guide books??????????does anyone buy these?

I also use the Passporter, Birnbaum's, Fodor's for kids 2006, etc. But my personal fave (although it needs some updating) is Fodor's Walt Disney World for Couples by Rick & Gayle Permutter. It's a couple years old now but I still see it at the local book store and on Amazon.com. Our very first trip we went without kids and it was a Godsend. It rates the resorts & restaurants on their romance factor! So neat and different.

Thanks for the tip about using mousesavers codes for elsewhere - I'll check those out before I book for Canada for next August :goodvibes

I have the 2003 version of the Passporter used it this year for visiting WDW. It worked very well, giving me lots of tips that I otherwise would not have noticed. Of course, things changed during the two years but I used newsletters like All Ears to keep me in the know. I believe that these books are also terrific time savers which is essential in WDW. :sunny:

ado121 said:
ok. so now i am wondering if others buy guide books like me and did you buy one for disneyworld?

I have the Unoffial Guide 2006 (which everyone raved about and it is TOO much for me IMO). I also have the passporter (Luv it) and have preorded 2006 version. I have Birnbaums FOR kids BY kids and they love it--so do I and they feel like they are helping with planning.

Edited because I also have used www.touringplans.com (THe UG website) and it is "Ok". There is something much more "Disney" about the DIS, and Mousesavers etc--gets me more in the mood--while I think the UG has too many "Quotes" from people that I don't get to reply to! LOL

I mainly use this board, Tour Guide Mike, etc and just go from there...The books are great--but I think word of mouth and other's experiences really hits it home for me when I can see reactions and conversation.
:sunny: :flower: :sunny: :flower:

For our 2004 trip I bought 2 Fodor's books, WDW With Kids and also WDW For Kids By Kids. My then 6 yo loved the one for kids, had lots of cool pics. This year I got the Unofficial Guide (very comprehensive!) and the Passporter for Special Needs (we have a child with autism and also traveling with MIL who has mobility issues). Both of these are good. I also got the Birnbaums, which I didn't find to have a lot of detailed information, but it does have some neat WDW facts and lots of colorful pictures too, which the others lack. I've never had any luck finding current ones at our library, but I prefer to buy them anyway because I'm constantly referring to them. If you were only going to buy ONE, I'd go with the Unofficial Guide, just due to the wealth of information.

I also got my DD (then almost 13) the Birnbaums for kids by kids before our last trip and she seemed to enjoy it. I try to consult her alot in the planning- it's just the 2 of us, but she has this strange NO BREAKFAST RESSIE rule! :confused3

When I was planning for our first family trip in 2004, my brother-in-law gave me what he had which was a Birnbaum's and one for Kids. Even though they were 2000 editions I read them front to back. Then I learned of The Unofficial and Passporter so I got the 2004 editions. Learned so much and I think it is why our trip went so well. Even though we were there in June. So I couldn't wait to get the 2006 of the Unofficial Guide. Which I have as well as a Frommer's. I personally like the UG the best and my copies are worn. It's like my Bible.

I've bought both myself the UG and the Passporter. I like to keep the passporter and all my notes in it as a little scrapbook next to my photo ablum of the trip. They have both been loaned out a few times! :flower:

We have a couple of guides from the mid nineties on our bookshelf, back when we were relative newbies. Now we just have the PassPorter to keep my monster itineraries in. Every now and then I'll blank on where something is or need a phone number, and the Passporter's great for that.

I can sell ya the rest of the books cheap! :))

I bought the Unofficial Guide and Birnbaums the night before we left last year (my first trip). It would have been great to have them when planning, but there were still useful even late in the game.

We drove, so I had a lot of time to read. The Unoffical Guide is a little jaded at times (but funny!) and Birnbaums is the offical guide, so you get the offical Disney slant. It was good to have them both. They kind of balance each other out.

I don't remember for sure, but I think (at least a round-about way) I found the DIS Board when I visited a site listed in the Unoffical Guide. So, obviously that was a good investment!

I believe that both the Unofficial Guide and Birnbaum's are wonderful! My DS11 and I went with friends in April who were Disney experts and so I relied on them and didn't do a lot of planning. About a month before we left, I borrowed their books and learned so much. Time saving tips, $ saving tips, etc. I know that our vacation was enhanced by having read these guides. I don't know that I could choose one over the other as they are totally different --both overwhelmingly full of great stuff.

In fact, I just purchased both of the 2006 editions earlier today. Can't wait to get them to plan our next trip!

We really liked the Birnbaum's guide. It gives lots of info, plus color pictures that my kids liked to look at! LOL

I ordered the 2006 Unoffical Guide yesterday. Overstock has a good price on several of the guidebooks.

I always get the Unofficial Guide, and this year added the PassPorter. We only get to go about once every 4-5 years on average, so the books are very useful to us. So much changes every year!

Also, gives you something to read when worn out on the DIS!

We bought the Unofficial Guide for this year's trip along with the Passporter. I don't think I'd do a trip anymore without them...especially the Passporter since you can put all your important trip documents in the back pockets for plane & hotel ressies.

Kim

I Love the Passporter In fact I just got the updated one for 2006 Deluxe . Would not be without it . Very up to date and you can download updated pages as they come out after the book is pulished.

tinabheart said:
In fact, I just purchased both of the 2006 editions earlier today. Can't wait to get them to plan our next trip!
I have the '05 books as well and have been wondering if it is worth to buy the '06 editions. They seem to me to be mostly the same info with a few things updated. Any opinions?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter