Food & Wine & Friends, or 'Wishing a Year Away'. October 2012 PTR *NEW 11/18 TR link!

Anyone up for hearing about the plans for my May trip with Mark?

Day 1 will involve driving from his house to Bradley airport in Connecticut (most likely... there is still a chance Mark will drive out here and we'll fly out of Logan or Providence. Time will tell)

Either way, I insist on getting the earliest possible nonstop flight. That means we can get to Orlando nice and early!

Once we land, we can head to this lovely place to check in:
IMG_5866.jpg

That's Old Key West! Mark has never stayed there, but on my last trip Ben & I were here for one night. I liked it a lot (especially once I got the hang of the order of the bus stops) and not just because the Gurgling Suitcase is pretty much the best pool bar ever:

IMG_5588.jpg

I'm definitely looking forward to staying a bit longer here!

Once we are ready, we'll do something completely new for me....

DSC03526.jpg

DSC03519.jpg

marklaunchjoyce-1.jpg

Well, obviously we've been to Animal Kingdom before. But never as the first park of a trip! We'll spend the afternoon here, then head over to AKL for an early dinner at Boma.

Later, I will continue my ridiculous tradition of trying to make it to MK late EMH on arrival day. This really never works out well, yet I always try to make it work. There is the slight chance that my better judgement will prevail and we can just hang out with more of these:

IMG_5869.jpg

That's a Turtle Crawl... a delicious drink served up at the Gurgling Suitcase at OKW. There are worse ways to spend an evening!

Is that the pilot from ducktales?? He's in AK?? Never saw him!

OKW looks pretty. I've never stayed there. I've heard the rooms are the largest of the DVC resorts since that was the first one. And being a boat ride away from DTD never hurts. :)

Of course!! Share Away!!

Thanks! Planning in the May trip is helping a lot with the countdown to October!

Is that the pilot from ducktales?? He's in AK?? Never saw him!

OKW looks pretty. I've never stayed there. I've heard the rooms are the largest of the DVC resorts since that was the first one. And being a boat ride away from DTD never hurts. :)

That picture with Launchpad was from 2006, so I'm not sure if he's still around or not!

The rooms at OKW are pretty big! It's a very pretty resort.

The Gurgling Suitcase is pretty much the awesomest pool bar name ever :laughing:. I've never been to AK at the start of a trip either, but that is a great segue to Boma! Evening EMH hardly ever work out for me either...(or morning EMH, for that matter...:rotfl:)

Thanks! Planning in the May trip is helping a lot with the countdown to October!

October is so far away! Another trip inbetween to plan for and go on sure sounds like a good way to pass the time!

We are trying to sell our house and then buy a new house in Colorado so I am sure once the house sells here and that process proceeds and with moving at least a little bit of the time will go faster.

Your May plans sound good so far! :thumbsup2 I'm with you on getting the earliest nonstop flight to Orlando...I keep saying I'm not going to do it anymore, but...I can't resist! Love having a whole day there! :laughing:

OKW looks so pretty, and Gurgling Suitcase sounds awesome! That drink looks yummy!

I love the look of Old Key West! You guys will have a great time. And yeah, good luck getting to MK EMH. ;) Maybe you'll get struck with a burst of energy!

I love your tree! After a few days of having mine up, I finally actually decorated it on Tuesday. I think it always makes the house seem so cozy. :cloud9:

I love the old trip pictures! I can already tell that you and Mark are going to have a blast together.

October is so far away! Another trip inbetween to plan for and go on sure sounds like a good way to pass the time!

We are trying to sell our house and then buy a new house in Colorado so I am sure once the house sells here and that process proceeds and with moving at least a little bit of the time will go faster.

Buying and selling a house is a very good way to make time go by quickly! Good luck with the move!

Your May plans sound good so far! :thumbsup2 I'm with you on getting the earliest nonstop flight to Orlando...I keep saying I'm not going to do it anymore, but...I can't resist! Love having a whole day there! :laughing:

OKW looks so pretty, and Gurgling Suitcase sounds awesome! That drink looks yummy!

I figure that I'd be spending the day traveling even with a later flight, so I may as well be in Disney!

I love the look of Old Key West! You guys will have a great time. And yeah, good luck getting to MK EMH. ;) Maybe you'll get struck with a burst of energy!

I always go to MK EMH, but then I don't have any fun. But it's soooo hard to stay away!

I love your tree! After a few days of having mine up, I finally actually decorated it on Tuesday. I think it always makes the house seem so cozy. :cloud9:

I love the old trip pictures! I can already tell that you and Mark are going to have a blast together.

Thanks, it's a cute little tree. I wish I could have a tree all year!

On our second day, Mark and I will try to be up bright and early. That's not a problem for him, but it is for me. When we were in college, Mark would come to visit my room hoping I was awake. But since he didn't want to wake me up if I wasn't, he wouldn't knock- he'd tap on the door with one finger, hoping I'd hear it. It would wake me up and I'd be mad. But then we'd go get breakfast and I'd get over it :rotfl: That reminds me: I never explained how Mark and I know each other!
As you can probably figure out, we met in college. We lived on the same hall our freshman year and sat at a table with some other hallmates at our first dining hall meal. When I was coming home from class a couple of days later, Mark was outside the dorm and called me by name. I couldn't believe he remembered (since we had met a thousand new people since moving in!), and we were friends from then on. He's just the nicest guy who would do anything for you. He is also hilarious.

Back to our Day 2 plans:
Hopefully, we'll make it to the MK for park opening.
DSC03489.jpg

That's Mark posing with the 'picture spot'.

Adventures may include such shenanigans as these:
DSC03611.jpg

DSC03614.jpg

(sidenote: that stool is really close to the wall. Mark pretty much got stuck)

DSC03602-1.jpg

DSC03505-1.jpg

After that, we'll head over to Epcot, spending most of our time in the World Showcase.
DSC03434.jpg

DSC03435-1.jpg

DSC03439-1.jpg

DSC03445-1.jpg

That was the day I went Princess-nuts. There were no lines for any of them! Mark was too shy (for the first time ever :laughing: ), and they kept asking if he was my prince/beast/warrior. Then I would say 'no', and it would get all awkward.

We have dinner scheduled at Rose & Crown that day, one of our favorites. I haven't been there in a while and I am looking forward to it!

Day 2 sounds like fun! I need to be more proactive this trip and get pictures with characters. The only character pictures I have are from breakfasts.

Day 2 sounds like fun! I need to be more proactive this trip and get pictures with characters. The only character pictures I have are from breakfasts.

I hardly ever get character pics. But on that trip, we kept seeing princesses without lines! And once I had a couple, I wanted to stop for pictures with more. It was a lot of fun!

I need some help! I'm sure my very knowledgeable and wonderful readers can assist me...

I've been looking at the Tables in Wonderland card, and it definitely seems to make sense. Most of the places we plan to eat at are part of the program, and 20% is a good savings, especially with 4 adults worth of food and alcohol!
Do any of you have experience with it? Do you recommend it? And what may be a stupid question: is it good for a year?

I'll be getting an AP this spring, so this is the first time I've been eligible for one. Though I did hear that they are going to be making them available to DVC members as well (not sure what the price will be in that case). It just seems too good to be true, so I was hoping to hear from folks that have used it!

Day 2 sounds like fun! :thumbsup2

We had the Tables in Wonderland card and loved it! It cost us $75 (if I remember correctly) and I think they're actually good for 13 months. Not sure why. :confused3 It pretty much paid for itself after a couple of meals since dining at Disney is so expensive. I'd say that if you've got two trips planned within the year and you're going to be buying drinks, you can't go wrong with the card. It also adds 18% gratuity automatically, which I liked because it meant I didn't have to figure out the tip! :lmao: There was only one restaurant that we went to that didn't accept it, and that was Yak&Yeti. I know there are others, but it seems like most of the restaurants do take it now. Oh, and you can use it for yourself and up to 10 guests (or maybe it's 10 people total) so that would be great for your trip in October with your friends. :thumbsup2

Oh another trip! I'm a little late but joining in now! I've been in October two years in a row and the weather was fantastic. Hopefully you'll get Boardwalk, you can't beat the location and it's beautiful!

I need some help! I'm sure my very knowledgeable and wonderful readers can assist me...

I've been looking at the Tables in Wonderland card, and it definitely seems to make sense. Most of the places we plan to eat at are part of the program, and 20% is a good savings, especially with 4 adults worth of food and alcohol!
Do any of you have experience with it? Do you recommend it? And what may be a stupid question: is it good for a year?

I'll be getting an AP this spring, so this is the first time I've been eligible for one. Though I did hear that they are going to be making them available to DVC members as well (not sure what the price will be in that case). It just seems too good to be true, so I was hoping to hear from folks that have used it!

I've been going over whether to get a Dining Plan, TIW or pay OOP. In trying to decide I came across a thread on a different message board where someone created a spreadsheet to determine based on what you would order what is the better deal..

The thread is http://www.mouse*owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49186 (remove the asterisk from the middle!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter