• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Guardians of the (Epcot) Galaxy

I haven't stepped foot in Energy in over 10 years and was planning on doing it during my upcoming Sept. trip, fingers crossed it's still open then so I can get a last one in. I'm on a mission to do things I either haven't done in a while or never, and yes after over 33 years of going there are still things I haven't done yet.

Either Disney execs feel that it's impossible to renovate and expand Epcot on the basis of corporate and international sponsorships any longer and despite all efforts they will never succeed in making bridges to the health care and energy industries, or to foreign governments and tourist authorities ...

Or, they simply don't give a flying **** about the history and theme of Epcot and feel that sponsorships and partnerships would be throwing money away that they could be making by using the park as kind of a used car lot or retail jobber for cashing in on (or "moving") leftover Disney properties which although temporarily popular, are not worth the effort and expense of building a proper attraction in an appropriate location.

I think it is somewhat in the middle ... the original plan/structure of sponsorships to cover the cost of educational pavilions/word's fair type setting is dead. But with DHS under major construction for at least a few more years they can't just close all of Future World to completely redo it (nor do they want to spend that much money) so figuring ways to loosly fit in new attractions to draw some crowds and then come up with a way for it to fit (Futuristic, discovery, etc.)

I read it might be Mission: SPACE getting the GOTG retheme. I don't know that I would like that, but I do not mind the addition of GOTG to Epcot in an unused pavilion or even over the place of Energy.

I also read they might bring the TRON Lightcycle coaster to Future World. Now, that I'll take! It could even have an EPCOT-style computer theme for the EPCOT purists, like a post-show that shows the evolution of computing through the years. Sign me up!

I read it might be Mission: SPACE getting the GOTG retheme. I don't know that I would like that, but I do not mind the addition of GOTG to Epcot in an unused pavilion or even over the place of Energy.

I also read they might bring the TRON Lightcycle coaster to Future World. Now, that I'll take! It could even have an EPCOT-style computer theme for the EPCOT purists, like a post-show that shows the evolution of computing through the years. Sign me up!
That rumor is false. Parkscope is incorrect with that information according to everything I've seen. Mission space is supposed to get updates but the theme will stay.

Tron was discussed by imagineers apparently but that was also shot down for Epcot.

That rumor is false. Parkscope is incorrect with that information according to everything I've seen. Mission space is supposed to get updates but the theme will stay.

Tron was discussed by imagineers apparently but that was also shot down for Epcot.

The article was just posted today on WDW News Today. I am glad the Mission: SPACE retheme is unlikely. I don't mind GOTG getting an attraction, but they don't need to shoehorn it in where it doesn't belong. I'll still vote for the TROn ride if they reconsider.

I could see Guardians of the Galaxy in a "Sci-Fi" concept for Future World and possibly having more of the "sci-fi" vs "science" concepts moving in...a "futuristic" world, not a future one. Then, you bring in supers, aliens, new worlds, etc...

I have no doubt that this is how the GotG makeover is being sold within Disney. But let's face the facts and be honest with ourselves - there is no reason to think that they will be any more faithful to the theme of Futuristic World as they were to Future World.

At the very best, you are going to experience a decades-long, jumbled, senseless, mish-mash of attractions with a GMO sponsored boat ride through a tomato farm sitting next to a dolphin based stunt show based on a reboot of The Man from Atlantis that had a nice summer box office run two years previously.

It's called "jumping the dolphin" ... and it'll end in the same way.

I have no doubt that this is how the GotG makeover is being sold within Disney. But let's face the facts and be honest with ourselves - there is no reason to think that they will be any more faithful to the theme of Futuristic World as they were to Future World.

At the very best, you are going to experience a decades-long, jumbled, senseless, mish-mash of attractions with a GMO sponsored boat ride through a tomato farm sitting next to a dolphin based stunt show based on a reboot of The Man from Atlantis that had a nice summer box office run two years previously.

It's called "jumping the dolphin" ... and it'll end in the same way.

Oh, I agree with you again...but they could TRY to keep to the future/futuristic concept...or rename it to IPCOT like rteetz already mentioned (it actually would be a theme they might be able to stick to for more than 5-10 years)...

Probably in the minority here but it will be sad to see the Ellen ride go. It's been a staple for our family on every trip we go on and we quote it constantly. I know it's outdated but there's a lot of nostalgia that comes with that ride. Oh well, on to new, and hopefully, better things.

The article was just posted today on WDW News Today. I am glad the Mission: SPACE retheme is unlikely. I don't mind GOTG getting an attraction, but they don't need to shoehorn it in where it doesn't belong. I'll still vote for the TROn ride if they reconsider.
I haven't seen it from WDWNT but I know Parkscope was reporting it too.

Possibility that Ellen's energy adventure could close as early as September.
I don't have the emotional attachment to Ellen's Energy Adventure as I do other rides even though I think we went on it whenever we were in Epcot (it was a way to get out of the heat and take a mini break from being on your feet..I also like dinosaurs too so it wasn't the bore to me as it was to others). But I do have a question..any idea if this will be a less than a year or more like a 2-5 year project?

I would be a tad disappointed if DHS, AK and Epcot had major construction going on when I go next September. Not sure what parts of Pandora they will have ready for next September (here's hoping it's all ready cuz that would make me a happy camper).

I'm wondering if this all does pan out if they will end up thinking about renaming the area. I would hate for Epcot name to go away but I can see them renaming certain areas to fit in with the direction they are going. Disney does some grey area work when it comes to sticking with the intended themes set up but renaming areas happens from time to time in theme and amusement parks in general as times change.

I agree with this since I've made the previous point it seemed Disney was moving away from the original concept of EPCOT Future World, since they pretty much stopped updating it and just started closing attractions and/or letting outdated ones just continue as shells of themselves. I could see Guardians of the Galaxy in a "Sci-Fi" concept for Future World and possibly having more of the "sci-fi" vs "science" concepts moving in...a "futuristic" world, not a future one. Then, you bring in supers, aliens, new worlds, etc...

It's not one I like, but I can see the writing on the wall...
Being the big sci-fi nut that I am, I have no problem with this concept whatsoever. It seems the corporate sponsorship is done so let's move on to the next thing. I was there the year EPCOT opened and have been many times since and I, for one, would be excited to see something like that.

I'm wondering if this all does pan out if they will end up thinking about renaming the area. I would hate for Epcot name to go away but I can see them renaming certain areas to fit in with the direction they are going. Disney does some grey area work when it comes to sticking with the intended themes set up but renaming areas happens from time to time in theme and amusement parks in general as times change.

Well, in the plans for Project Gemini they would have changed it to Discoveryland - with the idea being rather then educational it would be areas to "discover"

Being the big sci-fi nut that I am, I have no problem with this concept whatsoever. It seems the corporate sponsorship is done so let's move on to the next thing. I was there the year EPCOT opened and have been many times since and I, for one, would be excited to see something like that.
It could be a great concept, but there is no evidence to indicate that just because they insert one new sci-fi based ride into Future World they will establish a new theme for the land ... and stick to it.

Recent history (since approximately Y2K) points to the "random, opportunistic hodge-podge" approach.

And they already have a "Futuristic Land" ... except it's named "Tomorrow Land".

Belief in Disney's faith in the value of consistent theming and making long-term plans for long-term gain is not justified.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter