Fl Laws of the road....maybe a sticky should go up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Often during our "flash monsoon" rain storms, people drive with their emergency flashers on. Please don't, this is dangerous. From the 2012 handbook:
. . . Four-way emergency flashers should only be used while your vehicle is legally stopped or disabled on the highway or shoulder.

Often during our "flash monsoon" rain storms, people drive with their emergency flashers on. Please don't, this is dangerous. From the 2012 handbook:
. . . Four-way emergency flashers should only be used while your vehicle is legally stopped or disabled on the highway or shoulder.

OMW! That drives me NUTS!!!! Where I come from flashers means "I am pulling over-something is wrong" and then you see people driving for MILES on I-4 with flashers!

what about those that turn their brights on in fog...:scared1: that is the worst thing you can do! Never turn your brights on in fog.. use fog lights.. if you don't have fog lights, still do no use your brights.....

This is not in any rule book per say, but in NY when someone flashed their lights at you in the opposite direction, that meant that police were up ahead. Do that down here in FL and it could end up 2 ways..

You can get a ticket (it is being fought to throw those tickets out)

or...

You can flash the wrong person and they may think it is a "gang" sign.. yep, that is what the word on the streets are down by me..

So a word of caution, don't flash your lights for any reason to on coming traffic.

There will be no sticky regarding this issue. Florida doesn't have outrageous rules of the road...so it shouldn't be too difficult for people to figure hot to drive down there.
Common courtesy people, common courtesy.

Some are not aware of the headlights on when wipers are on fact.. if you want to leave out the other items.. I think this should be placed somewhere. I know once I had mentioned this on one of the boards and someone thanked me because they were going during the summer months and did not know it. They were driving and not renting a car. Not all states have this rule. Not everyone stops to think of the various rules of the roads they are driving on when coming down. Maybe a sticky to the effect about double checking the rules of the roads they are traveling on... it could be a plus for travelers.. especially those who are so consumed in the park planning but forgot the getting there planning. Not everyone thinks all aspects out ahead of time.... :goodvibes

Yellow, legally by definition, means, slow down, proceed with caution. Red means stop. And I highly doubt it is different in Florida. Of course, I can check with my step-sister...she is pretty 'up' on the rules of the road..at least in Broward County. She's a cop over there!!!

I have also just checked the Florida official site for road rules. I see nothing about windshield wipers and headlights being on. Yes, headlights on between sunset and sunrise, or during rain, smoke or fog. But it surely doesn't mention windshield wipers.
And that whole you can stay in the left lane?? Sort of...the rules say that the left lane is for passing and/or overtaking another vehicle. If not passing you should be in the right lanes.

These are all pretty much the same rules of the road that other states have.
there is most certainly a law for the headlights. You can call your family up and ask. Any officer can and will tell you that one right off the top of their head! and yes, you are somewhat correct, they are rules pretty much as other states have.. and some others do have this headlight law.. ;)

http://archive.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.217.html
Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES

Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL

View Entire Chapter
316.217 When lighted lamps are required.—
(1) Every vehicle operated upon a highway within this state shall display lighted lamps and illuminating devices as herein respectively required for different classes of vehicles, subject to exceptions with respect to parked vehicles, under the following conditions;
(a) At any time from sunset to sunrise including the twilight hours. Twilight hours shall mean the time between sunset and full night or between full night and sunrise.
(b) During any rain, smoke, or fog.

Now if you have your wipers on, it is raining correct.. so when you have your wipers on, you are to have your headlights on.. that is the law.. if it is raining to where you are using your wipers, you must use your headlights. Rule of thumb.. wipers.. headlights.. get it now??? you even stated rain, why else would you be using your wipers on a steady basis.. it isn't meant that you turn them on when you wash your windshield??? Rain = windshield wipers. If you don't have your wipers on in the rain, they will give you a ticket, if you don't have your lights on in the rain they will give you a ticket. simple as that.... so, when you have your wipers on and no lights, that equals a ticket.. do you understand now. They don't have to say you have to use your wipers, most people understand that when it is raining, you use your wipers..:goodvibes

I suggest you talk to your Officer (cop) family member about the rules of the roads here in FL. I admit, I don't know the rules of the road where you live, but I do where I live...:goodvibes and I know I can legally drive in the left lane on the interstate with the flow of traffic and I must use my headlights if I am using my wipers (and I use my wipers when it rains :rotfl:)

I do think the wording of the learners permit book is a bit confusing and not fully explaining laws. They are telling the learner what and what not to do, but not stating what is and what is not legal, get what I am trying to say. Sure, drive to the right as much as you can, expect for passing, but it most certainly is not illegal to drive in the left lane as long as you are going with the flow of traffic. If that were the case, they would not be able to pull you over and ticket you for going to slow in the left lane now would they? In Fl they can do that..

That handbook is a guide, it doesn't state the laws. The laws are in the Fl Statues. I have posted the link several times here. Like I said, check with your family members, or just read the Statues.. :goodvibes :flower3:

he was driving and it started to drizzle. He could not put on the wipers, but it wasn't raining so he figured he was OK. He got pulled over and got a ticket for no wipers on!!!!:headache: yes, no wipers on got him a ticket..

Drizzle = rain

Rain = windshield wipers. If you don't have your wipers on in the rain, they will give you a ticket, if you don't have your lights on in the rain they will give you a ticket. simple as that.... so, when you have your wipers on and no lights, that equals a ticket.. do you understand now. They don't have to say you have to use your wipers, most people understand that when it is raining, you use your wipers..:goodvibes

It seems that the issue most folks have is the original post was conflating bad/inconsiderate driving near WDW with some sort of entitlement related to people going to WDW.

I see the kind of insane tailgating and generally idiotic driving (including people crossing multiple lanes of traffic to reach exits, usually without signalling) almost every time I drive to or from work. I'm not even talking of downtown driving, just highway from suburb to suburb.

there is most certainly a law for the headlights. You can call your family up and ask. Any officer can and will tell you that one right off the top of their head! and yes, you are somewhat correct, they are rules pretty much as other states have.. and some others do have this headlight law.. ;)

http://archive.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.217.html
Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLES

Chapter 316
STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL

View Entire Chapter
316.217 When lighted lamps are required.—
(1) Every vehicle operated upon a highway within this state shall display lighted lamps and illuminating devices as herein respectively required for different classes of vehicles, subject to exceptions with respect to parked vehicles, under the following conditions;
(a) At any time from sunset to sunrise including the twilight hours. Twilight hours shall mean the time between sunset and full night or between full night and sunrise.
(b) During any rain, smoke, or fog.

Now if you have your wipers on, it is raining correct.. so when you have your wipers on, you are to have your headlights on.. that is the law.. if it is raining to where you are using your wipers, you must use your headlights. Rule of thumb.. wipers.. headlights.. get it now??? you even stated rain, why else would you be using your wipers on a steady basis.. it isn't meant that you turn them on when you wash your windshield??? Rain = windshield wipers. If you don't have your wipers on in the rain, they will give you a ticket, if you don't have your lights on in the rain they will give you a ticket. simple as that.... so, when you have your wipers on and no lights, that equals a ticket.. do you understand now. They don't have to say you have to use your wipers, most people understand that when it is raining, you use your wipers..:goodvibes
I don't see the part I bolded in your post, but it was exactly the point I was going to bring up. NO. Just because you have your wipers on does NOT mean it's raining. Let's see... using the clean/spray to clean your windshield will turn on your wipers. Mist could mean you turn on your wiper. Oh, what about, after a rain (the rain has stopped), the car in front of you is kicking up spray making you turn your wipers on.

Yes, if it's raining, you turn on your wipers and FL wants you to turn your lights on if it's raining. But that's not what your OP said. Am I arguing semantics? Maybe. But the law *IS* semantics.

Drizzle = rain

I know.. he felt he didn't need them.. I agree with you.. he got the ticket... I am not going to argue with you.. :goodvibes but you do agree that drizzle =rain=wipers=headlights.. don't use= get a ticket...for each offense ;) that is my point.

I don't see the part I bolded in your post, but it was exactly the point I was going to bring up. NO. Just because you have your wipers on does NOT mean it's raining. Let's see... using the clean/spray to clean your windshield will turn on your wipers. Mist could mean you turn on your wiper. Oh, what about, after a rain (the rain has stopped), the car in front of you is kicking up spray making you turn your wipers on.

Yes, if it's raining, you turn on your wipers and FL wants you to turn your lights on if it's raining. But that's not what your OP said. Am I arguing semantics? Maybe. But the law *IS* semantics.

getting picky on your wording.. rule of thumb.. use your wipers use your headlights.. meaning rain.. not for cleaning your window. I thought that message was related here, I guess not all can comprehend it... sorry.:upsidedow If you are using your wipers to clean your window an officer is not going to pull you over and ticket you. Use your wipers because it is raining and they will if your headlights are not on. Hmmm how do the cars work it when the lights come on automaticly once the wipers are on :lmao: do they come on when you are cleaning your windows too.. seriously????:lmao: I know I am laughing because I can just picture this.. each time you clean your window your lights go on and off.. imagine the car in front of you :rotfl:

I will correct the post and add the word "rain" in to it

I know.. he felt he didn't need them.. I agree with you.. he got the ticket... I am not going to argue with you.. :goodvibes but you do agree that drizzle =rain=wipers=headlights.. don't use= get a ticket...for each offense ;) that is my point.
Did he get a ticket for not having his headlights on with his wipers or not having the headlights on in the rain? Two different issues.

Did he get a ticket for not having his headlights on with his wipers or not having the headlights on in the rain? Two different issues.

he had the lights on.. he could not put the wipers on the window was broken. he also felt he could see. when he told me what happened. I told him he should have just pulled over and waited for the drizzle to stop and then go. He was afraid the window place would be closed if he did that. He hit our mailbox coming into our driveway! He didn't want me to know so he was trying to hurry up and get it fixed.. he was a jerk! he should have just told me, called them to come to the house and none of that would have happened.. but tell that to a 20 year old...

OMW! That drives me NUTS!!!! Where I come from flashers means "I am pulling over-something is wrong" and then you see people driving for MILES on I-4 with flashers!

While technically against the law, we use the emergency flashers while driving during Florida's heavy summer afternoon thunderstorms when it's impossible for you to see the tail lights of the vehicle in front of you without them and the vehicle behind can't see you either without them. It's also very unsafe to pull to the side of the road so this is the only choice we have. I've never heard of anyone being ticketed for it.

As for the earlier discussion about yellow lights, you most definitely can enter an intersection on yellow. And if you're in an intersection when it turns red, you have the right of way to clear that intersection before traffic with green is allowed to proceed.

BobK/Orlando

I will correct the post and add the word "rain" in to it
The problem is the LAW (which you quoted: http://archive.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.217.html) says NOTHING about turning on lights when your wipers are on. Period. Now, that might be how you remember to turn on the lights (wipers = lights), but that is NOT THE LAW, which is what you claimed. If the Florida statue says you must turn on your lights when you turn your wipers on, please provide a link saying so.

It is truly a shame that these laws are not enforced. One of my biggest pet peeves is when it rains, people do NOT put on their lights. Or, the idiot going 40 in the passing lane when the speed limit is 55 or higher. I have driven in many states and I have to say, the drivers in Orlando (natives NOT tourists) are among the worst anywhere. The biggest danger by far is those fools who text while driving. That is totally insane.

thank you for understanding each law I stated.. you knew about driving in the left lane, and you understood what using your wipers and headlights meant.. :goodvibes
You are so very correct, it is a shame that not all of these laws are obeyed nor are they enforced. You see some officers right next to someone going way under the speed limit and they simply go around them sometimes. They sometimes see people tailgate and decide to do nothing. Then other times, they sit and await you coming by to catch you in a speed trap (which they are by the International Dr Universal exit, under the overpass frequently, or at least I see them there ;))
Yes, texting and driving.. OMG that is a total total danger to all! I cannot even begin to understand how one can even do that. I don't like to change my CD while driving, I don't like to answer my phone.. never mind texting! I pray that FL passes that law! We need that law here, but then, will they enforce it is another question. By me, they might. They are pretty tight with laws/rules by me. In fact, they just had in the paper, they aren't happy that the amount of tickets being written in the last few years have dropped. They want the officers to step up and start writing them :scared1:

Yellow, legally by definition, means, slow down, proceed with caution. Red means stop. And I highly doubt it is different in Florida. Of course, I can check with my step-sister...she is pretty 'up' on the rules of the road..at least in Broward County. She's a cop over there!!!

I have also just checked the Florida official site for road rules. I see nothing about windshield wipers and headlights being on. Yes, headlights on between sunset and sunrise, or during rain, smoke or fog. But it surely doesn't mention windshield wipers.
And that whole you can stay in the left lane?? Sort of...the rules say that the left lane is for passing and/or overtaking another vehicle. If not passing you should be in the right lanes.

These are all pretty much the same rules of the road that other states have.

Also for us driving in Fl is only 15% of the trip.

For most people that drive I bet it would also be less than 50%.

The problem is the LAW (which you quoted: http://archive.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.217.html) says NOTHING about turning on lights when your wipers are on. Period. Now, that might be how you remember to turn on the lights (wipers = lights), but that is NOT THE LAW, which is what you claimed. If the Florida statue says you must turn on your lights when you turn your wipers on, please provide a link saying so.

OK technically you are correct, as far as wording goes. However.. when it rains, what do you do? You turn on your wipers. So when your wipers go on, your lights go on.. if not, you will end up with a ticket. There is a law stating that when it rains, you must use your wipers and one that states you must use your lights, 2 different laws.. rain= wipers + lights
Is there NOT a law that you must turn your lights on in the rain? ;) (rain = wipers)

While technically against the law, we use the emergency flashers while driving during Florida's heavy summer afternoon thunderstorms when it's impossible for you to see the tail lights of the vehicle in front of you without them and the vehicle behind can't see you either without them. It's also very unsafe to pull to the side of the road so this is the only choice we have. I've never heard of anyone being ticketed for it.

As for the earlier discussion about yellow lights, you most definitely can enter an intersection on yellow. And if you're in an intersection when it turns red, you have the right of way to clear that intersection before traffic with green is allowed to proceed.

BobK/Orlando

Thanks for clarifing what I said earlier.......

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/402032/jessie-lynne-kerr/2010-09-16/using-flashers-rain-no-no

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20100613/NEWS/100619764

Four-way emergency flashers should only be used while your vehicle is legally stopped or disabled on the highway or shoulder.
http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=212

It doesn't really matter how much of the trip it is, it only takes on traffic violation to be ticketed. :headache: and that can ruin ones trip. Drive through Jacksonville, it starts to pour, put on your wipers but not your headlights.. bam you got a ticket for no lights.. so what, it was only less than 50% of your trip... but that just ruined your trip.. didn't it??????????

I am not trying to be a know it all, I may not have used the correct words (rain/wipers), I assumed others would have realized what I meant, but not all did. I am only trying to help someone avoid a situation that may be unpleasant. If those that seem to think I am wrong, or want to continue to get on me for my wording of my post, so be it. Take it for what it is. If not, I only tried to help. I know the FL State laws of the road.... I am 55 and have been driving for many many many years (let's see, gas was 53 cents a gallon). I am a safe driver, with a clean record. I have never caused an accident (thank God), and do not plan to. Say what you want, I don't care. I merely wanted to help.. however we always have the doubting Thomas's.

Here is the entire list of all the Statues.. if you need or want to look anything up prior to driving to the State of Fl, this is the place you would look...
http://archive.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Index&Title_Request=XXIII#TitleXXIII

I guess help is not what this board is all about anymore now is it?:confused3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter