• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Halloween is next Monday...NOT Saturday

So, if some poor kid knocks on a door at 6:45, does you community send in a swat team and arrest the scofflaw?

And does you locality tell people when the earliest dates they can put up Christmas decorations? Or do they ban them and insist on bland "winter festival" decor?

The degree to which some people have been mollycoddled into compliance with "celebrate our way or the highway" mandates put in place by petty local authorities never ceases to amaze me. ;)
Halloween
is October 31
unless you are
a sheeple

Wow, you're clever. :rolleyes:

Our light goes off at 6:15. Kids know they don't knock on doors with no front lights on.

Yes, Halloween is the 31st. Trick or Treating is the 30th. I'm sorry you can't see the difference. :)

My guess is that they all know what it's like and that's why they don't want to deal with their kids all day on Sunday. Much easier to ship 'em off to school the next day :lmao: (That was a joke.)

I'm surprised people wouldn't rather do it on a weekend then on a weekday. Seems to me like it would be a lot easier.

And nobody is moving Halloween. They're just moving Trick-or-Treat. Not necessarily the same thing.

See my earlier post about the origins of "Trick or Treating" and you will see that they are the same thing. One is linked as a traditional part of the observance/festival surrounding All Hallow's Eve, Hallowmas, and All Saints Day.

My area always has designated times (usually 5-7, but the kids tend to start about 4 though) but I've never heard of anyone trying to change the day. ToTing after school is part of the fun!

So, if some poor kid knocks on a door at 6:45, does you community send in a swat team and arrest the scofflaw?

And does you locality tell people when the earliest dates they can put up Christmas decorations? Or do they ban them and insist on bland "winter festival" decor?

The degree to which some people have been mollycoddled into compliance with "celebrate our way or the highway" mandates put in place by petty local authorities never ceases to amaze me. ;)
Halloween
is October 31
unless you are
a sheeple
No kid would knock on the door at 6:45 since posted hours were from 4-6.

Halloween
is October 31
unless you are
a sheeple

Color changed away from white.
Halloween
is October 31
unless you are
a sheeple

Nice. I don't think it's a matter of people not being able to think for themselves. It really amazes me that some people get so upset about what day trick-or-treating is done. The kids have fun no matter when it is... so as long as everyone knows when it will be, who cares?

Is Halloween considered a "major holiday" for some people? I can definitely see having a preference, but it amazes me that some people are getting so hot under the collar about something like trick-or-treat.

Color changed away from white.

Nice. I don't think it's a matter of people not being able to think for themselves. It really amazes me that some people get so upset about what day trick-or-treating is done. The kids have fun no matter when it is... so as long as everyone knows when it will be, who cares?

Is Halloween considered a "major holiday" for some people? I can definitely see having a preference, but it amazes me that some people are getting so hot under the collar about something like trick-or-treat.

I changed the color of the quote in my post, too. :)

I hope you've prepared your DD for the possibility she may be coming home with very few treats.
And WHY would I do that?

As I wrote before, no other parent I know will have their kids out on Saturday. They all agree that Halloween and trick or treating go hand and hand. If someone comes to trick or treat on Saturday, those will the children getting nothing from us and others.

My girl will be out with her friends and for the first year no parents on Monday night!!!

No kid would knock on the door at 6:45 since posted hours were from 4-6.

bigbrohalloween.jpg

And WHY would I do that?

As I wrote before, no other parent I know will have their kids out on Saturday. They all agree that Halloween and trick or treating go hand and hand. If someone comes to trick or treat on Saturday, those will the children getting nothing from us and others.

My girl will be out with her friends and for the first year no parents on Monday night!!!

Your choice. :)

In our housing development trick or treating takes place on the day of Halloween, school night or not. If someone came to the door on a day that is not Halloween, they would get a strange look and no candy (because I purchase the day of Halloween to ensure I don't eat any before then :rotfl:)

In the city I grew up in in NH we always trick or treated on October 30th for All Hallow's Eve. We did observe the lights on/off but it wasn't a rule just polite courtesy. I don't recall ever having a time but people didn't go right after school but waited until it was getting dark so probably 5-9ish. It worked well since there were halloween parties etc on the 31st or you could go to a friend or relative's city to trick or treat again on the 31st. The same city does July 4th fireworks on July 3rd but I think that was to save money and it gives you two turns to see fireworks if you go to another city.

October 30th happens to be my mothers birthday so we go visit. Yes my kids do trick or treat twice some years. In my city trick or treating is done on Halloween again no set time but typically 5-8ish on school nights. Here we also go by lights on/off. We never had young kids out before it was getting dark even if Halloween was on a weekend. Places like malls probably do have designated times but I've never heard of a neighborhood within a city having its own rules. I just know from my retail experience that stores are allowed to refuse to sell teenagers things like eggs, shaving cream, toilet paper etc if that is all they come in to buy around Halloween.

We used to get around the stores not selling to teenagers around halloween by buying eggs in august and storing them in my friends garage. You can just imagine the smell of them when they were broke open in october!

While I have never lived in a town that tried to change ToT day, I'd follow it but think it was stupid. The Towne Center near me is doing ToT on Friday from 4 - 6. I guess 1 is too young to take ToT, anyway, right? I mean, since he has no siublings, that is more or less me & DH begging for sweets from neighbors.

I only remember once when I was a kid the mayor (?) declared that ToT would be on Novemebr 1 or something because we had horrible, horrible rainstorms on Oct. 31. That was awesomesauce!

I think it's kind of funny that some people are so outraged if ToT isn't on 10/31 because kids really don't care what night they get free candy. :lmao:

I think it's kind of funny that some people are so outraged if ToT isn't on 10/31 because kids really don't care what night they get free candy. :lmao:

:thumbsup2 Really. I never knew it was such an issue. :lmao:

When we lived in West Des Moines, trick or treat was the night before Halloween and the kids all told a joke to get their treat. Here it is on Halloween night.

My guess is that they all know what it's like and that's why they don't want to deal with their kids all day on Sunday. Much easier to ship 'em off to school the next day :lmao: (That was a joke.)

I'm surprised people wouldn't rather do it on a weekend then on a weekday. Seems to me like it would be a lot easier.

And nobody is moving Halloween. They're just moving Trick-or-Treat. Not necessarily the same thing.

Don't be so sure about that!! Some idiot here is trying to change the "official Date" of Halloween here in CT.

http://brookfield.patch.com/articles/poll-should-ct-move-halloween

Our town is throwing our annual Trunk and Treat/ haunted house this Friday, but the neighborhood is doing Halloween on Monday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter