Grand Californian Super Thread

I LOVE the DTD view..the one thing I miss having VGC. I have found the sliding doors soundproof very well. I love to sit on the balcony and listen to the music and watch people and see all the sparkly lights. But at bedtime, with the door closed, I never found the music intrusive..maybe a slight under sound, but very light. We stayed Concierge once (had to burn up some developer points) . We had a view of the parking lot :) BUT holy cow, did we save money on eating..we had breakfast and soda and water for the parks and then little nice things for lunch, a couple hot things were offered for dinner, then cookies and yes..BEER AND WINE later on. The wine was worth the stay..just saying :) Really fun experience, but won't pay for it and can't use points since the villas opened, but so fun to do it once.

Yeah! Thank you for posting this. The Concierge Level does add a ton to the price but I think this may be my mom's last trip. DL holds a special place in her heart. She's taken all of her grandkids (8 in total) to DL as something very special between her and the grandchild. With her being 72 and health issues starting to make life harder I figured I wanted her to just enjoy herself to no end. These trips were just her and a grandchild but with my youngest (and her last grandchild) my mom has realized she could not do it alone so I was asked to go along. For that I am so thankful. I might just go ahead and upgrade to the DTD view just for that little bit of special. No fireworks at night, and that's okay. But we love to "people watch" and I can't think of a greater place to do so.

I LOVE the DTD view..the one thing I miss having VGC. I have found the sliding doors soundproof very well. I love to sit on the balcony and listen to the music and watch people and see all the sparkly lights. But at bedtime, with the door closed, I never found the music intrusive..maybe a slight under sound, but very light. We stayed Concierge once (had to burn up some developer points) . We had a view of the parking lot :) BUT holy cow, did we save money on eating..we had breakfast and soda and water for the parks and then little nice things for lunch, a couple hot things were offered for dinner, then cookies and yes..BEER AND WINE later on. The wine was worth the stay..just saying :) Really fun experience, but won't pay for it and can't use points since the villas opened, but so fun to do it once.

Thanks for the information! I have heard so many people say they enjoyed their downtown disney view, so we are very excited to try it out. I am glad you didn't have a problem with noise. They probably use some kind of supersonic glass to block it out.

The wine with concierge sounds great! I don't think we will ever be able to afford concierge at GC, but I can always dream!:goodvibes

Hello,
We are going for a 5 night stay at the Grand Californian in June. We paid for the Downtown Disney view upgrade, and I have read through all the posts here (phew!)--so I now am in the "know" about the East Wing-Napa Rose elevator benefits as well as well as the plight of the long, winding hallways. I don't know if we will be placed near enough to the secret exit to utilize it--but that would be a benefit in the mornings getting out to the park.

I am wondering about noise levels. I realize it will be pretty noisy from the activity and musicians--but is there one area that is better than others for balcony relaxation and people watching?

I asked for a 5th floor room with a good shot to see some fireworks if possible. Should I leave it at that and see where they put us, or does anyone have anything else to add?

Usually people don't find noise to be an issue when the door is closed. Many enjoy leaving their doors slightly open when they want to hear the music but once they are closed, it shouldn't bother you.

We're potentially going in July for a conference at GCH. We might be bringing 2 of our nieces, so we would have me, DW, DN18, DN17, DD5, and DS0. DS will be 8 months for the trip. DD likes to say his age is 0.

Anyway, given that crew, could we get away with a single standard room? I would expect the sleeping arrangement to be the nieces in 1 queen bed, me, DW, and DD in the other bed and DS in a pack-n-play.

Thanks!

I'm looking forward to my trip in August and wonder what view the dvc 1 bedroom villa I booked, will have. I have been trying to figure out from the map the location where I will be at, so that way I know what I'm in for walking wise, location to pool, etc.

We're potentially going in July for a conference at GCH. We might be bringing 2 of our nieces, so we would have me, DW, DN18, DN17, DD5, and DS0. DS will be 8 months for the trip. DD likes to say his age is 0.

Anyway, given that crew, could we get away with a single standard room? I would expect the sleeping arrangement to be the nieces in 1 queen bed, me, DW, and DD in the other bed and DS in a pack-n-play.

Thanks!

I don't believe they will allow 6 people in a room, even if one is an infant, due to fire codes. You would probably have to book the 1br parlor suite for that many people.

Does anyone know if you can see WOC from the Villas at the Grand Californian? If so, what rooms should we request? We've booked a one bedroom.

You can see the show from many rooms, but you will not be able to see the projections well at all, for the most part. The same goes for the viewing area on the 6th floor, but still a nice experience. I'd say see the show from DCA for sure, then just request a PP view to watch it in a more mellow way on other nights. BTW..the show music is on the tvs in the room and is also piped in at the viewing platfrom.

I'm looking forward to my trip in August and wonder what view the dvc 1 bedroom villa I booked, will have. I have been trying to figure out from the map the location where I will be at, so that way I know what I'm in for walking wise, location to pool, etc.
Does anyone know if you can see WOC from the Villas at the Grand Californian? If so, what rooms should we request? We've booked a one bedroom.

Both of you should visit this thread:
The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

A quick review of the 1-bedroom villas:
5 villas are on the ground floor with a patio rather than a balcony.
10 villas face paradise pier with a view of WOC, higher floors are better.
4 villas face the Redwood Creek Trail.
4 villas face the pool.

Pool access is very good from the villas, since the elevators are close to a pool entrance and the area is not busy.

Hi,

Quick Question....

Has anyone taken the "How to Draw Mickey Mouse" class at the GC? I am trying to determine if this class would be good for my 6 year old, but I don't know what to expect.

We are also signed up for the Build A Bear class through GC....anyone gone to that? I am trying to get a feel for what you get.

Thanks.

With the weather lately in the 70's, how busy has the pool area been? Just wondering if we can count on swimming sometime soon, or if it's just too chilly and deserted. Thanks!

Maybe I am reading this wrong but don't you need a room number to accomplish this?

Jack

I don't believe they will allow 6 people in a room, even if one is an infant, due to fire codes. You would probably have to book the 1br parlor suite for that many people.

You are totally correct, max 5 no matter what age. If some says different, get it in writing.

Jack

Can someone tell me if the safes in the rooms at the GCH are large enough to store a 15" laptop? I'm not sure what to do with our laptop during the day while we are at the parks if it's not. I guess I could leave it with the front desk every day....?

Can someone tell me if the safes in the rooms at the GCH are large enough to store a 15" laptop? I'm not sure what to do with our laptop during the day while we are at the parks if it's not. I guess I could leave it with the front desk every day....?

It's just a small inwall safe...I think an iPad might fit in it, but not a laptop.

I leave my laptop either in its case in the closet or justleave it sitting on the table and yet to have a problem at the GCH. Just my experience.

Jack

Hi,
Has anyone taken the "How to Draw Mickey Mouse" class at the GC? I am trying to determine if this class would be good for my 6 year old, but I don't know what to expect.

I haven't done this at GCH, but I did it on the Disney Cruise Line. There weren't many people in the class, but it still felt rushed. The adults were going faster than the kids, and the CM had a hard time dealing with the different paces. She had also just memorized some basic instructions and wasn't really able to help when people had problems. I wasn't impressed at all.

However the class at the GCH might be better. You have to pay extra for it, right? That means they would (hopefully) have someone good teaching it, otherwise they'd get complaints and asking for refunds. But dont expect to leave and be able to draw Mickey Mouse. You'll just get a series of about 20 'step by step' instructions that you do together as a group. You probably won't remember them all when you're done.

Can someone tell me if the safes in the rooms at the GCH are large enough to store a 15" laptop?
The hotel safes are key operated, and too small for a 15" laptop.
The VGC are the electronic combination type, and will hold a 15" macbook.
The 200 hotels rooms added during the VGC expansion might also be larger (only my guess).

I haven't done this at GCH, but I did it on the Disney Cruise Line. There weren't many people in the class, but it still felt rushed. The adults were going faster than the kids, and the CM had a hard time dealing with the different paces. She had also just memorized some basic instructions and wasn't really able to help when people had problems. I wasn't impressed at all.

However the class at the GCH might be better. You have to pay extra for it, right? That means they would (hopefully) have someone good teaching it, otherwise they'd get complaints and asking for refunds. But dont expect to leave and be able to draw Mickey Mouse. You'll just get a series of about 20 'step by step' instructions that you do together as a group. You probably won't remember them all when you're done.

It is a free class so we might just skip it. Thank you for your thoughts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter