Go Pro ? To get or not to get?

cbonebt

Mouseketeer
So, we bought an underwater video camera for our ds 11, he holds it in his hand. Not sure if we should have gone with go pro? So we are going on a cruise and doing parasailing at castaway cay and snorkeling at grand cayman. Do you think he needs a go pro? Will it be easier? Pros and cons? Also if we got it it would be the go pro white ... I believe that is waterproof straight out of the box?
Thanks

It all depends on what you are using it for and what you hope to get out of it. Even the GoPro line has different resolutions and functions. Go Pro is considered an 'action camera' because you can buy (or make) tons of ways for it to affix to bikes, snowboards, skis, harness, sticks, drones, whatever. If that is something you think you need to have and your current video camera does not then you may want to look into other options. Also you have to look into how much it will be used. Is it just for this trip? Or do you go to the beach/lake/water park often? I personally do not have the funds to spend on a $300 toy I will use once a year.

We have been debating the same thing. I think my husband has convinced me though to purchase one. I've seen several of the trip reports on here who have used it for "still" pictures and the quality seem to be really good. I want it for the pics and my husband for the video capabilities. He loves to snorkel and also wants to use it for underwater. The only other cameras we currently use are our iphones so I'm figuring it would be nice to have in addition to the phones. I definitely think since the decent ones seem to cost 300-400; it's a personal decision.

Was looking into gopro white which is 200?? Not sure if it waterproof but think it is?

We have both an underwater camera and a waterproof gopro, and the gopro is way easier for some activities. I found it hard to snorkel with a camera in my hand - even if I let it hang of my wrist or neck. My husband uses a gopro and does not have to worry about it at all. He usually wears it on his head. Photos from the underwater camera are better because you can focus in or zoom in if you choose. There is also software that can take frames from your video and convert them to photos so you never have to take a still photo with your gopro if you don't want to, you can get them afterwards.

Parasailing I would definitely say gopro. I would not want your son to miss a second of that experience fiddling with a camera. :)

Those are my pros and cons. We use both. I like the camera, hubby uses the gopro, we get the best of both worlds that way.

I scuba dive and never even thought about getting a GoPro. My parents got me one for Christmas and I LOVE it! Best gadget ever!

Get one!

Thanks! I think I will get it! Extra floaty thing...any other must have accessory besides head strap?

I'm taking my dads 3+ and 4. I have a coupon for 100 off and thinking of buying myself one too. I ordered the chest strap, the jr chest strap (for my dd) and gopro pole. Lol. I have an "underwater" camera and I think the gopro does way better job.

We have a waterproof camera but I got a Polaroid Cube to play with. So far it has been great. It's only $99 and will do 720 or 1080p pics or videos. You can get a waterproof case for it and then I got a wrist strap for it. Depends on what you want but it might be another option. It's not a go pro but for the price is good enough for me.

We have a GoPro and use it often. Well Hubby uses it often. Great for water activities and underwater, is very clear. When we are in Disney he uses it on rides also with the hand strap. It is great getting to see the faces on the kids...especially when the teens tell you they weren't scared on a ride but they were screaming there heads off. My GD6 even uses it sometimes while swimming. I never thought of a floaty thing...good idea!

Ok so I just got the go pro white!!! I guess I need accessories... Amazon has accessory kits but they are generic. Any thoughts on that?

I just picked up 2, 64gb micro sd cards at target yesterday for $32 ea. my brothers who are all tech people said one card for ea go pro @ 64gb should last me whole trip. Hth

Yes. I have adult chest strap (ordered from backcountry.com), go pro pole (backcountry), child chest strap (walmart.com), head strap, remote, extra batteries, etc. but I'm borrowing most from my dad.

So, we bought an underwater video camera for our ds 11, he holds it in his hand. Not sure if we should have gone with go pro? So we are going on a cruise and doing parasailing at castaway cay and snorkeling at grand cayman. Do you think he needs a go pro? Will it be easier? Pros and cons? Also if we got it it would be the go pro white ... I believe that is waterproof straight out of the box?
Thanks

I just wrote a blog post on this very topic. Hope it helps you.

https://campergirlaz.wordpress.com/2015/02/14/to-gopro-or-to-not-gopro/

Kim

Ok so I just got the go pro white!!! I guess I need accessories... Amazon has accessory kits but they are generic. Any thoughts on that?

I bought my accessories on eBay, much cheaper. But I bought a real GoPro extra battery. I wouldn't compromise on that or the microSD card.

I am so overwhelmed!! Lol I order an sd card and have floaty. Dh ordered accessory package from amazon and then need to figure it all out

I am so overwhelmed!! Lol I order an sd card and have floaty. Dh ordered accessory package from amazon and then need to figure it all out

The learning curve can be steep. I thought I'd spend the plane ride from Phx to MCO learning about how to use the GoPro but I didn't and I wish that I would have. Watch some YouTube videos and practice a lot before you go. I'm home from our trip and now I have to practice and learn to use it better!

I'm very pleased with our pictures and videos from it.

Enjoy! Kim

Thanks by the way I hv been reading your blog! Thanks. Were u able to use the floaty and the head strap?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter