• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First day/boarding tips for a first timer??

We plan on heading right to guest services to book Tea with Alice and a couple adult tastings. Since this is our first DCL cruise, I think we'll be trying to get our Palo spots when we first get on the ship too. It's kind of like the mad dash for fastpasses once the park opens. ;)

LOVE the ideas! This spurred a few more questions though. Maybe someone can help me.

1. We selected Main dining as we will be traveling with 2 six-year olds and 1 five-year old. Any thoughts on what we should request for location of our table?

2. How important is it to make Palo reservations? It is really worth it because it seems like the main dining would be too nice to miss.

3. Love the Parrot Cay idea. We'll definitely give that a try!

4. dzneygirl - I'm listening to the podcasts now. Very helpful. Thank you!

:flower3:

LOVE the ideas! This spurred a few more questions though. Maybe someone can help me.

1. We selected Main dining as we will be traveling with 2 six-year olds and 1 five-year old. Any thoughts on what we should request for location of our table?
You will have a table number assigned for you. The location of the table varies from one restaurant to the next which makes requesting a location difficult. One night you might be off to the side and the next night (different restaurant) that same table number will be in the middle action. My advise is don't sweat the location. You're on the ship - that's the best location of all!

2. How important is it to make Palo reservations? It is really worth it because it seems like the main dining would be too nice to miss.
Depends on how many nights you are sailing. On our 4 night cruises we go to Palo the last night as that is usually the repeat restaurant. On 7 night cruises we do a sea day, as well as our upcoming 5 night. We love Palo. Dinner and brunch are both great - some prefer brunch over dinner - we like them both. Brunch is usually only offered on sea days.

My answers are in blue. Enjoy you're cruise!!!

My advice is if this is your first Disney cruise, skip Palo dinner, you will miss something in the dining room. On your second cruise (because I know you will be back) try to get Palo dinner. After that decide for yourself if it is worth skipping the dining room or not. We did Palo on our 2nd and 3rd cruise and probably won't ever do it again. Its very nice but so is the dining room.

Palo brunch on the other hand we LOVE and I recomend no matter what number cruise this is for you, try to get brunch.

We have been on 3 DCL cruises and prefer to eat on deck 9 while the kids get the pool and water slide to themselves. The beauty of the whole experience is you have so many options and they are all super! My family loves the buffet. We have 3 DS. They can choose from so many types of food. I just love knowing I am onboard and eating while enjoying a wonderful view.
I look forward to enjoying my breakfast overlooking the ocean every morning. :cloud9:

What time do you suggest we get to deck 10 for Sail Away Party?

It usually starts right after muster drill.. We have been on the Wonder twice and loved every min of it... The first thing to do when boarding the wonderful ship is get some food then you should explore the ship it is wonderful and beautiful. You will love every minute of it. Like another poster said leave all the worries and head aches out side the Mikey Ears and just enjoy your cruise.
The first time we went on the wonder we did not even know that she was moving it was so smooth. it was the same way the second time. We only knew we were moving when we looked out the window or went out on deck. Also very important thing to remember make sure you watch all the stage shows they are great especially Disney dreams on the last night and don't forget til we meet again on the last night.. it is great as well it is a last chance to get your pictures made with all the cast members Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Daisy, Chip and Dale and all the Mickey friends. Have a great cruise..

After 5 DCL cruises here is "our way":

1) Get there around 10:30am. Get checked in and get #2 or #3 boarding. Enjoy the port and wait for them to call our number.

2) We always breeze past the photos.. you can tell we don't have kids. ;)

3) Head to guest services. Schedule anything that we may want to see for the week and grab a navigator.

4) Head to Rockin' Bar D or Wavebands to fix up Palos ressies, request servers or seating in the MDR, ect.

5) Head to Parrot Cay for lunch where we pull out our highlighters and go through the navigator.

6) Stroll to the spa and see if there is anything we want to schedule.

7) If it is warm we head for the pool and if it is cold we head for Diversions until 1:30pm.

I can't imagine doing it any other way! :wizard:

If you want a haircut, first day is a great time to have one. There's unlikely to be a wait.

I am planning on doing a 4night on Dream....can they shampoo and style hair??? I am a spoiled woman at home my hair dresser does my hair once a week!!

Well I have to tell you, Palo is a must do even if it is your first trip. what i would suggest is if you have the first seating for dinner in the main dinning rooms then make your ressies for palo around 8 pm. that way you can go to dinner with the kids and Have a light snack while they eat and then have your dinner at palo that night. it worked well for us back In January

Sucribing...
Great question-
Great tips.

Here is my question: I will be traveling with DD3, and plan on arriving to port and the terminal early. So once on board how soon can we get into the rooms? Or will be carrying around our carry on bags with us until_____???

I will be bringing her stroller, should I bring that on board or should it let it be checked and let it be sent to the room.

As far as touring the ship, do they provide guided tours on day 1 or is it just an exploration day.

Is Tea with Alice on a 4 day on the wonder.

Again thanks for the post, tips and questions and answers.

Ok, so the way I figure, we'll try to get there early so we can board early.

Then go to Parrot Cay to eat lunch.

We already have the main dining time and won't be eating at Palo's.

We really only care about getting our youngest (15 months at time of travel) into the nursery when needed. When can we reserve time there? If I understand correctly, you can reserve some time online and then can you reserve more once you're on board? We'd like to explore the kids clubs with our oldest....age 3.5 yrs at time of travel. But, I know he'll be wanting to swim and be part of the deck party. Any ideas on how to navigate this?

I have taken 11 Disney Cruises, and our routine is to go to lunch at Beach Blanket/Topsider's...it's our ritual. The food is great. The crew have helped us carry trays, find seats. I have not ever had a problem getting through again. Plus we tend to grab the trays and then eat by the Mickey pool where DD is eager to jump in. This past cruise we had boarding card #1 (platinum CC), and we were some of the first in line for buffet. No waiting for us at all...even though they were trying to direct us to Parrot Cay. May be Parrot Cay next time...of course we always say that. Palo ressies right after in Wavebands/Rock'n Bar D. We head up to the party right after dropping off our life jackets after the muster drill. Love the Bon Voyage beverage-for adults, and a NA for kiddos.

Ok, so the way I figure, we'll try to get there early so we can board early.

Then go to Parrot Cay to eat lunch.

We already have the main dining time and won't be eating at Palo's.

We really only care about getting our youngest (15 months at time of travel) into the nursery when needed. When can we reserve time there? If I understand correctly, you can reserve some time online and then can you reserve more once you're on board? We'd like to explore the kids clubs with our oldest....age 3.5 yrs at time of travel. But, I know he'll be wanting to swim and be part of the deck party. Any ideas on how to navigate this?

Take your 3.5 yo to the clubs in the afternon before the drill. You can all play and meet the counselors. They get to see how much fun it is and will hopefully want to go back often. Your 15month old one can enjoy the clubs too-you just can't leave them.

We just enjoyed lunch, pool time, clubs all before the muster drill.

Hello, cruising this Feb. and I think we'd like to go to PC when we first board the ship, do we tip who serves us for lunch or is that included with the tips we pay at the end?

Hello, cruising this Feb. and I think we'd like to go to PC when we first board the ship, do we tip who serves us for lunch or is that included with the tips we pay at the end?

all tips are paid at the end of the cruise. You don't tip at PC on the first day

Sucribing...
Great question-
Great tips.

Here is my question: I will be traveling with DD3, and plan on arriving to port and the terminal early. So once on board how soon can we get into the rooms? Or will be carrying around our carry on bags with us until_____???

Rooms are ready around 1:30 and luggage shows up anytime from that point until later in the afternoon. They will leave it outside your door. You only have to carry on what you want, the other luggage that you want delivered to the room you leave with the porters when you arrive at the terminal.

I will be bringing her stroller, should I bring that on board or should it let it be checked and let it be sent to the room.

that is up to you, if you think you will need it before you get in the room, keep it with you. Is it a big stroller or an umbrella stroller? We have never cruised with small kids, so really can't help you, sorry!

As far as touring the ship, do they provide guided tours on day 1 or is it just an exploration day.

You can check out recent navigators in the FAQ sticky thread to see what they offer on day 1. We went on a 3 night and I dont' recall any guided tours, but I could be mistaken. We just explored on our own.

Is Tea with Alice on a 4 day on the wonder. No, I believe this is only on the 7+ night cruises

Again thanks for the post, tips and questions and answers.

My answers are in blue above...HTH

I would add, make sure your camera batteries are fully charged, and you have a memory card available. Take your camera with you! To keep the salt out of your camera, put it in a resealable ziplock bag, or a clear waterproof camera bag. Put it in your purse, or in a camera bag with a long strap around your neck so you don't leave it somewhere. Make sure you have your contact info. on your camera, in case it does get lost.
You can get a really nice picture of the Port Canaveral staff doing the wave with Mickey hands as the ship sails out of the port.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter