• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FITBIT? Has this been discussed?

Guess what I just bought at Best Buy?! :cool1: Usually I talk to DH and get his rational engineering brain opinion on things like this before I impulsively buy them so I will see what he thinks when he gets home and won't open it until then. That way if thinks there is a better option I can return it. And if he likes it I won't have to wait until next weekend to go buy it since that would be the next chance I have to get over to Best Buy.

I saw this tread and began researching it. It looks really cool. I want to get one for both DH and me but I saw the FLEX version will be out soon. You can wear it on your wrist and it is waterproof. Any thoughts on the One vs Ultra VS flex?

I saw the bracelet one when I was looking at their site but I don't want anything that will be "visible". I want to slip it in my pocket so I can have it with me all day The waterproof would be nice but I haven't had any problem with my other one getting wet.

ETA: THE COUPON WAS MISADVERTISED AND APPARENTLY WILL NOT WORK. I TOOK OUT THE LINK AND OTHER INFORMATION. SORRY!

I posted this on the other thread but wanted to put it here too:

For those thinking about it if you have a Mastercard and a Best Buy I found this coupon for $50 off a $100 purchase a little while ago:

:scratchin intrigued!

How useful would this be just to get me up & exercising? :rotfl2:

I can't see myself using the food components, unless it is compatible with a low carb/Paleo diet. But I sure do need motivation in getting myself moving. :cheer2:

How small is it & how do you clip it to your bra without a lump showing under your shirt? :scared: or could you just put it in your pants pocket? About how big is it?

I have an iPhone 4 so it sounds like it won't work with that, correct?

How do I know if my iPad (I know, dumb question) is a 2 or a 3? Is there somewhere that you look & see?

I would love to find a motivational tool to get moving - it seems like people really like this. Even reading the Amazon reviews, it seems like EVERYONE is saying that they lost weight & every other person says it is "life changing". Wow!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

lovetoscrap said:

For those thinking about it if you have a Mastercard and a Best Buy I found this coupon for $50 off a $100 purchase a little while ago: http://image.emailinfo2.bestbuy.com/lib/fef41d77766c04/m/43/13729-2_MasterCardPromo_Coupon_final.pdf Lots of restrictions but looks like it could work. The Fitbit is $99.99 so you will need to also buy a pack of gum!

Of course this is AFTER I bought mine. We debated returning it and then rebuying it but that would be such a pain we have decided to just not worry about it.

Nice!

I can't see myself using the food components, unless it is compatible with a low carb/Paleo diet. But I sure do need motivation in getting myself moving. :cheer2:

How small is it & how do you clip it to your bra without a lump showing under your shirt? :scared: or could you just put it in your pants pocket? About how big is it?

How do I know if my iPad (I know, dumb question) is a 2 or a 3? Is there somewhere that you look & see?

I would love to find a motivational tool to get moving - it seems like people really like this. Even reading the Amazon reviews, it seems like EVERYONE is saying that they lost weight & every other person says it is "life changing". Wow!

Answered one of my own questions :lmao: I have an iPad 3 :cool1:

I think it's VERY useful in getting you up and moving, if you pay attention to it. I've talked some people at work into getting one and we started a FitBit group, but I'm the only one who seems to wear it every day (and night!) and actually sync it. So it depends on how motivated you are. I like having a goal and meeting it, so it works great for me. I find myself going up and down stairs during "breaks" at work and pacing around my office when I'm on the phone versus sitting still. It's just about getting up and getting moving and I think it motivates me a great deal. I just got off the treadmill to hit my 10,000 steps for the day, and I'll have to go up and down my stairs twice more today to hit my stair climbing goal. I certainly have become much more active since I've had it.

It's small and it doesn't show when I clip it to my bra but another lady from work says she can see the bump from it on hers (I didn't look - lol). You could clip it in your pocket easily but I think I'd be worried about losing it (which happens quite often!).

As for the phone, you'll have to have an iPhone 4S or 5 or a 3rd generation (or later) iPad. And how to tell if an iPad is a 2nd or 3rd gen, I have no idea. I just know that if it's got a camera, it's at least a 2nd and if it has that weird charger, it's a 4th. :rotfl:

I can say that if I really wanted to lose weight with this (which I eventually do), this tool would make it SO much easier. You see what you eat and what you burn and it gives you quick and easy access to that information. And is it life changing? Actually, it could be, if I stay this on track with it. I'm on 21 solid days of it and I'm still obsessed. :goodvibes

For those thinking about it if you have a Mastercard and a Best Buy I found this coupon for $50 off a $100 purchase a little while ago: http://image.emailinfo2.bestbuy.com/lib/fef41d77766c04/m/43/13729-2_MasterCardPromo_Coupon_final.pdf Lots of restrictions but looks like it could work. The Fitbit is $99.99 so you will need to also buy a pack of gum!

Of course this is AFTER I bought mine. We debated returning it and then rebuying it but that would be such a pain we have decided to just not worry about it.

UGH! Just found this online! I was hoping to use it tomorrow!

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-B...-Coupon-Correction/m-p/652207/thread-id/84766

Thanks for the coupon! I'm thinking about getting one and the coupon helps!

I have a really nice pedometer on my i-pod. It's accurate and tracks days, weeks, months, tells calories burned, and has some other nice features. It doesn't sync with anything. It sounds like good (and more) information to look at the landscape of what you are doing and how it all comes together.

Thinking about it.

Looked at my e-mail and I just got one from Fitbit congratulating me on walking my first 50 miles (since Christmas.) :banana:

I think WDWBarb is right. It is very motivating, if you use the tools it comes with.

However, I have been trying just about every exercise program known to man over the past 20 years. They have all been monotonous and boring and I did not stick with them.

This is more a life style change in just adding little bits of exercise here and there to give you a more active lifestyle. I mentioned it up thread, but at least for me, it motivates me to keep moving. Waiting for the Kuerig to finish, I don't just stand there and watch it. I will go do a couple of laps around the island.

I will go up and down our staircase a few extra times a day.

It all adds up.

Today, going to the Doctor, I actually took the stairs to the third floor and I was amazed I was not slightly winded. I would have been before.

So, no grueling exercise program to stop what you are doing and force yourself to go do. Just baby steps in adding little bits of activity to your daily life that add up. You can add more and more and more as you get more and more fit.

I keep the dongle on my laptop, so it syncs automatically everytime I sit down in front of my computer. I don't have to think about syncing it. I keep the fitbit tab open, so I just go and refresh my dashboard to see where I am at.

I have never, ever in my 50 years of life been successful in motivating a more active lifestyle till I got this thing. I have to say, I have become quite addicted to it.

I think it's VERY useful in getting you up and moving, if you pay attention to it. I've talked some people at work into getting one and we started a FitBit group, but I'm the only one who seems to wear it every day (and night!) and actually sync it. So it depends on how motivated you are. I like having a goal and meeting it, so it works great for me. I find myself going up and down stairs during "breaks" at work and pacing around my office when I'm on the phone versus sitting still. It's just about getting up and getting moving and I think it motivates me a great deal. I just got off the treadmill to hit my 10,000 steps for the day, and I'll have to go up and down my stairs twice more today to hit my stair climbing goal. I certainly have become much more active since I've had it.

It's small and it doesn't show when I clip it to my bra but another lady from work says she can see the bump from it on hers (I didn't look - lol). You could clip it in your pocket easily but I think I'd be worried about losing it (which happens quite often!).

As for the phone, you'll have to have an iPhone 4S or 5 or a 3rd generation (or later) iPad. And how to tell if an iPad is a 2nd or 3rd gen, I have no idea. I just know that if it's got a camera, it's at least a 2nd and if it has that weird charger, it's a 4th. :rotfl:

I can say that if I really wanted to lose weight with this (which I eventually do), this tool would make it SO much easier. You see what you eat and what you burn and it gives you quick and easy access to that information. And is it life changing? Actually, it could be, if I stay this on track with it. I'm on 21 solid days of it and I'm still obsessed. :goodvibes

Thanks - very informative! That helps a lot. :thumbsup2 21 days & still motivated - I like the sound of that! :cheer2:

I found the box, I have an iPad 3, so I think I am good to go with that.

I think WDWBarb is right. It is very motivating, if you use the tools it comes with.

However, I have been trying just about every exercise program known to man over the past 20 years. They have all been monotonous and boring and I did not stick with them.

This is more a life style change in just adding little bits of exercise here and there to give you a more active lifestyle. I mentioned it up thread, but at least for me, it motivates me to keep moving. Waiting for the Kuerig to finish, I don't just stand there and watch it. I will go do a couple of laps around the island.

I will go up and down our staircase a few extra times a day.

It all adds up.

Today, going to the Doctor, I actually took the stairs to the third floor and I was amazed I was not slightly winded. I would have been before.

So, no grueling exercise program to stop what you are doing and force yourself to go do. Just baby steps in adding little bits of activity to your daily life that add up. You can add more and more and more as you get more and more fit.

I keep the dongle on my laptop, so it syncs automatically everytime I sit down in front of my computer. I don't have to think about syncing it. I keep the fitbit tab open, so I just go and refresh my dashboard to see where I am at.

I have never, ever in my 50 years of life been successful in motivating a more active lifestyle till I got this thing. I have to say, I have become quite addicted to it.

Lifestyle change! Those are really the key words. ::yes:: that is what I am looking for, not a quick fix or an exercise program, but a change that is a way of life :cool1:

That is exactly what I did when I switched to Paleo/Low Carb eating. Not a diet - a different way of living & now that you can subtract double digits from my clothes size :cheer2: I think I need to get myself in that same kind of mindset when it comes to "exercise". ::yes::

BIG QUESTION NOW: what one do I get? I want as small as possible. But I might use the sleep function. I do need to get my sleep under control, as I don't get enough & I know that is bad.

The Fitbit One? Is that the best bet? Where do you wear that one? It looks bigger & I don't see a clip or a way to attach it to yourself.

Thanks. All help & answers are REALLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Lifestyle change! Those are really the key words. ::yes:: that is what I am looking for, not a quick fix or an exercise program, but a change that is a way of life :cool1:

That is exactly what I did when I switched to Paleo/Low Carb eating. Not a diet - a different way of living & now that you can subtract double digits from my clothes size :cheer2: I think I need to get myself in that same kind of mindset when it comes to "exercise". ::yes::

BIG QUESTION NOW: what one do I get? I want as small as possible. But I might use the sleep function. I do need to get my sleep under control, as I don't get enough & I know that is bad.

The Fitbit One? Is that the best bet? Where do you wear that one? It looks bigger & I don't see a clip or a way to attach it to yourself.

I bought the One today. It is about the size of a Flash drive, in fact smaller than most of the ones I have-- it is pretty tiny. It comes with a holder and clip and you can clip it inside your pocket with the device actually in the pocket. I really wanted to also be able to wear it at night and while I probably won't do that on a regular basis for a few weeks I want to see what it says.

As for wearing it in your bra and if it would show I think that all depends on how you are built and what type of bra you wear. I don't think anyone would have any idea if I put it there but I like to check my pedometer frequently and that could get awkward really fast at work!!! :rotfl2:

You can use My Fitness Pal to log your food if you want and it will "sync" with the Fitbit. I just set that up. I haven't used MFP in a very long time. I eat low carb, high protein so I just went in and changed the ratios that it has for carb/protein/fat and will see if that works for me.

I have the Fitbit one. It comes with a small rubbery casing that has a strong clip on the back of it. I slide it onto the front of my bra between the cups. Some people I know wear theirs on the side of their bra under their armpit. Another person I know just slips it into her pant's pocket each day.

In the case with the clip, it is 2.25 inches long and 7/8 of an inch wide at the bottom (flares a bit out), so quite small.

Congrats on the weight loss!!!

I bought the One today. It is about the size of a Flash drive, in fact smaller than most of the ones I have-- it is pretty tiny. It comes with a holder and clip and you can clip it inside your pocket with the device actually in the pocket. I really wanted to also be able to wear it at night and while I probably won't do that on a regular basis for a few weeks I want to see what it says.

As for wearing it in your bra and if it would show I think that all depends on how you are built and what type of bra you wear. I don't think anyone would have any idea if I put it there but I like to check my pedometer frequently and that could get awkward really fast at work!!! :rotfl2:

You can use My Fitness Pal to log your food if you want and it will "sync" with the Fitbit. I just set that up. I haven't used MFP in a very long time. I eat low carb, high protein so I just went in and changed the ratios that it has for carb/protein/fat and will see if that works for me.

Oh - awesome!

I got so excited, that I just ordered the One from Amazon just now. It won't arrive until Thursday, so you will be several days ahead of me. :thumbsup2 and I will welcome any newbie tips that you find!

I will be EXTREMELY interested how the food journaling with the ratios, etc that you use in MFP from a fellow (obviously very successful :cool1: from your badge) low carber! If you think it is worth me utilizing that, I will try it. Let me know what you think. Right now I use the Carb Diet app on my phone & really like it, but if you recommend a switch, I would try it :)

Oh - and I think it would be MORE awkward at work if you were asking fellow coworkers to check your progress. :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Thanks!

I have the Fitbit one. It comes with a small rubbery casing that has a strong clip on the back of it. I slide it onto the front of my bra between the cups. Some people I know wear theirs on the side of their bra under their armpit. Another person I know just slips it into her pant's pocket each day.

Thanks. That is helpful. If you just put it in your pocket, do you have to clip it on, or can it go in your pocket without its case, all the way in your pocket so that you don't lose it.

I am thinking that it will show if I put it anywhere on my bra. At least it sounds like with most things I wear it might.

Awkward if people are wondering - "what in the world is that?" :rotfl2: I would rather have it showing than some suspicious bump under my clothes :lmao:

Thanks. That is helpful. If you just put it in your pocket, do you have to clip it on, or can it go in your pocket without its case, all the way in your pocket so that you don't lose it.

I am thinking that it will show if I put it anywhere on my bra. At least it sounds like with most things I wear it might.

Awkward if people are wondering - "what in the world is that?" :rotfl2: I would rather have it showing than some suspicious bump under my clothes :lmao:

They are very small. I wear mine on my waste band and I just use the fitbit itself, not the extra clamp that came with it. If I wear a dress or something I put it on my bra.

My favorite thing about fitbit.....I use their ap, which is not the greatest, BUT.... If you input your calories that you have eaten (I generally just go to custom foods and manually enter it in or save things I eat often), it will tell you how many calories you have left for the day. But what's different is that it adjusts based on how much activity you have done. So if you sit on the couch, it won't let you eat a lot. But if you walk a ton, you get to eat more. By tracking what I eat verses what I burn, I've lost 40 pounds easily. We don't even really diet. We do eat healthier to make the most of calories, but not always. If I want McDonalds, I get it. But I know I will have to walk that off, lol

I love my Fitbit One. I bought one for me and my mom back in November. My aunt and my daughter have them now too. We are all friends on the site so it's fun to keep track of eachothers progress.

I took mine to WDW the first weekend in January. We did a short trip, Friday to Monday, and it was very commando. On Saturday DD and I did all 4 parks and I hit 40,000 steps right at midnight! We ended up walking 47.5 miles that weekend. It took me a week to recover!

Off to join the dis group! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter