Halloween is next Monday...NOT Saturday

In our area all the towns change trick or treat night for the whole town. So if you stuck to Halloween night you wouldn't get anything.

All the towns don't do the same night though so a lot of kids will go twice in different areas (I never did Trick or treat near my house always with my nieces or cousins. My area was all hills and very few kids so alot of families stop giving out candy since no one really came.

Our town's TorT is Sunday 3-5. I really don't give a rat's behind which day it is, but for the love of candy corn I wish they'd at least do it after dark!! What's the point of putting up scary light up decorations, or carving pumpkins with candles inside if no one sees them at night??!!

Our town's TorT is Sunday 3-5. I really don't give a rat's behind which day it is, but for the love of candy corn I wish they'd at least do it after dark!! What's the point of putting up scary light up decorations, or carving pumpkins with candles inside if no one sees them at night??!!
Yeah that.

If you ring on our door or visit our house before Dark or at least the street lights on, you won't find us. Bad enough some want to change the day, but before dark? Perish the thought!!!

We must live in a really weird place. Our town doesn't get involved in when kids trick or treat.

:thumbsup2

We also must live in a weird place, because I can't imagine that anyone would care.

Yeah that.

If you ring on our door or visit our house before Dark or at least the street lights on, you won't find us. Bad enough some want to change the day, but before dark? Perish the thought!!!

Ours started before dark sometimes. It was generally done from 6-8 when I was young so the very beginning was just starting to get darker but it was dark by the end.

I think its nice that way though then if you have a smaller kid that is afraid of the dark you can go right away and stop early, bigger kids can stay the whole time and it will be dark by the end.

I am waiting for this thread to morph into "drinking wine while passing out candy" versus "how can you drink alcohol during a children's event you alcoholic". Has that happened yet?

For the sake of transparency I will be serving a Reisling and a Cabernet.

HAHA !! I always thought it was so funny my Mom and her girlfriend always drank wine while handing out candy . Our Dads trotted behind us. I rarely saw my Mom drink or her best friend. Halloween is the only time I remember and she still fondly remembers Halloween wine time to this day .
I have kept up the tradition , but unfortunately no wine for me this year , I will have to trot behind the kiddos as hubby is working . Bummer, sad to have to break tradition LOL.

Every city in this area that I can think of sets a specific day & time for citywide trick-or-treating. This year, it's Saturday from 6 - 8 p.m.

I'd prefer to do it on the 31st but I understand why it's easier on the weekend. And thank god they set a specific time... it would annoy the crap out of me to have people banging on my door all afternoon & evening and have to be hyper vigilant and paranoid about kids running darting out in the street while I'm driving the entire day.

I am waiting for this thread to morph into "drinking wine while passing out candy" versus "how can you drink alcohol during a children's event you alcoholic". Has that happened yet?

HAHAHA! This will be me. My hubby will be going along with the kiddos and all the other hubbies, pulling a wagon of beer behind him. Some neighbors set up shot tables for the adults. Its kind of a party atmosphere over here.

Oh... and for the record, we trick or treat on Saturday night here, after the Halloween parade, and I much prefer this. Doesn't interfere with any afterschool sports/lessons or most people's work schedules. There are official hours... I've indulged trick or treaters that have come outside of those hours, but really, they are usually the high school students who come in a football jersey or some other lame costume so I send them away with a reprimand that they need to at least make an effort if they expect candy.

Growing up, we always trick or treated on a Sunday afternoon and I wouldn't mind this either b/c then maybe I could send my kids out on their own to trick or treat, which to me was half the fun when you were a kid.

NOW, if you want to talk about what really gets my feathers up.... my school doesn't allow a Halloween party.... ended it a few years ago... so the kids don't get to wear their costumes to school which I feel is just ridiculous. Reeks of busybodiness.

Somebody tell me more about the Halloween parades in your community. That sounds fun!

And does you locality tell people when the earliest dates they can put up Christmas decorations? Or do they ban them and insist on bland "winter festival" decor?

The degree to which some people have been mollycoddled into compliance with "celebrate our way or the highway" mandates put in place by petty local authorities never ceases to amaze me. ;)
Halloween
is October 31
unless you are
a sheeple

Ya - in strict compliance with the local Holiday Gestapo.

Only in a minority of areas that allow this sort of totalitarian behavior. The majority of America does not ban trick or treating on Halloween.

And here is an alternative viewpoint: this sort of "here are the offical rules for when and how you can celebrate a Holiday" stuff only rears its unattractive head when the locals are too asleep to notice that local micro-management types with far too much time on their hands are at it again with their favorite hobby ...looking for more control over others.

Apparently, yes:

"The National Retail Federation predicts that Americans will spend about $6.86 billion on Halloween-related items this season. That's the most recorded in the nine-year history of the federation's holiday survey....retailers report that spending on Halloween decorations is now second only to what is spent on Christmas decorations.." :woohoo:

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/oct/25/b6-ct2-halloween-really-big-business/

How in the world can you compare putting up decorations to kids ringing doorbells and expecting candy??

Some sheeple aren't fond of anarchy. Nobody is telling anyone how to celebrate Halloween. They're just regulating the timeframe in which children can expect their neighbors to give them candy. Hardly the same thing.

Every city in this area that I can think of sets a specific day & time for citywide trick-or-treating. This year, it's Saturday from 6 - 8 p.m.

I'd prefer to do it on the 31st but I understand why it's easier on the weekend. And thank god they set a specific time... it would annoy the crap out of me to have people banging on my door all afternoon & evening and have to be hyper vigilant and paranoid about kids running darting out in the street while I'm driving the entire day.

That is what is like here too, but our time is 5-7. I live close to the IN/OH border and even the towns in OH near me have an observed time to TorT. It has always been that way, even when I was young, so it is nothing out of the norm for us.

I like the idea of it being on a non-school/work night. But I also like celebrating the holiday on the actual day too.

Oh, and we are one of those parents that do have a little drink while out and about. A little spiked Cider with Capt Morgan warms the bones!

I dont think any places around here have specified a day or time limit for ToT-- so we will be out Monday from about 6/dark until - we finish the subdivision! (yea right they always talk big but we end up doing about 10 houses and they are ready to come home)

I'm just like :confused: in this thread because I never heard of a city putting a time-frame on trick or treating (or a day) but most here who talk about having that- also are talking about drinking!

I've never seen anyone drinking while trick or treating or handing out candy here. The only drinks I see are Dunkin Donuts coffee. If a parent came by with a glass of wine in their hand, I'd have to not stare :eek:

But I'm in New England. We're kind of staid that way :rotfl:

I'm just like :confused: in this thread because I never heard of a city putting a time-frame on trick or treating (or a day) but most here who talk about having that- also are talking about drinking!

I've never seen anyone drinking while trick or treating or handing out candy here. The only drinks I see are Dunkin Donuts coffee. If a parent came by with a glass of wine in their hand, I'd have to not stare :eek:

But I'm in New England. We're kind of staid that way :rotfl:

I think they might be kidding - but then again, maybe not.. We would be the coffee drinkers.. Anything else - in the areas I/we have lived in - would defintely cause some eyebrows to rise.. LOL..

I think they might be kidding - but then again, maybe not.. We would be the coffee drinkers.. Anything else - in the areas I/we have lived in - would defintely cause some eyebrows to rise.. LOL..

Not kidding one bit lol. It is not unusual at all the see a beer in hand.. too hot for coffee in South Louisiana . Cajun folks enjoy their cold ones.

Somebody tell me more about the Halloween parades in your community. That sounds fun!

Not sure about the others, but ours is "just okay." It's a good opportunity to see lots and lots of costumes, but there's no floats or anything like that. Basically anyone who wants to participate, can walk the parade route from the public pool to city hall. Parents, neighbors, etc. line the streets to see all the kids (and adults) dressed in their costumes.
We've walked the parade with our kids some years, or just hung out on the sidewalk and watched on other years.
The VFW hands out goodie bags by the hundreds to all the kids at the end of the parade route. The police and fire stations also hand out goodies to the kids. Then everyone meanders off to do their trick or treating around town. Our church is located near the end of the parade route and hosts a party with games and prizes for the kiddos also.
It's basically the official start of the "trick or treat" time.

No, I am not kidding at all. The moms sit outside and hand out candy and drink wine. The dads take the kids, then come back to the house for a drink. It is quite festive and fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter