First day/boarding tips for a first timer??

One of the recurring tips I see is to pack swimsuits in a carry on for departure day. My question is where do you change?

Generally on cruises you can get into your room as soon as you board, or very shortly thereafter, you just have to wait a bit for your luggage. Whatever is packed in your carry-on, you can change into in your own room. We're cruising on the Dream in April will be my first DCL cruise so I'm just assuming they open your room as the other cruise lines do. :confused3

The hallways to the staterooms are roped off until 1:30 PM. You're not allowed to enter your room until they lower the ropes.

We have done both Topsiders and Parrot Cay... we prefer PC...it is alot cooler. :) I pack a small carry on with swim suits for the kids just in case they would like to swim.

On our last cruise we had our Dis meet at 3pm and that was a lot of fun! if you havent done so, join your cruise thread! I have made a lot of great friends! dh went and got our Tea with Alice during this time!

for the safety drill.... dont forget your sunglasses!! it get hot and sunny on the starboard side of the boat!!

We head right up to deck 9 for the Sail Away party.... and have your video camera ready...they blow the horn before you expect the too.

We drop our pillowcases off that night after dinner. remember to pack your sharpies too!

Also I recommend Palo for even the first time cruisers!

I've seen a few posts suggesting skipping Palo on your first cruise, are you suggesting this for 7 day cruises too? I'm not sure if we should do brunch or dinner and we are on a 7 day, but will I miss much in the dining rooms since we will be there 7 nights?

I would definitely try for Palo on a 7 day cruise. I think the suggestion to skip it is geared towards those taking a 3 night cruise, where they would miss out on one of the dining rotation restaurants.

There is also Brunch and High Tea at Palos if you didn't want to skip a dinner meal :goodvibes

I am going to contradict many but here goes:

SKIP the on-boarding picture! the lines are long. Just walk up the right hand side and get ON! Plenty of time for over priced, overly-posed pics later.

Ignore all instructions and head for the POOL! It will be the only time it will be empty. Get some nice chairs, enjoy the sun and the pool. You can get hot dogs, burgers, pizza right there at the pool- it will be open when you board. Or take turns making a plate at the buffet that is right near the pools and eat at your pool chair. Make sure you packed your swimsuits in your carry on and change at the pool restrooms (or just wear them onto the ship under your clothes)

Skip the drink of the day in the "signature" glass. It costs twice as much and those drinks were made minutes ago and the ice is already melted. Go to the bar and order a fresh drink in a regular glass.

Skip Palo. If you eat at good Italian restaurants at home, this one isn't all that special and it adds a cost to your cruise. It takes a LONG time to eat here, too- time I'd rather spend enjoying the offerings of the ship. The food in the restaurants is good and you can order anything off any restaurant menu any night regardless of what restaurant you are at.

Regsiter for the kid's club as soon as you arrive at the terminal. Saves a lot of time and they do occassionally run out of pagers.

SKIP the on-boarding picture! the lines are long. Just walk up the right hand side and get ON! Plenty of time for over priced, overly-posed pics later.

Ignore all instructions and head for the POOL! It will be the only time it will be empty. Get some nice chairs, enjoy the sun and the pool. You can get hot dogs, burgers, pizza right there at the pool- it will be open when you board. Or take turns making a plate at the buffet that is right near the pools and eat at your pool chair. Make sure you packed your swimsuits in your carry on and change at the pool restrooms (or just wear them onto the ship under your clothes)

Skip the drink of the day in the "signature" glass. It costs twice as much and those drinks were made minutes ago and the ice is already melted. Go to the bar and order a fresh drink in a regular glass.

Skip Palo. If you eat at good Italian restaurants at home, this one isn't all that special and it adds a cost to your cruise. It takes a LONG time to eat here, too- time I'd rather spend enjoying the offerings of the ship. The food in the restaurants is good and you can order anything off any restaurant menu any night regardless of what restaurant you are at.

Regsiter for the kid's club as soon as you arrive at the terminal. Saves a lot of time and they do occassionally run out of pagers.

I love your advice! Will skip the on-board picture if the line is too long and will go straight to the pool :thumbsup2 Thanks

Can one of us stand in line at the terminal to "check-in" the family while the other one stands in line to register the kids @ the kids' club desk? I heard that line gets really long, so thought we might be able to divide and conquer at the terminal and then walk around as a family and soak everything in as 1st time Disney cruisers!:)

Can one of us stand in line at the terminal to "check-in" the family while the other one stands in line to register the kids @ the kids' club desk? I heard that line gets really long, so thought we might be able to divide and conquer at the terminal and then walk around as a family and soak everything in as 1st time Disney cruisers!:)

Both adults do not need to stand in Kid's club register line but everyone needs to have their picture taken when checking in. Register kids online and if line is short and if they are not boarding yet then check kids in at terminal otherwise once on board go to kids club/lab on deck 5 and register kids with hardly a wait:)

I just wanted to point out that if your heart is set on doing any of the liquor tastings, it's best to head to guest services sometime before muster drill and book them. I've been on sailings where they ran out of space by the time it showed up in the Personal Navigator the night before.

Both adults do not need to stand in Kid's club register line but everyone needs to have their picture taken when checking in. Register kids online and if line is short and if they are not boarding yet then check kids in at terminal otherwise once on board go to kids club/lab on deck 5 and register kids with hardly a wait:)

I am a little confused....I have registed my kids online for the Kid's club, so do I also need to check them in at the terminal? Is this where they would get the wristbands? Sorry first timer!

I am a little confused....I have registed my kids online for the Kid's club, so do I also need to check them in at the terminal? Is this where they would get the wristbands? Sorry first timer!

At the port, you would still need to get the bracelets/tracking devices and pagers. You also still need to pick a secret word, that only the people that are supposed to pick your children up would know for added security.Its put in the computer, and its the first thing they ask when you pick up a child. Theyll also verify that the bracelet matches the name and the parent.

I love your advice! Will skip the on-board picture if the line is too long and will go straight to the pool :thumbsup2 Thanks

i didn't know the option was there. i to will now skip this as i never purchase it and have never understood why we have to go through this. guess they HOPE we will purchase.
also agree with the rest of the advice. i'm one of few who say skip palo. i was there for brunch and while there was a lot of selection i could have been just as happy at topsiders brunch plus saved $50. not a fan here.

Hi! We are certainly not experts, but we did just get back for our first Disney cruise a few weeks ago! After loading up on tips from the DIsboards I was still worried about missing something or not doing ssomething right...lol. but it was amazing!

Really loved the tip to bring a highlighter! We got our day 1 navigator when we checked in at the port, so we used the time before they let us on board to sit down and highlight what we knew we didnt want to miss that day!

We did bring a photo mat and I had no trouble dropping it off the first afternoon. (No line at all!) they even let me request that Captain Jack Sparrow also sign for my little boy along with the regular characters that are on the list :) ....he loooovvves Pirates! We had not been planning on buying souveniers, so this was an amazing souvenier to take back home with out paying a lot! We also left a bag of assorted candies for the guest services staff as a thank you, and we wrote them a letter too.

Hope you have an amazing trip!!!

We have been on 3 DCL cruises and prefer to eat on deck 9 while the kids get the pool and water slide to themselves. The beauty of the whole experience is you have so many options and they are all super! My family loves the buffet. We have 3 DS. They can choose from so many types of food. I just love knowing I am onboard and eating while enjoying a wonderful view.
I look forward to enjoying my breakfast overlooking the ocean every morning. :cloud9:

This is what makes cuising great! There is something for everyone and not everyone likes the same things! Isn't it great that we all don't like everything the same! I like the total oposite from you! I like to have table service and be waited on. I don't like having to go through the buffet line then scramble for a seat/drinks and whatever I missed. I prefer PC for lunch. So funny!

At the port, you would still need to get the bracelets/tracking devices and pagers. You also still need to pick a secret word, that only the people that are supposed to pick your children up would know for added security.Its put in the computer, and its the first thing they ask when you pick up a child. Theyll also verify that the bracelet matches the name and the parent.

You do not have to get pagers, etc. in the terminal. You can do so at the kids club anytime. 1st cruise we waited and waited and waited in line in the terminal. Got smart on next cruise and went to the clubs the 1st evening and got pagers, etc. with hardley any wait. Don't forget to register online as this makes the process even faster and smoother.

Definitely agree with the pool idea. If there is one thing on board you never have to worry about, it's a lack of food. I swam in the adult pool during the sail away party totally alone on a full ship. The rest of the cruise it was packed (except during the tropical storm, of course). :laughing:

But DW and I love Palo. Definitely the best food on board, by far. But I'd like to see more people skip Palo, that way there are more open reservations for me. :rotfl2:

Ha! I've started the same. I'm on tip #64 right now. Maybe I'll compile them one of these days and post it. :goodvibes

please do!!!! I'm a first time cruiser-to-be and I can't keep track -- bring on the cheat sheet (or pm me with it!!!)

xo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter