• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only! (III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you want the All-Time Records (see page 1) updated/corrected to note the 2,074 miles or do you want it to remain at 2,020?

Please advise.

All the best. :thumbsup2

I guess I'd like it changed, I just checked and I did take a picture of the GPS on the way out of town going to WDW and it reads 3332km to the destination, which equals 2070 miles total. Not that it matters too much, as I'm sure we'll get bumped off the list someday by someone driving from Alaska or something! :rotfl:

I guess I'd like it changed, I just checked and I did take a picture of the GPS on the way out of town going to WDW and it reads 3332km to the destination, which equals 2070 miles total. Not that it matters too much, as I'm sure we'll get bumped off the list someday by someone driving from Alaska or something! :rotfl:

Updated! See page one, post #1.

All the best. :thumbsup2

its a sad sad day today. im not a writer or a speller as most of you can tell. but anyway, a few weeks ago, i found out we lost a friend from here on the 2000 plus driving thread to cancer.i was told by another person here on this thread and i seen it posted on the trip report thread but didnt reply to the post.
just a little story, a few years ago my wife tammy had a tumor on her optic nerve and lost her vision in one eye.out of the blue, i got a pm from someone here on this thread. she had cancer and just wanted to let me know if i needed someone to talk to, she was here. well we exchange stories, i lost my parents at a young age to cancer and from what she told me, hers was very slow moving. we texted and pmed alot and last year we got to meet each other in the magic kingdom. she was there with her husband and daughter. we sat for about an hour by the hall of pres. and just gabbed. what a great lady and family. i didnt hear from her in awhile and when we got the news, we were heart broken. we would like to send our prayers, thoughts and condolences to jon and the girls and the rest of the family. we only knew your mom, wife for a short time but we will miss her.
we will always think of sarah when we walk by the hall of pres. and the little bit of time we spent together and all the talks.
thanks for being a friend sarah!!!! we will miss you!!!!

its a sad sad day today. im not a writer or a speller as most of you can tell. but anyway, a few weeks ago, i found out we lost a friend from here on the 2000 plus driving thread to cancer.i was told by another person here on this thread and i seen it posted on the trip report thread but didnt reply to the post.
just a little story, a few years ago my wife tammy had a tumor on her optic nerve and lost her vision in one eye.out of the blue, i got a pm from someone here on this thread. she had cancer and just wanted to let me know if i needed someone to talk to, she was here. well we exchange stories, i lost my parents at a young age to cancer and from what she told me, hers was very slow moving. we texted and pmed alot and last year we got to meet each other in the magic kingdom. she was there with her husband and daughter. we sat for about an hour by the hall of pres. and just gabbed. what a great lady and family. i didnt hear from her in awhile and when we got the news, we were heart broken. we would like to send our prayers, thoughts and condolences to jon and the girls and the rest of the family. we only knew your mom, wife for a short time but we will miss her.
we will always think of sarah when we walk by the hall of pres. and the little bit of time we spent together and all the talks.

Sorry to hear this. :worried:

How sad, sorry to hear of a Dis friend loss. She sounded like a kind hearted soul and warm reaching out heart. Glad you had the memories of meeting to remember her with. Sorry to hear of Tammy's battle, prayers it is well healed now.

we just booked a Disney trip for Sept 2013...we cannot wait, but with a family of 6 and my mother going with us too, airfare for 7 puts the vacation out of our budget, so we are driving...live in Hershey PA...googled it and it says 993miles. We have never driven this far with our kids (they will be 13, 11, 10 and 5 when we go) plan on leaving around 2am and hope and pray the kids sleep the whole time it's dark...

I haven't read through most of this or the other two threads, but my question, I've noticed some of you say you hate driving on I-95...why is that? we are hoping that by leaving at 2am we will miss DC traffic and Richmond traffic. is there any reason some of you don't like going on 95 and prefer other routes?

Thanks bunches!!

feet1 said:
we just booked a Disney trip for Sept 2013...we cannot wait, but with a family of 6 and my mother going with us too, airfare for 7 puts the vacation out of our budget, so we are driving...live in Hershey PA...googled it and it says 993miles. We have never driven this far with our kids (they will be 13, 11, 10 and 5 when we go) plan on leaving around 2am and hope and pray the kids sleep the whole time it's dark...

I haven't read through most of this or the other two threads, but my question, I've noticed some of you say you hate driving on I-95...why is that? we are hoping that by leaving at 2am we will miss DC traffic and Richmond traffic. is there any reason some of you don't like going on 95 and prefer other routes?

Thanks bunches!!

Depends on where you live, being in northeast Ohio we use to do the Pa turnpike to Breezewood, truck route around DC to pick up 95 onto I-4 to WDW, but that was years ago.... Route 77 is quicker, easier and closer cutting of a lot of miles, time and stress....for us, 76 to 77 south, 26 to 95 and 95 to 4..... Bingo. Only 2 hours in the Virginia mountains and then smooth sailing from there .

Now a days I have trouble imagining a child strapped in a car seat for an hour let alone the whole trip, back in our day, children roamed free, could lay down and sleep plus move around.. we're 19 hours from Disney and earlier on in like drove with the children straight thru, first night either Smyrna Beach or Daytona so they could experience the ocean and me to unwind from the drive and then next day short drive to Disney getting in real early to get a quick start on the fun...

Now as empty nesters, wife and I prefer Amtrak doing the driving and we just sit back and relax... Time was about the same if we drove and spent a night on the road, money about the same, much less stress via the train....

Thanks bunches!!
hi feet!! we are leaving on sept 10th!!! ive driven it a few times and from where i live, nazareth (about an hour east of you) i can make it in 15 1/2 hours from my front door to old key west resort. do your self a big favor, get on i81 to i77 to i26 to i95. very easy, low traffic, you wont hit char. nc. at rush hour. the only time i dont go this way is in the winter. the winter i take i81 to i66 to 17 to i95. this way is about 16 1/2 hours for me. the prob. with the second way is you hit i95 above richmond. looooooots of traffic.

Thanks bunches!!

I95 near DC gets very confusing b/c there's off ramps on both sides of the road. We call it "the mixing bowl" Once you get past that it's smooth sailing.
We're 2 hours east of you. We break it down into 2 days to drive. Stop at South of the Border to stretch legs and wiggle. Sleep over at Savannah (there's a mall to walk to do some more leg stretching)

Thanks bunches!!
We live East of you near Kutztown and we've driven down a few times. We always prefer to go 78 to 81 to 77 to 26 and then pick up 95 in NC. That is our fav. way to drive, we avoid as much of 95 as possible :laughing:

feet1 said:

Thanks bunches!!

It depends on what you are used to. I-95 really isn't that bad south of Richmond. If you are used to traffic at all with the time you are going you should be fine. Use I-295 around Richmond, less traffic, higher speed limit even though it's a couple of more miles it saves time.

Thanks bunches!!

If you can really leave at 2 a.m., you'll hit DC around 4 a.m. and Richmond before 6 a.m. (even with a rest stop) using I-95, and be in Orlando without any major traffic snafus around 7 - 8 p.m. that night if you want to go straight through.

If you leave at 2 a.m. and take the inland route, assuming no traffic issues, you'll hit Charlotte at the tail end of rush hour.

So, I'd say this. If you are ready at 2 a.m., take the coastal route. If you are ready at 3 a.m. or later, take the inland route. :thumbsup2

YMMV! Have fun planning!

If you can really leave at 2 a.m., you'll hit DC around 4 a.m. and Richmond before 6 a.m. (even with a rest stop) using I-95, and be in Orlando without any major traffic snafus around 7 - 8 p.m. that night if you want to go straight through.

If you leave at 2 a.m. and take the inland route, assuming no traffic issues, you'll hit Charlotte at the tail end of rush hour.

So, I'd say this. If you are ready at 2 a.m., take the coastal route. If you are ready at 3 a.m. or later, take the inland route. :thumbsup2

YMMV! Have fun planning!

That is what we were thinking, but after reading people saying that they don't like to go on 95 I got worried...
by the way, what does YMMV stand for?
planning is so much fun..it's been 6 years since we planned a trip, planning is so much a part of the fun for me!

Sorry, YMMV = Your mileage may vary! :)

The other thing you can do is go coastal the way down and inland the way back! Esp. if you break up the way back into two days...

I95 near DC gets very confusing b/c there's off ramps on both sides of the road. We call it "the mixing bowl" Once you get past that it's smooth sailing. ....

That is so true. Gets me everytime I drive thru there. On top of looking at the signs and listening to my GPS.. :)

So upon looking closer to our route...seems since we are in south central pa we don't get in I95 until after DC. We take I believe route 15 through Gettysburg and pick up I270 in Fredrick Md then I495 around DC I95 rest of way...I like how google maps gives you estimated time with the current traffic...leaving at 2am will be our best bet. We don't want to stop and stay over night either way. We want to get to Mickey as soon as possible and coming home we have something already scheduled for the day after. So that's not an option.

Gonna start researching fun things for the car ride for the kids besides movies to keep them from fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter