Grand Californian Super Thread

With the weather lately in the 70's, how busy has the pool area been? Just wondering if we can count on swimming sometime soon, or if it's just too chilly and deserted. Thanks!

We were there over Memorial Day weekend. In the afternoon, the pool was packed. The sun was shining but the wind was a little brisk in the shade. We've noticed that the pool is not busy early morning and starts to fill up later in the day. Depends on what you are use to weather wise, last Sunday was partly overcast but there were people in the pool. When are you going?

I am starting a collection of room views on the thread. If you have a room view you would like to share, please post up a pic along with the room number, the date, and the type of view under which the room is classified. My goal is to have a collection of room views so people can see if they like the view in that part of the hotel. This is difficult to do with just satellite and areal photographs. I will be re-posting this post later on so people who skipped over it will have a chance to see it.

THESE are what we have so far

THIS IS A REPOST FROM POST #1766

Here are three from Room 6504, DVC Studio. I know you have some already, but I thought I'd post them anyway.

i-9s2k5XV-M.jpg

i-bQxRS3R-M.jpg

i-zX5wQg2-M.jpg

I am starting a collection of room views on the thread. If you have a room view you would like to share, please post up a pic along with the room number, the date, and the type of view under which the room is classified. My goal is to have a collection of room views so people can see if they like the view in that part of the hotel. This is difficult to do with just satellite and areal photographs. I will be re-posting this post later on so people who skipped over it will have a chance to see it.

THESE are what we have so far

THIS IS A REPOST FROM POST #1766

We leave Saturday so I will make sure to take pictures for you. We have a downtown disney view. :)

Maybe I am reading this wrong but don't you need a room number to accomplish this?

Jack

I was under the assumption that the DVC villas weren't all scattered around the hotel and I just trying to ballpark what section I'll be in or near.

I was under the assumption that the DVC villas weren't all scattered around the hotel and I just trying to ballpark what section I'll be in or near.
You are correct, all the villas are all in one wing.
Floor by floor map of the villas :thumbsup2
On the North side of the villas (top of map) are the pools.
On the South side is Paradise Pier (and World of Color).
On the East side is the Redwood Trail.

The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

View from room 4522, DVC Grand Villa, 5 June 2011

2 story window:
4522_window.jpg

World of Color through the window:
4522_woc.jpg

Night view from dining room balcony:
4522_night.jpg

You are correct, all the villas are all in one wing.
Floor by floor map of the villas :thumbsup2
On the North side of the villas (top of map) are the pools.
On the South side is Paradise Pier (and World of Color).
On the East side is the Redwood Trail.

The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Thank you very much for your efforts and I appreciate it. I'm hoping to get near the pools, but if I don't, it wont affect my vacation. A beautiful hotel and my whole family is excited.

we are checking in on Sunday, and I will post a downtown disney view. Most of the pictures here are from people who are taking from a DVC view, which I think doesn't really help the majority of people who are thinking of staying at the Grand Californian. I am just a regular person, who is paying for a downtown disney view in a regular GC hotel room, so for anyone who is looking for that, stay tuned!

we are checking in on Sunday, and I will post a downtown disney view. Most of the pictures here are from people who are taking from a DVC view, which I think doesn't really help the majority of people who are thinking of staying at the Grand Californian. I am just a regular person, who is paying for a downtown disney view in a regular GC hotel room, so for anyone who is looking for that, stay tuned!

Lisa, did you see the DTD view I posted way back when. It was excellent.

Jack

Lisa, did you see the DTD view I posted way back when. It was excellent.

Jack

Jack, I think I did. Was it over the World of Disney? I asked for a room over the East wing (near the Napa Rose Elevator)--so that we could have a better chance of seeing some fireworks. I haven't had the best luck with requests at the Disneyland Hotel (we usually request Dreams Tower with a Downtown Disney view, but don't usually get it), so I don't know if the same will happen at the Grand Californian this time. At least we are paying for a Downtown Disney view--so I think they at least have to grant us that.

I will update eveyone when we get home.

Lisa

...I asked for a room over the East wing (near the Napa Rose Elevator)--so that we could have a better chance of seeing some fireworks. I haven't had the best luck with requests at the Disneyland Hotel (we usually request Dreams Tower with a Downtown Disney view, but don't usually get it), so I don't know if the same will happen at the Grand Californian this time...
Good luck with your room request :wizard:

Checking in early seems to help, and make it clear to the registration cast member that the view is very important to you. They will sometimes try to give you a room this is already available, rather than waiting for a better view that needs to be cleaned.

Remember to use the stairs when going to Disneyland :idea:

...I'm hoping to get near the pools, but if I don't, it wont affect my vacation...
I highly recommend you email a room request to member services. 1-bedroom villas are assigned in advance to ensure that 2-bedroom lockoff villas are available when needed. I make requests using specific room numbers, but general descriptions can be used (high/ground floor, pool/park view).

Normally we could care less about the pools since we have one but last night everyone(except I) voted to rent a cabana for a day so I guess that will be a new experience.

Jack

Hi everyone, we are going to Disneyland in July - it will be our first ever summer trip. We are staying at VGC. We are travelling with an 8-week-old for the first time and are adjusting our typical vacation plans accordingly. So I have two questions for y'all:

1. Because we're needing to have a more relaxed trip we are thinking of renting a pool cabana. Does anyone know if we can do this ahead of time? and if so who should I contact? The hotel concierge?

2. Our baby LOVES our rocking chair and I am trying to remember whether I've previously seen rocking chairs somewhere in the GCH lobby or if I am just imagining it . . . If she's fussy it would be nice to be able try and use those if I'm desperate.

I'm crossing my fingers for a smooth trip with baby!

thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter