Grand Californian Super Thread

I am sure you are right about the family size for a daybed. We have stayed at the DLH a few years back and it did not suit us, Residence Inn Maingate a few years(I really like this place for off site) GCH standard room and DTD view which I think I posted a photo of and now renting a 1 bedroom villa which can not be beat for comfort and the wife loves the w & d. The villas can not be beat but I absolutely loved the DTD view. I love watching the fireworks, the people and the night music. May have to do that again if I can rent points are a reasonable rate. Hope you have a great time.

Jack

Thanks, Jack! Since I made the choice to upgrade to a downtown disney view I have been much happier about staying there--it gives us something different to look forward to. My girls are getting older (11 and 14) and will enjoy it for all the reasons you mentioned. We are getting closer to our trip! I will be sure to take pictures to update this thread when we are home.

Lisa:goodvibes

We had bunkbeds and a monorail view (haha -- standard view), and our room had a balcony.

I'll let you know what we end up with on Sunday!

I did ask when I booked, but the CM said there were none under my name or currently available.:(

We had two rooms here last fall (Sept 19-24) and loved the hotel. We were on the bottom floor and had connecting rooms; my wife and kids were in a room with two beds and my parents were in an ADA room that had one bed and a fold-out couch (the kids were able to have a "sleepover" with Nana and Papa one night).

The only thing we did not like was the valet. It took so long the first day to get our car out of parking that we moved it to self-park. They ended up charging us valet for all 5 days but removed the charges with no hassle when we asked at checkout.

The ADA room was great for my aging parents. Their biggest challenge is getting in and out of a tub/shower combo and the shower in the ADA is one you simply walk into with not step-up.

Napa Rose was a dream for me and my wife's anniversary dinner. I posted about it briefly in a TR, but she has sever food allergies and many gourmet places are tough to eat at with hazelnut oil, pine nuts, etc. The chef came to our table and told her that he would personally oversee the preparation of her meal, told her not to eat the bread, and even offered to bring out her a complimentary salad or appetizer as a substitute. I mention this because the service and thoughtfulness exhibited at the Napa Rose permeate through the hotel itself.

We are going to Disney again this fall and may buy an AP. I don't know if it will be in the budget to stay here this trip (we are taking a different set of grandparents), but we will definitely be staying here in the future. I just wanted to add my personal experience and recommendation for this hotel.

I am staying at the GC for the first time this weekend for my birthday (standard room) and I am SO excited. I've never set foot inside the hotel, but I am just thrilled!

I honestly don't know much about the hotel, but I thought I would just share my excitement on this thread :woohoo:

The location here is to die for. Our family literally wore swimsuits onto Grizzly River Rapids. I don't think many understand just how close this is to DCA even when looking at maps. Last September we were in the pool going down the slide and all that. It was chilly in the pool so we jumped into the hot tub and just thought, let's go jump on GRR. We were on the ride and back into the hot tub in under 30 minutes. We then did it again :)

we are staying here for the first time this coming Sun, Mon, Tues. we are SUPER excited as this is our first trip to Disneyland!

my husband just called to request a room with bunkbeds with the complete understanding that it was a request and not a guarantee of any kind. the 'cast member' on the phone was rude and said that we only paid the standard room rate and cannot expect any upgrades. sigh. i get it, i mean i paid the cheapest amount to stay here but i was under the impression that we could at least put in a request without being made to feel like cheap-skates.

regardless. it looks beautiful and we cannot wait!

We check into the Grand in just 9 days!!!!! We are taking our in-laws too, and we think it will be a wonderful trip. :yay:

...my husband just called to request a room with bunkbeds with the complete understanding that it was a request and not a guarantee of any kind. the 'cast member' on the phone was rude and said that we only paid the standard room rate and cannot expect any upgrades. sigh. i get it, i mean i paid the cheapest amount to stay here but i was under the impression that we could at least put in a request without being made to feel like cheap-skates.
Bunk beds are not an upgrade and should be available with a standard room.
However, the 3 bunk bed rooms I have stayed in all had pool views.

Perhaps someone can confirm staying in standard room with a bunk bed.

We stayed in a standard with bunk beds and had a car park view over the entrance (parking lot)

We booked a standard bunkbed room and ended up with a view of the monorail courtyard. The kids liked watching the monorail zip silently by.

We stayed in a standard bunk room overlooking the parking lot. In my opinion getting the bedding configuration right is more important than the view. Don't get me wrong, I love a good view, however I will trade that for everyone having a comfortable bed to sleep in at night :goodvibes

my husband just called to request a room with bunkbeds with the complete understanding that it was a request and not a guarantee of any kind. the 'cast member' on the phone was rude and said that we only paid the standard room rate and cannot expect any upgrades. sigh. i get it, i mean i paid the cheapest amount to stay here but i was under the impression that we could at least put in a request without being made to feel like cheap-skates.

We are here, checked in on Sunday. I get the AP rate, but only book standard views because for me, frankly, if it ain't an ocean view, nothing is worth more money haha. Anyway, we also had a standard rate for Halloween. Both times I requested bunk beds (the boys still roll off -- is that weird for kids around five?). This time we got a pool view (we are right above and to the right of Hearthstone Lounge) and last time we had the monorail view.

Weird that the CM gave you hassles about it. They always remind me that it is not guaranteed, but they never tell me I can't do it. Try calling back!

We have booked a standard room. Can I call and request a room with a daybed with two queen beds? There will be four of us. My 18 yr old & 20 yr old would prefer not to sleep in the same bed.

We have booked a standard room. Can I call and request a room with a daybed with two queen beds? There will be four of us. My 18 yr old & 20 yr old would prefer not to sleep in the same bed.

You can call and request but that's all it is, a request. Nothing is guaranteed.

DmaxHawk said:
You can call and request but that's all it is, a request. Nothing is guaranteed.

Thanks and I understand that it us only a request. Also can you request a room near an elevator?

Thanks and I understand that it us only a request. Also can you request a room near an elevator?
You can request a room near an elevator. All the daybed rooms are at the front of hotel, close to the elevators off the main lobby.

Based on recent posts on this threads, parties of 5 are assigned to the the daybed rooms. Also daybed rooms do not have a balcony.

Checking in early will improve your chances of getting a requested room type.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter