Discussion in 'Pre-Trip Reports and Plans' started by TarzansKat, Jan 11, 2010.
I do believe that. I just hope I can fall asleep tonight.
Log in or Sign up to hide this advert.
To be honest? You probably won't -- when we signed the closing papers on this house, I could not fall asleep that night because I was so stunned that I was a homeowner and owed all that money for the mortgage! You get adjusted to the idea though, I promise.
Ohhh... Good Luck! We weren't able to sleep for the whole weekend after the first offer we put in (put in an offer on Friday night, didn't hear back until Monday afternoon). I hope you have better luck than we did!
Oh, that sounds like a wonderful place to live, I love living close to work! I hope everything works out for you!
Now, see, you got me all excited about "doing the organizing" thing with you, and all that, and now you pop this on us. I was all over your flatscreen, new boxes, fabric covered whatchamacallits, and now you trade all those for the condo of your dreams??!!
What are you thinking???
Of course this is fun!! How could we not all be so excited for you!? If it's possible and you have a peace about it, then go for it!! It has a garage you could stick the kids in when they turn 13.
Well, I slept like crap last night. At one point, I went and got my DH, who was slipping blissfully unaware on the couch, and made him come to bed. Normally I'll leave him there if he falls asleep that way, but not last night. I needed the comfort!
Well, the short of it is that I should hear something by tonight, so fingers crossed.
I'm trying to have faith that it will all work out the way it's meant to be.
I don't know what I was thinking. I shouldn't be allowed to make these types of momentous decisions right now.
And quite frankly, I'm terrified of the mortgage, I really love the place.
But, if it doesn't work, I have a very distinctive game plan for this apartment (like you said) and I feel really good about that.
And on sticking the kids in the garage.
Or the basement, right?
THe fact of the matter is--- you are NOT thinking. Well, straightly anyway. Good thing you have DH to be your sense right now, because yours is getting the life sucked out of it right now. On the other hand, your emotions are running high, so, you can deftly add that element to the equation. Right?
We will most likely take on a hefty mortgage when we get back too. Scared?? YUP! We worked hard to pay ours off in 10 years, and it felt GOOD!!! To start over again at our age scares me!
yeah, basement works too. But save that for when they are 17. At 13 the garage works good.
If we end up getting this place, it will be my ultimate goal and mission to pay off the mortgage well before the 30 years. First of all, the likelihood of us being there the full thirty years is not very good. I see this as (hopefully) a stepping stone to build some equity so that if we sell at the right time (hopefully after 5-6 years) perhaps we can make a small profit and afford the type of house my DH really wants.
In the mean time, this is an excellent start. I haven't really told you all much about it, but it's 1380 sq. feet with an attached garage, and 12x17 private deck, with a little grassy area for the kiddos to play. The deck is great, because it's got a gate, so you can gate the kids in and not worry about baby climbing over those stairs while you're outside.
The kitchen is eat-in, but the living room is big enough that we plan to do a living dining combo, and instead of having our TV, etc, up there, we'll put it downstairs in the finished basement which is set up as a family room. On the upper level, there are two bedrooms, both on the smaller side but not unworkable considering all the other liveable space. And we'll be gaining storage in a garage, and storage in the basement as well.
But let me tell you, it's not these things.
It's the fact that it's turn key. I love the paint colors, the hardwood and carpets are in great condition. The only thing that needs to be replaced is the stove, microwave, and showerhead in the main bath.
And in our price range, we have not ever seen anything that's turn key.
The scary part is how much more it is per month without even counting heating bills. There's a beautiful fireplace in the living room, so I know that will help offset some of the cost, I hope. I don't think it's so much the mortgage and condo fees that scare me, but being able to afford heat. It is gas heat, which is good. Basically our mortgage/condo fees are less than that bigger two bedroom apartment we were looking at, but our apartments include heat in the rent.
I really just can't believe we were grown ups and put an offer in.
Oh! I totally forgot to mention that we're not the only offer. Another offer came to the table last night, and the realtor held off presenting it to the seller until my DH had seen it and we made a decision. Since we decided to offer, that was a good decision on his part, now he has two offers to present to the seller.
Not knowing what that other offer is and if ours was totally unrealistic is part of the fear, I guess. But there's nothing I can do about it now. I'm really hoping we're busy at work today so I don't think about it.
Sounds lovely. Very lovely. Especially with the stove and microwave in the main bath. Nothing like eating breakfast as you bathe!
Alright, folks! We have finally hit the single digit dance and here's what's on the agenda.
The temperature forecast has dropped, so it's anybody's guess as to what it will really be when we go. The only reason this is a bummer is that it makes packing more difficult. Right now we're looking at low - mid 60s to mid 70s for the highs. I'm figuring at the very least, I can pack my tees and pants, and add hoodies as needed. That seems the most reasonable to me. I'll most likely get started on that this weekend.
I need to go through all my tolietries tonight and reorganize them for just me (normally mine, DH, and DS' are all together) and see if anything needs to be replenished. This will then be accomplished by a shopping mission to Walmart on Wednesday.
I have put the kebash on all spending. If it's not gas or groceries, it's not getting bought. And if we actually just bought ourselves our first home, the souvie list will be parred way way way down. Fortunately I have $70 in reward dollars from my Disney Visa, so I can use that and not feel so bad about spending.
I'm hoping to get treats from Goofy's Candy Co for my DH and DS, a little treat for myself from Trend E, and something for the baby, perhaps a nuetral plush rattle. My DS loved his plush Mickey rattle when he was little. Very sweet.
I feel very in limbo today because of the offer we put in on that condo. There's another offer out there which sort of makes me nervous. I just keep trying to remind myself if, if it's meant to be, it's meant to be. And if it is, oh my gosh, what was I thinking? I could see us there, though. I really could, and I guess that's how you know.
I remember on another thread, one of my friends telling me that buying a house was like shopping for a wedding dress. When you find the right one, you just know.
Given that I picked the first dress I ever tried on (long story), and that we've looked at SO many homes, it's weird, because I've never had that AHA moment until I saw this place.
But, it may not be mine. Everything hangs in the balance. I'm supposed to hear something tonight, so I'll keep you all posted. I don't even know what I want to happen at this point, just something. DH and I have talked though, and I feel better about our game plan.
This whole process is way too stressful for me, and I am not the type of person who knows how to set it aside. If they come back with a rejection, we will let it pass, and if they counter offer, we are not going higher. We have given our best offer, and that's that. I would take both of those scenarios as signs that it is not meant to happen, and we will completely discontinue our housing search, and hunker down here, fixing up our apartment as originally planned. If they come back with an acceptance, then I will know that it is meant to be. I have faith that there is a plan for all of us, and that things happen as they were meant to.
It's very similar to when people ask me if I want a boy or a girl. I don't. Well, obviously it's going to be one of those, but I want a healthy baby and a healthy me. I was high risk last time and on bed rest, so if I, and the baby, can make it through this happy and healthy, then that's all I care about. There are more important things in life to worry about than the gender of this child, and it is what it is. I can't change the Bean now, so to my mind, it just doesn't matter. It's amazing to me how many people don't believe that, but it's really how I feel. I will have whatever I was meant to have. I believe that God has a plan, and I have faith in that plan.
So hopefully, very soon, I should be able to resume our regularly scheduled PTR programming with my top ten lists. Think food, rides, etc. I was planning on a shopping one...but...we'll see...
I am not so happy with the weather forecast either... I was rather hoping for some pool time.
I think you are doing very well keeping a clear head about the house hunt. My parents were buying a new appartment last year and they had one they absolutely loved, but didn't get and then they got one that were a bit unhappy about, but which had a great location. But now they are so glad that the other one did not work out because they love the area they live in so much.
I'll be sending some good vibes your way, hoping they bring you some luck. It sounds so lovely, and even better that you can move right in.
Wow Kat you have a lot going on right now! I hope you hear good news today from the realtor.
PS: Do you know what big stuff you need for the baby yet? I'm going to have all kinds of stuff available for you before the bean gets here because we won't need it anymore.
Hurray for single digits!!! Time is just flying by, and before you know it, it will be the day before instead of nine days before!
Good luck and big hugs on the condo.
I'm here! And caught up!!
And SOOO wanting to read that next chapter....
"BRING it, honey!"
I know it will work out the way it's meant to.
Unfortunately, we're required to give a 60 day notice on our current place, so I'm having a feeling we'll have some overlap.
Wow, thank you so much for your offer! I will take a little inventory tonight and let you know what we may need.
I seriousley need this trip right now, I am so stressed.
Ha! Bring it, she says!
I don't have much to say except...giving birth? No problem.
Stress of buying a home? I hate it.
At 130 (I didn't get the voicemail until 400 when I got out of work) my realtor called. She left me a voicemail wanting to know if the offer we put in last night was our best.
My short answer? Yes.
What I was thinking? Why are you asking me this? If there's another offer what does it matter if mine is the best one I have to offer unless they're trying to...I have no good word for it, let's just say make me part with more of my money. No, I'm not going up. Yes, I offered $10,000 less than what they payed for it. Yes, what I'm offering is very similar to comps in recent months in the same complex. I don't see the issue here. I know she has to clarify that, so I get it, but I hate this.
I hate the games and I hate the stress and although I love the place I am having cold feet and wanting to rescind. Which is silly because I love the place, but not because I am getting so ticked and this can't be good for me or the baby. I shudder to think of how high my blood pressure is right now and I can't wait for this to be over.
I can't wait to take this trip.
Thanks for the hugs. I just want this to be over.
Separate names with a comma.