• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

February 9, 2013 - Magic out of Galveston??

larryb241 said:
Hi cruisers!!!! My DW, DD and I can't wait for this cruise. We are long time Disney World goers. Married there in 2000 and go about once every couple years. This will be our first Disney cruise.
I found this thread and wow! So first - what is FE (fish extenders?)
Looking to book a hotel for night before. Does it pay to stay at Galvez for $215 and not pay the parking fee at terminal?
My daughter is really nervous about the cruise. She thinks that we're just going to drop her off at the kids club and never see her. Ha! I wish. I know that she'll get over it, but maybe knowing someone here might help.
FYI - we're coming in from Lewisville, TX.
thanks!!!
Larry

Larry welcome!!!! How old is your daughter? She will like the clubs so much she will be saying"parents ...I don't know them". Lol. We are staying at a cheaper hotel and paying the $55 to park.

Ha! That's a good one Michelle! Madelyn is 9 and in 4th grade. Ohio - wow, pretty far. We're so lucky to be going out of Galveston. We're contemplating just driving down early that morning, but thought it might be nice to stay the night before and not have to deal with the crowd at disembark or the luggage. Thanks for the welcome!!!!

larryb241 said:
Ha! That's a good one Michelle! Madelyn is 9 and in 4th grade. Ohio - wow, pretty far. We're so lucky to be going out of Galveston. We're contemplating just driving down early that morning, but thought it might be nice to stay the night before and not have to deal with the crowd at disembark or the luggage. Thanks for the welcome!!!!

Nelia pronounced( nah-lee-ah) will turn 9 on the 28th. Nelia said that she Would love to meet Madelyn at the club or maybe at the Dis meet.

Hi cruisers!!!! My DW, DD and I can't wait for this cruise. We are long time Disney World goers. Married there in 2000 and go about once every couple years. This will be our first Disney cruise.
Looking to book a hotel for night before. Does it pay to stay at Galvez for $215 and not pay the parking fee at terminal?
My daughter is really nervous about the cruise. She thinks that we're just going to drop her off at the kids club and never see her. Ha! I wish. I know that she'll get over it, but maybe knowing someone here might help.
thanks!!!
Larry

Welcome, Larry! Nice to see a fellow North Texan onboard!

Hi Alliesmommy! Thanks! I think I figured out what the FE thing is.
Looks like we're too late here. I'm sure Madelyn will be excited to meet Nehlia (beautiful name!) and so many others.
Can anyone recommend some cheap things to do in Grand Cayman and Cozumel, instead of the big excursions? We wanted to do the nice stuff, just not sure it's in the budget anymore. Thanks!!!

Hi Alliesmommy! Thanks! I think I figured out what the FE thing is.
Looks like we're too late here. I'm sure Madelyn will be excited to meet Nehlia (beautiful name!) and so many others.
Can anyone recommend some cheap things to do in Grand Cayman and Cozumel, instead of the big excursions? We wanted to do the nice stuff, just not sure it's in the budget anymore. Thanks!!!

We got a great deal on the dolphin excursion. But in Grand Cayman I know that there are taxi's out there that will offer ya deals $20 a person, and kids free to take ya to Hell, turtle farm, etc on a tour. We are planning on doing that and maybe going to the turtle farm.

We have two 9 year olds traveling with our group as well. I'm sure they will all become fast friends and have a blast in the club/lab. We aren't telling our kids until the morning of and the hardest part is not to tell them about the awesome friends they are going to make on this trip.

thanks!!!
Larry

Hi Larry,

We're coming from Ponder (near Denton). We're going down the night before cause I'm a big scaredy cat that something will happen on Saturday and we'll miss the cruise. ;) We're staying at the LaQuinta Seawall W in Galveston, which is about 10 minutes from the cruise terminal. It includes a breakfast buffet (basics.) Our rate when we booked last month, was $109. Plus we can leave our car there (in a secured parking area) for the cruise for just $20 and their shuttle will take us (and pick us up from) to the ship on Saturday.

Where is it $215? Moody Gardens?

Hi Larry,

We're coming from Ponder (near Denton). We're going down the night before cause I'm a big scaredy cat that something will happen on Saturday and we'll miss the cruise. ;) We're staying at the LaQuinta Seawall W in Galveston, which is about 10 minutes from the cruise terminal. It includes a breakfast buffet (basics.) Our rate when we booked last month, was $109. Plus we can leave our car there (in a secured parking area) for the cruise for just $20 and their shuttle will take us (and pick us up from) to the ship on Saturday.

Where is it $215? Moody Gardens?

We were coming up with $200 a room at alot of places in Galveston. We could not even get a room at Moody Gardens - we were going to pay more money to stay there and leave here early on Friday so the kids could do some things there, but I tried many different room types etc. online and it never showed availability - I guess I could have called them but I figured oh well and we looked elsewhere. We are staying in Texas City and from speaking to the guy at the Hampton Inn we are staying at he said it would take us about 25 minutes to get to the cruise terminal - hope he is right. We are paying just under $100 per room. We still have not booked parking - I am bringing that up at dinner tonight.

I had found $215 at the Hotel Galvez, which includes parking and shuttle to terminal. No refund.

We were coming up with $200 a room at alot of places in Galveston. We could not even get a room at Moody Gardens - we were going to pay more money to stay there and leave here early on Friday so the kids could do some things there, but I tried many different room types etc. online and it never showed availability - I guess I could have called them but I figured oh well and we looked elsewhere. We are staying in Texas City and from speaking to the guy at the Hampton Inn we are staying at he said it would take us about 25 minutes to get to the cruise terminal - hope he is right. We are paying just under $100 per room. We still have not booked parking - I am bringing that up at dinner tonight.

LaQuinta Seawall W (where we and another family I just found out) are staying is coming up for an room with 2 queen beds @ $129. They have parking for the entire cruise (upto 7 days) for $20 with a free to shuttle to and from the port. THis is booking online directly through their website

FYI ;)

LaQuinta Seawall W (where we and another family I just found out) are staying is coming up for an room with 2 queen beds @ $129. They have parking for the entire cruise (upto 7 days) for $20 with a free to shuttle to and from the port. THis is booking online directly through their website
:thumbsup2
FYI ;)

Thank you for posting this! We were booked at the Country Inn and Suites for $229 with parking and shuttle. We just saved $80 by switching! So, count us in the LaQuinta. We (me, DD, and my in laws) are driving in from Tyler and plan to be at the hotel at check in time. We're going to head down to Pleasure Pier and play and then have dinner at Bubba Gumps. :woohoo:

Pocahantas said:
So did I in 1987. What year did he graduate?

In 1987!
Kevin Doré
Also friends with Mark Broussard, JJ Prejean and Suzette Veillon/Delahoussaye

I'm totally late to the party, but we just booked on this cruise. So excited. Our first Disney vacation of any kind as a family. It'll be me, my husband, a 4 year old celebrating her 5th birthday on the cruise, and our new 4 month old and my parents. I'll be the one with the little redheaded kids.

We also moved from Galveston 2 years ago, so this will be our first trip back to town and we're looking forward to seeing friends while we're there. (FYI, I don't know if anyone's mentioned it because I haven't read all 25 pages yet, but the weekend of the 9th is also Mardi Gras in Galveston.)

SO EXCITED to be going and looking forward to meeting y'all!

BearChick said:
I'm totally late to the party, but we just booked on this cruise. So excited. Our first Disney vacation of any kind as a family. It'll be me, my husband, a 4 year old celebrating her 5th birthday on the cruise, and our new 4 month old and my parents. I'll be the one with the little redheaded kids.

We also moved from Galveston 2 years ago, so this will be our first trip back to town and we're looking forward to seeing friends while we're there. (FYI, I don't know if anyone's mentioned it because I haven't read all 25 pages yet, but the weekend of the 9th is also Mardi Gras in Galveston.)

Welcome!!!! We are chatting here but alot on facebook. Check out our webpage for info

Welcome from a fellow North Texan (well, East Texan now). DH and I lived in Plano when we were first married.

Another latecomer to the party! We just booked our cruise yesterday, this is our first cruise so still trying to figure everything out. My DDs are 11 and 6 and are so excited!!

Another latecomer to the party! We just booked our cruise yesterday, this is our first cruise so still trying to figure everything out. My DDs are 11 and 6 and are so excited!!

Welcome aboard - I have a DD 11 also. If you have any questions just ask - it is my first cruise, but I have been reading on the Disboard for a year now so I think I pretty much know how to answer any cruise questions, but we do have some veteran cruisers that could answer better. Check out our facebook page - the link is in one of the posts here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter