Florida Gator football lovers: A perspective on your program

No we're talking about UF, not FSU

24 arrests by players on the football team. UF =Thug U.
Public Ivy :lmao:. So Ivy they fire professors and have horrible professor to student ratio.

can you link that and was that all this year? what about your other teams?

and quite frankly WHO CARES? There are plenty of other teams across the us that have had plently of players in trouble...the one most people seem to hate so much is the one that is NOT and was teh first sop to win the Heisman and has a Nat'l Champ ring.

No matter what he choses to do in life I am sure he will be great at it!

need to check.....................
posted by Jeremy Fowler on Jun 9, 2009 1:01:20 AM
Discuss This: Comments (54) | TrackBack (0) | Linking Blogs | Add to del.icio.us | Digg it
The Florida Gators are going for a third national title in four years, but three is no longer the only number that matters to some Gators fans. The tension has built so thick around the number 24 -- the reported arrests under Urban Meyer since 2005 -- that the Gators are no longer getting a pass off wins. When one arrest happens, fans can ignore it. When arrests pile up, everyone's paying attention.The Sentinel's Andrea Adelson pointed out that Gators arrests are no minor issue.

We're not here to designate blame. We're here to chronicle the 24 legal issues under Meyer so you know how Florida got to this point. Based on court records research and the help of sources, we're able to provide that blueprint.

Couple of footnotes:
--There have not been 24 different players arrested, or even 24 "arrests" where a player was booked into jail. But there have been at least 24 instances where a Gators player faced misdemeanor or felony CHARGES for a crime. Many lawyers and courthouse folks we spoke with expressed this simple fact -- a charge is technically an arrest, as long as the defendant is dished out a mandatory notice to appear in court. Not everyone agrees on that. That's why we're providing the information and you decide.
--Researching arrests isn't an exact science. There's always a player who could have gotten arrested in Virginia or North Carolina or Florida in the last four years.
--We're not counting the arrests of former Gators. Torrey Davis, Jon Demps and Jacques Rickerson were just a handful of players who spent the night in jail shortly after disbanding from the team.
--One legal case might surprise you. Riley Cooper's February misdemeanor charge for resisting an officer and failure comply with a police or fire department fell through the cracks.

JANORIS JENKINS
Charge: Misdemeanor affray and resisting arrest without violence for his role in a May 30, 2009 fight outside a downtown Gainesville night club.
Outcome: The State Attorney’s Office is currently investigating.
Team punishment: To be determined.

MARQUIS HANNAH
Charge: Felony burglary of an occupied dwelling unarmed and misdemeanor battery in late April 2009 for allegedly forcing his way into a Gainesville apartment and punching a man in the face.
Outcome: Case was dismissed due to lack of evidence, according to lawyer Huntley Johnson.
Team punishment: To be determined.

CARL JOHNSON
Charge: Misdemeanor violation of a sexual restraining order in February 2009 after getting on the same campus bus as an ex-girlfriend. The woman previously filed a petition claiming Johnson date-raped her on three occasions.
Outcome: All charges were dropped due to a lack of evidence.
Team punishment: Johnson never missed any time. Coach Urban Meyer said Johnson would remain on the team as long as the investigation checked out.

RILEY COOPER
Charge: Misdemeanor resisting an officer and failure comply with a police or fire department in February 2009. Campus police cited Cooper for not getting out of the way of a moving car upon police’s orders, according to Johnson.
Outcome: The case was dismissed.
Team punishment: Cooper played baseball during the spring, and it’s unknown whether Meyer sought out punishment.

CAM NEWTON
Charge: Felony counts of burglary, larceny and obstruction of justice in November after allegedly stealing a laptop from a UF student and throwing it out his dormitory window upon police suspicion.
Outcome: Newton received pre-trial deferment – common for a first-time offender – and is serving community service and probation time. The charges will disappear assuming he completes his obligations.
Team punishment: Meyer suspended Newton for the rest of the 2008 season. Newton transferred to Blinn (Texas) Junior College.

JACQUES RICKERSON
Charge #1: Misdemeanor possession of marijuana in February 2007.
Outcome: Charges were dropped without legal ramifications.
Charge #2: Felony domestic violence by strangulation and felony obstruction of justice after a November 2008 altercation with a girlfriend.
Outcome: Charges were reduced to misdemeanor status, then the Alachua County courts gave him two years probation without proceeding with the charges.
Team punishments: Rickerson was suspended for the 2007 season opener for the marijuana charge, then kicked off the team the morning of the domestic violence incident.

TORREY DAVIS
Charge: Misdemeanor knowingly driving with a suspended license on numerous occasions, including once in July 2008 and another in March 2009 – two weeks after he left the team – that placed him in jail.
Outcome: The July case was closed.
Team punishment: Davis was always in Meyer’s doghouse and hardly allowed to practice or play with the team for various academic and disciplinary reasons, so it’s safe to say Meyer suspended Davis for his crimes.

JAMAR HORNSBY
Charge #1: Cited for misdemeanor property damage and criminal mischief in April 2007 for allegedly throwing a man onto the hood of a car during a fight.
Outcome: Hornsby received deferred prosecution and the charge was later dismissed.
Charge #2: Unauthorized use of a credit card to obtain goods and services, a felony, along with misdemeanor larceny of a credit card for allegedly making more than 70 fradulent charges on the gas credit card of a female UF student who died seven months earlier.
Outcome: Charges were reduced to misdemeanors and Hornsby took a plea deal – probation and community service.
Team punishments: No punishment for first offense, kicked off the team for second offense. Hornsby served a previous five-game suspension, but it wasn’t for the first misdemeanor – it was for selling his complimentary tickets.

JERMAINE CUNNINGHAM
Charge: Misdemeanor battery in December 2007 for an altercation with a clerk at Jimmy John’s Gourmet Sandwich Shop in Gainesville. Cunningham allegedly threw paper cups at the clerk.
Outcome: Charges were dropped.
Team punishment: Cunningham played in Florida’s next game, the Capital One Bowl, but Meyer said he imposed physical punishment on Cunningham, who also couldn’t accept bowl-game gifts.

TONY JOINER
Charge: Felony theft in October 2007 for breaking into a car impound and retrieving his girlfriend’s car, which had been towed.
Team punishment: Joiner never missed game time, but Meyer stripped him of his captaincy.

RONNIE WILSON
Charge #1: Aggravated assault, battery and use of display of a concealed weapon during commission of a felony in April 2007 for shooting a semiautomatic rifle after a dispute with another man.
Outcome: Wilson pleaded no contest to battery and discharging a firearm. The felony charge was reduced to a misdemeanor and later dropped. Wilson was placed on two year’s probation and given 100 hours of community service.
Charge #2: Misdemeanor possession of marijuana in January 2008.
Outcome: The charge was dropped despite serving probation for his original arrest.
Charge #3: One count of battery and one count of assault for an altercation at an apartment complex in October.
Outcome: Nothing has been ruled on the case, according to court records.
Team punishments: Wilson was suspended for the entire 2007 season stemming from the gun charge, including a full-year suspension from University of Florida academics. Wilson rejoined the team in 2008 but was suspended and eventually kicked off after the third charge.

DUSTIN DOE
Charge: Misdemeanor affray and resisting arrest for his role in an April 2007 fight.
Team punishment: No suspension for Doe.

DORIAN MUNROE
Charge: Felony theft in May 2007 when he removed a University Police boot from his car and put it in his trunk.
Team punishment: No suspension for Munroe.

JOHN CURTIS
Charge: Misdemeanor violation of probation in May 2007 after failing to serve five hours of community service stemming from an alcohol citation.
Outcome: Curtis complied with the violation, served probation and the case was dismissed.
Team punishment: Curtis was in Meyer’s doghouse, but he was also injured, so it was difficult to tell why he was out.

BRANDON JAMES
Charge: Purchasing marijuana -- a felony -- along with misdemeanor possession of marijuana in June 2007.
Outcome: The felony charge was dropped due to a minuscule amount (8 grams); James served probation and community service stemming from the misdemeanor charge.
Team punishment: Suspended for one game, the 2007 opener against Western Kentucky.

AVERY ATKINS
Charge: Misdemeanor domestic battery in July 2006 after an altercation in Daytona Beach with the mother of his child. The initial investigation took place in June 2006 with Atkins facing accusations of felony false imprisonment along with the battery charge.
Outcome: Atkins received pre-trial intervention and both cases were eventually dropped.
Team punishment: Meyer immediately suspended Atkins, who then transferred to Bethune-Cookman, found legal trouble there and died in July 2007 from a drug overdose.

LOUIS MURPHY
Charge: Misdemeanor possession of marijuana in May 2006.
Outcome: Charges were dropped, and Murphy had to perform 12.5 hours of community service.
Team punishment: Murphy was suspended for three games during the 2006 season.

JON DEMPS
Charge: Misdemeanor driving with a suspended license in September 2006.
Outcome: Charges were dropped and Demps received six months probation.
Team punishment: Meyer kicked Demps off the team after the 2006 season reportedly for a marijuana-related incident. Demps worked out with the Gators later that summer but never played for UF again.

DAWAYNE GRACE
Charge #1: Misdemeanor charges of battery and theft in July 2005 stemming from a sworn complaint.
Outcome: Charges were dropped because victim did not wish to prosecute.
Charge #2: Misdemeanor violation of a city ordinance and disorderly conduct in October 2005 for his involvement in a fight. Eyewitnesses told police that Grace threw a punch.
Outcome: Grace completed a deferred prosecution program including 7.5 hours of community service.
Team punishment: Meyer suspended Grace indefinitely after the October arrest. Grace later transferred to Georgia Southern.

Hickvill+Football+Football player arrest = Charges dropped

These are just when players have been caught. I know a couple current players on the team and lets say they are less than good citizens.

I'll offer a perspective from a University of Tennessee fan (and we play Florida...I am anti-Gator all the way :lmao: )...

I was in the marching band for UT, and was on the sidelines quite often before the half (before we went on to play). What everyone saw during the Florida game is what happens almost every game, and just isn't caught on camera. There are facemasks (both incidental and flagrant), eye poking, pushing, trash-talking, and worse. Very little actually is shown on camera, and quite a bit happens away from where the ball is.

Do I think that what the Florida player (sorry...I'm blanking on the name) did was bad? You bet. Do I think the suspension/punishment was harsh enough? Maybe, maybe not. I would have done the whole Vandy game. I'm sure there are plenty more eyepokes and jabs that are never seen or caught.

Just my 2 cents...

Too bad. You'll be denying your kids the opportunity of the best education in Florida.

All this Gator hater stuff is so silly.

Well I will take my chances, I know PLENTY of people who are very successful
despite the fact that they didn't go to the almighty UF. Sorry but it isn't exactly the school itself I hate, (i do realize that it is a very good school) I just really can't stand about 95% of the fans and really don't want my kids being mixed up the all of the obnoxiousness of it. JMHO and it won't change.

:lmao:
The away games are just Gator Walk- (Which is soooooo much fun)-- with a few thousand opposing teams fans thrown in, all jockeying for position to see Tebow.:sad2:

We always wonder if the other fans actually ever go to see their team, they are so interested in ours.:confused3

State weekend, we stayed at the hotel the State players stayed at. There was hardly anyone around, a few kids asking for autographs of their players.

We went to UF's hotel---- :scared1: security was so tight- the officers saying "no pictures" to the fans.... roped off areas--- no one was allowed near them the day of the game.
There were lots of State fans there as well, all clamoring for Tebow.

My DD- age 14 ---was actually more impressed when she came face to face with Hernandez, and then when she saw R.Cooper--- it was all over then.:rotfl:

For true Gator fans... it's more than just the Timmy show. That's the difference.

I know these comments weren't meant to offend, but I feel the need to defend my school here! As a "true maroon" State fan who attends every home game, I can assure you that most of the fans present were there to see and cheer for State. Our fans are pretty darn loyal. Keep in mind that we don't have any national championship trophies or Heisman winners to speak of, so we love our team for who they are and how they represent our university. They're Bulldogs - they play tough and they never give up.

Since it's not every day that our fans get to see a Heisman winner up close and personal, I'm sure a lot of them were excited to catch a glimpse of Tebow. I think he's a great player. Hope he stays healthy for the remainder of the season. That concussion was scary.

At the Dawg Walk that day, my DD stood right beside a family of Gator fans who were eager to see their former OC and our HC Dan Mullen. I thought that was nice. We like what he's done with our program so far. :cheer2:

Well I will take my chances, I know PLENTY of people who are very successful
despite the fact that they didn't go to the almighty UF. Sorry but it isn't exactly the school itself I hate, (i do realize that it is a very good school) I just really can't stand about 95% of the fans and really don't want my kids being mixed up the all of the obnoxiousness of it. JMHO and it won't change.

I can't think of any school that I wouldn't send my kid to because of the football team's fans (although it would kil me if my son picked FSU, and I doubt we'd be able to afford UM.)

You must really be uncomfortable in Florida...It's the state's premier school and with an enrollment of 50 thousand at a time, and 340,000 alums, most of who are still in Florida, well, let's just say there are a lot of Gators around you at all times.

And it was still a premier school way back in 1979, my first year as a Gator --- when the football team didn't win a single game. And yet we still sold out the stadium most games, and we never stopped cheering for them, even with all the 5-6 seasons.

Football dynasties come and go. No team is up forever. This is the Gator's time now.

Preseason Rankings mean nothing! they are just speculation. It all matters how the teams play out. Florida has a pretty easy schedule when you look at the teams now.

I can't think of any school that I wouldn't send my kid to because of the football team's fans (although it would kil me if my son picked FSU, and I doubt we'd be able to afford UM.)

You must really be uncomfortable in Florida...It's the state's premier school and with an enrollment of 50 thousand at a time, and 340,000 alums, most of who are still in Florida, well, let's just say there are a lot of Gators around you at all times.

And it was still a premier school way back in 1979, my first year as a Gator --- when the football team didn't win a single game. And yet we still sold out the stadium most games, and we never stopped cheering for them, even with all the 5-6 seasons.

Football dynasties come and go. No team is up forever. This is the Gator's time now.

Pretty much am uncomfortable in Florida and I was born and raised here. I am 46 years old, and as long as I have known about the different colleges I have hated Florida, Sorry, it may be irrational but I can't stand the attitudes of most of the people that go there, sure there are some exceptions, but very few, and I don't want my kids to be one of them.

Preseason Rankings mean nothing! they are just speculation. It all matters how the teams play out. Florida has a pretty easy schedule when you look at the teams now.

well didn't you quote Iowa as well?? oh I forgot, you were the poster who posted the op when Tebow was hurt and admitted not being able to stand him and the hype he gets....so I will consider the source.

Pretty much am uncomfortable in Florida and I was born and raised here. I am 46 years old, and as long as I have known about the different colleges I have hated Florida, Sorry, it may be irrational but I can't stand the attitudes of most of the people that go there, sure there are some exceptions, but very few, and I don't want my kids to be one of them.

did you apply to UF? :confused3

holy 'tude! almost everyone I have encountered while attending school, while tailgaiting for X years as with most other SEC schools have been awesome. UT were jerks after the murders at UF but that has really been the only instance I have encountered?

In the ACC, when North Carolina/Duke/whatever weak ACC team beats a top ranked ACC team, it shows how overrated the ACC is
In the Pac 10, whenever USC loses to Washington/Oregon St., it shows how overrated USC was

Whenever Vanderbilt or Kentucky beats a top rated SEC team, it shows how much depth their is in the SEC.

SEC fans are the most warped college football fans in existence; plain and simple.

Football is religion in the South, they take it to a whole new level. The passion of SEC fans is unmatched. They are also crazy.

You want to know how I know this? even though I'm from the west coast? I was a great punter in high school, one of the best in the nation. Rated 3 stars, and I believe 9th in the nation. Was recruited and made my 3 campus visits to Colorado State, Mississippi State, and UAB. The things those southern schools do to recruit you was WAYYYYY different then how Colorado State ran things. No nothing was in NCAA violations per se, but it was def. an eye opener. The do anything to win mentality is different there. I learned you can't argue with the South about football because they take a blind eye approach. They have many reasons why their school is the best, and ignore the facts against it.

did you apply to UF? :confused3

holy 'tude! almost everyone I have encountered while attending school, while tailgaiting for X years as with most other SEC schools have been awesome. UT were jerks after the murders at UF but that has really been the only instance I have encountered?

OH believe me, I never applied to UF.

In the ACC, when North Carolina/Duke/whatever weak ACC team beats a top ranked ACC team, it shows how overrated the ACC is
In the Pac 10, whenever USC loses to Washington/Oregon St., it shows how overrated USC was

Whenever Vanderbilt or Kentucky beats a top rated SEC team, it shows how much depth their is in the SEC.

SEC fans are the most warped college football fans in existence; plain and simple.

Football is religion in the South, they take it to a whole new level. The passion of SEC fans is unmatched. They are also crazy.
You want to know how I know this? even though I'm from the west coast? I was a great punter in high school, one of the best in the nation. Rated 3 stars, and I believe 9th in the nation. Was recruited and made my 3 campus visits to Colorado State, Mississippi State, and UAB. The things those southern schools do to recruit you was WAYYYYY different then how Colorado State ran things. No nothing was in NCAA violations per se, but it was def. an eye opener. The do anything to win mentality is different there. I learned you can't argue with the South about football because they take a blind eye approach. They have many reasons why their school is the best, and ignore the facts against it.
one of the best in the nation? So who did you play for and can you link your stats?
I agree about our passion, but crazy no, that is pretty rude.

never actually played in college, hurt my leg the year before. My senior year in high school I had 48 punts for 1785 yards or just over 37 yards average with 8 inside the 20. Long was 68.
Also was 30 for 38 on XPs and 1 for 3 on FGs with a long 29. Also had a 55.3 kick off average with 1 touchback.

Went to high school in Northern California. If you want more information, PM me.

one of the best in the nation? So who did you play for and can you link your stats?
I agree about our passion, but crazy no, that is pretty rude.

You deserve it, I have been greeted with nothing but hostility from SEC fans. I am opened minded and just enjoy great football, but mention that a team is better than an SEC team, and it's like World War 3 just started.

When I watch football at the only sports bar on island, drunk tourists that are LSU/Florida/Alabama fans always come in and get wasted acting like idiots. They do nothing but yell and curse at us. I have had 2 punches thrown at me and 4 beers poured on me THIS YEAR! It's different fans every week but the result is usually the same.

I'll offer a perspective from a University of Tennessee fan (and we play Florida...I am anti-Gator all the way :lmao: )...

I was in the marching band for UT, and was on the sidelines quite often before the half (before we went on to play). What everyone saw during the Florida game is what happens almost every game, and just isn't caught on camera. There are facemasks (both incidental and flagrant), eye poking, pushing, trash-talking, and worse. Very little actually is shown on camera, and quite a bit happens away from where the ball is.

Do I think that what the Florida player (sorry...I'm blanking on the name) did was bad? You bet. Do I think the suspension/punishment was harsh enough? Maybe, maybe not. I would have done the whole Vandy game. I'm sure there are plenty more eyepokes and jabs that are never seen or caught.

Just my 2 cents...

Works both ways... we are FL fans, living in the heart of UT country... went to the UT/FL game at Neyland a few years ago - we had great seats, 50 yd line behind the FL team, so we had made some great signs to take in - stadium security told us signs weren't allowed - okay, until we got inside and saw all the UT signs! We will not return to the stadium for that game again - fans were just beyond believably ugly - the smack talk on the way in, and it was even worse on the way out (FL won)... More recently, DH parked at Lowe's - came out and his gas door was opened, windshield wipers turned out, and mirrors turned. We assumed his UF tag incited that.

I remember one call a few years ago - it was a bad, bad call against Florida ... even the local (Knoxville) news reported it as a bad call - Phil Fulmer was asked about it in his show - his reply was that there had been bad calls against TN before, so it was okay. Sounds a little like what Tebow said - some fouls get called, some don't - it all balances out in the end.

I think it was respectable that the team chose to punish the player - how many college teams step up and do what's right when they're not mandated to?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter