• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout

There's so much could do in future world and I think by the time Avatar is complete, that area will start getting some love too. Personally I'd like them to keep it educational

I'm sure it's been brought up before, but why not have Startup Tech companies pay for space within Innoventions. Then they can use that space to show off their new tech. Guests get to see cutting edge stuff that's going on and Disney can hold the startups to a 1 - 2 year contract (Disney being able to cancel at any time of course).

Now you have a building that will always have the newest tech, even if that tech never gets out of the proof of concept phase. Disney doesn't have to worry about updating anything, they just need to either seek out cool statups (and probably eventually purchase them if they like them so much) or startups get to have a platform in which millions of people from all around the world visit annually.

On second though, forget it, I'd rather walk through exhibits that are no different than my local science center.

I'm sure it's been brought up before, but why not have Startup Tech companies pay for space within Innoventions. Then they can use that space to show off their new tech. Guests get to see cutting edge stuff that's going on and Disney can hold the startups to a 1 - 2 year contract (Disney being able to cancel at any time of course).

Now you have a building that will always have the newest tech, even if that tech never gets out of the proof of concept phase. Disney doesn't have to worry about updating anything, they just need to either seek out cool statups (and probably eventually purchase them if they like them so much) or startups get to have a platform in which millions of people from all around the world visit annually.

On second though, forget it, I'd rather walk through exhibits that are no different than my local science center.

We actually just had something to this effect at the Orlando Science Center, it's called PolyCon. Considering how much effort the city of Orlando is putting into trying to make us into a tech hub, that might be a good idea...

Disney just recently opened a new attraction based on a movie made in 1939 and had no sequels or TV versions...so age itself doesn't really mean anything.

Perhaps, perhaps not. But popularity ought to, nay? That fact is the MCU is HUGE. Disney would be foolish not to include it in at least one of their North American parks. The problem is they have the Universal deal in Orlando (No end date? I realize that Marvel made that deal when they were on death's door but my contracts professor would have had me flogged if she found out I wrote a contract that sloppy), and space is at a premium in Anaheim. At the DL, the only way you get a new attraction is dead man's boots.

I get a lot of the trauma surrounding this move, I do. When I was a kid, I'd spend, literally hours re-watching the video from our trip to the DL, in particular the Captain Nemo's 20,000 leagues under the sea ride. I would watch it over, and over, and over again. I loved it. I particularly loved the part where the giant squid's eye is right outside the window, it was scary, and exciting and just like the movie! And now it's gone, replaced with a ride where they basically play portions of Finding Nemo underwater, with humans being able to understand fish because. . .reasons. I was bummed for a while, but on the last trip to DL, I saw this little guy, just around 4 years old, who was laughing his head off on that ride, and kept looking back at his mother like, Can you believe how awesome this is! He's probably at home right now, watching the video until his parents beg him to stop. That was when I finally let my squid friend go and I realized DL would be fine without him. (Before the wags on the board say it, yes, yes, I released the Kraken)

I posted the exact same thing in various threads back in May and June. My thoughts below:

I completely agree. Tesla, SpaceX, Hyperloop One, Hyperloop Technologies, Virgin Galactic, anything in the nano-space, anything in the biotech space, on and on and on....

I still contend that Innoventions at a minimum could be easily resolved by approaching a myriad of companies; Apple, Tesla, SpaceX, the Hyperloops, Virgin Galactic, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon, Google, IBM, Intel, etc, etc

I realize some are more flush with cash than others and perhaps I'm too optimistic. Get one in and I think others will want to follow, if done properly. SpaceX/Virgin Galactic overlay of Mission Space? I could see Facebook being integrated with Spaceship Earth on your return trip, linking it to your account and seeing some type of info on the globe (where your picture is now) when you exit? Bring back Wonders of Life with some biotech overlay?

The current product environment is not conducive to sharing technologies. Companies want complete control and say over how products are positioned, shown, and presented. Disney won't give that. Technology companies won't relinquish that. End of story.

Spaceship Earth is a perfect example. It doesn't present well, hasn't been updated in ages, and doesn't bring value to the Siemens. You want Apple to put an Apple Store inside of Inventions (just like Starbucks has)? They'll talk. You want Apple to fund a Disney controlled display space that showcases how Apple products can fit into making people's lives better, while Apple takes on the costs of keeping it fresh and updated - pending Disney's approval of entertainment, look, feel, and aesthetic? Keep dreaming.

Spaceship Earth is a perfect example. It doesn't present well, hasn't been updated in ages, and doesn't bring value to the Siemens.
You mean ride mechanism updated or the show presented to people?

As far as the show it was last updated in 2008 which was 8 years ago. Given how long it's been around I wouldn't call 8 years ages ago.

As far as value to Siemens it's kinda of hard to get value in the way I think you're thinking when you didn't build the thing you are sponsoring but at least you are putting your brand out there.

I guess my thought is just about every sponsored thing out there doesn't necessarily get "value" other than you recognize the name the next time you see it. If you actually built what you are sponsoring you can showcase what your company can do.

The current product environment is not conducive to sharing technologies. Companies want complete control and say over how products are positioned, shown, and presented. Disney won't give that. Technology companies won't relinquish that. End of story.

Spaceship Earth is a perfect example. It doesn't present well, hasn't been updated in ages, and doesn't bring value to the Siemens. You want Apple to put an Apple Store inside of Inventions (just like Starbucks has)? They'll talk. You want Apple to fund a Disney controlled display space that showcases how Apple products can fit into making people's lives better, while Apple takes on the costs of keeping it fresh and updated - pending Disney's approval of entertainment, look, feel, and aesthetic? Keep dreaming.

Maybe, but maybe not. Sometimes the marketing aspect (getting to show off your new technology to 30,000 people a day) can outway needing/wanting to sell right there in the park. I mean, they put on that Color lab that was sponsored and they weren't selling buckets of paint throughout the park. There has to be an end game to it, but I could see it working if the WDW execs got creative (which probably just killed my whole argument).

I still contend that Innoventions at a minimum could be easily resolved by approaching a myriad of companies; Apple, Tesla, SpaceX, the Hyperloops, Virgin Galactic, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon, Google, IBM, Intel, etc, etc

I realize some are more flush with cash than others and perhaps I'm too optimistic. Get one in and I think others will want to follow, if done properly. SpaceX/Virgin Galactic overlay of Mission Space? I could see Facebook being integrated with Spaceship Earth on your return trip, linking it to your account and seeing some type of info on the globe (where your picture is now) when you exit? Bring back Wonders of Life with some biotech overlay?

While I agree 100% with your assessment, it can't happen until Disney's sponsorship contracts change.

Tesla couldn't be in the park because GM is already there. Apple couldn't because HP was there (though they've ended sponsorship of Mission:Space), then Apple probably wouldn't be in the same space as Microsoft or Google because they're competitors.

Basically the entire sponsorship model for Epcot needs to be overhauled, and Disney should be reaching out to those companies for deals...which I don't expect to happen because they have no vision

FWIW, this article discusses relevant excerpts of the Marvel/MCA contract. I read it as saying that nothing Marvel (in the way of rides or attractions, not merchandise or movies) can go into WDW because of the 60 mile limit. But the East of Misssissippi limit would allow Marvel characters not being used by Universal to go into an east coast park away from the greater Orlando area.

FWIW, this article discusses relevant excerpts of the Marvel/MCA contract. I read it as saying that nothing Marvel (in the way of rides or attractions, not merchandise or movies) can go into WDW because of the 60 mile limit. But the East of Misssissippi limit would allow Marvel characters not being used by Universal to go into an east coast park away from the greater Orlando area.
As far as I know Guardians can go into WDW because it is not being used by Universal and its not under the Avengers family.

As far as I know Guardians can go into WDW because it is not being used by Universal and its not under the Avengers family.
And the X-Men family. This is why I don't think that Universal will get rid of the X-Men items to add another Marvel group as someone suggested earlier.

Here is the excerpt of the contract that helps explain Guardians can be used.

"(S)uch exclusivity shall be limited as follows:
i. East of The Mississippi - any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted. [For purpose of this subsection and subsection iv, a character is 'being used by MCA' if (x) it or another character of the same 'family' (e.g., any member of THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS or villains associated with a hero being used) is more than an incidental element of an attraction, is presented as a costumed character, or is more than an incidental element of the theming of a retail store or food facility; and, (y) in addition, if such character or another character from the same “family” is an element in any MCA marketing during the previous year. Any character who is only used as a costume character will not be considered to be 'being used by MCA' unless it appears as more than an incidental element in MCA’s marketing.]"

Here is the excerpt of the contract that helps explain Guardians can be used.
And here's the part that might say it can't:

iv. To the extent and in the territories that MCA has exclusive theme park rights, such shall not prohibit (except for the limitations described below) Marvel from itself developing or licensing its planned Retail concept which may include interactive elements as a major or minor element (presently intended to be called “The Marvel Action Universe” and referred to as such herein, but which may also be called “The Marvel Universe” or another name chosen by Marvel). The Marvel Action Universe will consist, inter alia, of the sale of comic books, trading cards, software, licensed or Marvel produced merchandise, the use of electronic games and/or pinballs or other coin operated games, and may include one or more virtual reality and/or simulator ride using Marvel characters or other themes. The following restrictions shall apply to The Marvel Action Universe (or elements thereof whether owned or licensed by Marvel).

Restrictions as to the geographic location of The Marvel Action Universe in areas where MCA has exclusive rights hereunder.

a. The Marvel Action Universe will not be within 60 miles of any Universal Theme Park with a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE

b. Mini-theme parks, recreation centers, game centers and the like designated with the Marvel name or the name of any Marvel characters or any major entertainment component of a Marvel Action Universe such as a motion based film ride shall not be within 60 miles of any Universal Theme Park with a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE.

iii. Within the ADI market of the city containing a Universal Theme Park (even to the extent such ADI exceeds a 60 mile radius) there shall not be a Marvel themed simulator ride.

a. Restrictions as to elements of The Marvel Action Universe in areas where MCA has exclusive rights hereunder.

b. The Marvel Action Universe will not be within any theme park, nor marketed in conjunction with any theme park. For purposes of these restrictions, an area of 10 acres or less will not be deemed a theme park. An area in excess of 10 acres may or may not be deemed a theme park based on its overall characteristics.​

The boldface highlights the separate 60 mile rule. The italics open up the confusion: do the limits on the Marvel Action Universe (i.e., the rights retained by Marvel) apply to all things Marvel or just the same characters limited by the provision you cited?

And here's the part that might say it can't:

The boldface highlights the separate 60 mile rule. The italics open up the confusion: do the limits on the Marvel Action Universe (i.e., the rights retained by Marvel) apply to all things Marvel or just the same characters limited by the provision you cited?
I've always found it to mean the same characters limited by the provision I cited. It seems most interpret it that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter