Go Pro ? To get or not to get?

Go Pros are great cameras. We had 2 at work. I will say, given than we practically have to sign our life away to check one out, and this is a TV station with professional photographers checking them out....I'm not sure I would give one to an 11 year old. I might consider one of the other brands that cost a quarter what a Go Pro cost. And I say we HAD 2, one got wet.....and died. And yes, it was supposed to be water proof.

So we just debarked and pretty much had great trip but one major upsement was at castaway cay when my ds 11 went to use his go pro and it wouldn't turn on. Had snorkeling and parasailing planned. It worked with prior port day of stingrays ... Idk will have to figure it out when we get home... Guess I will just have to book another cruise

I just ordered one! now we will have 2 of my dad's go pros and one of ours, that's one for each person in our party! HA!

Lucky! I was able to use another waterproof camera at castaway and am hoping the video comes out. Just off the wonder if u have any questions

I just got the GoPro Silver4! What resolution/framerate should I shoot at? I don't want to shoot too low in case I need the resolution for something else down the road I assume I can always compress the video in editing. But then there is all of the different framerates and superview?? I tried searching on google for the best resolution to shoot at but was unsuccessful any tips or websites you recommend I read... TIA

i can't help you there but i can tell you my brothers both told me that a 64 gb card per go pro should last me the entire trip w/out running out of memory. I'm just going to pull it out of the box and shoot at whatever it's set at. lol we got a silver also. when i get it, i'll play around with it and see if i can't figure out best settings unless someone can chime in here who has go pro knowledge that we both can benefit from!!

I just got the GoPro Silver4! What resolution/framerate should I shoot at? I don't want to shoot too low in case I need the resolution for something else down the road I assume I can always compress the video in editing. But then there is all of the different framerates and superview?? I tried searching on google for the best resolution to shoot at but was unsuccessful any tips or websites you recommend I read... TIA

That is the same model I am looking at getting. I love that they finally have a built-in LCD screen. I would shoot at 1080p at 60fps. I would not do anything lower than 60fps. I heard that shooting at 4K wasn't good on the Hero 4 Silver. I'm curious how the 720p at 120fps would be. hmmm...

GoPro or don't go is what my 16 year would say. She has the Hero3 and absolutely loves it. Uses it way more than her Canon Digital Rebel. I'm a huge DSLR user but this little gadget is mighty powerful and fun.

GoPro or don't go is what my 16 year would say. She has the Hero3 and absolutely loves it. Uses it way more than her Canon Digital Rebel. I'm a huge DSLR user but this little gadget is mighty powerful and fun.
still trying to decide whether to bring my dslr or not. i haven't used it in years and feel like i should bring it but it's such a huge thing to lug around.

Some people had them but I didn't bring mine. It was just too much to carry. We had 3 cameras between us and hoping pics come out great! So upset about gopro though

still trying to decide whether to bring my dslr or not. i haven't used it in years and feel like i should bring it but it's such a huge thing to lug around.
I plan on bringing mine to use on the ship just to get some better quality pictures during the Character meets etc, but don't think I wil take it out at any of the ports except for maybe Castaway Cay.

I'm a avid outdoors person and I have all sorts of cameras. The camera I take on my of my adventures is my Olympus Tough which is perfect for your average outdoor person. It's shock proof (it can sustain a drop, bump or other mishap from 6.6 ft with no damage), freeze proof (14-degrees F/-10-degrees C), crush proof (withstand up to 220lbs pressure and water proof (up to 33ft which is perfect for snorkeling). I also have a specialized underwater camera that I use for scuba diving because sometimes I dive down to 120ft so I need something a little tougher. I also have a GoPro Hero4 that I use for bicycle riding, some scuba diving, skateboarding and running when I want to document a race. All that being said I believe for your average person the Olympus Tough is a great camera because it looks an operates just like a regular compact digital camera and you can purchase accessories as needed. The GoPro camera is compact and tough but requires a bit a learning and linking to your smart phone or computer if you want to check the photos or video you have captured. This is just my 2cents and I hope it helps.

Thanks for this... I've been looking and looking at cameras... Most the pics from my last cruise are blurry or just not great in general..

This thread has convinced me that I need a gopro for our cruise in a few weeks. I ordered the basic model because I have no clue what I'm doing but I'm looking forward to playing with it. I also ordered an accessory pack from Amazon. I too have had some not so good photos of our recent vacations and really prefer video anyway. I can't wait till it arrives!

We too have jumped on the Go Pro band wagon for our next cruise in April. Is wasn't too difficult with two teenagers in the house being extremely excited about the purchase. It is not cheap- thankfully we had a ton of rewards points on a credit card that we ignored for god knows how long. One of the rewards available? A Hero 3 Silver. The exact one I was considering. So with the Go Pro cost covered under the rewards points, I had the budget to invest in all the gear you need, including a really good card. So the camera came yesterday, waiting for the card- then we can play with it until the trip. Hopefully have some sort of an idea of what we are doing by then-LOL. I will take it snorkeling, my son plans to wear it on the CC5K, down the Aquaduck, all around the ship with the kids while my husband and I are at Remy. Should be fun!

I got the accessory pack from amazon and it is great. Figured out why it wouldn't work at cc, the battery!!! Apparently hubby charged the night before than turned it on and never turned off! And no where to charge on island... So my advice def have a backup battery!!! Told him he needs to take us on another cruise to make up for all the tears lol

We bought my father in law a Go Pro for Christmas this year. He and my MIL are coming on the cruise with us and we're excited to bring the GoPro.

My dad bought 2 extra batteries for us. I will be sure to make sure they are charged or replaced now!

Maybe I best spring for the spare battery as well. We have the chest harness, headstrap, floating handle, a case and a gorillapod. None of it will matter if the camera won't turn on. :)

i got an adult chest harness and a kids chest harness, the go pro 3 way stick and remote and my dad has the mount for it too. there will be LOTS of videos. LOL. i can't wait!

Bring it. Theres a lot of opportunity onboard and off the ship for really great pics that GoPros cant touch. Tonight when I get a few minutes Ill post a few comparison shots.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter