Fl Laws of the road....maybe a sticky should go up

Status
Not open for further replies.
While technically against the law, we use the emergency flashers while driving during Florida's heavy summer afternoon thunderstorms when it's impossible for you to see the tail lights of the vehicle in front of you without them and the vehicle behind can't see you either without them. It's also very unsafe to pull to the side of the road so this is the only choice we have. I've never heard of anyone being ticketed for it.

As for the earlier discussion about yellow lights, you most definitely can enter an intersection on yellow. And if you're in an intersection when it turns red, you have the right of way to clear that intersection before traffic with green is allowed to proceed.

BobK/Orlando

actually, no you do not have the right away to clear an intersection when entering it on a yellow and it turns red. Yellow is the warning that it will turn red and if you proceed and it turns red while doing so you can and will get a ticket if an officer decides to do so. I guess you have been lucky enough to never been caught, but don't worry, sooner or later your number will be up, especially if it is at an intersection with a camera.. ;) What you are doing is running a red light, not clearing an intersection.

Thanks for clarifing what I said earlier.......

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/402032/jessie-lynne-kerr/2010-09-16/using-flashers-rain-no-no

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20100613/NEWS/100619764

Four-way emergency flashers should only be used while your vehicle is legally stopped or disabled on the highway or shoulder.
http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=212

:lmao: and clearing the intersection is technically running a red light too, but poster doesn't see that one ...:rotfl:
......and we wonder why our roads are the way they are.. well technically it is illegal but..... we do it anyway because this is Flori-duh :rolleyes1

Ohio has the rain + wipers = lights on law.. Most Ohioans dont even know it lol.. Plus I use rain-x washer fluid and such, and I hardly ever use my wipers except in a full blown gully washer lol, so I guess I dont need to turn my lights on :).

We drove home from NC today, and I just laugh at the people that either just arent paying attention, or just flat out think they own the road and are in that left damn lane and just do NOT move over... They are doing 65 in a 70 and there is no one in the middle / right lane and they just dont get over. You just see people waiting, then going around them lol.. I just really thing many people dont really care about what other people think on the road. Pretty sure they are just like that in many aspects of their lives. They are the most important thing.

Now let's put the full portions of what you quoted here..

5.27 - Traffic Lanes
Always drive on the right side of a two-lane highway except when passing. If the road has four or more lanes with two-way traffic, drive in the
right lanes except when overtaking and passing. Left lanes on some interstate roads are reserved for car pool vehicles with two or more
occupants in the car
- watch for diamond signs in the median. The center lane of a three-lane or five-lane highway is used only for turning left.
........can you tell me where it says that you cannot drive in the left lane on the interstate? I was on I-4, I means Interstate.. completely legal to be driving in that left lane! Read all of what it states, this is not a 2 lane highway, but an interstate! I know my roads, and know my rules.

Uhm, it says it right in what you quoted; are you kidding?

"If the road has four or more lanes with two-way traffic, drive in the
right lanes except when overtaking and passing."

5.9.1 - Driving Too Slowly is also Against the Law
Drive with the flow of traffic (within the speed limit). You should not drive so slowly that you block other vehicles moving at normal, safe speeds.
When driving slower than the flow of traffic, keep right so others may safely pass. You can be issued a ticket for driving too slowly. When the
posted speed limit is 70 mph, the minimum speed limit is 50 mph
..... so if the speed limit is 65 and you are doing 70, you are NOT going too slow....

You may want to take note on this one... seems it is ok to speed for you if you are in the left lane.. but it doesn't say that in the very handbook you quoted from...
5.9 - Speed Limits
Speed causes many crashes. More drivers are convicted of speeding than any other offense. To avoid being fined or involved in a crash, obey
the speed limits. Speed is very important in a collision. If you double the speed of a car, you increase its force of impact four times. If you triple
the speed, the impact is nine times as great.

It doesn't say anyplace in there that it's ok to speed anyplace. It's generally considered acceptable to exceed the limit in order to pass but that's momentary and still technically illegal.

I am not trying to be a know it all, I may not have used the correct words (rain/wipers), I assumed others would have realized what I meant, but not all did. I am only trying to help someone avoid a situation that may be unpleasant. If those that seem to think I am wrong, or want to continue to get on me for my wording of my post, so be it. Take it for what it is. If not, I only tried to help. I know the FL State laws of the road.... I am 55 and have been driving for many many many years (let's see, gas was 53 cents a gallon). I am a safe driver, with a clean record. I have never caused an accident (thank God), and do not plan to. Say what you want, I don't care. I merely wanted to help.. however we always have the doubting Thomas's.

I guess help is not what this board is all about anymore now is it?:confused3
Help is fine. The problem is when you put out incorrect information listed as "help". Some of what you put in the OP is wrong, some of what you posted is common in all 50 states. This is no different than someone saying "you don't need to pay for seat selection when you're traveling with kids... the FA will get someone to move for you".

And still... you say you're a "safe" driver, but you continued to be slower than other traffic while you were in the left lane and there was room to move to the right. :confused3

No, I'm not the best driver. I've caused accidents. I've gotten speeding tickets. But I'm not on an internet message board saying "these are the laws of the state".

Some are not aware of the headlights on when wipers are on fact.. if you want to leave out the other items.. I think this should be placed somewhere. I know once I had mentioned this on one of the boards and someone thanked me because they were going during the summer months and did not know it. They were driving and not renting a car. Not all states have this rule. Not everyone stops to think of the various rules of the roads they are driving on when coming down. Maybe a sticky to the effect about double checking the rules of the roads they are traveling on... it could be a plus for travelers.. especially those who are so consumed in the park planning but forgot the getting there planning. Not everyone thinks all aspects out ahead of time.... :goodvibes
And yet again....there is no law regarding this. Yes, if it rains, you have your wipers on. And yes, it says that if it's raining, foggy or smokey, your lights go on. But that doesn't mean that your wipers should automatically go on when your headlights go on. My headlights are on 100% of the time...my wipers are not.

there is most certainly a law for the headlights. You can call your family up and ask. Any officer can and will tell you that one right off the top of their head! and yes, you are somewhat correct, they are rules pretty much as other states have.. and some others do have this headlight law.. ;)

http://archive.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.217.html
Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES

Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL

View Entire Chapter
316.217 When lighted lamps are required.—
(1) Every vehicle operated upon a highway within this state shall display lighted lamps and illuminating devices as herein respectively required for different classes of vehicles, subject to exceptions with respect to parked vehicles, under the following conditions;
(a) At any time from sunset to sunrise including the twilight hours. Twilight hours shall mean the time between sunset and full night or between full night and sunrise.
(b) During any rain, smoke, or fog.

Now if you have your wipers on, it is raining correct.. so when you have your wipers on, you are to have your headlights on.. that is the law.. if it is raining to where you are using your wipers, you must use your headlights. Rule of thumb.. wipers.. headlights.. get it now??? you even stated rain, why else would you be using your wipers on a steady basis.. it isn't meant that you turn them on when you wash your windshield??? Rain = windshield wipers. If you don't have your wipers on in the rain, they will give you a ticket, if you don't have your lights on in the rain they will give you a ticket. simple as that.... so, when you have your wipers on and no lights, that equals a ticket.. do you understand now. They don't have to say you have to use your wipers, most people understand that when it is raining, you use your wipers..:goodvibes

I suggest you talk to your Officer (cop) family member about the rules of the roads here in FL. I admit, I don't know the rules of the road where you live, but I do where I live...:goodvibes and I know I can legally drive in the left lane on the interstate with the flow of traffic and I must use my headlights if I am using my wipers (and I use my wipers when it rains :rotfl:)

I do think the wording of the learners permit book is a bit confusing and not fully explaining laws. They are telling the learner what and what not to do, but not stating what is and what is not legal, get what I am trying to say. Sure, drive to the right as much as you can, expect for passing, but it most certainly is not illegal to drive in the left lane as long as you are going with the flow of traffic. If that were the case, they would not be able to pull you over and ticket you for going to slow in the left lane now would they? In Fl they can do that..

That handbook is a guide, it doesn't state the laws. The laws are in the Fl Statues. I have posted the link several times here. Like I said, check with your family members, or just read the Statues.. :goodvibes :flower3:
And yet again, the 'rule' that you stated said that the left lane if for passing/overtaking other vehicles. With that rule in mind, if there are no cars in the middle lane, that you are actively passing/overtaking, you are not supposed to be in the left lane. You are now treating it as a 'travel lane'. Sorry but that's what your rule stated.

actually, no you do not have the right away to clear an intersection when entering it on a yellow and it turns red. Yellow is the warning that it will turn red and if you proceed and it turns red while doing so you can and will get a ticket if an officer decides to do so. I guess you have been lucky enough to never been caught, but don't worry, sooner or later your number will be up, especially if it is at an intersection with a camera.. ;) What you are doing is running a red light, not clearing an intersection.
And again, you said earlier that if you go through an intersection, on a yellow light, you would be ticketed. You are now saying that yellow is the warning that it will turn red...which is what some of us said in response to your earlier statements. And you said no, yellow means you can't go through the intersection. Now??? You've changed your mind and said that if you go through on red, you get a ticket..which is correct.

Here's the thing.....you have posted one thing, many times, and then when questioned, have come back and changed what you say. And that's the issue some here have. You are not supposed to use the left lane, of an interstate, as a travel lane. It is for passing/overtaking...per the guidelines you brought up.
Yes, the Florida rules are lights on when it's raining. And one would assume that if it's raining, your wipers will be on. I'm sorry about the cracked windshield, but I fail to understand how a cracked windshield prevented anyone from using the wipers. If the windshield was bad enough that wipers couldn't be used, then it should have been towed.

This discussion isn't going anywhere...it is close to being done.

If someone wants to pass you going 110 in the left lane, move over and let them. We have cops for a reason, please let them do their job. People should not be trying to prevent other drivers from speeding, it will only cause road rage and more accidents.

I'll give you two stories that stick out in my mind. One is my own.

When I was a kid, around 17 or so. Some jerk was riding my behind and I decided to slam on the breaks to teach him a lesson. The guy pulled up next to me and whipped out a gun. I don't think he had any intention to use it. He was trying to scare me. The guy was a total ***. But it did make me realise that I am not a cop. I am not equipped to deal with these jerks and it's not my job to.

Also, when I lived in Idaho, there was an incident where two cars got into it with each other over one of them tailgaiting. In the end, they caused an accident. A car with a baby and the parents got caught in the middle and were killed. The two cars that started it, lived.

Just use manners people. Use the left lanes for passing. Let other people over. Try to be nice and not worry about the arrogant jerks who are doing things they shouldn't be. You can't drive 2 miles in Florida without running into them. It's not worth getting upset about. Let the cops do their jobs.

KINGBOB... said:
As for the earlier discussion about yellow lights, you most definitely can enter an intersection on yellow. And if you're in an intersection when it turns red, you have the right of way to clear that intersection before traffic with green is allowed to proceed.
Again, the solid yellow light is an alert the red light is coming - not a challenge to see how many drivers can get through it and the subsequent red before traffic with the right of way proceeds.
http://www.driversedguru.com/drivin...xtras/what-to-do-when-the-light-turns-yellow/
This question and answers http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/374640 refer to left turns - but the last response especially clearly applies to the Florida yellow/red light law in general.

If someone wants to pass you going 110 in the left lane, move over and let them. We have cops for a reason, please let them do their job. People should not be trying to prevent other drivers from speeding, it will only cause road rage and more accidents.

I'll give you two stories that stick out in my mind. One is my own.

When I was a kid, around 17 or so. Some jerk was riding my behind and I decided to slam on the breaks to teach him a lesson. The guy pulled up next to me and whipped out a gun. I don't think he had any intention to use it. He was trying to scare me. The guy was a total ***. But it did make me realise that I am not a cop. I am not equipped to deal with these jerks and it's not my job to.

Also, when I lived in Idaho, there was an incident where two cars got into it with each other over one of them tailgaiting. In the end, they caused an accident. A car with a baby and the parents got caught in the middle and were killed. The two cars that started it, lived.

Just use manners people. Use the left lanes for passing. Let other people over. Try to be nice and not worry about the arrogant jerks who are doing things they shouldn't be. You can't drive 2 miles in Florida without running into them. It's not worth getting upset about. Let the cops do their jobs.

Similar story. About 25 years ago, I was heading off someplace. I thought I had plenty of room to move into the oncoming traffic. Well...evidently I didn't see the motorcycle that was moving along down the road. And evidently, the rider felt that I had cut him off. I hadn't but I guess 'cut off' is a relative phrase. So...this guy followed me for miles....right on my bumper. As we got to an underpass, with no other traffic around, he passed me, and came to a complete stop..right in front of me. I stopped the car..stupid, stupid, stupid...he got off the bike with some kind of wrench in his hand....:scared1: I stepped on the gas, hard, took off around him...which evidently made him even madder. I flew onto the ramp, onto the interstate, with him right behind me...I have never been more scared!!!! I got off the interstate, drove into a gas station, and went inside. The owner could see how upset I was....he called the police. The motorcyclist passed by, slowly. The police came along shortly thereafter and went off in search.
I got into my car and went on my way......but still shaken. Talk about road rage. So yeah...I get it, I really do. Perception is reality people. You may think you were in the right, but if the nutcase behind you thinks you were wrong, it doesn't much matter. You can take your 'rightness' right to the hospital or worse yet, the grave, with you. I won't be making that mistake again...I now look many, many times before heading out into traffic or before moving in front of another car.

Just because I'm right doesn't make it okay.....I've learned my lesson.:hippie:

Similar story. About 25 years ago, I was heading off someplace. I thought I had plenty of room to move into the oncoming traffic.

According to my BIL in Texas, cars on the interstate must yield to oncoming traffic.

Yikes, that's truely scary! I think when it happened to me, the guy with the gun wasn't expecting a 17 year old girl. I really don't think he would have shot me, but his scare tactic certainly worked. He might have been in the wrong, but as you said...how do you argue with a nut case?

I still get angry when people tailgate me. I still have the urge to slam on the breaks. But I always think back to that. I'm a mom and would like to come home to my kids. I just get out of their way and try not to let it bother me.

According to my BIL in Texas, cars on the interstate must yield to oncoming traffic.
I don't think that's right. Think about it... interstate traffic is going 70+ MPH. A car coming on from an entrance ramp is doing about 60 at best. The guy going 70+ MUST slow down?

While I do believe it is courteous for the car already on the limited-access highway to move into the other lane (when they can safely do so), I don't think they MUST yield to cars coming on.

In my case, I was making a left hand turn, into traffic going in both directions....through the center of a town. The main road was basically a lane going in each direction..not an interstate at that point.

I don't think that's right. Think about it... interstate traffic is going 70+ MPH. A car coming on from an entrance ramp is doing about 60 at best. The guy going 70+ MUST slow down?

While I do believe it is courteous for the car already on the limited-access highway to move into the other lane (when they can safely do so), I don't think they MUST yield to cars coming on.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong(tried looking it up), but I can see it forces the cars already on the road to make room for the cars merging in.

I don't think this is the right site or if it is my BIL or DW is reading it wrong.

http://www.texashighwayman.com/laws.shtml#YieldOnAccRd

Again this is from my BIL to my DW to me.

But I also found this too.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_is_a_failure_to_yield_to_oncoming_traffic_ticket_in_Texas

Maybe I'm reading it wrong(tried looking it up), but I can see it forces the cars already on the road to make room for the cars merging in.

I don't think this is the right site or if it is my BIL or DW is reading it wrong.

http://www.texashighwayman.com/laws.shtml#YieldOnAccRd

Again this is from my BIL to my DW to me.

But I also found this too.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_is_a_failure_to_yield_to_oncoming_traffic_ticket_in_Texas

I 'think' that they are talking about access roads, or as they call them there, 'frontage' roadways. I assume that means roadways that provide access as well as exit abilities to and from the highway, but not the actual highway. So....when I read that, I 'think' is says that cars going onto the highway must yield to the cars exiting the highway....not that the cars on the highway must yield to entering cars. But, I could be reading it wrong. We don't have that particular type road here in Mass.

I 'think' that they are talking about access roads, or as they call them there, 'frontage' roadways. I assume that means roadways that provide access as well as exit abilities to and from the highway, but not the actual highway. So....when I read that, I 'think' is says that cars going onto the highway must yield to the cars exiting the highway....not that the cars on the highway must yield to entering cars. But, I could be reading it wrong. We don't have that particular type road here in Mass.
I agree. Here's the description of the law...
This law is quite simple: if you're on the frontage road (a.k.a. access road, feeder road, service road, or gateway) of a freeway or expressway, then you must yield to traffic exiting or entering the freeway or expressway. This law covers all entrance and exit ramps, even if there are no yield signs. Even if the traffic leaving the freeway merges into a separate lane, you are still technically required to yield. After all, they may want to quickly move over to the right lane to turn. Note, though, that yielding does not necessarily mean stopping
Notice the bold. This only applies to frontage roads, NOT the highway itself.

We have few around my house. We call them on off ramps. Such that if you were merging on to the expressway and didn't move over you would exit again.

And yet again....there is no law regarding this. Yes, if it rains, you have your wipers on. And yes, it says that if it's raining, foggy or smokey, your lights go on. But that doesn't mean that your wipers should automatically go on when your headlights go on. My headlights are on 100% of the time...my wipers are not.

Frankly, I think you are being extraordinarily nitpicky about this point. The state of Florida uses the mnemonic of wipers on headlights. It's even In the literature if some rental companies. It's a mnemonic to help people remember that the law is lights on when raining. Since when it's raining it's near 100% certain your wipers are on its not a bad mnemonic. The op was simply trying to let out of state people know that some laws are different in Florida. That's not a bad thing and there is no need to split hairs about it. A sticky to help travelers not break the law seems appropriate to me.

Have the "cashless" tolls been implemented in Orlando, yet? I know the highways down in Miami are all speedpass/cashless, now. I'd heard Orlando was going that way, too....just wondering if the change over is complete (or will be complete in the near future...say by December?).

Some cars automatically turn on the headlights whenever you use the wipers. People driving a rental car might not realize the difference.

I note point 1 in the OP is wrong. People suggesting a sticky listing the rules of the road should take the time and make sure they get it right.

For sure, some cars do automatically turn on the headlights when the wipers go on, but, not all do. Mine does not, but, I drive with my lights on all the time, so it is not an issue.

I was making comments about the "natives" not the "tourists". It is nice to have laws, but, it is rather silly to expect tourists to follow the rules when the natives do not and have no clue (not referring to the OP) what they are or simply don't care.

As to point 1 in the OP's post, Jeb Bush vetoed a passing lane law in 2005. There was another bill introduced last year. I am not sure if it passed and if our present idiot governor signed it. I cannot seem to find anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter