Good Values & Gooder Splurges! w/ Pics! (3-Trips-in-1-Report) - UPDATE 11/7

Hubby and lots of people have come to love pineapple dole whips... I'm just not one of them...

Though I did discover ONE way I do appreciate using a pineapple dole whip. Hubby also discovered a nifty little trick about ordering his dole whip too... You'll have to tune in to my third-trip-of-the-year's review though.
:rolleyes1

I know I won't like them - I one of those picky eaters, too (like, grown woman eating off the kids buffet selections type :guilty:)

Great update - can't wait to find out how to "use" a dole whip correctly. :laughing:

Loving the fantastic reviews, imagine three trips in a year. We made it twice last year and DH thought that was excessive. LOL.

Great reviews so far, looking forward to more!! Your sons are so cute!

Thanks! I tend to think they're pretty cute too! :cutie:

I know I won't like them - I one of those picky eaters, too (like, grown woman eating off the kids buffet selections type :guilty:)

Great update - can't wait to find out how to "use" a dole whip correctly. :laughing:

I would love to get a glimpse into your head as to what you are thinking you can "use" a Dole Whip for... I'm sure there's some pretty funny things out there...

My thought is not exactly funny though... I like to think of it as more clever. :goodvibes

Loving the fantastic reviews, imagine three trips in a year. We made it twice last year and DH thought that was excessive. LOL.

Well, it's a little easier when you can just drive there! :)
It's about a 8-10 hour trip, depending on stops and if we catch traffic or a storm along the way.

We used to live in New York, and that would've been just too much to drive. (Though I know people who've done it.) If we lived overseas, I don't even know if we'd make it once per year! Domestic airfare would be a lot for a family of four... I can't imagine international!

Though if money were no object (and we had the available time), it wouldn't matter where we lived! We'd easily go multiple times per year! It'd be silly not too! :goodvibes

Easter Weekend
Day #1 - Evening

Epcot certainly was getting crowded, but we completed all the Kidcot FunStops in the World Showcase, a few lesser-wait attractions in Future World, and returned to Test Track with the FPs we got when we first entered around 11am. It was a little after 4pm when we decided it was time to move on... so we headed to Animal Kingdom.

Animal Kingdom was a great choice, btw! It was Easter Weekend, so AK was open until 8pm. However, they don't have anything spectacular like fireworks at night or anything, so as we entered the park (after 5pm), EVERYONE else was leaving! Let me put this into perspective... we were totally going against the flow of the crowds, and when we made it to Kilamanjaro Safaris, they directed us to the FP entrance instead of stand-by because there was literally no wait! We enjoyed our safari, and then let the kids play in DinoLand a bit, but by now, we realized we were hungry. We had a leisurely walk toward the exit, as there was still nobody around.

So the kids could have a fun experience, we decided to try Rainforest Cafe. We put our names down, hubby took the boys to the bathroom, and by the time he returned, the kids had about a minute to look at the fish before we were seated... and we were actually surrounded by many empty tables!

I had a coupon for a $.99 kid's meal at any RFC, which they happily accepted but would only apply to one kid's meal. Oh well, better than nothing, right?

We started with the mozzarella sticks because hubby and I decided we'd share that and an entree too.

IMG_3767.jpg

This picture was taken after a few had been removed... some of us were hungry... these were pretty typical sticks. We love cheese sticks, but these didn't scream that there was anything special about them.

We also shared with Big Guy, who is another cheese stick lover.

IMG_3765.jpg

He's enjoying his cheese stick with one hand, still holding his kid's pizza meal in the other... yeah, he was hungry.

Little Guy also had pizza, but with pepperoni... just the way he likes it.

IMG_3764.jpg

Hubby and I shared the pot roast entree.

IMG_3766.jpg

Again, good... but not screaming that it's really special.

The real appeal to Rainforest Cafe is the atmosphere... absolutely phenomenal.

So to sum up Rainforest Cafe (at AK):

Good: All the food: pot roast, mozzerella sticks, kid's pizzas - all good (nothing more).

Gooder: I actually remembered to pack the coupon I had printed and had it with me at just the right time... and it was accepted! That's a big deal in my mind.

Goodest: The best atmosphere for a family with kids! (Though we haven't tried T-Rex yet, so I'm yet to compare.) You really don't see walls and ceilings - you see trees and vines and animals everywhere... we were seated near an elephant that moved every few moments. Our kids absolutely loved the feel of the place, and have asked us when we can return just because of the atmosphere. They were actually sad when we didn't stop in RFC on our next trip on the way out of AK!

One more thing to mention... because of our timing, we had absolutely no problem finding our van when we were done... :thumbsup2

IMG_3771.jpg

great pics of RFC...kids are so cute! And love that picture of the parking lot...don't see that very often.

By far, you have the best read....:cool1::cool1:

Why, thank you! :cutie:

Wow! I've never seen the parking lot that empty!!

At least certainly not in Disney, right? ;) I couldn't believe it myself!

With the kids especially, we tend to not stay out very late... though we'd never visited AK in the late afternoon-early evening either. It helped that the park had been closed a while already when we got finished with dinner.

At least now I know the strategy - when it's a busy season (like Easter time), and AK is open later than normal, head there in the late afternoon. And to please the kiddos, stop in RFC before leaving... though next time I think we might just try dessert only...

great pics of RFC...kids are so cute! And love that picture of the parking lot...don't see that very often.

Glad you like the pictures. I think I should've taken more of the decor though... :upsidedow That was the best part, after all! I think we were all just hungry and focused on food!

That parking lot needed a picture... I wish I could see such a sight more often on our WDW travels!

Thanks for sharing! Enjoyable~

Glad you're enjoying! It's so much fun to share these experiences with people who share my excitement.

I would love to get a glimpse into your head as to what you are thinking you can "use" a Dole Whip for... I'm sure there's some pretty funny things out there...

My thought is not exactly funny though... I like to think of it as more clever. :goodvibes

I'm intrigued now - can't wait for the Trip 3 reviews so I can finally be put out of my misery! :rotfl2:

Loved your RFC reviews. We have yet to try any of the RFC's at WDW, but we enjoyed dinner so much at the one in DL, that we went back the next morning for breakfast. :lovestruc

Well, it's a little easier when you can just drive there! :)
It's about a 8-10 hour trip, depending on stops and if we catch traffic or a storm along the way.

We used to live in New York, and that would've been just too much to drive. (Though I know people who've done it.) If we lived overseas, I don't even know if we'd make it once per year! Domestic airfare would be a lot for a family of four... I can't imagine international!

Though if money were no object (and we had the available time), it wouldn't matter where we lived! We'd easily go multiple times per year! It'd be silly not too! :goodvibes

Now driving sounded great until you mentioned 8-10 hours - that's the same time as our flight :laughing:

I agree about the fact about money being no object - we reckon we'd just take advantage of the 90days we could stay in the USA each year if we won the lottery and give 45days a year to WDW with another 45days to tour the rest of your wonderful country.

Totally enjoying your reviews! Thank you so much for sharing. We love to go to the Rainforest Cafe....totally agree with you, though. It's completely for the atmosphere. Food is okay.....the rainforest is awesome! Love those fish tanks!

I'm intrigued now - can't wait for the Trip 3 reviews so I can finally be put out of my misery! :rotfl2:

Loved your RFC reviews. We have yet to try any of the RFC's at WDW, but we enjoyed dinner so much at the one in DL, that we went back the next morning for breakfast. :lovestruc

Glad I've gotten you intrigued... I'll have to move faster to not keep you in suspense I suppose... :upsidedow

Now driving sounded great until you mentioned 8-10 hours - that's the same time as our flight :laughing:

I agree about the fact about money being no object - we reckon we'd just take advantage of the 90days we could stay in the USA each year if we won the lottery and give 45days a year to WDW with another 45days to tour the rest of your wonderful country.

Wow! Does our country really have that much to explore? I think we spend too much time focusing on a single destination... ;)

Totally enjoying your reviews! Thank you so much for sharing. We love to go to the Rainforest Cafe....totally agree with you, though. It's completely for the atmosphere. Food is okay.....the rainforest is awesome! Love those fish tanks!

I love the fish tanks too... the way they make these huge tanks that actually connect over your head too. I'm on the lookout for some more outstanding food... yet to see a review that says "you MUST get ___ at RFC!" I hope someone points me in the right direction if there's something that I'm missing food-wise there though.

Glad you're enjoying! I'll be posting more this evening (as long as I have no technical issues).

Easter Weekend
Day #2 - Breakfast

Staying at the Embassy Suites in Orlando, just like Buena Vista Suites, entitles you to a full hot breakfast buffet. The difference at Embassy Suites is that the buffet is bigger, with more to choose from... but it's also busier. Part of that could just be do to the mere fact that it was Easter weekend, but the entire hotel is also rather large, and I suspect that it always is going to have more crowds at breakfast. Breakfast is served in the open atrium, so it doesn't give you that cozy feeling of the dining area in BVS.

On to the food...

Hubby's plate... and bowls...

IMG_3785.jpg

A bowl of rice crispies, a bowl of grits, and a plate of eggs, potatoes, bacon, and sausages. Hubby likes his breakfast foods... he's particularly fond of sausages and loves when he can pile several on to his plate.

Here's Little Guy with his juice.

IMG_3783.jpg

You can see he has a little egg and toast on his plate. I believe the boys also had either a muffin or donut each... couldn't snap fast enough. (Part of my plate is in the foreground.)

My plate...

IMG_3784.jpg

If you get up early enough (or are patient enough to wait on a longer line after sleeping in a bit) you can get made to order eggs and/or omelets... however you like! And the man making them was hysterical! A show all by himself! Every time a new person came through the line, he'd give them a name and talk to them as if he knew them... like "hey, Jimmy! Great party last night!" Or an older woman comes through and he says something like "Mary! How could you stand me up like that the other night!"

In addition to the egg guy's comical "routine," he had a super memory and remembered specific orders without a problem... sunny side up here, ham and cheese and peppers next, mushrooms and spinach no cheese after that... he remembered it all and gave everyone exactly what they wanted. If I remember correctly, I ordered my omelet with sausage, onions, and cheese. Yum! After getting that, I helped myself to some potatoes and sausages on the side too... and a bowl of grits or oatmeal with brown sugar... I tend to eat them both very similarly so I don't remember which. There's some toast on my plate too... which I don't remember... or maybe it was french toast... that's more likely to end up on my plate... I don't recall... but I was happiest with my omelet and sausages - love my breakfast proteins!

It was all good. Cooked well, kept warm, nice!

Here's my summary of our breakfast experience...

Good: Complimentary with your stay!

Gooder: Huge variety! Something... and more something... for everyone!

Goodest: The made-to-order egg-ordering experience! From the funny guy cooking, to the last bite of it on your plate... awesomeness! :thumbsup2

Easter Weekend
Day #2 - Lunch

This was Magic Kingdom day, and we headed to Liberty Tree Tavern, which is quickly becoming a favorite restaurant for us. I do like the colonial feel to it. And they've got such good American food!

We started out with Tavern Fried Cheese, which unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of, but I did get one shot of Big Guy eating one of the mozzarella sticks!

IMG_3808.jpg

We LOVE tavern fried cheese... a must-order every time we come! Two types of fried cheese come on the plate - mozzarella sticks and smaller cheese curds (which I think may have white cheddar?)

This picture also gives you a feel for the atmosphere inside. You can see that we didn't feel like our tables were right on top of other parties' tables. We were well spaced and could easily hold conversations at our table without worrying about other people too close to us.

Little Guy got turkey... his "typical" dish here.

IMG_3810.jpg

Served (typically) with green beans and mashed potatoes PLUS two sides... :confused3 He doesn't eat green veggies (without us forcing him to), so those were split between hubby and me. We also split his potatoes. He basically just ate the turkey and one side of sliced green apples.

Yes... green apples. If you've read my past reports, that's the one type my Big Guy eats. So he also got green apples as a side with his macaroni plate...

IMG_3812.jpg

They also brought him a side of mixed fruit (which in Disney typically means a lot of melon with a couple berries mixed in). I was pretty sure I asked for JUST apples for both of the boys... but I wasn't in an arguing mood. It did cost us an extra dollar or two to have the uneaten melons on the table. :sad2: (I normally like the fact that you don't have to get all the sides that the menu says the kid's meal "is served with." It's usually too much food for our kids.) Nevertheless, the macaroni itself, which is becoming Big Guy's "typical" meal here, was enjoyed... with meat sauce and cheese... a winner in his eyes!

Hubby and I split the pot roast. Yum! Here's my half (with Little Guy's green beans on the side).

IMG_3811.jpg

Very important - Little Guy's turkey gravy (which he doesn't use) is essential to add to our adult potatoes! Fabulous gravy! Not to overshadow the pot roast too much... as that's great here too! But the gravy really is good!

And we topped off our meal with one dessert split four ways -

IMG_3813.jpg

Brownie a la mode. Simple and delicious.

Here's my summary for the meal...

Good: Brownie a la mode - our first time trying it here... simple brownie, no nuts (the way we like it!) Fudge and ice cream just go so well with it! :goodvibes

Gooder: Tavern Fried Cheese - I am especially fond of the little cheese curds. :lovestruc

Goodest: Turkey gravy. Yep, it's THAT good! Best food at this restaurant! :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter