other forums and sites around the net (I should show you some messages I've been sent from adults).

If you can't take the time to make yourself understood in half way decent grammar, then don't be surprised when many people don't take you seriously. :)

4. HallGirl

HallGirl DIS Veteran

I have to agree with you, too. Forums aren't "chat". Everyone has the ability to read what they have written before they post, so why not check for stuff that doesn't make sense? You don't have to post quickly so there is no need to use shortened words like "ppl", "srry", or "plz". (I do understand using "lol" though.) If anything, people are reading the boards quickly and they don't want to try to figure out what one post is trying to say. (Loved the example you used, cteddiesgirl.) My personal pet peeve is the bad usage of "their", "there", and "they're".

5. lovethattink

lovethattink DIS Veteran

It's funny you brought up this topic. I caught myself three different times today either abbreviating or spelling a word the way I would in vmk. My grammar and spelling has gone progressively down hill over the past year.

6. Nanoer

Nanoer 1 kn0W @ l@Ngu4G3 tH3 T@9 F4IRY DOe5N'+ S0 1 c4N +

i only have one thing to say: ALIENS!!!!

7. jazstar87

jazstar87 <font color=<"red">According to the Tag Fairy's wa

Front it ok, you did use titles unstead of name today :rotfl2:

8. hdmonkeybug

hdmonkeybug The tag fairy doesn't like Monkeys?

Oh my God! I was just saying this earlier, in another thread! I feel ancient because I don't understand the language on here at all! It has been getting worse every day! I totally agree! Use punctuation people! Please! :teacher:

9. Nanoer

like ok but like no miss cuz like we like like out l33t so no ty but i think meh will stick with da coolio talk like yeah

10. Shaymojack

Shaymojack <font color=darkorchid>When I was little I used to

Seriously... I never have understood why "srry" is used. It is ONE LETTER LESS. Is it really that time consuming to type an "o"? But my talk in VMK has gone down... I have dropped punctuation most of the time. But I have respect for need of understanding on forums.

11. Disney Dreams

Disney Dreams Proudly afflicted with TDMA!

And the award for completely missing the point....

Ah, why bother? I agree with the original post. I participate in many boards and this one just spins my head when trying to decode it sometimes. And to be fair, I am not talking about spelling or sentence structure like English class. I dont even mind things like "ppl," just a basic attempt to be articulate.

-Disney Dreams

12. Nanoer

i dont get this me is meh... that's one more letter

13. OnceUponAStar*

OnceUponAStar* Future Imagineer :-)

I couldn't agree more with you, I hate using the short terms of words on forums, but that's just me. I think I only use the short terms of words on vmk, and not even on aol. My biggest pet peeve is words that are spelled incorrectly, my brain is like, oh that is suppose to be spelled and the list goes on. :-). I'm weird with things like that. :thumbsup2

14. maliboomer

maliboomer I don't believe in tag fairies ;).<br><font color=

wot r u tlking about.
    evrybdy uses gramma an spellin propa here, mabe ur confuzing us 4 some1 else, lolllll.

15. Loves Disney

Oh of course lol. Silly me for thinking it was here...lol. :rolleyes:

On a side note, it is kind of nice to see that I'm not the only who has noticed this lol.

Also, Hallgirl, I too understand the use of "lol". It shows emotion...I think I over-use it :rolleyes: lol.

16. UKVermonter

UKVermonter Mouseketeer

I have a friend that when I chat with him on MSN he uses symbols or I guess they are like the smiles that are used in this forum, and when he types they are very hard to understand and I have to stop and figure out what they mean. It should not have to be so hard to figure out what a person is saying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. JeanJoe

JeanJoe <font color=red>VMK Community Leader!</font color>

What was that you just said? I decided to translate your cryptic post into something that more readers here would understand.

18. Loves Disney

JeanJoe, you are too much! I am sitting here cracking up like an egg!! :rotfl2: Thank you for not only waking me up this morning, but also giving me a good laugh! lol.

19. Laurabearz

Laurabearz <font color=deeppink>I cant load my bobbin!<br><fo

I had a teacher once tell me.... you can know everything in the whole world, but if you can't communicate with people what is the point of knowing it.... (yes english teacher lol)

I do now, that I really have to watch my numbers now... when writing outside of VMK I still do on to tree for ive etc.... and have to reread very carefully or it slips in where I dont want it too....

as for 1337 I can read it, but I cant type it.

And for the record, I think Ressies and Preggo are fine to use.... :rotfl2:

20. surfcruiser

surfcruiser Por favor mentega se alejado de las puertas.

Eye too am dikruntulled abowt the schpelling an punchyouation awn thiz bored and ebery wear els? Runon sintenses dat nevor seam two ind and Butt eye am werking awn it. An gitting bedder aht mye schpelling ebery dae.

Seriously though, I really am a culprit. I find myself IM'ing in VMK-nese on a regular basis:

"I have a he add hurt."

"I really glove the new quest."

"I must have had a hunter red new messages.." <-notice only two dots in the ellipses.

You get the picture... and yes, I do lapse into it in everyday life. My son and I release the "Woot!" into the atmosphere for silly things like when the toaster pops up with breakfast. Not that that is a great indicator of a lack of vocabulary, just funny, as in ha ha, and weird too to people out of the VMK loop. I put it here merely to share a dry chuckle.

For some time I've noticed that with IM'ing and cell-phone-texting as part of normal 21st century communicae, a general downgrade in the use of punctuation, proper spelling, lots and lots of abbreviations, etc., etc.

ttyl,

21. threeboysmom

threeboysmom Our life is what our thoughts make it

Be??? Again, I have to ask you this question...... Don't you have anything better to do??? LOL! Where are those boxes we talked about?? Get busy throwing them out! :rotfl2: