For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So upon looking closer to our route...seems since we are in south central pa we don't get in I95 until after DC. We take I believe route 15 through Gettysburg and pick up I270 in Fredrick Md then I495 around DC I95 rest of way...I like how google maps gives you estimated time with the current traffic...leaving at 2am will be our best bet. We don't want to stop and stay over night either way. We want to get to Mickey as soon as possible and coming home we have something already scheduled for the day after. So that's not an option.

Gonna start researching fun things for the car ride for the kids besides movies to keep them from fighting

That was our route the last time. Our two previous trips were the inland route. We will never go around DC again, so if we do I95 again, we will pick it up further south, maybe off of 17, just north of Richmond. (We always take 15 to 17 to get to Williamsburg and for a bit 17 and 95 are the same road.) However, we left after church on Sunday, so we hit 95 in the early afternoon on a Sunday and it was crazy. I can't imagine a weekday! If we don't do AutoTrain (I'm really pushing for it, but it is so expensive, and dh doesn't want to try it), we will be doing the inland route in April most likely.

I don't know how I have not found this thread before. Here is the question. We drive to WDW multiple times a year as DVC members, and moved just north of Pittsburgh a couple of years ago. We always take I79 south to route 19 bypassing Charleston, WV to I77 south. Is this the best way. We have never taken I79 to Charleston to I77 south. Does taking route 19 really save time. I only ask because route 19 has several stop lights, and a speed limit of 55.

SDmouse said:
I don't know how I have not found this thread before. Here is the question. We drive to WDW multiple times a year as DVC members, and moved just north of Pittsburgh a couple of years ago. We always take I79 south to route 19 bypassing Charleston, WV to I77 south. Is this the best way. We have never taken I79 to Charleston to I77 south. Does taking route 19 really save time. I only ask because route 19 has several stop lights, and a speed limit of 55.

We used to do about the same many years ago, 60 to 79 to 19 to 77. Most do this to save the tolls , only 6.00 total one way....

I'm just not partial to the huge bridge on that route, phobia.... And from Youngstown area 19 Pittsburgh route dies save some time, but we prefer the 76 to 77 run, no lights or traffic clear sailing..

It looks like we will be driving down to Disney for the first time in September from SE PA.

I will be reading over this thread over the next few months to get all the tips and tricks I can find.

It looks like we will be driving down to Disney for the first time in September from SE PA.

I will be reading over this thread over the next few months to get all the tips and tricks I can find.

Hi neighbor! Do I know you?? Looks like we could both have 6th graders in SFSD?? Let me know how I can help. We've driven lots of times and I think we figured it out, at least what works for us.

Would love some advice!! We are planning a trip to Disney for the third weekend in October of this year. We'd like to drive from Pittsburgh, PA. My girls will be 4 and ALMOST 3 (got to take advantage of that free 2 and under right?). They are REALLY good about driving long distances. It's amazing. Anyway their bedtime is 7pm so I was thinking about leaving around 7 or 8 and driving straight through the night. We could have somebody come over and watch the girls while me and my husband sleep from say 2-7. I only say this because I am AWFUL at sleeping in cars. So according to drivetodisney.com it only takes 15 hours (without stops or traffic) to get to Disney from our house.

What I want to know is ... how long does it REALLY take? If we do leave at 8pm what would be the best route to take?

If we could actually swing this with only one or two stops (girls will wake up around 6am and we can eat breakfast ... we've done this before) and that website is right we could actually realistically be there by 1pm.

So is that realistic??

Thanks!

ETA: when I say we've done this before I don't mean we've driven to Disney before ... just that we've driven long distances through the night before (to the Outer Banks to be specific).

Danielle

Hi neighbor! Do I know you?? Looks like we could both have 6th graders in SFSD?? Let me know how I can help. We've driven lots of times and I think we figured it out, at least what works for us.

My son just turned 11 and is in the 5th grade. The trip is not until September so we have some time to plan but I guess the first questions would be what route do you take and what time do you normally leave?

You may regret offering to help if I start firing off questions:)

Would love some advice!! We are planning a trip to Disney for the third weekend in October of this year. We'd like to drive from Pittsburgh, PA. My girls will be 4 and ALMOST 3 (got to take advantage of that free 2 and under right?). They are REALLY good about driving long distances. It's amazing. Anyway their bedtime is 7pm so I was thinking about leaving around 7 or 8 and driving straight through the night. We could have somebody come over and watch the girls while me and my husband sleep from say 2-7. I only say this because I am AWFUL at sleeping in cars. So according to drivetodisney.com it only takes 15 hours (without stops or traffic) to get to Disney from our house.

What I want to know is ... how long does it REALLY take? If we do leave at 8pm what would be the best route to take?

If we could actually swing this with only one or two stops (girls will wake up around 6am and we can eat breakfast ... we've done this before) and that website is right we could actually realistically be there by 1pm.

So is that realistic??

Thanks!

ETA: when I say we've done this before I don't mean we've driven to Disney before ... just that we've driven long distances through the night before (to the Outer Banks to be specific).

Danielle

I just checked to see what that site (assuming I found the same site, slightly different name) would give for my driving time and it said 14 1/2 hours. It's actually at least 16 for us. Plus breaks for the bathroom and snacks. And we do not drive straight through. I think that 15 hour figure you have is a little too optimistic. Why not plug in the trip to the Outer Banks that you've done before and see how the time estimated by the website jives with your actual experience.

I just checked to see what that site (assuming I found the same site, slightly different name) would give for my driving time and it said 14 1/2 hours. It's actually at least 16 for us. Plus breaks for the bathroom and snacks. And we do not drive straight through. I think that 15 hour figure you have is a little too optimistic. Why not plug in the trip to the Outer Banks that you've done before and see how the time estimated by the website jives with your actual experience.

I did the same thing for Milwaukee and it showed 19+ hours which is light. If I had to guess the site is providing actually driving time not taking into account stops for food, fuel, and bathroom breaks. If it were me I would use that number with caution and add a few hours to account for stops and the unexpected.

Another good option would be to try routing yourself to Disney on google maps to see what it says.

First of all yes, driving through the night is realistic and when we had two kids we had to add about two hours to the total estimated time and now when we travel with 4 kids we add about 4 hours to the google maps estimated time. I love it that way since I have no urge to coop the kids in a car all day, stop to sleep then coop them up again.

We could have somebody come over and watch the girls while me and my husband sleep from say 2-7. I only say this because I am AWFUL at sleeping in cars. Thanks!
Danielle

This is the only part I don't think would work. I tried this our first year, had my mom come over so I could rest. HA!! My brain was in hyper drive and it was not happening!!

We are driving down from NWNJ again in less than a month pixiedust:

We will be taking the 81-77-26-95 route again, leaving sometime on Friday the 8th (probably afternoon). Last time we left in the morning and easily made it to the Savannah exit. I am hoping that DH can leave work around noon time and we can start driving by 1pm or 2pm. I would like to get within 6 hours or so of WDW on the first night

Please update the all time records - we did 5 drives to the world in 2012 - Feb, June, Oct., Nov., and Dec. We probably won't do that many this year as we decided to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas at home. It has been a long time since I put up my 8 Christmas trees and I now have a Disney themed tree to add to the collection (all those trips this year got me a lot of ornaments for it).

It depends on what you are used to. I-95 really isn't that bad south of Richmond. If you are used to traffic at all with the time you are going you should be fine. Use I-295 around Richmond, less traffic, higher speed limit even though it's a couple of more miles it saves time.

We've done 295 around Richmond the last few trips and have found it to be a great route! My husband complained the first few times, thinking it was adding miles & time, but this route always seems almost empty! It's a nice break after going through NYC, Baltimore, and DC.

Next week at this time we will be driving to Disney world! We live in NYC, and have done this trip many times. Hopefully we will be leaving at 7am. The week before the trip is almost as exciting at the trip itself!

Let the countdown begin

I have been a lurker for a long time. We just purchased our first AP's.
Airfare seems expensive lately, so we are considering driving. It would be 2 adults 50 plus. We drove over 18 years ago and we don't remember all of the details from back then.
We live about 3 blocks from I-95, in Philadelphia, Woodhaven exit.

My question is roughly how much do you spend on gas, hotels, food, etc both ways.? I think the mileage is about 1,024 miles.
Also, what do you do differently, to make the ride home not as bad.?

Thanks for any info.

I have been a lurker for a long time. We just purchased our first AP's.
Airfare seems expensive lately, so we are considering driving. It would be 2 adults 50 plus. We drove over 18 years ago and we don't remember all of the details from back then.
We live about 3 blocks from I-95, in Philadelphia, Woodhaven exit.

My question is roughly how much do you spend on gas, hotels, food, etc both ways.? I think the mileage is about 1,024 miles.
Also, what do you do differently, to make the ride home not as bad.?

Thanks for any info.
I use this for gas http://www.gasbuddy.com/Trip_Calculator.aspx

We skip the hotel, pack snacks and our first meal and go through fast food for dinner.

We're early 60's and just did the drive from northeast Ohio (we usually do Amtrak).... Its 1050 miles for us.... No calculator, but our Nissan Rogue gets 30 miles to the gallon, divided into the total miles times the average price for gas...

We d like to a drive straight thru but it's too stressful and hectic anymore , especially driving at night... We stop better than half way...Hampton Inn and pick up the road the next morning early for about a 3-5 hour finish to WDW....usually Kingsland Ga, that's close to the Fla border...

We pack a cooler for food, grab coffee along the way or at gas stops, though not many and dinner on the road us never anything elaborate ....

Got to say the drive is not bad, but the train is more relaxing but time wise longer and about the same price...

The plan going down next month is to try to stay further south than Florence, Sc and maybe get to Savannah from here in Ct. We want a shorter drive the Saturday morning of check in, maximizing our time at the AoA, where were only staying in the Cars Suite the first 2 nights and then moving to Pop to save $$.

Last time, on our first trip, I drove straight thru on the way home, getting home at 5am and it was rough. We decided to meet up with my godfather in Jacksonville this time instead of coming straight home and will therefore stay over on way home to be safe.

I'm thinking that would put us maybe near northern Virginia or maybe even southern. Before I research on my own or do a search, can someone tell me where on I-95 in Virginia, where a good place would be to stop .

Of course, based on weather or if wife feels good and wants to drive (I can sleep in car, she can't), we may not stay over and alter plans.

Thanks, Sal.

Sal,

We will be driving down next week and used to stop in Florence, and then pushed it to Santee, and this year we are aiming for Savannah. We are in NYC, so have a little less driving than you. I booked a springhill suites room at the Savannah airport exit. It's just dh and myself so the extra driving will be fine. Coming home we are stopping at Roanoke Rapids, NC at the Hampton inn. We got a state government rate of 70 a night. They said its good as long as you work for any state govt, and my dh works for the mta, so that works.

I'll post my experience driving to Savannah once were there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter