guide books??????????does anyone buy these?

ado121

DIS Veteran
ok. so now i am wondering if others buy guide books like me and did you buy one for disneyworld?

I borrow them from the Library...if I need to look at something...I think they are great for 1st time or infrequent visitors...there is new information in them every year.

I like the unofficial guide and also the Passporter the best. I look for anything up-to-date I can get from the library because I usually fine something I haven't seen anywhere else. I was just there in Jan/Feb for two weeks after planning for a year, so I'm not so much into the guidebooks for my December trip, but normally I love the books!

I bought Passporter's Disney Cruise Line book for our upcoming cruise in January. No matter where I'm vacationing, I always buy at least one guide book on the location. I can't seem to ever get enough information about where we are going!

I'm plannning on getting the unofficial guide and the passporter, even if i just use them to read on the 14hr flight from sydney to la on the way to WDW :rotfl2:

Adrienne :wizard:

The unoffical guide is awesome. I have gone to Disney many times thorough out my life (Floridian), but for this past trip I bought the UG after reading about it on this board. It has great tips and is just a great book to get you in the mood for your DW trip. I would recommend you buy it!!!!

P.S. I had originally went to my library and borrowed the 2001 UG (the most recent copy they had) and then I happend to see the 2006 UG at Borders and noticed how much better it was, so I bought it. I am sure the difference between the 2005 and 2006 UG would not be as dramatic, but I heard the 2006 is layed out better. Plus it's great to be able to take on your trip, in case something comes up you had not thought about.

We usually get copies from the library as they seem to keep current issues at ours. This year I bought the Unofficial Guide after reading about it on Mousesavers and it seems to be ok. I just feel after going a few times the guides more or less just give you something else to read to get more and more excited about going.

We have a guide book from 2003 that we still refer to (and have loaned to others), and I recently purchased the Imagineers Field Guide, which we took with us on our last trip.

I purchased the Unofficial Guide for our upcoming trip next fall (2006). I worked at Disney through the college program, so I already knew a lot about it, but this book is still fun and interesting to read. It also does give you great tips about getting discounted hotel rates, etc.

My only suggestion is do not try to read this thing cover to cover. Major overkill. Just read the sections that relate to you and the parts that you are interested in. Even though I worked in the World I have learned a lot off these boards and the UG. :teacher:

:teeth: We used The Brits Guide (borrowed from a friend but I miss it now we've returned it :sad: )

I only read about Passporter much later, but if I had another trip in the offing I would get one of those with one of their $1 out-of-date ones for DS(6) to use

I found the guidebook a great help to planning used in conjunction with these boards, Allears and mousesavers :teeth:

The Unofficial Guide all the way. And I refer to www.touringplans.com (the associated website) frequently for updates to my 2005 Guide. We're going to WDW for the first time next month and I found the info in the Guide to be absolutely invaluable!

The Unofficial Guide and Passporter for me as well. Helped tremendously for my overplanning tendancies :sunny:

:bounce: I buy them for myself and my children. We read a little together everynight to get them excited for our next Disney trip :Pinkbounc . I also find that even though I've been to Disney quite a few time, I learn something new everytime! :earsboy:

I have about 6 that I look at daily! My goal is to learn one new thing per day about WDW that I did not know. I have gathered a wealth of info from them and this board! I'm asking for some more updated (2006) versions for Christmas! Yes, I'm obsessed...

We use Birnbaum's. We have the 2006 WDW book, the one for the restaurant, and I will be picking the one up for the kids. We just love them and read a little bit each day. Also, DS andDD-11, both LIVE on VMK. :rolleyes: We just LOVE all things Disney!
:Pinkbounc :earseek: :Pinkbounc

Birnbaums and Passporter are great. I was not crazy about the unofficial guide. The DIS and All Ears are great sources of online info. So is mousesavers.com. I go there just to get rental car codes, some of which I have used to rent cars at other places (for example, I went to San Francisco last fall and got an awesome rate via mousesavers' codes!)

Thought I'd add my 2 cents worth since one was not mentioned:

I use Fodor's WDW w/kids 2006
Birnbaums 2005
The Unofficial Guide 2006

Since planning my upcoming trip in May, I've been looking at the UOG most often, with Fodor's a not too distant second. Haven't found Birnbaum's as helpful as the other too, but I like their color pictures!

i love birnbaums..its organized really well and you can easily find what you're looking to read about and it has some great tips/information :) its very useful

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter