• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FP+ is Live! Magic Bands in the park!

Interesting. Also afaik regarding the above post it's same access for all guests. At worst maybe off site won't be able to pre book (which I wouldn't be bothered about) but they've already said you get access regardless, unless anything changes... In the blog post that announced this whole thing for real back around Christmas, Disney said Resort guests get a wristband (I'd prefer the ticket anyway) but that's the only distinction they have made so far.

Most of the information came out around the first week of January - Jan 7th or before, as that's when I wrote up an article on it. The changing of the guard was announced January 9th. Hmm...

Then I would guess they are somehow linked, but probably not in any important ways that we could generate conspiracy theories about. :)

Can anyone please direct me to a section where I can read about Fastpass & Fastpass+??

Thank you! I haven't grasped it all yet. :goodvibes

Can anyone please direct me to a section where I can read about Fastpass & Fastpass+??

Thank you! I haven't grasped it all yet. :goodvibes

FP-

Click HERE for Disser doconeill's explanation of what FastPass is, and how it works.

Here are two more in-depth explanations of FP-

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/fastpass.htm

http://allears.net/tp/fastpass.htm

-------------------------------------------

Be careful about what you read about FP+.

It has not been released and only the most cryptic and incomplete
info abounds on the web.

Below are some compilations of the info that can be pieced together:

http://crooksinwdw.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/116/

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3106339

Thank you so much,Robo! That's exactly what I need! (I'm one of those who learns best by reading about the topic.) :thumbsup2

You could also see a video of how it works on You Tube at 3MinuteTravelTips. I can't link to it from this computer but I don't think it will be hard to find from that--Hopefully! :blush:

Updating-

Some interesting bits of info on "what we know" (more or less) regarding FP+ can be found, complied, HERE and HERE.

I don't think they will have any trouble with using this. It will be well promoted by Disney and Disney travel agents, bloggers. There will be help for guests that need it after they arrive.

Wasn'tthe same help there for the current FP system as well?

However the use of the ticket to return after the stated date was something that many never, ever thought of doing. While it was allowed, again not arguing right or wrong on this, just saying it was not common knowledge to the masses.

If that was the main issue then why wasn't time enforcement implemented a long time ago. Obviously Disney felt, until recently, that it wasn't enough of a factor to warrant the change.

Many, many people never got a fast pass, because they did not want to be there at opening and rush from place to place to gather them. So when they arrived the fastpasses for that day were gone.

This will help that guest and believe me there are many of them.

Disney has spent a lot of money and time listening to guests complaints and suggestions on Fast pass. This program is based on that feedback.

The problem many DISers forget that there is a huge contingency of guests that do not frequent these forums or others. This might be a vocal group but it is not the vocal majority.

Complaints about the current FP system could have been addressed a LONG time ago by simply changing some of the parameters. Earlier return time enforcement, longer periods between being able to get another FP, limiting the number of FP's to headliners etc. I actually look to this as some glimmer of hope that the changes won't be quite as severe as feared. It seems like it would have made a LOT more sense to begin limiting FP's BEFORE introduction of FP+ in order to avoid the anger with FP restrictions being tied to implementation of FP+. If those of us that won't be happy with FP restrictions had become used to them already there would be much less resistance to FP+.

I just don't see how you can argue that the previous FP system didn't work then claim that FP+, which is far more complicated, won't suffer at least the same obstacles if not more.

As far as the DIS, Disney feels we are a large enough minority to feel it warrants monitoring the discussion.

Wasn'tthe same help there for the current FP system as well?

If that was the main issue then why wasn't time enforcement implemented a long time ago. Obviously Disney felt, until recently, that it wasn't enough of a factor to warrant the change.

Complaints about the current FP system could have been addressed a LONG time ago by simply changing some of the parameters. Earlier return time enforcement, longer periods between being able to get another FP, limiting the number of FP's to headliners etc. I actually look to this as some glimmer of hope that the changes won't be quite as severe as feared. It seems like it would have made a LOT more sense to begin limiting FP's BEFORE introduction of FP+ in order to avoid the anger with FP restrictions being tied to implementation of FP+. If those of us that won't be happy with FP restrictions had become used to them already there would be much less resistance to FP+.

I just don't see how you can argue that the previous FP system didn't work then claim that FP+, which is far more complicated, won't suffer at least the same obstacles if not more.

As far as the DIS, Disney feels we are a large enough minority to feel it warrants monitoring the discussion.

Exactly. This system, while more complicated, is still based on the fastpass system and will most likely inherit at least some of the same strengths and weaknesses.

Having said that, I too hope the impact will not be as severe as we once feared.

I was reading one of those compilations of what we know and it said you could only have one fp for each ride a day. If it stays the same, at least it shouldn't impact standby times of headliners TOO much.

Also, apparently disney will adjust the number of passes available, which I hope means they will reduce them if it is less busy on some of the rides, and increase on other rides if it is more busy there, so standby times for less popular rides shouldn't be too affected by fastpass being extended to them... Hopefully.

Hopefully it won't impact non users of pre planning fastpasses (and indeed users of pre planned passes too, they will be riding the other rides standby when not using a prebooked pass after all) too much. That is my main hope ATM.

The DisUnplugged Podcast team discuss FP+ here for anyone interested :)

If it does come to be true that if you use the fastpass + then you can't use the regular fast pass system. I'm not entirely feeling the excitement for the new and improved...

With the current FP system I can easily get more than 3 fast passes in one day. I hope what is being said about the plus only allowing 3 is a learning curve and will be revisited as they work the kinks out more.

I will not feel I'm getting something improved if my FP use gets diminished by they new system...

Just my thoughts listening to the podcast.

It is possible the wifi limitations inside the parks are giving them fits.

The WiFi in the parks does not have enough capacity. As soon as the park has an average crowd in it, you can't get a connection. WDW has a huge amount of foreign visitors that aren't going to be using their cell phones because of high roaming charges so Disney really needs to get that WiFi capacity increased otherwise people are never going to be able to get/stay connected.

The WiFi in the parks does not have enough capacity. As soon as the park has an average crowd in it, you can't get a connection. WDW has a huge amount of foreign visitors that aren't going to be using their cell phones because of high roaming charges so Disney really needs to get that WiFi capacity increased otherwise people are never going to be able to get/stay connected.

yes this was highly unreliable for our Dec trip. We would text each other and not get the message until several hours later...

If it does come to be true that if you use the fastpass + then you can't use the regular fast pass system. I'm not entirely feeling the excitement for the new and improved...

With the current FP system I can easily get more than 3 fast passes in one day. I hope what is being said about the plus only allowing 3 is a learning curve and will be revisited as they work the kinks out more.

I will not feel I'm getting something improved if my FP use gets diminished by they new system...

Just my thoughts listening to the podcast.

It seems pretty certain that if you get a MagicBand, you HAVE to use Fastpass+.

If you DON'T get a MagicBand, it appears that you can still make a choice for now.

At the risk of backlash from those who think we shouldn't discuss these things on a discussion board... :)

Disney has only really mentioned 3 when talking about booking Fastpass+ experiences in advance - and that's what they are touting heavily. They haven't really talked about how things would work in the park in terms of numbers - only that you can change your choices/times up until they expire.

Because of this, there are two camps:

1) The "3 and Done" camp...you get three, and that's it. Of course, the numbers can vary (and they reference that in the T&C, based on all sorts of conditions - it could be different on different days). Per Nick Franklin's video interview, additional "bonus" experiences might be offered.

2) The "it all works the same in the parks" camp...yes, you can pre-book 3, but then in the park that day you can get them just like you always did. I think a lot of the argument here is that all the tests allowed guests to utilize the existing system while also using FP+.

And frankly, I don't even know what camp I'm in these days. I'm just sitting and waiting, but at the same time make sure people know what information we know, and what we don't.

But, since Wi-Fi is being discussed, time to put on my IT Consultant hat...it's what I do... :)

Wi-Fi is a pain, on any scale. It never works better than "ok". And that's with a single access point. Multiple access points is a nightmare. There are different ways to do it, and none really work well. It's a shared media network - the more devices, the slower it gets, and it isn't linear.As more devices try to transmit, they all have to stop and wait, and argue about who goes next.

Disney is doing Wi-Fi on an unprecedented scale as far as I know.

I am really confused. Is FP+ now going? We are going in 3 weeks.

Nope. Which is why everything is still in question.

There MAY be testing going on, but the information I have is that it is being tested by CMs and their families, and not general guests currently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter