Good Values & Gooder Splurges! w/ Pics! (3-Trips-in-1-Report) - UPDATE 11/7

NorweJenNY

Always expanding my knowledge of the World

2010 brought us several trips to Disney World, and with those trips came a bunch of good eats! We dined on a dime at times, yet at other times, we splurged on full three-course meals! So what's good? What's even gooder? And what's the goodest?

It is my aim to show you all of this in this picture-filled dining review.

Yes, I know I am using poor grammar ("gooder" & "goodest"), as I am a former teacher myself. However, Disney World allows us to express our less formal and youthful sides... (and I am no longer in school. ;))

Here's my family:
IMG_4412a.jpg

Yep, hubby, me, and the kids... Oh, ok... that's not really hubby - he acts an awful lot like this character. Pardon the confusion.

Here's hubby - he managed to hop into this photo...

IMG_4391a.jpg

(Hubby is the one on the right. :))

We started our 2010 Disney adventures just after hubby hit the big 3-0. I'm not there quite yet... ;)

Our kids will be referred to as Big Guy (age 6, first grade) & Little Guy (age 5, preschool).

Grandmom (my mom) and Grandma Margaret (hubby's mom) also joined us for some of these adventures.

We are all Disney-fanatics!

Since we got APs in July 2009 (which allowed us three fabulous 2009 trips), we're continuing to milk these puppies for all their worth with another three trips in 2010: Superbowl weekend, Easter weekend, and an extra-long week leading up to Memorial Day weekend. So this dining review will be three-trips worth in one place!

Traveling to Disney so much within the span of one year meant we also needed to be a bit thrifty at times, so you will see some great food values in this review. However, vacations are times for splurges too, as you will see here and there, especially in our latest May trip. We did enjoy plenty of savings though with my Tables in Wonderland card, which gave us 20% off at quite a lot of meals!

Most importantly, we will have PLENTY of PICTURES!

Won't you join us as we see what's good, what's gooder, and what's the goodest stuff about dining throughout our Disney World vacations!

Dining Review Contents

Superbowl Weekend
Resort: Buena Vista Suites (offsite)

Easter Weekend
Resort: Embassy Suites (offsite)

Pre-Memorial Day Week
Resorts: Cypress Pointe Grande Villas (offsite),
Disney's Beach Club Villas, Saratoga Springs, & Port Orleans - French Quarter

And as soon as a figure out why my pictures aren't uploading to Photobucket, I will start my reviews... :o

Hi Jenny, cant wait to read them. Hope you manage to get your pictures working.xx:goodvibes

Joining in to another wonderful food reviews you write. Your sons sure have grown since the last pictures I saw (I know it was only a few months ago). I think your Little Guy had a growth spurt.
I have loved your previous food reviews and enjoyed all your family fun and can't want to see and read this one.
popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::

My Little Guy turned 5 and I was talking to his dad last night regarding days in the park and our ADR's. I said we will probably change things up and go to Epcot on our first day. My Little Guy goes...we need to go to MK and see Mickey...we always do that our first day or when we land from the airport. I told him that its a party night MK and we will see Mickey in Epcot. He said of course we will see Mickey b/c he is in every park but MK Mickey is the real one b/c his house is there...my husband said I have created a Disney nut with our son :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: So off to a MVMCP on our first day.

Hi Jenny, cant wait to read them. Hope you manage to get your pictures working.xx:goodvibes

:welcome:

I finally got a few uploaded! I'll start those reviews shortly...

Can't wait to read your reviews!!

Looking forward to your reviews!

YAY!!!!! I'm In:banana::cool1:

Terri

Joining in to another wonderful food reviews you write. Your sons sure have grown since the last pictures I saw (I know it was only a few months ago). I think your Little Guy had a growth spurt.
I have loved your previous food reviews and enjoyed all your family fun and can't want to see and read this one.
popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::

My Little Guy turned 5 and I was talking to his dad last night regarding days in the park and our ADR's. I said we will probably change things up and go to Epcot on our first day. My Little Guy goes...we need to go to MK and see Mickey...we always do that our first day or when we land from the airport. I told him that its a party night MK and we will see Mickey in Epcot. He said of course we will see Mickey b/c he is in every park but MK Mickey is the real one b/c his house is there...my husband said I have created a Disney nut with our son :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: So off to a MVMCP on our first day.

Welcome back!

Your Little Guy is cute. Though we've created our own Disney nuts. We were just at a church dinner, and the woman sitting next to my Big Guy had a big cookie and two little round bite-size cakes right next to them. Big Guy told her "I see Mickey!" Yep, we now find hidden Mickeys everywhere!

Superbowl Weekend

A little background first... Hubby walked away from his job where he was working way too much, earning way too little, and seeing is family way too little too. (He was already in the midst of starting up a company with his friend too, so we weren't left with nothing - in fact, it turned out to be a great thing that he could now commit to this new business venture!) Anyhoo, within a day or so of hubby stepping away from that job, we thought, hey! Hubby's free! We've got AP's... let's go to Disney World! His birthday was later that week, and his mother's birthday the next day, so we thought this would be a great way to celebrate together! (If you read my other reviews, you'd see that hubby left us during our fall free dining trip and couldn't join us on our December trip all because he had to work... so we knew he needed to get away anyway!)

So... with a few days to go, we were planning our trip! That also meant we had a very small budget. Our family scraped about $300 together for the weekend's budget. (Yep, that's all!) My mother and his mother were going with us, so we shared the cost of gas and the hotel. We found a BOGO night birthday deal at Buena Vista Suites for a suite that would fit all six of us, and it included a full breakfast buffet for us each morning too... that really worked well. We added a third night too. We later realized that if we had left a day earlier, we could've done two BOGO birthday deals (one using hubby's b-day, the other with dmil's) and gotten four nights total for the same price as our three... but I couldn't take more time off from work at that point, and Big Guy would've missed another day of school... but we were happy with our deal for three nights anyway. (Our share of hotel was about $150, leaving ~$150 for food for two full days in the parks.)

Arrival Night

We drove all day and checked into our room at Buena Vista Suites, but we'd been spoiled by many onsite stays lately, so for dinner, our first instinct was to get into Disney! Our favorite CS is Sassagoula Floatworks at POFQ, so we decided to share that experience with hubby's mother. (If you checked my contents for this review, you'll see we ended up here all three nights! It was just a few minutes from Buena Vista Suites, so it was very convenient.)

The kids got burgers. (Little Guy was in a temporary phase where he actually liked burgers. Big Guy has always devoured them - much like his mother while she was pregnant with him. :)) Their meals came with applesauce, a cookie for dessert, and a drink.

IMG_3497.jpg

I got my favorite meal, and so did all the other adults! RIBS!

My mom and I shared, so here's my half-portion (after we divided it ourselves):

IMG_3499.jpg

My only complaint was that the mac & cheese (my preferred choice of side dish of which I get a double order because you get two sides with ribs) was too runny! See that cheese soup all over the plate?

But the cornbread is good (with buttery-type spread - no real butter... :sad2:), and the ribs just put me here::cloud9:.

Hubby also got one of his favorite desserts, beignets. Though they get a bit messy:

IMG_3500.jpg

So for this night...

Good: Sassagoula Floatworks at POFQ was a convenient drive from the hotel, and they accepted TiW (20% off everything for all six of us).

Gooder: Hubby was wearing a black shirt... :rotfl2: I wish I'd taken a picture of him when he was completely done with those beignets!

Goodest: I got my RIBS! :thumbsup2 Perfect sweet sauce, soft meat that falls off the bone, literally "finger-lickin' good" (forget about KFC!)

I remember those cute kiddos!! I'm in for another great dining review!!:thumbsup2

Bring ON the pics and bring ON the reviews!!
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:
Looking forward to it!

Great start. Soooo looking forward to hearing your thoughts and seeing you pics :goodvibes

Can't wait to have those beignets again!! :banana: Looking forward to reading more reviews!

Don't wear black! ;)

More coming!

I remember those cute kiddos!! I'm in for another great dining review!!:thumbsup2

Glad you're back! (Those are cute kiddos, aren't they? :goodvibes

Woohoo! It just made my day to log onto the dining review boards and see another report by you!

:cutie: I'm honored, and humbled!

Bring ON the pics and bring ON the reviews!!
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:
Looking forward to it!

You got it!

Great start. Soooo looking forward to hearing your thoughts and seeing you pics :goodvibes

There'll be lots! Stay tuned!

had to laugh about the black shirt & beignets episode...same thing happened to us first time we stayed at POFQ. Those little goodies are addictive...shouldn't be, but they are. Yummy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter