Great Wolf Lodge Kansas

The best attraction between Denver and Topeka is the Kansas Cosmosphere & Space Center in Hutchinson, Ks. Unfortunately it's 65 miles south of the interstate. It has the largest collection of Russian/Soviet space artifacts outside of Moscow, including Sputnik 1 and 2. They refurbished the Apollo 13 and Liberty Bell 7 spacecrafts here and have them on exhibit. It's a world-class museum and we try to make it there every few years.
I've never even considered stopping at the prairie dog place, it screams tourist-trap!
Science City was always been one of my kids favorite places to go when we would go to KC. Lots of hands-on activities for the kids and so much to do we usually ended up running out of steam before we saw all the exhibits.

If you stop at the Cosmosphere then I would recommend staying a night at Hedricks Exotic Animal Farm. We went there for a weekend and had a blast! We didn't do the Cosmosphere but wish we had. We plan to go back. They are close enough to do both. We stayed in the Pride of Kansas Suite.

http://www.hedricks.com/

We stayed at GWL July 2012. We had a split stay between CoCo Keys and GWL. (Won't ever go back to CoCo Keys) We had a blast at GWL. The location is great. There is a Target down the road. There is lots of places to eat too if you don't want to pay the high prices at GWL. We did eat at TRex for the kids. We took the kids to Worlds of Fun and Oceans of Fun. We wanted to catch a baseball game but the Royals were playing away. We did go to Legoland Discovery but were disappointed. We ate at Fritz and the kids loved it. The train drops your food at your table. We looked up videos online to get the kids excited to eat there. We purchased the paw pass for the kids at GWL. If we go back we will plan to spend most of our time at GWL. The kid's loved the magic wands. Between swimming and the wands they were upset when we wanted to go to do other things. Enjoy your trip!

WOW! Just checked, the prices are quite high for Spring Break week. I just got an email from them and of course that week is not incl for the 48 hr sale. I originally thought I would use a code, so I will have to do a search for one. But I'm not happy hearing this location may be run down.

Our other option is maybe going to the Mt. Rushmore area. We've been a couple times before and enjoy it, but wanted to try something new. I did find a couple of hotels with indoor waterparks (less expensive). The Magiquest looked cool for the kids and even the story time clock, but if its not working we would be bummed. I'll have to check out TA.

:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

I have seen people mention Deanna Rose Farmstead. It does not open until April 1st, so if you are coming in March, count that out.

There is also a Dave And Busters at the Legends (right by GWL) that my 9 and 11 year old kids LOVE to go to.

Worlds of Fun, the amusement park mentioned in an earlier post, opens on the weekends starting April 13th.

We also have a new SKY ZONE that opened up about 15~20 minutes from GWL in Shawnee, KS. That's great fun!

Please, know that when you come to KC and see Famous Daves BBQ by the GWL, that is NOT true KC BBQ. Do yourself a favor and seek out true KC BBQ. ::yes::

Great Wolf Lodge is fine. We live in Kansas City and you will find it perfectly suitable for fun and lodging. They have the big indoor pool area and an outdoor but not sure if that will be open during spring break. There is also an outdoor putt putt course.

The entire area, called Legends, is an outdoor outlet mall area but it is much nicer than most regular outdoor malls. It has a movie theater, plenty of restaurants all over the area, Dave and Busters which is an Applebee's type food restaurant with a big gaming area which kids LOVE!, Sporting Park (home to the KC soccer team, T Bones (minor league baseball), Nebraska Furn. Mart (huge store of electronics and furn) and so much more.

Other areas of interest in KC that I would suggest:
Steamboat Arabia (doesn't sound like fun but its awesome)
KC Zoo - be prepared to walk and it covers alot of ground
KC Royals - nice stadium and suitable for families
Crown Center - Indoor mall but next door has smaller aquarium and smaller legoland. Fritz's like others have mentioned is a kid favorite with the little train bringing the food (food is greasy burgers, etc)
Country Club Plaza - upscale shops and eateries and tons of fountains
Don't think Worlds of Fun will be open yet and Schlitterbahn (outdoor water park) won't open until summer

Other notable areas but some are not really for kids:
WWI Memorial - absolutely amazing
Nelson Atkins Museum - 1st class museum down by the C.C. Plaza
Union Station/Science City
Negro Leagues Museum and American Jazz Museum on 18th and Vine
Hallmark and Kaleidoscope

Best local restaurants:
Hamburgers - Winsteads
Chicken - Strouds
Steaks - Plaza III
Great all around meal - Houston's on the plaza
BBQ - Oklahoma Joe's, Fiorella Jack Stack, Smokehouse, too many to choose

Definitely hit Dave and Busters at the legends for the kids. They will love it.

Hope you have a good visit!

I have a friend who goes to the KC GWL every year at Christmas and loves it. They seem to take customer service very seriously there. We had a broken lock on the door leading to our balcony at the one at the Dells. We mentioned it at checkout just so they'd know about it, didnt make a big deal out of it. Corporate sent us an apology letter and $75 off our next stay - any location. :thumbsup2

If you stop at the Cosmosphere then I would recommend staying a night at Hedricks Exotic Animal Farm. We went there for a weekend and had a blast! We didn't do the Cosmosphere but wish we had. We plan to go back. They are close enough to do both. We stayed in the Pride of Kansas Suite.

http://www.hedricks.com/

Very interesting - thanks for the info (and to PP on he museum). :)

I'm from KCMO so please be aware that there is a bias on my part for the MO side of things. As a resident GWL has always seemed to be too pricey for what you get. Many of the previous posters have included things that we do for kids stuff but I thought I would try to add:
It's good idea to grab the KCParent magazine or Mother & Child Reunion or KCTeen (a lot of the public places have them e.g. libraries) and they usually have coupons for many of the kid attractions. Also even though I would never stay at Coco Key (hotel) the waterpark is fun and you can pay for a day pass without staying at the hotel (unlike GWL)

Free stuff to do:
Hallmark museum/Kalidescope (there is a group limit for each hour they let someone in and the time it is open on the weekends is limited so check before you head out)
Nelson Atkins Museum

Not Free but not too expensive:
College Basketball Experience (attached to the Spring Center) My son loves this place!
PowerPlay (KS side) usually has a $10 after 10 p.m. with unlimited attractions (videogame arcade with gocarts, bowling, lazer tag, ropes course as well)
Legoland
Skyzone
AMC Fork & Screen (my son loves to order food and watch movies-they have one in Olathe, I think the one downtown moved)
KC Zoo
If they like skateboarding there is a pretty cool indoor skate park on the Kansas side but the name escapes me at the moment.
Paradise Park (Lee's Summit) even though my DS is 13 now he still loves to play in the two story ball-pit
T-Rex resturant is fun but the service has always been glacial at best but the decor and build-a-dino make up for it.

I am a tried and true BBQ snob and I consider real KC BBQ to be Gates or Jackstack/Smokestack (same family)-I hope some of this helps!:earboy2:

I live in the KC area too. Another option would be to pick a nice hotel maybe at the Crown Center area like a pp mentioned and go to CoCo key for the Day. Here is the Day Pass prices.

https://tickets.cocokeykansascity.com/mainStore.asp?cid=1283&gclid=CPvt2o_ygLUCFQinPAodHDgAJA

Like the poster above said don't stay there. Just go for the day. Maybe even look at http://www.hotwire.com/ for your dates and see if you can find a suite hotel that would work for your family. There are lot's of great ones in the area and everything is close.

One other option is a smaller hotel with a very small water "park". Alot of local families go there for birthday parties. They get the room and have sleepovers. My son has been to 2 there and has had alot of fun. He is soon to be 9. I would say 12 and under would be best to enjoy it. Here is a link to it. It is usually about $99 a night.

http://www.kclibertylagoon.com/

My son is wanting to go to the College Basketball Experience. I have only heard great things about it. In fact he wants his birthday to be held there. There is a ton of things to do here. Like I said in an earlier post maybe just do one night at GWL and then move to a more affordable place. That way you have more money to enjoy all of the other fun activities.

We love our zoo! We visit zoo's in every city. We still think ours is one of the best. It keeps getting better each year too. Spring Break would be perfect weather for a visit there.

Have a fun trip!

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas!:good vibes

It looks like Coco Key is only open Th-Sun? We were hoping to go early in the week and be back before the next weekend since that is Easter weekend.

Here is their March calendar. With prices

1$10
4:00pm - 9:00pm

2$15
10:00am - 9:00pm
3$15
10:00am - 6:00pm

CLOSED

CLOSED

CLOSED

7$5

8$10

9$15
10$25

11$25

12$25

13$25

14$25

15$25

16$25
17$25

18$25

19$25

20$25

21$25

22$25

23$25
24$15

CLOSED

CLOSED

CLOSED

CLOSED

29$10

30$15
31$15

Whatever you decide KC is a great place for kids. If you decide on a hotel other than Great Wolf Lodge, which by the way we love and visit often, I would suggest staying close to Crown Center. That area really has a tone to do.The Lego land discovery center and aquarium are pretty new. Science City is great, theres free art workshops at Kalidescope and your kids will love Fritz (hamburger joint where your food is delivered by a model train kind of thing)

I don't want to sound mean but I wouldn't do Coco Key Water resort. We went once for a birthday party when my kids were younger and we found it to be below par.

I don't want to sound mean but I wouldn't do Coco Key Water resort. We went once for a birthday party when my kids were younger and we found it to be below par.

It won't be open for our dates in any case.:upsidedow

Just got a discount code for Spring stays in the family suites.

You can try and see if it works. It says for loyal guests so it may only work if you have stayed there before.

Loyal Guests, save up to 20% on Family Suites.
Book by March 1, 2013 and save on our best available rates (two night stay required on all Saturdays).

Receive 10% off our best available rates on Saturday one night stays.

Minimum two night stay required to save 20% off, March 15 - 23, 2013.

Promo Code: GR8DEAL
Valid: now - April 30, 2013
Blackout dates: February 15 - 17, April 5 - 6 & 19 - 20, 2013.

Just got a discount code for Spring stays in the family suites.

You can try and see if it works. It says for loyal guests so it may only work if you have stayed there before.

Loyal Guests, save up to 20% on Family Suites.
Book by March 1, 2013 and save on our best available rates (two night stay required on all Saturdays).

Receive 10% off our best available rates on Saturday one night stays.

Minimum two night stay required to save 20% off, March 15 - 23, 2013.

Promo Code: GR8DEAL
Valid: now - April 30, 2013
Blackout dates: February 15 - 17, April 5 - 6 & 19 - 20, 2013.

Thanks so much! It would've been an awesome discount, but they do require the prior guest ID and for it to be validated at check in. Darn it!!:sad2:

I tried calling this morning to see if they would match that great rate or if there were any unadvertised specials. Nope. So we will have to just go with our AAA rate which is the best for our dates I can find. I asked if a better rate comes out after booking can we rebook with that and she said yes, I hope she's right.

Another question tho is, do we need to book the paw pass thing when we make the ressies or can we wait til we get there? Is it more if we wait? Is it better to get the one with the magiquest included? I'm thinking maybe we can buy 1 wand and they can share though. This is what I've heard. I have no idea so any help is appreciated!!

TIA!!:goodvibes

Whatever you decide KC is a great place for kids. If you decide on a hotel other than Great Wolf Lodge, which by the way we love and visit often, I would suggest staying close to Crown Center. That area really has a tone to do.The Lego land discovery center and aquarium are pretty new. Science City is great, theres free art workshops at Kalidescope and your kids will love Fritz (hamburger joint where your food is delivered by a model train kind of thing)

I am from KC and I would definetly stay close to Crown Center....so many many cool things to do around there. Here are a few sites that may help.

Free Things to do in KC

KCParent.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter