Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout

LOL!! Ok!! Nice change of subject -- wasn't going so well, I guess!
Just an observation. You've already muddied your position in this thread with "stats" and "facts" that you have little to back up with. You got some to bite so I'll give you a 2/10.

Well designed, popular and entertaining.... but still a bit lacking in magic though.

I agree that the ToT reskin is an awful decision, but TSMM is an awesome attraction. It has "Disney Magic," just a different sort. It's one of our family's favorite rides at WDW.

The problem with Iger is that he doesn't have the passion for what he is doing. It was Walt's passions that drove Disney for so long and they are missing that driver right now. I think the last real passion project we have seen from Disney was Animal Kingdom. Iger only came in to be a steward and keep things going and he did what he could for the company, which was business acquisitions. But he is not a man with dreams and passion for what he runs. What Disney or any company really needs to grow is a leader with passion. There must also always be a Roy, though. If a passion person does lead again there needs to be that person that can reign them in and keep things running.

Disagree. Iger has plenty of passion - to run a Fortune 100 company (soon to be Fortune 50). He's just doing what his shareholders hired him to do. I do wish that he could multitask: raise the value of the company, while keeping the creativity level high. That, he seems to have a problem with.

May I offer a contrarian opinion, or is this the wrong crowd for that? This was the BEST business and guest service decision Disney has made since purchasing Star Wars.

1. This is an overlay for DCA. Those complaining about WDW, should take note. Having said that, yes this is *probably* a test run for changes that will eventually come to DHS, because I'm pretty sure license agreements like the one Universal has are not generally self-extending but have a definitive end date.

2. This overlay is a harbinger of future construction, so we shouldn't be complaining about "new" rides versus overlays of "old" rides. Disney has all but confirmed that they will be expanding DCA into the parking lot just outside of ToT and either clipping Hollywood Blvd just outside of this attraction, or possibly in front of the current Hyperion Theater for a new "Marvel land". This means more rides for all and with "MORE" coherent theming, not less. All of the new rides will connect to the MCU, which is important because. . .

3. Twilight Zone is not original IP. Twilight Zone is a very old, dying IP created by CBS (Frankly, "dying" is being diplomatic. There was a TV show around the turn of the millennia that lasted 1/2 a season. Prior to this there was a TV show that BARELY made it to 100 episodes, solely so they could syndicate reruns. Prior to this there was a movie that was a simple re-hash of stories from the 60s that did just OK). This means that Disney will have to continue paying royalties for a property fewer and fewer people care about, (Honestly, I'm a sci-fi fan from Asimov to Zahn and back again, and my reaction to the Twilight Zone is. . .*Meh*) all while having little to no presence for one of their best loved and most valuable properties.

4. For all the sturm and drang surrounding "everybody" hating this decision, DHS has the lowest park attendance of any Disney park. So, not to be rude, but where are these legions of angry park goers? By contrast, 4 of the top 20 highest grossing films of all time were part of the MCU. There is a ton of fan love for the MCU including GotG. Again, not to be rude, but ask people under 30 which they'd rather have-- an MCU based series of rides or one based on IP that had its salad days in the 60s. I think Disney has made one of its most savvy, forward thinking moves in quite some time.

Anyways. . .First post!

May I offer a contrarian opinion, or is this the wrong crowd for that? This was the BEST business and guest service decision Disney has made since purchasing Star Wars.

1. This is an overlay for DCA. Those complaining about WDW, should take note. Having said that, yes this is *probably* a test run for changes that will eventually come to DHS, because I'm pretty sure license agreements like the one Universal has are not generally self-extending but have a definitive end date.

2. This overlay is a harbinger of future construction, so we shouldn't be complaining about "new" rides versus overlays of "old" rides. Disney has all but confirmed that they will be expanding DCA into the parking lot just outside of ToT and either clipping Hollywood Blvd just outside of this attraction, or possibly in front of the current Hyperion Theater for a new "Marvel land". This means more rides for all and with "MORE" coherent theming, not less. All of the new rides will connect to the MCU, which is important because. . .

3. Twilight Zone is not original IP. Twilight Zone is a very old, dying IP created by CBS (Frankly, "dying" is being diplomatic. There was a TV show around the turn of the millennia that lasted 1/2 a season. Prior to this there was a TV show that BARELY made it to 100 episodes, solely so they could syndicate reruns. Prior to this there was a movie that was a simple re-hash of stories from the 60s that did just OK). This means that Disney will have to continue paying royalties for a property fewer and fewer people care about, (Honestly, I'm a sci-fi fan from Asimov to Zahn and back again, and my reaction to the Twilight Zone is. . .*Meh*) all while having little to no presence for one of their best loved and most valuable properties.

4. For all the sturm and drang surrounding "everybody" hating this decision, DHS has the lowest park attendance of any Disney park. So, not to be rude, but where are these legions of angry park goers? By contrast, 4 of the top 20 highest grossing films of all time were part of the MCU. There is a ton of fan love for the MCU including GotG. Again, not to be rude, but ask people under 30 which they'd rather have-- an MCU based series of rides or one based on IP that had its salad days in the 60s. I think Disney has made one of its most savvy, forward thinking moves in quite some time.

Anyways. . .First post!
Nice post, even if I don't agree. ;)

1. An overlay of an attraction that people like will always cause controversy. Always.

2. I will believe that coherent theming when I see it.

3. Twilight Zone is an old IP but far from dead. Besides older IP is a mainstay of Disney - see Mickey and friends and Winnie the Pooh.

4. Lowest attendance because the park is bad or because it is missing Marvel? Besides Marvel is rumored to go into Epcot where it won't fit at all. Epcot is turning into a confused jumbled mess of...something. DHS is moving toward a Ride the Movies approach (now where did they get THAT idea?) and I personally don't have a problem with that.

There is no definitive end date laid out in the contract.

1. As rteetz said, the agreement AFAIK does not have an end date.

2. I don't believe GOTG is part of the agreement with Universal. The agreement with Universal, as I understand it from numerous discussions on here as well as the podcast, is that Universal owns the theme park rights to the Marvel characters that currently have rides in their park, as well as the families of characters that connect to those rides. (So even if there's no Capt. America ride, since they have a Hulk ride, and Hulk and Capt. America are both Avengers, then Capt. America is a no go inside WDW). I could be wrong, but as far as I understand it, Universal does not already have a character family that connects to GOTG, which would make that IP open for Disney to use in WDW.

Frozen Ever After uses the same exact vehicles, ride system, and track as Maelstrom. The only thing they changed was the theming of the rooms inside it. There is no way it's more complicated than the proposed changes for ToT. Just based on the artwork, the exterior alone is more complicated...I would normally say, nobody knows what they're going to do to retheme ToT, but with that short timeframe, I would say the answer is "not much" and "slap-dash" and "cheap".

My guess is that there might be less animatronic figures in this new Guardians version than there were for Frozen Ever After and that may be part of why the downtime is so much less.

I'm not thrilled with the news of this change, but I am happy that at least it seems the closure won't happen until 2017. That gives us a chance to ride TOT in November that we didn't think we'd get when the rumors said it would close in September.

I think there are more unhappy people these days compared to the days pre 2012 let's say. MyMagic+ made people upset, then frozen in Norway made more people upset, and now this...

Guardians should get its own brand new ride just like frozen should've but no they continue to just retro fit existing attractions.

ITA with this. I want to see GOTG in the park, but I don't like this shoe-horning it into fit TOT. Give the IP its due with an attraction that makes sense for that IP. Give the imagineers the opportunity to truly imagineer something incredible, rather than downgrading them to interior/exterior designers (wrt to the TOT changes, which seem to be largely cosmetic apart from adding the randomizer from WDW).

Disagree. Iger has plenty of passion - to run a Fortune 100 company (soon to be Fortune 50). He's just doing what his shareholders hired him to do. I do wish that he could multitask: raise the value of the company, while keeping the creativity level high. That, he seems to have a problem with.
Honestly I know I'm going to get beat up with this post and I might as well say my goodbyes saying this but: I think Iger was absolutely terrific. Sure he can't multitask (focusing on DCA which neglected others and we all know the neglect Shanghai gave to others) but considering how much Disney was broken when he came in he fixed so much of it. The animation is now extremely desirable and they've been able to attract male fans now with Marvel/Star Wars. Sure they might not be perfect but I much rather take this than Home on the Range/Chicken Little/2003's Haunted Mansion/etc. Movies especially, theme parks is debatable but I think he's done good, just narrow minded, and the other departments I honestly tend to ignore so I can't comment on whether or not they've been improved.

Well considering that the truth came out I want to say it was now knowing all of you and hopefully you can be a little kind by gently peeing on my grave instead of the full blown destroying my tombstone/undigging my body and putting it through a sawmill/forceful peeing/etc.

Thanks a lot!

-PuppyJonathan

Anyways. . .First post!

Disney just recently opened a new attraction based on a movie made in 1939 and had no sequels or TV versions...so age itself doesn't really mean anything.

THIS. Why not just build it in WOL instead?

Ellen's is an "attraction" and Wonders of Life is "empty". If you were to build the new ride in Wonders of Life you'd still have the same situation, just with the buildings switching. Wonders of Life would hold the attraction and Ellen's would basically be empty (meaning the amount of people going through that ride wouldn't make it worth it to be open).

Also, as @Whatsthegoodword mentioned, having Wonders empty allows Disney to have a free venue for whatever event wants to pay to use it.

Ellen's is an "attraction" and Wonders of Life is "empty". If you were to build the new ride in Wonders of Life you'd still have the same situation, just with the buildings switching. Wonders of Life would hold the attraction and Ellen's would basically be empty (meaning the amount of people going through that ride wouldn't make it worth it to be open).

Also, as @Whatsthegoodword mentioned, having Wonders empty allows Disney to have a free venue for whatever event wants to pay to use it.

Thats a lot of real estate to just leave empty for special events. Why not stick them in the Odyssey building? Or Innoventions is pretty empty :thumbsup2

Thats a lot of real estate to just leave empty for special events. Why not stick them in the Odyssey building? Or Innoventions is pretty empty :thumbsup2

I like Innoventions being empty. Helps keep my walk cool and spacious to The Land :)

There's so much could do in future world and I think by the time Avatar is complete, that area will start getting some love too. Personally I'd like them to keep it educational

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter