Gluten Free Dining at the Disneyland Resort: A Superthread

Book Breakfast at PCH Grill - our son is super sensitive to cross contamination too - is this a good location for him? Is there a time when the kitchen may be a little quieter?

Book Breakfast at PCH Grill - our son is super sensitive to cross contamination too - is this a good location for him? Is there a time when the kitchen may be a little quieter?
While we haven't eaten at PCH Grill, we have always found Disney buffets to be perfectly safe for my husband (super sensitive too) even at crazy times. In DLR, we did Minnie's brunch at the Plaza, and Goofy's Kitchen at dinner (now that was a madhouse, so crowded). The chef came without any prompting on our part b/c it had been noted on the res, took DH's order, and large, full plates of food were brought directly from the kitchen. He eats A LOT (big into fitness/weight lifting), so I had been somewhat concerned he wouldn't get as much as those of us who could go straight to the buffet, but that wasn't the case at all. The chef came out to see if he wanted seconds, too. This would be good if you have a pickier child who turns out to like only certain things on their plate. :) As long as you get the food directly from the kitchen, you'll be fine. (A Boma buffet chef at WDW was a real pill about making up a plate from the kitchen - so unhelpful Disney chefs do exist, but in our experience, he was the exception to the rule in the 4 Disney parks vacations we've had post-celiac diagnosis.)

When I went to PCH in october I had a horrible experience. We did the dinner and my GF status was noted when we made the reservation. The CM had to be prompted (not a big deal) to have someone come out and let me know what was safe. The chef refused to come out and "told" the CM what I could have. The poor CM felt awful (you could tell) and had trouble remembering what he was told a little bit. Neither one of us were sure that I could eat anything from the dessert area so I just avoided all of it. The sweet CM brought me some sorbet from that back that was amazing! I have to say what I did eat was really good and I might be willing to try it again but I won't let that happen again. Ironically there was maybe 10 other diners in the restaurant so its not like they were even busy. I wish I had been more assertive or at least let management know what happened. :sad2::headache:

When I went to PCH in october I had a horrible experience. We did the dinner and my GF status was noted when we made the reservation. The CM had to be prompted (not a big deal) to have someone come out and let me know what was safe. The chef refused to come out and "told" the CM what I could have. The poor CM felt awful (you could tell) and had trouble remembering what he was told a little bit. Neither one of us were sure that I could eat anything from the dessert area so I just avoided all of it. The sweet CM brought me some sorbet from that back that was amazing! I have to say what I did eat was really good and I might be willing to try it again but I won't let that happen again. Ironically there was maybe 10 other diners in the restaurant so its not like they were even busy. I wish I had been more assertive or at least let management know what happened. :sad2::headache:
Wow. That's beyond ridiculous your health was at risk there. I would go ahead and email Disneyland guest services with this telling them the date it happened. It's not too late and only management can force chefs to change their behavior. They did that once or twice with our gluten free family member but when we asked a couple more questions because of her additional dairy allergy the CMs paused & came back with a chef or sous chef to be on the safe side. (FWIW we always note allergies on our reservations too but sometimes they don't get passed along.)

Edit: here's a link to DLR guest relations. I've used it a couple times and received responses from CMs so the messages do get read. https://disneyland.disney.go.com/help/email/

Ironically there was maybe 10 other diners in the restaurant so its not like they were even busy. I wish I had been more assertive or at least let management know what happened. :sad2::headache:
That's interesting! I wonder if it may be better to go during the busier times, then. Perhaps "third string" chefs are in charge when it's quiet, or at least less-experienced chefs. I would absolutely complain too. You can't tout your allergy-awareness as Disney does, but let that kind of stuff go unchecked. Some times DH feels awkward to insist on speaking with a chef (although mostly they do not make him feel bad), but I will always pipe up for him when it seems like a chef isn't automatically coming out; it stinks to always have to be on your guard so much.

Wow. I'm sorry some of you had bad experiences. For the most part, the CMs and chefs were very helpful and a chef almost always brought my food out them selves. the only negative thing was at Carnation Cafe. They noted my allergies (gluten and dairy) but when they brought out the food, they kind of mixed up the allergies with the table next to us. The lady had a shrimp allergy and not only did they take off the shrimp of her meal, they mentioned gluten free, because they thought her allergy was mine. Luckily the tables were close so we both overheard each other, and quickly figured it out. We both doubled checked out meals and it turned out ok, but mixing up the allergies could have been bad

Just a note on Pizza Press. We were in DL at Christmas, staying at the Carousel. Although Pizza Press offers gluten-free crust, they bake it in the same ovens as their regular pizza. So not entirely gluten-free if you have Celiacs.

Does anyone know if the pommes frites are gluten free? Not sure what's in them/on them. But everyone talks about them all the time, so I'd like to try them. But I don't eat anything with garlic unless my wife does. Otherwise, she'll not be talking to me or near me for a day or two.

I
Does anyone know if the pommes frites are gluten free? Not sure what's in them/on them. But everyone talks about them all the time, so I'd like to try them. But I don't eat anything with garlic unless my wife does. Otherwise, she'll not be talking to me or near me for a day or two.
I was told they are fried in the same oil as everything else. This was in December of 2014, so may have changed since then.

Last edited:
Since they are not listed on the pages in the original posts, my guess is that there is at least some cross-contamination risk.

Just a reminder that the 'Safe Foods' list in the original post are now 'more of a guideline' as they're from 2013.

Don't assume that an item is still GF today because it appears on the list or that it's not because it doesn't show up. The lists are still pretty good as a starting point, but if you see (or don't see) something on it you want to eat, be sure you double check with the chef or server or read the ingredients label carefully.

Last edited:
I've been trying to save these as I've found them in the different groups I'm in. They are fairly current, within the last 6 months. A good starting point, but at least we know we can ask for an allergy menu and they may have one. As always, check before you order as suppliers and processes change.

If I shouldn't post these because I didn't take them, let me know and I'll delete them.
awesome.....

One thing I learned wasn't gf on my last trip is the cinnamon hot chocolate at Carnation Cafe. I would have assumed it'd be fine. Just goes to show, ask about everything.

I've been trying to save these as I've found them in the different groups I'm in. They are fairly current, within the last 6 months. A good starting point, but at least we know we can ask for an allergy menu and they may have one. As always, check before you order as suppliers and processes change.

If I shouldn't post these because I didn't take them, let me know and I'll delete them.

We need more posts like this! Excellent to have these in advance.

What was possibly in hot chocolate that wasn't gf?
I didn't think to ask. My dh ordered it and the waitress made a point to let me know it's not gf in case I was planning on tasting it. I was too surprised at the time. Maybe there is barley malt or something in it?

I think it is a cross-cantamination risk. If you google the ingredients for Nestle it says "many contain wheat." The Swiss Miss (Carnation) doesn't have this warning.

Carnation is Nestle. Not sure if Swiss Miss goes under another label as well. It's interesting, because I was not given that warning at WDW when my kids ordered plain cocoa (though this was a couple of years ago).

Carnation is Nestle. Not sure if Swiss Miss goes under another label as well. It's interesting, because I was not given that warning at WDW when my kids ordered plain cocoa (though this was a couple of years ago).

You are correct. It's been a long day and I got it mixed up. But it is the Carnation that has the warning. Swiss Miss does not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter