• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gas going up AGAIN!!!

It is very annoying! I drive 1,000 miles a week to get to work and back... usually $100-$120 a week in gas :furious: it is ridiculous. I can't do anything about it, but I really wish they'd find a better solution. An alternate source. We were tired of paying outrageous gas bills to heat our house, so we put in a corn burner and now pay $95 a month in the winter to heat our 3k sq/ft. house to 76 deg. all winter... If I could use something other than gas, I'd change that too!!!

lindakmonty said:
It is very annoying! I drive 1,000 miles a week to get to work and back... usually $100-$120 a week in gas :furious: it is ridiculous. I can't do anything about it, but I really wish they'd find a better solution. An alternate source. We were tired of paying outrageous gas bills to heat our house, so we put in a corn burner and now pay $95 a month in the winter to heat our 3k sq/ft. house to 76 deg. all winter... If I could use something other than gas, I'd change that too!!!

Not to be stupid, but what is a corn burner? :confused3

Its like a wood stove but instead of burning wood you burn corn. They also have pellot stoves.

It's gone about about 10-15 cents here the past week. I hope it comes down following the 4th of july demand. North jersey is back up over $3, Central NJ is just under $3, and south jersey is around 2.80.

Farewell to $60 oil; Brace yourself for $80
http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?dist=newsfinder&siteid=mktw&guid=%7B19065F21%2D1BF5%2D4C0B%2DACB8%2DADCEE6970B3B%7D&symbol=

But what gets me is this one:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B7E8D58BC%2D1209%2D49B9%2DB7D0%2DC226286488D2%7D&siteid=
"expectations that consumers are not hurting with gasoline prices at a national average near $2.93 a gallon"

Uhh...

Just because demand may be staying at the same levels as people continue to buy gas, it's because it's a NECESSITY for practically everyone in America in order to get to work, school, doctor, grocery, etc.

What this article's "expectations" completely miss is what are consumers cutting back on in order to continue putting gas in their vehicles.

I just paid $3.19 a gallon in the Chicago suburbs. I drive a suburban and it was $93.00 to fill the tank. I have been trying to condense my trips, but with kids on swim team, playing tennis and soccer practice starting again, I don't know how I can do it.

I paid 2.87 here in WA today, the price has actually been steadily decreasing over the past two weeks, but since I heard it was supposed to go up I went ahead and filled up my mini-van today. I'm a SAHM so we bought DH a little 1989 Honda to drive to and from work so hopefully that will save us considerably, we'll save the van for family drives.

We have narrowed the extra curricular activities down quite a bit since Gas went up last year. My daughter doesn't take private lessons for cheer/tumbling anymore and we only go out once a week for my sons drum lesson and run errands that day as well. With me only working part time, I'm really trying to weigh the cost of gas and oil for the van against what I'm making. If it goes up too much more, I'll have to give up my part time job and start clipping coupons to make up for what little I'm making.

Oh No! We just filled up the car...$3.25 a gallon (and that is for regular). Please don't tell me it's going to go up more!!! :sad2:

Oh man, I need to fill up tomorrow! I hope the prices don't go up before I get to the station in the morning.. :(

All this makes me feel good, it is around $2.73 here. But it is so wrond to feel good about $2.73 a gallon. I had a chance at a new job at the college where I work but I would have to drive to one of our other campuses around 30 miles away and decided to pass because the gas cost would eat up the raise. :furious:

It's $3.29 here in Chicago and it's killing us! We have a 4 cyl. car, but it's still near $40 to fill up.

We're definitely getting pinched. DH does our bills/budget. I'm a SAHM with an 8 yr old and a 10 mth old. I don't pay a lot of attention usually to expenses, because I'm not good with details, and in general we're very frugal, so there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for change.

DH has been mentioning we need to tighten the belt. We've been trying to consolidate trips much more (town is 25 miles away). I swear, I think gas prices are affecting prices at our grocery store. Everything seems to be inching upward. We have a Civic and a Camry, so gas isn't as bad as it could be.

Yesterday's paper had the retail spending levels for last month. You know, they show about 10 different national stores like Target, JCPenney, etc. I was surprised that gas hadn't affected retail spending more. Guess most Americans still have plenty of discretionary income.

tinaluis said:
It's $3.29 here in Chicago and it's killing us! We have a 4 cyl. car, but it's still near $40 to fill up.

I filled up yesterday at a cheap cash only gas station. I only had $20 in cash and that did not fill the tank of my 4 cyl. even half way.

I haven't read this whole thread, but we are feeling the pinch at our house. We have a Dodge Grand Caravan and a '93 Toyota Corolla. We use the Toyota for our work car and the van for family outings. We are trying to make the best of it by using a BP Chase Visa that gives rewards for every $35 spent on BP gas. Yes, we have our Disney Visa and use the heck out of it (Dh needs a new one because his is cracked! :lmao: ), but 1% in rewards just doesn't always cut it. I've been very tempted to put the twin's car seats in the Toyota and make DD13 squeeze in anyway she can! :lmao: We have to buy gas so we are just trying to make the best of it by easing the pinch anyway we can.

Living here in England the gas prices are even higher. I pay .94 pence a litre and after you change it over to the dollar it's about $8.32 a gallon. So when we go to WDW the end of July it will be cheap to buy gas even if it's over $3 a gallon.

We just arrived back home from a weeklong trip to Boston and NYC-we never paid more than 2.92 a gallon for gas, but it took a little planning. This was before our 5% cash back on the credit card.

On 7-1 $2.67 in Grayson KY (Speedway)
2.71 in Carlisle PA (Flying J)
on 7-2 2.92 in New Jersey just outside of NYC (NJ rte 4 Hess)
7-4 2.87 in Boston MA (Exxon at Montvale and 95)
7-6 2.87 in Boston
7-6 2.85 in PA (near I80 and I81)
7-6 2.71 in Youngstown OH (Speedway)
7-8 2.84 in Canton OH (Speedway)
7-9 2.82 in Georgetown KY (Speedway)

www.kentuckygasprices.com is the source-just substitute your state or city for current prices.

Funny how when we bought a Prius a year ago (which turned to 25K miles on it's one year birthday) everybody said we were crazy, we'd never recoup the extra cost.

Well, between the tax credit and the gas savings in the FIRST YEAR we're already over halfway to the break even point. We expect the break even point will happen in about 18 months, and we'll still be a good two more years away from looking to trade it in.

And it's got the same capacity and cargo space as most mid size SUV's and minivans, and more than the smaller ones--and gets 50 mpg. :cheer2:

I'm not really at all concerned about gas prices. :rolleyes1

DH who does most of the driving uses the Prius. I go back and forth to work, and run errands, most of which are right on my work route. I usually have to fill the tank every 10-14 days. My SKY only gets about 26 mpg, the L gets 36, so if I need to go anyplace outside my normal routine I take "Betsy." :thumbsup2

Anne

The other day when I filled up my car, gas here cost $1.19 a liter which is about,what, $5.36 a gallon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter